Chapter Forty Four: Did you find your answer?(Null Tournament Arc)
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was the faint prickle on his skin from the sand around the arena sticking to his sweat, gifted from a passing breeze. What would be an irritation felt calming to the warrior that stood there thousands of times. The same distance to the screaming fans, the same textured sound when he rubbed his boot on the stage. He looked up to see the ever-changing sky that told him this match was approaching the sunset. Supplementary lights shining from the sides of the hands imitating something he could never do.

He looked across to the masked boy with illuminated golden eyes. Strange eyes that drew him in the day before but made him slowly drag his feet back an inch while waiting now. They looked more golden, like the black retreated, or changed. It is just a fight. Like the thousands he has had already.

Iris inhaled and felt a small explosion in his chest and a sudden flickering heat run through his body as if flames licked at the inside of his skin. A raging fever swarmed him, but touching his skin reminded him that it was just a feeling. He remembered how excited he was when his mom let him do the ritual when he was 13. Back when he flowed mana to his palms like water to grab onto Null Metal Ore in the fire. Letting it sear his soft skin in his hand while his mother splashed water on his forearms to keep him from cooking. Holding on as long as he could until his strength switched from a flow of water to a raging fire. The mana became lighter. He was surprised how fast and naturally it flowed to his feet and how high he could jump instantly. Iris clicked his boots and increased the temperature a bit, no point in holding back that much at the start. He inched forward.

"The match we have all be waiting for between the rookie with the biggest upset in recent times and the former champion that has beaten more rookies than anyone else. Was yesterday a fluke? Is the champion in for a rough age check? We will find out now because, THE RUMBLEEEEEEEE IS READYYYYYYYY!"

Iris bent his knees slightly, so his weight fell on his toes. He used his thumb to press each finger on his hand, but the leather disallowed any cracking. He looked at King leaning forward and placing his gloves to the ground. It was animalistic the way his back levelled out and feet stayed out of each other's way. Iris raised the temperature a bit more, the feeling that he couldn't afford to put on a show cooked in stomach.

"Just remember that the winner will be facing Cassidy in tomorrow's finals! And thank you to the lovely Kyler for showing the competitors. Now with the Century ready, we will start in, 3...2...fight!"

***

"Achoo!"

"Ewww!" Stella dove behind Jack and pushed the sneezing moustache away with her foot. "Acheww." Jack recoiled at the girl's own blast.

"I am dying." Ace dragged behind the rest of them through the narrow corridor. "Thank goodness Soji gave us the day off. Achoo!"

"It was so you didn't get anyone else sick." Tana's voice fought her nose. They finally entering a spacious room with few onlookers hovering around windows. "Ew! Ew! Your moustache! Shave it!"

"Never!" Ace grabbed the tissues she hurriedly tried to share.

"You guys are so lame." Tenny laughed from Jack's head. "I have never been sick."

"Can you get sick?" Jack looked up.

"I am not sure. How are you not sick?" Tenny gently swung the wooden monkey and newly tied jade with his paw.

"Doctor Tae gave me medicine last night, and I gave some to Luna this morning." The Little Reaper gave a thumbs up from quite the distance. Her and Ophelia slowly inching their way towards a spread of food at the back of the room.

"I rested last night so I think that helped." Ophelia received a thumbs up from her cohort before grabbing a plate.

"I am really sorry about all this Zeke." Stella turned to the pink haired boy that remained silent in guiding them.

"Don't be, I invited you guys." Zeke chuckled in stutters, while fanning his collar for any grasp of air.

"How are you feeling?" Jack asked.

"My body is way less sore, although my back hasn't decided yet," the boy answered.

"He is a tough one, no need to worry, right pretty boy." Ophelia and Luna joined them with filled plates that required both hands to balance. They were now faced with the obstacle of getting the food to their mouths. Luna dove in face first, before Tana snatched the plate and let the little one use her hands. "Did you do what I told you?"

"Oh yea, but are you guys sure?" Zeke looked to Tana and Ophelia in rapid succession. They both nodded vigorously, with the silvered eye girl wearing a smug smirk at the end.

"What is going on?" Stella asked.

