Chapter Forty One: Can you show me your hand?(Null Tournament Arc)
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was as if every fibre of muscle knew that Jack had a match today and protested by aching. The first matches started at 1 so they had to be in by noon to get drawings. Jack wasn't sure of the time, and he didn't plan on getting up to check the Dial Tower he could see from his window. Tenny wouldn't let him miss it anyway, but he still glanced at the door as if the creature was already standing there. His head fell back to the pillow and eyes peeked through the brown strands to look at the brown wooden ceiling or above flooring. Perspective is really something. His mind replaying Ace's words over Stella's fight.

He remembered her watery eyes as she cheered herself up. He didn't even have words last night, she said everything they could anyway. The reward wasn't until the end of the year, and she will qualify next time, or as many tries as it takes. She would fight in normal battles too and get stronger, but her tears couldn't stop instantly. Failing after trying so hard will always have a bitter taste, and she tried really hard. She is always trying really hard.

Jack turned to his side. His out of focus sight landed on the chair in his room. The mirror showing the plain wall his bed was pushed against. Drag them up. Jack sighed. This kingdom was perfect for Stella, and Jack remembers being excited. His chase for power to stop those that abuse it. To prevent the losses. To save the people he wants to save, but who did he really want to save? What was he fighting for? Every action he took was in the moment depending on how he saw others feel. He never mounted a plan to achieve a goal. Stop Ira. The only mission they walk with now that isn't showing any signs of progress. Ace wasn't even training them to get stronger but allowing them to grow in ways they wanted. Everything they have done so far was just on a whim. Given it was a whim that Jack felt was important, but was it his place to step in? Was it enough to cost lives?

Jack flipped over again. His eyes on the wall, and the looming feeling of everything in the world began creeping behind his back. His will to glance back for safety wasn't strong enough to tear his sight away from the plain boards. This kingdom would be their home for the rest of the year. Is that good? It would keep him away from random problems in the world. Saving a person. Saving an animal. Saving a kingdom. The more saving was burying him. But its better this way, to be stuck in this kingdom he dreamed about not too long ago. A whole new world that was ever moving, always exciting. A world of extravagance that people talked about. Art. Song. Sport. Chaos...it was nothing like home. His mornings always greeted by his dad at work. Jack laughed thinking about how he could never wake up before that old man. How Mathias must have lost a finger by now. He wondered if Mrs. Nevadere would have been proud. If she would have documented his exploits with a smile. What did he hope to accomplish when leaving home? Why does he miss it so much? He was called a hero. He met Virgo, and Arthur, and seen Mystical Creatures. He won fights and was called strong. Why does he feel so empty?

His hands reached for his forehead but closed on nothing. He shot up and stared over to the desk. His black headband, resting there with Tiger, stared at the above flooring, it really is a ceiling. It was time to get up. His head was starting to hurt more than his back and that scared him. He would give his all in the fight today. It would feel wrong not to. He just wasn't sure how much his all was right now.

***

It turned out that Jack had some minutes to spare before 11 when he approached the stall. King waiting in his gear again, Yuki glowing with a couple of bandages and a favour for his right leg. Soji was holding some water in his eyes, stepping away from the grill to stop them from roaming his cheek. Yuki laughed and explained how Ace was greeted with a hug from the gruff man. His gratitude for helping his son in the fight. The immense pride that came over him yesterday and this morning as a lot of people asked about 'The Heart Hero'. Jack couldn't help but smile while listening. He waited on any signs of Stella while giving his ear, but her and Ophelia didn't make an appearance. Luna had just returned from her second lonely walk of the day, stepping behind the counter like she was never missing. King, Tana and him just peeled away quietly when they realised their friends were busy due to a stall owner's emotional status.

The narrow corridors felt strangely familiar after a just a few uses. Same for the room they entered with the announcer standing behind a wooden box and in front of a chalk board. The differences included the missing champion and ex-general spectating, the showgirl drawing lots was their friend, and there were only eight fighters finding a seat in the large space. Tana wore a little pout and reached her hand into the box as quickly as possible. Her expression reminded him of her vocal outrage after she found out what happened to Stella's match. Her quick motions must be her own battle against those events. Mo's awkward grin expressed remorse as he called the names to be written down.

