038 Guilt
2k 2 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Half past ten in the morning on the weekend, Bryan found himself standing in front of Professor Lockhart's office, a mixture of anticipation and guilt swirling within him. Despite not harboring any particular dislike for the professor with a not-so-good reputation, Bryan couldn't shake off the burden of guilt. Their previous interactions had revealed Lockhart's friendly demeanor, albeit with an exaggerated speaking style.

However, Bryan couldn't ignore the guilt he felt towards Lockhartand there were two reasons behind it. The first reason was quite obvious. Taking someone else's job without giving them any notice, especially when they were doing well as the professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts, was essentially taking someone's livelihood. Such behavior, to put it seriously, was highly unethical.

The second reason was a bit more complicated.

A few days ago, Bryan had found a way to forcefully transfer the curse that the Dark Lord had placed on this position to a voodoo doll. The benefit of doing so was that Bryan himself wouldn't have to bear the risks of the curse, and consequently, Lockhart's risk of facing the consequences of the curse was significantly reduced.

At first glance, this seemed like a win-win situation. However, it was not so.

To illustrate, the curse of the Dark Lord was like a rushing river. Bryan's way of resisting the curse was like building a dam on the river, blocking the turbulent flow of water. As long as the dam was strong, he would be safe behind it. But if one day the dam collapsed or if he voluntarily removed the dam, the water accumulated at a high level would become even more ruthless.

Of course, if Professor Lockhart resigned and ran away before Bryan, then he would have to bear all the consequences himself.

"Please come in!"

Lockhart's cheerful voice beckoned Bryan to enter the office, seemingly unaware of any unusual circumstances. "I hope he's not too mad..." Bryan murmured softly to himself as he pushed open the door.

Inside, Professor Lockhart's office mirrored the flamboyance of the man himself. The walls were adorned with an array of portraits showcasing Lockhart's charismatic charm. Even in the morning sunlight, the room was bathed in the glow of numerous candles, their reflections bouncing off the pearly white teeth captured in the photographs and nearly blinding Bryan. There's another noteworthy point: among the staff at Hogwarts, perhaps only the letters Professor Lockhart received could rival those received by Headmaster Dumbledore. The stack of letters waiting for a reply on his desk was probably five feet high.

To Bryan's surprise, he spotted Hermione standing across from Lockhart, hurriedly attempting to conceal a golden card in her pocket. Her face flushed with embarrassment as Bryan addressed her. "Oh, Miss Granger, I didn't expect you to be here too!"

Hermione stammered in response, her voice betraying her nervousness. "Go-Good morning, Mr. Watson!"

Raising an eyebrow and unable to resist a playful remark, Bryan teased her, "So, I assume Madame Pomfrey has taken care of your beautiful... condition."

Caught off guard, Hermione blinked nervously and averted her gaze, confirming Bryan's suspicions. "Oh well, congratulations on your recovery, Miss Granger, then."

Apologizing to Lockhart for the interruption, Bryan expressed his concern. "I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, Professor Lockhart, if it's inconvenient for you now."

Lockhart waved away his concerns with a warm smile. "Oh, don't leave. I can't deny one fan rejecting another fan, Bryan. Miss Granger came to express her gratitude, and we've finished our discussion!"

As Hermione's curious eyes lingered on them, Bryan realized she must have misunderstood the situation.

However, he decided against explaining the harmless misunderstanding, opting instead to enter the office with a wry smile.

Although Hermione's curiosity piqued about why Bryan had sought out Professor Lockhart, she understood that she wouldn't be allowed to stay and eavesdrop. Reluctantly, she left the office, but her departure wasn't without a small incident. In her haste, she accidentally knocked over the towering pile of letters waiting for a reply, scattering them across the floor.

"I'm sorry, Professor, I'll help you now," Hermione exclaimed, frantically searching for her wand.

Amused by her slight panic, Bryan shook his head and approached her with a reassuring smile. "No need to bother, Miss Granger, leave it to me!"

Observing Hermione panting and wheezing, Bryan took charge of the situation. His eyes scanned the messy floor and the cluttered desk until they froze upon spotting a stack of aged parchment concealed beneath the letters. Quickly regaining his composure, he snapped his fingers crisply, invoking his magical prowess. Like a choreographed ballet, the hundreds of letters, wrapped in various envelopes, floated gracefully in the air, guided by his command. With precision, they returned to their rightful places, restoring order to Lockhart's desk.

As the letters settled back into their neat stacks, Bryan couldn't help but wonder what requests were hidden within those envelopes. Nevertheless, he pushed the curiosity aside, knowing that his purpose in the office was far more important than indulging in idle speculation.

"In my opinion, you are probably the most popular teacher in this school at the moment, Professor Lockhart," Bryan remarked, attempting to steer the conversation in a new direction.

Lockhart, still somewhat stiff from witnessing Bryan's impressive silent and wandless spellcasting, immediately brightened with delight. "Indeed, it's more than mere popularity. Once you become fully integrated into the team of professors, you'll find that Gilderoy Lockhart captures the most attention among them. After all..." Lockhart's voice trailed off playfully.

Bryan blinked, taking a deep breath to keep up with Lockhart's unabashed self-praise. "How many people can claim the 'Wizard Weekly' Award for the Most Charming Smile five times in a row, be a recipient of the Order of Merlin Third Class, and an honorary member of the Anti-Dark Arts League? Of course, Bryan, you must be well acquainted with my illustrious past, just like Miss Granger, right?"

Lockhart seemed entirely absorbed in his own world, oblivious to Bryan's growing restlessness. "Oh, hehe, Bryan, I must admit, you continue to surprise me. You've worked diligently to follow in my footsteps here at Hogwarts, and now you've even managed to have a conversation with Professor McGonagall to get closer to me. Brilliant! Bryan, you stand out as one of my most ardent devotees!"

Bryan pressed his lips together, his expression growing tense. He was beginning to understand why this renowned author had become such a polarizing figure within the walls of Hogwarts. However, it also provided him with insight into how to navigate a conversation with Lockhart.

"Ahem, that's true, Professor Lockhart. I am indeed an admirer of yours," Bryan conceded, surrendering to the situation.

"Aha!" Lockhart exclaimed dramatically, chuckling with an air of self-importance.

"Yes, that's true. I applied to be an Assistant Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts to get closer to you. I hoped to enhance my own skills in your class alongside the young wizards. However, Professor McGonagall seems to think that managing fan letters and teaching hundreds of students to combat dark magic is too much for you alone. She suggests that I share the workload and teach the senior students on my own. Honestly, it aligns with my original intention," Bryan explained, doing his best to maintain Lockhart's interest.

"Needless to say, Bryan, I understand precisely what you mean," Lockhart interjected, beaming with confidence. "You wish to teach alongside me, don't you? No problem at all! Gilderoy Lockhart would never turn down a request from a devoted fan!"

Bryan was taken aback by how effortlessly he had achieved his objective. It left him contemplating how Lockhart had managed to become such a disliked figure within the hallowed halls of Hogwarts.

Before leaving the office, Bryan lingered by the door, wearing a thoughtful expression. "By the way, Professor Lockhart... Have you ever conducted any research on memory magic?"

//patreon.com/FicFrenzy

62