"I may not like this, but I am going to have as much fun as I can with it." Luna grabbed Tana's shirt to stop her from wiggling while laughing. She needed the plate as stationary as can be.

"Edward, I heard that you were going to be here," Lance said from the door they just entered. No one around him besides a few unfamiliar show girls, and one Century. The entire room shifted with his presence as people whispered and stood up. All inching for a chance at conversation or just a better opportunity to listen. Jack looked around and didn't recognise anyone from the party or his sponsor meeting. There might be a ranking between socialites. "I came to see how you are feeling. Both of you."

Stella was surprised at the green eyes looking at her. They were strangely calming and inviting, as she found herself instantly ready to answer. "I am doing great. I feel almost 100%" A little flex of her bicep turned her red when she saw the embarrassment on Zeke's face.

"I am doing much better too, Sir." Jack gave a small flex with the opposite arm before Stella complimented his toe with her heel.

"Good, well that is perfect. I want to talk more about sponsorship and deals with both of you tonight. There is a party at the Palm that you guys have to attend."

"Another sponsor party?" Jack quickly tried to bite back his words.

"Part of the behind the scenes magic, but it really is an event worth attending. The night before the finals is always the best spectacle, since sour sports often don't party finals night if they lose. Besides, there will also be a great chance to discuss some plans and schedule some higher profile matches for you guys. I do look forward to seeing you tonight, I will send Adria to pick you up after the match."

"We will definitely be there." Jack spoke in a familiar tone that cause Stella's ears to perk. A conviction he often showed off in the past.

"Great!" The old man began to move forward before meeting Ace's gaze. "The mentor, correct? I do apologise for dragging them away, but we will look after them."

"I get it. Plan to turn them into champions I assume. I heard that champions always remain champions in Tells." Ace pinched the bridge of his nose.

The ex-general twisted his face in disgust for a quick second. "They do. I do hope you feel better young man. If you would excuse me." His heel spun him effortlessly towards the door he just entered. Adria waving to Jack before her heel mimicked her boss.

"The match we have all be waiting for between the rookie with the biggest upset in recent times vs the former champion that has beaten more rookies than anyone else. Was yesterday a fluke? Is the champion in for a rough age check? We will find out now because, THE RUMBLEEEEEEEE IS READYYYYYYYY!"

"You seem sure," Ace said to Jack as they all found their place by a window. "This is because what you told us last night? That you plan to stay in Tells."

"Mhm. It is the best for everyone." Jack's eyes glued to the warmup movements of the berserker, studying what he missed the first time. "You guys are great with the stall, and it is really fun. Luna can eat as much as she wants, and Stella can fight; King is happy wherever you are and well I am happy if everyone else is happy. Waiting for Ira here is the best option."

"You want to see the world more. You won't be happy, and it isn't what I promised." Ace's defeated voice brought Jack to a small sigh.

"It's fine. I have seen more than I could imagine already, and I can't say my heart has the strength to see more. Here is safe until it's time to go home. Trust me."

"I will for now, but you don't seem to be trusting yourself."

***

Iris tore his toes into the ground leaving a small crack when diving forward. He held back on the distance his first step would take him just to gauge the speed King would approach with. It was the right call as the boy barrelled towards him. Iris stomped his feet as a brake, quickly reach down into the foothold and ripping the stone tile from the floor. The rushing opponent had no distance to avoid it but the way his gloves shattered the makeshift shield, it didn't look like he had any intention anyway.

Iris grabbed onto to the leading fist and twisted his body to aid his opponent forward, but holding on as tight as he could to snap King into the other direction, crashing his back onto the stage. He brought his fist down onto his opponents face but drew back when he realised that he crashed into a spike somewhere on his forehead. That hesitation allowed for King to grab him by the ankle and swing his feet up for a kick into Iris's chest. Using the same momentum to land back on his feet, the boy rushed again.

Iris parried and blocked all the attacks. They were wild and didn't have a sense a rhythm. The complete opposite of Jack's fighting style. Nothing felt like it was baiting him, all felt like they were trying to blow him away, but it required little effort to swat away every signalled strike. Iris stepped back with the advances only to punch him with every overreach, but the boy charged unphased. It felt like he was hitting a stronger berserker. Like a finished brick against a jagged boulder. He would have to wait for some of that mana to deplete, luckily King's style and aggression leans to that happening sooner than later.