Match One:

Cassidy vs Roland

Match Two:

Ed

Silver eyes from the stage looked at him with a bright warm smile.

Match Two:

Ed vs Iris

Silver eyes from the stage looked at him with her mouth slightly ajar. Jack looked over to the brown irises inside the thin eyes. A smile and a nod from his opponent automatically prompted him to do the same.

Match Three:

Trance vs Titania

Match Four:

Ren vs The Butcher

The silver eyes from the stage couldn't meet the golden ones hidden behind clamped eyelids. His audible breathing masking his almost audible heartbeat. Tana ran over to the two before Mo finished his announcements.

The matches would happen on the hour, and the rest of the time will be filled by performances to hold the crowd. If a match doesn't finish in the hour, then Lance will decide who fought better and moves on to the next round. Winner of match one would face the winner of match three and same for the matches carrying an even number. Weird system, but their tradition remained unchanged for years. Jack looked at the numbers, he would have to beat Iris to face King or The Butcher. Sounds like it wouldn't be the easiest path, but it had to work.

Iris walked over to pair but remained quiet until the tall, armoured man ducked out the doorway. "I am glad to be fighting one of Tyr's students one on one. I enjoyed the little interaction yesterday, and I saw how much heart his other student had against a tough set up." The man gripped the remainder of his right arm.

"Thanks Mr. Iris. It is an honour to have a match with you. I look forward to it." Jack met his knuckles. Mo joined them in the circle.

"Ed, if you would follow Adria to the top. Lance wants you to meet some people about a sponsorship before your match." Mo met the eyes of Iris before signalling to the girl Jack was to follow.

"Well, if you will excuse me. I will see you at 2." Iris's smile was warm, but his confident demeanour brought a familiar nervousness to Jack that he hadn't felt for the day.

"I am going to tell the others about the times," King said. Tana tried to escape with him, but another show girl dragged her away behind Mo. Adria waiting at the door for the hesitant Hummingbird. Might as well.

***

Stella sat behind the counter, dodging the death stare from her sister dressing sandwiches. She took another bite of the breakfast Ace passed to her. A new recipe made of fried dough and a chickpeas curry, with a few sauces that could be added. Soji was blown away by it, but he seemed to be easily impressed today and another customer that shared an accent with Pie Man was surprised to see it there. He said it was a dish from an island off the coast of Left Left, but he told their moustache that he had some work to do before it was great. Stella still enjoyed it, but her taste obscured by the blood returning with a chew and the pressuring eye of her sister hard at work.

"I'm injured, besides you just got back yourself!" Stella turned away. Her retreating sight fell on her returning friend. "Kin...Ren! How did it go?"

"You are really energetic after yesterday." King's goldens were wide.

"Yea, Tyr told me that my mana is a lot more than it used to be, so I recover faster. Nothing was broken and no cuts were severe, so I am fin...I am really injured. I can barely move. Just standing up and talking to you is draining me. I need to sit."

"Are you okay?" King rushed her back to her seat. Sweat forming on her brow by just imagining Luna's violets.

"Ignore her." Tenny jumped on her lap. Her wince was genuine. "What happened?"

"Ed fights Iris at 2 and I fight at 4." King's goldens return to their natural state of worry.

"Um. What about Roland?" A middle-aged woman with orange and grey hair leaned over the counter. "I am sorry to interrupt I just wanted to speak to you if that is okay." Her brown eyes falling on Stella.

"Me?"

"Yea, I am Roland's mom. I wanted to tell you thanks for looking after him yesterday." Her voice was soft, and her body approaching gaunt. There was muscle definition and scarred hands, but her smile was warm even though her eyes couldn't focus. "I am beyond worried about him, and I can't get to him. I just wanted to talk to you."

"Sure. I have the time."

***

Jack couldn't process how he missed it before. The massive glass set into the sphere in one of the hands. He looked down at the crowd filling it. Subtle chaos as everyone had a plan and place to be but no full idea of how to get there, and who would interrupt them. Jack peeled his eyes from the swarm, not sure if they could see him. He looked to as much of the horizon he could see. He was above it all as the snow clouds gathered in the distance, already accomplishing their job of painting the surroundings white. Jack looked for signs of the sun or the gate, or buildings he recognised. Any clues for the hand they are in. Are there others? His eyes scanning each carving for any signs of glass or lighting? Is this the only one?

