018 Request
2.7k 3 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bryan understood the concerns of Professor McGonagall. He didn't reply immediately but meditated quietly. After a while, he raised his head and calmly met Professor McGonagall's stern gaze.

"The crux of the matter, Professor, lies in trade-offs," Bryan began.

Professor McGonagall twitched her lips, surprised by Bryan's unexpected response.

"Choice," Bryan continued, "We all acknowledge the crisis that Hogwarts is currently facing. We don't want to witness such a disastrous outcome. But if the current dire situation cannot always be mitigated... even—"

Bryan noticed a flicker of uncertainty in Professor McGonagall's piercing eyes and spoke calmly, "Under the circumstances where the heir to the Slytherin Chamber of Secrets remains unidentified, the petrification of the two young wizards will not mark the end of this series of events. Someone else will undoubtedly be targeted next. Professor McGonagall, can you guarantee that it will only result in petrification?"

Professor McGonagall's eyes flickered several times, and her breathing grew heavier.

"Though reality may be bloody and cruel, we must confront it, for escaping cannot solve any problems," Bryan reasoned.

"I understand, Bryan—"

As the word "kill" was uttered, Professor McGonagall's frail figure trembled. She wiped her nose and her tough exterior began to crumble.

"Dumbledore hasn't explicitly said anything, but I could sense his concerns regarding the scenario you described. However, Bryan, we are not the Ministry of Magic, and we do not possess the authority to—"

"The rights and privileges of freedom pale in comparison to preserving noble lives," Bryan interjected, his voice growing assertive.

"I comprehend the school's concerns, Professor. Yes, I can envision the criticism that Hogwarts would face if the young wizards, their families, or public opinion were to discover that Hogwarts is monitoring their every move. However, I don't believe it matters. If our actions can save... even if it's just one child's life, then the doubts borne by the school, no matter how numerous, will be worthwhile."

Professor McGonagall fell silent, wrestling with her conflicting thoughts. The principles she had always upheld and her sound reasoning waged a fierce battle within her mind.

"If I were to follow my initial idea, Professor McGonagall," Bryan said, rubbing his stomach, feeling a bit hungry, "we could gather everyone in the school in the auditorium. We could employ Legilimency or Veritaserum individually in the entrance hall, and if no issues arise, we could proceed to the dormitories and remain there. Perhaps, it wouldn't take a day to resolve this matter."

"Absolutely not!" Professor McGonagall exclaimed suddenly, alarmed by Bryan's audacious plan. She swiftly refused, "Such an approach would gravely violate the law, Bryan. If we were to proceed, Hogwarts might be forced to close even before the heir makes a move!"

Bryan shrugged innocently, wearing an expression of innocence. "It was just an idea, Professor. I had no intention of actually implementing it."

Professor McGonagall finally acquiesced, as it was inevitable unless she could devise an effective plan in the upcoming semester. Hogwarts Castle housed countless corridors, towers, and dormitories. It was impossible for the student body to bolster patrols.

Moreover, who's to say prefects and professors wouldn't be targeted? If such a situation were to occur, not to mention the young wizards, there weren't many within the school who possessed sufficient strength to handle such dangerous circumstances.

"Let's keep it discreet, Bryan. Some of the young wizards... especially those from Gryffindor House... tend to be more adventurous," Professor McGonagall cautioned, carefully choosing her words.

Bryan nodded in acknowledgment, while Professor McGonagall pursed her lips, seemingly unaware of the trouble caused by some Gryffindor House students.

"Would you like to join me for dinner, Professor McGonagall?" Bryan asked cheerfully, now that the matter had been settled. He extended an invitation for them to dine together in the auditorium.

"No, I still have many matters to attend to. I'll have the house-elves prepare something for me later," Professor McGonagall declined, rising from her seat. However, just as Bryan was about to reach the door, Professor McGonagall seemed to recall something and quickly halted him. She appeared slightly distressed as she confronted the puzzled Bryan.

"There's something that just occurred to me, Bryan. I haven't had the chance to consult with Headmaster Dumbledore, but perhaps you can assist..."

Bryan blinked, surprised by Professor McGonagall's uncharacteristic hesitance. What problem had left her so visibly flustered?

"Have you ever heard of Gilderoy Lockhart?" Professor McGonagall asked, wearing an amused yet frustrated expression.

"If you mean the bestselling author..." Bryan replied, taken aback. "Yes, I have indeed heard of him, Professor. His books are quite famous. I've seen people reading about his thrilling adventures in various European countries. I've even read them myself. They are truly entertaining. Is it that you want to ask if I can obtain his autograph?"

"That's quite alright!" Professor McGonagall shook her head vigorously, as if trying to ward off pesky mosquitoes. Annoyed, she explained, "He's currently teaching at another school and was invited by Headmaster Dumbledore."

"Oh!" Bryan exclaimed, realizing that Professor McGonagall didn't hold the star writer in high regard. His eyes widened with curiosity.

"I bet he must be quite popular among young wizards... So?"

"Well..." Professor McGonagall hesitated, revealing an unusually cautious demeanor. "He may possess... I mean, he has some experience in writing books, but he... well, he doesn't seem particularly skilled at teaching, you know, Bryan. The second half of the fifth year is crucial for OWL exams, and the seventh year entails the NEWTs, which are highly significant and influence the future of young wizards. Several students have approached me, expressing their inability to receive any guidance or improvement from Professor Lockhart... So, I thought..."

Professor McGonagall looked at Bryan with anticipation, hoping he could assist.

Bryan furrowed his brow. His primary objective at Hogwarts was to locate the Chamber of Secrets and obtain the Slytherin legacy within it. His approach involved monitoring the young wizards and observing those who displayed questionable behavior.

As a result, he had to remain confined to the monitoring room all day, unable to venture outside.

"—If you're willing, I can discuss it with Headmaster Dumbledore and arrange for payment equivalent to an official professor's salary."

Bribing me with money is not your style, Professor McGonagall! Bryan thought indignantly.

"There's no need for me to grade assignments... By the way, which subject does Professor Lockhart teach? Apologies, I'm not particularly adept at Divination... Oh, has Professor Kettleburn retired?"

"It's not Divination or Care of Magical Creatures, Bryan..." Professor McGonagall adopted an unusual caution, her voice trailing off. "Well, it's... Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Boom!

Bryan swiftly turned around, hurriedly opening the door.

"Sorry, goodbye!" he exclaimed, leaving abruptly.

91