"It is too early to tell if yesterday's fight was a fluke, but we can clearly see Iris have the rookie under control. It looks like The Wildflower is taming a beast."

King dove low and clawed into the ground raising the tile Iris was standing on. Iris jumped off with the aim of stable footing, but King lunged at him and gripped onto his thigh. The glove feeling like a bite, but the boy was climbing forward. Iris aimed a cross for his chin, but it was chalked by the closest forearm. King's free left connected with Iris's jaw taking him to one knee, Iris didn't realise his hand was free by the time King landed the second punch. The icon clawed at King's hood to pull him away. His trembling fingers readjusting its grip before he was finally able to lift the aggressor.

King didn't hesitate in the face of this obstacle as he locked his fingers and pressed into the scalp of legend before crashing his knee into the bridge of Iris's nose. The tall man crashed on both knees, but he shook the daze quick enough to swat King away with a powerful forearm. The crowd cheered with the rolling of the rookie. Iris tried to get to his feet quickly, but his ankle wavered, and King was already coming.

With his hand on the ground for balance, the legend used his lean to gain momentum into a diving shoulder on shoulder crash against the charging boy. They both quickly rolled to their feet before exchanging combinations. Blood ran from King's eyebrow, and Iris could taste his busted lip. Ribs felt like they were shifting, failing, and his stomach felt like it shrank more and more with each blow. All of that paled in comparison to the feeling of being on fire. The feeling to burn brighter. Iris released as much as he could, not sure if he could outlast his opponent anymore, he decided to out muscle him.

It was not a good plan by comparison, but standing toe to toe with the golden eye genius was something he felt he needed to do. To fight here at his strongest and put this rookie in his place. Tell him that he is a few years too early to dance with the icons. The burning mana must be working as a confusion took hold of the golden eyes after a body punch didn't faze The Wildflower.

Iris reached for the back of King's head and put all his effort in guiding it into the stone floor. He felt the stage shake after the impact but looking down showed two cracks in the ground under the gloves, with his face teasing the tile. Iris felt his feet give way as pitch black whips tore through the ground to attack him. He dodged the licks, but King was free, and the dark mimics swirled from his gloves like a raging fire. The black sparks dancing away from it but hitting Iris skin like metal beads thrown at him.

Iris tried to gain as much ground and understanding as he could. Dark fire? Isn't he wearing gloves, is the palm open? He was careless as the tendril of black flame hit his leg like an iron whip. Feelings and sensations that weren't matching the image in his head. He looked to the golden eyes of his opponent only to notice that half of his hidden face was taking by the dark flame. It was dancing on his skin like it was alive, not taking more, but not showing any signs of retreating. Iris punched at the black only for he knuckles to sting slightly. His knuckles? How can that be?

"There is the dark mimics from the Dark Turtle. It looks to be a bit different from what we are used to seeing but another rookie steals the show with cool magic. What more can you want from this Null Qualifier? Hold on to your socks citizens of Tells, because it looks like there might be another upset!"

Iris didn't feel it until Mo's words shook the crowd. He might lose. His leg was burning with every retreating step he took, but his opponent wasn't relenting. Each punch came with a few whips of the black flame and immediately chipped away at Iris stamina. It was getting harder to breathe and he couldn't avoid the punches forever. Why wasn't King running out of mana?

Iris rushed forward and took the brunt of a punch just to drive his knee into King's stomach. The boy slid back enough, but Iris lost feeling in his arm for a moment. It was like an iron hammer collided with his elbow. He turned on his heel and dashed towards the edge, he needed a bit of distance. The original plan would have to work. A quick glance at the Century told him that he still had 30 minutes to hope King's mana depleted. It must. He didn't know much about mimics, but everyone knew that dark mimics drain the most, and he was holding it like a force of nature.