"This is amazing..." Jack's voice trailed; he didn't realise his forehead was already pressed against the barrier.

"It really is spectacular isn't it." Jack's hair helped him roll his face on the glass so that he was now facing the cute smile holding up the light freckles. Her blonde hair tied with elegant stands falling past her chin. Her blue eyes emerged from close eyelids. "I was totally like that the first time too. When I first saw the elevator even."

"Oh yea! This entire room is beyond imagination." Jack turned to remind himself before praising the fine details. He expected to talk about the grand hallway they walked through, bumping into the arena's elite. Far different from narrow ones they used. He expected to talk about the large room he barely watched before sprinting to the glass. Only managing to catch the views of large bar filled with bottles and barrels, a table surrounded by fancy clothing and conversation but dressed in opulence disguised as food. Things Ace probably haven't even tried. Furniture and art all lit by electrical energy in this tower of spectacle, was what Jack expected to see, but instead the aged man with green eyes stood there looking at him.

Green eyes that had no waver in them, everything perfectly still, refusing to look away. Jack skin felt like it wasn't his. Like the weight of his being was resting on his heel, just ready to shatter the glass and bolt for the stage of warriors for safety. Jack didn't realise he held his breath; he couldn't remember how to breathe calmly for a second. The heavy inhale startled him even more. Is this mana? No, nothing feels like it's moving, but Jack wishes he was. The eyes still haven't moved. Images of Vidar's smile flashed before him. Vidar's large body blocking the sun, like a bear twenty feet tall. A general. A man with that power is standing before him again. Jack felt his knees weakened and throat dried. From this second, his life depended entirely on this man and there is nothing he could do about it. This is one of the men that knows he can take the world. What could he want?

"Adria, dear, could you please inform Gordon that my guest has arrived. If you can give him a hand in bringing out the spread." The man's eye contact finally broke to fall on the girl standing before them. Jack was grateful he could breathe regularly again. Adria was normal and everything was flowing as one would expect. No signs that any time had passed, how long did Lance look at him? Jack's eyes scanned the room for any sign of elapsed moments. Why was this happening? He has seen Lance already. He didn't feel anything on the stage. Jack felt sweat form and breath leave when the green eyes pierced him again. "Edward, my boy, what do you think of...is there something wrong?"

Jack's eyes quickly dropped to his feet. He exhaled and muttered words as quickly as he could. "Heights...I think it might be the height."

"Well son, I may have made a grave mistake. Adria, dear!" The man didn't turn to see where she had reached, but he was sure someone heard him. "Tell Tally bring a glass on your way. Come take a seat Edward."

"I am so sorry Sir, I don't know what happened. You can call me Ed." The leather grabbed him. In any other circumstance, he might have found it comfortable, but it was stifling. He had to get out of his head. This isn't good for anyone.

"Fine, but I don't see the point of it. Why change such a lovely name you were given to something else?" Lance set down his cane and sat in an identical couch a fair feet away, but given the open design of the room, it would feel awkward if he was closer. Tally carefully placed a glass of water on the table, with Jack only noticing the motion from the corner of his eye. He was still locked onto the lancing greens focusing on his attire this time. The old man took out a cigar and a quick flow of green and blue chopped the end off, before Tally presented a lighter for the gentleman. Jack finally reached for the water when the eye contact broke for the exhale of smoke over his black suit holding a marbled grey pattern throughout.

"I never thought of it like that. It is just quicker I guess."

"Ah, speed. I am a fan of speed myself, what did they call you yesterday, Thunderbird?" The old man waited for a nod. "One of, if not the fastest spell to use. The simple lightning bolt is all but simple isn't it. It is a rare skill for a young talent."

The words were kind. His face was relaxed, but Jack felt an uncomfortable fear of this man knowing his strongest technique. If Stella was here, this would be so much easier. "Thanks. I just learned it recently. It takes a lot of my mana."