He turned back to gauge his opponent's movement, but it was more reactive than he hoped. King swung at him, and Iris ducked and rolled grabbing at the cloak to keep from flying away. In an instant the entire crowd gasped. Iris quickly turned to see the boy teetering on the edge, his white hair catching the spotlight. No flames dancing from the gloves that slipped from his hands like they were a size to big. It was just King. The same King he talked to yesterday.

He had no other chance. He had to finish him before any mana returned. Iris dug his toes into the stone and took the first step he needed. Just enough distance to run his fist at him. Just enough to get him off the edge. Just enough for the boy to take hold of his wrist and guide him in his forward direction, holding as tight as he could onto the wrist to snap Iris into the other direction, crashing his back onto the sand.

"It is all over! Ren finishes with another ring out against another legend! It wasn't a fluke! We have another huge upset as the most unlikely rookie turns into a legend killer!"

Iris let the words wash over him enough to close his eyes and embrace the sand gritting away at his sweating skin. The cheers erupting brought a smile to his face, just knowing he was a part of something great again. Something his mother would have loved to see. He opened his eyes and looked to spotlight and any glimpse at the darkening sky he could see.

Mom! Why did you name me Iris. That is a girl's name.

You see, there was a time I had to make a trip to the nearby kingdom, and I had your sister with me as a baby. The desert sun was hot as always and just when I was about to curse the harsh lands I stumbled on a spot of green. It was no bigger than a footstep but from it, a beautiful bunch of purple and white flowers. I picked it and took it with me whenever I went into the kingdom to find out what such a beautiful flower was doing in our sands. Finally, a man told me that it was an Iris flower that must have grown from the death of a Mystical. I didn't know what he meant, but there was no denying that the beautiful flower was given a chance at life after the sadness of a passing. A new birth even in the hardest conditions.

I named you Iris, after that flower. You are my little wildflower that will always be beautiful and kind and will inspire hope around you like that flower did for me. I named you that so you will always remember that you can rise from anything little one. Nothing can stop my little wildflower, not even the hottest parts of this world.

Iris felt a warmth come from the sand below as the fire in his body quelled. The imaginary sun in the sky was replaced by a shadow hovering above him with two golden suns shining onto him. Red dripped from the around the shadowy sky but the white smile that cut through it caught Iris by surprise.

"I am not sure if I helped with anything, but I wanted to prove that you are way stronger than that other guy. You were just sad you lost your mom. There is no way you will ever lose to someone like that if you try." King reached out a hand and pulled up the tall man. "I think you are really strong Iris; you should fight for what you want."

"Thanks King. I don't know what to say." Iris followed the guiding hand of the winner and rested his body on him. They stepped together cutting through the sand as they slowly walked to the dark tunnel. "What do you think of my name? My mom named after a flower."

"I think that is really awesome. One of my dads named me after a playing card because my other dad was named after a playing card."

"This is what we came to see folks. Another reminder of the beauty in the arena, the spirit of competition. The respect between warriors as Ren helps Iris backstage. This is why Tells is the greatest kingdom in the empire, am I right! A magic that can only be captured here, after a battle that could only be witnessed here! I want a round of applause for both competitors. It doesn't get better than this, folks. This is Mo Boff signing off after a beautiful night that makes me glad to do what I do. Hug your parents and kiss your kids. Tell your friends you love them, because kindness is best shared, and that was a message that the late great Nenty taught us through her reign. What a wonderful night."

***

"That is why you don't fight a Mystical." Jack laughed to Stella.

"Ugh, I wish I could have gone with them to meet him. He finally found a spark to fight. I am so proud of him." Stella took a hold of Jack's hand. Zeke and Jack's cheeks both summoned fire mimics, but it seemed for two completely different reasons.

"We can go down and see him. I will just explain to Lance after." Zeke placed his hand on Stella's shoulder. "As long as one of you remain here to go with Adria then it will be fine." His stare pierced the awkward Hummingbird.

"Excuse me." A girl with dark black hair and a subtle mole to the left of her nose tapped onto their shoulder. "I am sorry, but Adria couldn't make it, so Mr. Lance sent me to take you guys instead. My name is Ariana, nice to meet you."

"It's not too late Ashe, I can take you to meet Ren." Stella felt bad for refusing his offer but more relieved to be getting this over with. How could she not want to celebrate with her friend after winning such an awesome match?