"Is that the Thunderbird? No way Lance, you got him up here. Great match yesterday!" A man stumbled to the couch, hovering as his eyes looked at both of them, but still, just like before, the green eyes were focused on Jack. "Hey Lance, lets bet on the first match. I think Cassidy will get it."

"I am sorry Mr. Miller, but I know you see me entertaining a guest here. I will think about your wager when I am finished."

"Lame! Guess you can't take the military out the man." The tipsy man had his cup filled by the hovering bartender before turning. "I will wait for Vincent. He will bet with me for sure. He must have a feeling about his nephew."

"It is good to have some discipline in anything. You should try it." Lance chuckled.

"Ai Ai sir." The man dragged his voice while walking away.

"You all bet privately here?" Jack placed an empty glass down for it to immediately be filled by Tally. A courteous smile from the man standing at the table. Jack was wondering if he was going to take a seat. He definitely looked happier than when Quinn had that role.

"You interested in betting?" Lance asked.

"Just currency on the whole. It's hard to get my head fully wrapped around it."

"Tell me Edward. Who do you think will win the qualifier? A rookie or a veteran?"

"A rookie, but I am biased." Jack grabbed the glass again in an attempt of drowning his nerves.

"Mr. Miller, I will take your wager. I want to bet half a million tokens on each of the rookies for these rounds. I have a good feeling." Jack's throat refused the water, but his hands caught most of it from attacking the former soldier and wonderful spread being brought out. A napkin quickly presented to him, but a cough prevented him from drying his hands completely. A laugh emerged from the old man. "You finally got some colour in your face. Looks like you are feeling better."

Jack found a breath and cleared his throat. The green eyes were smiling at him now. He was right, the nerves were eased. Who knew that almost dying can momentarily mitigate the fear of dying? "That is a lot of tokens right. Are you sure?"

"Just don't lose, is the idea, but it is trivial. Tell me Edward, what do you think of Tellacules? You are new here right." The old man leaned back ignoring the steaming dishes waiting in front of him. No one seemingly ready to enjoy the meal, just more coming in the room finding their places.

"I think it is amazing. Something I couldn't have even imagined. Electricity, tools, and the buildings. The buildings and stonework are so grand and historic. Anyone could tell the hundreds of years they protected people, and the art. The art to decorate the heroic architecture." Jack's vision on the green returned after he realised he was rambling. This time they were soft, kind, and encouraging. Jack loosing heart for panicking.

"You are a fan of crafts. I supposed you were to go into trade work before deciding on the life of, I am guessing an adventurer." Lance waited for words for evidence, but Jack's awkward chuckle was enough to show the accuracy. "But I am curious about what you think of the people. It goes hand in hand. I heard a concept a long time ago. An idea can form a group, then a group can form a kingdom, and that kingdom can create dreams for which then others dream to join."

"Oh, I think I get it. Tells is so grand because of the people that formed it. I think it has the hardest working people I have seen. The kingdom barely sleeps, and so many people are here with so many skills, but..." Jack looked past the former general. The crowd of happy faces in the expansive room. "There are a lot of people that look sad."

"Interesting. That concerns you doesn't it."

"A bit."

"That is the beauty of this kingdom my boy. It is the deep darks that let the bright shine. It is something the empire has strayed away from. Tell me something Edward. Why do you think that many villages haven't gotten electricity? Tools that make our daily lives here easier."

"It is difficult to make?" Jack was hooked.

"On the contrary son, it is just no one wants to make it. What is the reason to make so much for everyone? We have been getting by fine without it. That is the mindset the empire is stuck in. The reason our kingdom is advanced. The opportunity. The arena houses some of the best fighters in today's times because there is a reason to get strong. Well, the strongest that can live here, given that we still have rules. I am one to admit that a few of the strongest still hide in Dark Kingdoms."

"Opportunity. I understand, but why does it make people sad."

"Because not everyone can win. For there to be the best, others are left behind. For some to get rich, then others must lose. That is the dark that lifts the light. The shadows everyone is trying to avoid."

"That sounds like the complete opposite of the empire. It is so strange that a place like this exist when it contradicts the mottoes." Jack reached for a glass of water again. It felt warmer sitting next to the uneaten ham radiating persuasion.

"You are right son, but it is hypocrisy. Mera, a city of the empire, one of its biggest prides, is only possible because of the opportunities that arrive from here. The dreams that brought people here is what funded that massive eyesore on my back. Cities reek of the mottoes, but it is something you have to see for yourself. A place of only light, in which the shadows have been cast beyond its walls for the villages to reside in. The motto of the empire. Unite and all can live well. Do you know about The Power Bank?"

The sudden turn from disgust to excitement took Jack a second. "I hear it is a place for anyone to work."

"Exactly. The electricity of from this kingdom comes from there. We even power a bit of Mera. The entire heating system of Tellacules was a result of that."

"Someone told me about it. It is a large network of vents that have Syng tools and contained fire throughout the kingdom to keep snow from settling."

"It is such a wonderful feature, but to power such a system we use the mana of our citizens. Those that are down on their luck can always go and flow their mana into The Power Banks. Some even work their fully, without trying other business because it is reliable. It is the dark to the light but look at how amazing it can be. This entire kingdom is grand, wouldn't you say. Did you know that I recently left for a couple of years? I couldn't stay away, I had to come back."

"You should have stayed away from here you bag of bones." A voice grabbed Jack's attention, but it was the large cone helmet above everyone else that he noticed first. Only after he saw the muscular build of the orange hair wearing a laurel. "Your selfishness is too grand. Too much trouble truthfully. Are you going to watch the match now? I hear you have a lot of tokens on my kin."

"I will be there in a minute. I am talking to a new friend." The man took a long drag from his cigar this time. "What was I saying, age and a lot of blows to the head has caught up with me."

Jack laughed along to the grim. "You were saying that you came back. Do you think that the entire empire should be like this?"

"No no, don't get me wrong. I have fought for the ideals of this nation for years. I have given so much because of my love for what Sovalan is, but I do admit that things can be better. An adaption more than a change. Nothing is perfect.

"Humans destroy everything. We are creatures that are always in the need of change. If something remains for too long then people will figure out how to break it, how far they can push something so that it becomes self-serving. Great ideals, no matter how great, always becomes corrupted."

"I never heard that. I didn't expect a conversation like this, I thought it would have been more about tokens."

"I would be the one sponsoring you, so I was rather curious about you, Thunderbird. Well, that name is in poor taste now, being afraid of heights. Should it be Thunder...cat? We can make that arrangement."

"Yea, I can taste the irony. Is there anything else I can answer Mr. Lance?"

"Well..."

"They are coming out! Woo, get your tokens ready boys." Mr. Miller yelled loud enough for Jack to ignore the soft words coming from Lance. "Rooting for your nephew Vincent? Is he going to win?"

"Unfortunately, not. I would have told Cassidy to give him a chance, but I have a bad feeling about the other rookies this time. I need her to win so I can have more control at the top." Vincent's words were clear and calm. That must be dangerous, but everyone accepted it so casually. Mr. Miller's excitement shined through. Jack had a bad feeling, but the green eyes cut any thought Jack had.

"I am sorry Mr. Lance, I couldn't hear you."

"I was asking if you are The Hummingbird."

***

"I am not sure what to do, and I saw you help him yesterday and was wondering if you can help him again." The lady was guided behind the stall to take a seat. Stella couldn't take her eyes off her. The air feeling unusually heavy when her brown eyes zoned in. "I don't want Roland to get hurt and he is being reckless."

"Yea, it is borderline ridiculous. Why is he going so far? Oh, try this Miss..." Stella asked as King brought on the new breakfast items for the madam.

"Elodie Ronce."

"You can call me Ashe." Her name drew Ace's eyes from a distance. "This is Ren, and my sister Lana, and this little guy is Opti. What happened to Roland?"

"My husband died on duty in the military when Roland was young, because of that, Roland became close to my father. My father was a military man as well and was rather famous in our home village. He had a dignity that everyone seemed to acknowledge, but that all broke down when he was around Roland, he spoiled him rotten."

Her story garnered more visitors as Soji's workers took over both stalls, barely any customers, barely anyone in the street. The matches would begin soon, but Roland's mom looked locked into her story.