She hurried Jack out from the room to follow an already hurried guide. She didn't mind as she clicked her boots and looked at the flooring thinking about the future matches against the dragon's son. The thrill of getting to fight Iris like the guys did. He was an icon that earned his status. It would be cool for her to get there someday. It would be so awe— She just noticed the strange look on her friend's face.

"What's wrong?"

"Something is off. Miss Ariana, why are we going this way and not to the elevator."

"Oh, the party has yet to start, so Mr. Lance had organised some clothing and gifts for you in this upcoming room. He will personally come by to get you soon." The girl broke a corner and signalled to a door. It opened to a massive and bright space with luxurious furniture and a large bar to one side. Emptied tables and sectioned areas made it seem like this room was fit for its own parties, but at the centre of the floor just past the couches was a dazzling red dress and a suit with a red tie to match.

Jack and Stella made their way to the lavish wear, but the clicking of the door behind caused them both to turn. The voice from a dark corner twisted their bodies once again. "I thought it was a bit overkill to actually put clothes out to get you in here." Vincent emerged from the shadow holding a glass of deep gold liquid.

He took a seat on the table a reasonable distance away from them. One foot still on the ground and the other dangling as he looked reasonably uncomfortable in the navy-blue suit fitted to his body, but it was hard to tell with the large smile stretched across his face.

"Normally I would have this tall scary looking man here to get the message across, but you understand what is going on here right?"

"What do you want?" Jack asked.

"Well, leverage. Your freak rookie is making an impression and that is a bit dangerous for my image. I wanted to play it up a bit more and then make him crumble, but a few others agreed we should nip it in the bud." The click of the door caught their attention once again, but it was quickly followed by a stampede of men finding themselves in front of the exit.

"How stupid can you be to think that you will get away with this. Everyone will find out." Stella turned to the orange hair man.

"Stupid? You are the fool for thinking there is any other way this can go besides how I want it. Your only way out is doing what I say, well, I guess that might not even be enough if he gets what he wants."

"All this because you are scared to lose. A weak man that is all talk. I can fight you right now." Jack clenched his fist. He knew he could trust Stella. They could get out of this and alert anyone then Ace or Tenny will find them. They have to be right downstairs.

"Oh that won't be necessary. I heard you are quite fond of heroics." Vincent signalled to the crowd behind them. Sudden screams caused their heads to turn faster. Stella recognised a few henchmen from her qualifying match. She also recognised Ariana, another girl that was there at King's match and a blonde one that drew the lots the first day. "Don't get any funny ideas. I even took three of them in case you two were quick enough to make something happen. You know Ariana, and Kyler and Adria. Well, I hope at least knowing their names brings sympathy because their lives now rest in your hands."

Jack scoffed and placed his palms together in front of him. Vincent's gaze turned to Stella that reluctantly followed suit. Men quickly rushed and bound their hands with fabric. Tight enough that no wisp could form. One took Jack's head and crashed it into the table. The wound on his forehead erupted again, spilling all over the wood pieces. Stella went to fight but she was treated with a punch to her gut from a large thug. A knee directly into her nose pushed her back into the couch. A few more of them piled on the pair keeping them from moving.

"All talk, you said." Vincent bent down and splashed the liquid on Jack's face. The alcohol stinging the open wound caused him to bite his teeth, but looking at the smug look on the champion's face caused him to keep it clenched. "You are one of the lowly people that think actions are speak louder than words. That is a fools promise the weak tell themselves to make anything happen. When you are at the top, your words are a thousand time more important than any of your lowly actions. With select words, those women are dead. You will be dead if I only whisper the command. Hold on to your pretty actions boy because anything and everything I say will haunt you until your death. That is the power of Talk."

One final signal and two henchmen brought needles to their skin. Jack felt his breath get heavier, but he wasn't sure if it was from the rage or the drug weighing on his eye lids. He opened his mouth to breathe, but he could help but look to Stella closing her eyes. His panic rang in his ears like a heartbeat until he couldn't hear anything anymore. His eyes closed on the face of his sleeping friend.

0