"He was also fond of my husband and gifted him the family heirloom. A Null Metal shoulder guard he proudly wore. It was supposed to go to Vincent and my husband said he would give him when he joined, but he sadly passed before my brother came of age. Vincent never wanted to join the military and Dad was very tough on him. He became strong, but he ran away from any of those responsibilities. My dad refused to pass on the guard to my brother and said that Roland would get it. Roland was little but always wanted to be like his dad and grandpa. His dream was always to join the military, but then he didn't get that opportunity.

"It was when Roland was 10, Vincent tried to run away, supposedly to a Dark Kingdom, and well he was leaving with whatever could trade to give him a start. It just happened that our father tried to stop him, and there was an accident. Vincent made it away and our dad died. Roland wants to get that guard back and stop his uncle. He left as soon as he turned 18 and came here. I followed him soon after, but I don't know what to do."

The faces in the audience all had a variation of concern, but their eyes seemed to be reviewing different parts of the tale. Stella only noticed the difference in King's lost eyes. Before she could ask, his mouth opened. "So, he killed his own family?"

"No! No...it was an accident. He isn't evil..."

"Okay, but why do you think we can help? I can tell that he doesn't want help. He is fixated on doing this on his own," Stella asked.

"I am not sure exactly, but I just feel that you can help. You look to be the same age as him, maybe you can train him? Help him reach his goals safely. I don't want him to give up on something he needs to do, and I would like him to have the family keepsake, but I am scared. If I could get him to stop I would, but I want to support him as his mother. He has no one else...unless you all."

"I understand, but I don't think I can help. I have no problem with revenge." Stella chuckled awkwardly. "I even feel infuriated with your brother—"

"Me too, I don't like it." Stella was surprised that King interrupted. He was only ever this vocal towards Ace.

"Yea, we don't like it, but my mentor doesn't believe in revenge. I can't teach Roland knowing that he will travel that road. I wouldn't be able to learn from my teacher again knowing I betrayed him, and I need to get stronger."

"But..." Elodie's weak voice didn't carry enough protest. Her eyes looked down at her worn hands as a single tear broke on the rough. "He is a good kid, and he worked really hard to get strong on his own. He always had to help around our home, and he didn't have time to practice with a teacher. I was barely around, working to refill our ledger since Vincent took everything—"

"Wait. That doesn't make sense. The government would have restocked almost everything once it was noted, and your brother's warrant is issued. Robbery is so rare that the few stories I heard make the procedure clear." Stella looked at the woman. Eyes still down and a silence stole the air.

"She didn't report him," Tenny chimed in. The twitch in her shoulders told everyone their answers. "She didn't want to turn him in."

"Miss Ronce, I think you are noble." Ace's voice felt unsure. Stella wasn't a fan of how common that unsurety had become. "I am the reason they are hesitant to help, and only our leader can readily overturn that, but I doubt he will. From what I have seen and heard; I think your son is strong enough to enter the military. I have no problem training him as he finds something else that he wants to fight for. I have trained people that have done a lot worse, but I don't want to push him on that path. There are other options to getting your family guard back."

"Oh, we can do that. We have to beat Vincent anyway," Stella chimed in, "Roland would just have to accept that."

"I understand..." It was like the few tears falling weighed her head, still unable to meet their eyes. "I just...I...I..."

"I think we are being a bit mean," King said, "I...I am sorry about all this. I don't think she really knows what to do, or what we can do. I am not sure she needs a solution now. I have a feeling that we are being mean on accident, but I don't know. I just know that this isn't what she is looking for. Right?"

Her position was unchanged, but the sounds of her fighting back tears and a runny nose told them that something clicked. Stella looked at King, his worry. Luna's expression was unbothered, and Ace looked saddened. The options were valid. It was how they felt, but how does she feel.

"Elodie. We will look out for Roland. We can't be the one to help his journey, but we will be around to keep an eye on him. You can relax a little, we are strong, and...we may...we may not always be the strongest, but we will try our best to protect your son."

He eyes finally raised. No words, but no hiding either.

"20 sandwiches!" All head turned to the worker at Soji's stall.

"Yea, 10 by 10. I am a big guy. I can't eat any less." A loud chuckle wiggled the air in Stella's lungs.

"That looks like our cue." Ace taps Soji and Yuki on the shoulder. A gargantuan hand rest on the counter. The owner was using it to support its bent body so he can look into the stall while almost completely bent over. His head sprouted from muscles that almost touched his ears but the abundant fabric that flowed from his titanic frame left the rest hidden. A deforested beard meld into his dark complexion, and long hair only on the centre of his head was tied into a tail intertwined with a singular metal chain. He was a bigger giant than the one Ophelia faced and the scars peeking from his body made him looked more experienced.

"We are closing up, but we can handle that order for you, big guy. I hope you enjoy them," Soji said as Ace moved at a rapid speed to remove prepacked sandwiches and the dressings.

"Fast hands and a healthy moustache. Interesting." The man laughed. His eyes locked onto to Stella's. "You are famous, aren't you?"

"Huh?" A collective voice made him laugh.

"You look like you would be famous, or like I would be seeing you around somewhere." The sandwiches packed and tokens placed on the table before he walked away. One already unwrapped and halfway eaten when Ophelia passed him a few footsteps from the stall.

"Did you see the size of that guy? I feel like I can take him," She said.

"I am surprised to see you moving around," Stella mocked.

"Ah, a few bumps and bruises can't take me down. Plus, it would have looked bad since I beat you guys on a daily. Speaking of that, I am glad to see you guys here and everything, but why aren't you in the arena? I am sure the match has already started."

"I don't think I can watch that," Elodie muttered.

"Oh, I don't blame you, I hear a rookie is going to be destroyed." Ophelia laughed before noticing the piercing glances from her friends. "What did I say?"

"Let's go." Stella began walking.

***

"Did you say Thunderbird?" Jack asked.

"No, I was asking if you are The Hummingbird," Lance answered.

"No way. That is ridiculous. Isn't he locked up or something." Jack tried to avoid the greens as much as he could, but he kept glancing at them. Trying to understand what they are saying as he felt his hands sinking with his heart. The leather in the couch reminding him that running was never an option.

"It is, isn't it. I just heard rumours about a headband and some brown hair. I just had to find out since there was an attack on my life. It would make sense that the new revolutionary comes after an aged ex-general for some reputation, doesn't it?" Lance's chuckle made Jack even more nervous. He didn't like the feeling of moisture forming to stick his hair onto the back of his neck. The eruption of the group staring out the window caused Jack to look away for a split second.

"Your nephew sucks!" Mr. Miller slapped Vincent on the shoulder. "You could have shown him some moves before he embarrassed you! He has been running around for almost 5 minutes."

"I am sorry Mr. Lance. I am not The Hummingbird. I would have never come to meet you if I was." Jack swallowed stifling air.

"You do have a point. I would have liked to meet him though. A new name in this stagnant world. I would have told him that Tellacules is a safe place. Even little Ors wouldn't stomp in my kingdom randomly. If The Hummingbird was here, he would have a place to compete, I would even hire him as a bodyguard. Imagine the irony of someone trying to kill me, working to protect my life."

The green eyes were probing him. Something wasn't right, but it didn't have to be wrong either. Lance was never hostile, and he has it all here. He was a general. He held a power that Jack was dreaming of. It was okay. It was okay because Lance kept it okay.

"Damn, Lance should have talked to you first!" Mr. Miller chimed in again. His obnoxious laugh made Jack feel worse. He couldn't think. "Easy tokens. You could have at least told Cassidy to take it easy on him. At least make it look good. She is killing him."

"I should have," Vincent said.

"And it is over! Pay up Lance!" The man began to walk toward the couch. Jack shot up and looked at the door. Where is Adria?

"I think I should go. I'm next so I should prep for my match."

"Oh yes, please forgive me Edward." Lance stood up and extended his hand. "I have high hopes for you in the arena. You will definitely be sponsored but a good match or a win today can really help us both."

"Yea, you better hope for that, old man. I can't take all your money in a day," Mr. Miller heckled.

"Thank you, sir, for everything." Jack desperately searched for the blonde hair girl. Her arrival came with a wave from the old man. Her exit went with the same. Jack was close behind, getting onto the elevator. He noticed her concerned stare at what must be a panicked look. He wasn't sure he had the confidence to reassure anyone. He wasn't sure what is going at all. The Hummingbird. That makes two.

0