086 Conversation at the Black Lake
1.5k 4 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"People have always thought I was always right, omnipotent, Bryan," Dumbledore said in a low voice, his eyes fixed on the distant horizon. In the endless darkness at the center, near the edge of the world, a faint glow had floated up, heralding the imminent arrival of dawn. It was the coldest time before the break of day, and Dumbledore felt it in his bones. He took off his glasses and rubbed his eyebrows wearily, as if trying to erase the traces of his past.

"But I have always believed that the mistakes I made are much more serious than my insignificant contributions." His eyes were filled with sadness and regret as he gazed at the young and excellent wizard beside him.

Bryan did not speak, he was waiting for Dumbledore to give him a reasonable explanation. If Dumbledore could not justify his actions, then this matter would create an unbridgeable rift between the two, and even in the future may make them enemies.

He paused and sighed. "Very few people know that I was the one who visited Tom at the orphanage and delivered his acceptance letter to Hogwarts." He continued, obviously also knowing he had to give Bryan an explanation as soon as possible. He did not beat around the bush and explained directly,

"The innate arrogance and cruelty in his personality that he demonstrated to me when I first saw him in the orphanage, as well as his exceptional magical talent, made me feel uneasy. But I assure you, Bryan, I never expected that the unfortunate little boy would commit such unforgivable crimes in the future."

Voldemort actually grew up in an orphanage too?

Bryan's eyelids twitched slightly, roughly understanding what Dumbledore was trying to express.

"–In the eyes of all the professors, he was a polite, quiet student who thirsted for knowledge like food. Handsome, talented, cultured and refined. In short, from the time he entered Hogwarts to his graduation, including Armando Dippet who was the headmaster at the time, many faculty members thought his future achievements would be limitless."

Tragic upbringing, outstanding magical talent, good at self-concealment.

Bryan let out a meaningless cold laugh. To say so, he and Voldemort did have many similarities. With this lesson from the past, it was no wonder that Dumbledore had kept a close eye on him ever since that Christmas night in his fifth year!

"I think you already understand, Bryan -" Dumbledore spoke sadly, "I have always worried about history repeating itself, but I also know that I cannot arbitrarily judge your future. Since you left school, I have been caught in a dilemma: on one hand, I hope you can live within my sight; while on the other hand, I also know that you are a wizard with your own ideas. If I interfere with your choices too much through Severus, then perhaps Voldemort's past will be your future in a few years.

To be honest, I haven't hesitated like this for many years. Bryan, I've been trying to convince myself that through these years of observation, I believe there are fundamental differences between you and Tom. You have love in your heart; you don't crave power; you don't want to make a name for yourself; and you don't want to make yourself feared.

But I never dared to completely put my mind at ease. The painful history of the past shows that I always make serious mistakes on critical issues. Considering my age, I think I won't have the chance to correct my own mistakes again."

To be honest, Bryan had always respected Dumbledore in his heart.

This old man, who could be called the living history of the modern magical world, probably hadn't had many days of peace and comfort over the years. He had always worked tirelessly using his wisdom to plan for the peace and stability of the magical world. Bryan admitted that he did not have such great aspirations.

"–I don't want to deceive you, Bryan. Remus' letter describing the conflict between you and Greyback's werewolves and asking about your background intensified my concerns. I am very afraid of the worst possibilities happening to you."

"I have my principles, Dumbledore."

Bryan understood Dumbledore's concerns, but when he himself was the subject of suspicion, Bryan felt extremely helpless.

"You don't accept any commissions against wizards or muggles, right?"

Dumbledore twitched his long silver beard and looked at Bryan, whose dark brows were now furrowed in frustration. He sighed and said,

"Don't blame Kakus fawley, Bryan. It was I who went to him first to help monitor your activities in the underground world. Indeed, this rule of yours makes me understand that you try your best not to harm innocent lives. It is precisely the existence of this rule that has given me more patience. I mean, to respect your choice."

"Then why are you now trying so hard to bring me back to Hogwarts?"

The bleak night wind became a little more mild, but Bryan's mood became increasingly complicated.

In order to worry that he would sink into darkness and be unable to extricate himself, such an absurd farce was created to make him return to Hogwarts?

Bryan did not know whether he should hate or be grateful to Dumbledore for his actions.

"Perhaps you think you can always adhere to principles, Bryan," At this time, Dumbledore's eyes regained their wisdom. The purple pupils flickered with the wisdom of more than a hundred years of life,

"But I believe that if this continues, darkness will eventually erode you, this is beyond doubt. How long has it been since you stood in the world of light and bathed in the sun with everyone else?"

As the night faded away, a soft glow of pink and gold pierced the dark sky, casting a gentle light on Bryan's perplexed purple eyes Amidst the undulating sounds of the forest, Dumbledore's sincere voice asked Bryan to stay at Hogwarts to continue teaching, even if he was unwilling, he hoped that he could change his way of life and not continue to waver between light and dark, because if he went on like this, sooner or later there would be a day when he slid into darkness.

But this long night was over, and it had left unforgettable memories in many hearts. The castle was already buzzing with excitement, as the news of Ginny's rescue and the end of the Chamber of Secrets spread like wildfire from the hospital wing.

"Stop Lockhart's medication, Dumbledore."

Bryan threw the glass bottle for sealing the Basilisk to Dumbledore, ignoring the bitterness on that aged face, and strode towards the castle.

"Wait, Bryan–"

Dumbledore was not omniscient. He did not know what kind of person Bryan would become with the choices he had made. But he knew that if he forcibly intervened now, he would only push this young man with tremendous potential into the abyss.

"This is what you deserve, Bryan"

Dumbledore held out the money bag again. He suppressed all his anxiety and worry in his heart, smiling gently,

"To be honest, Bryan, although the salary given to me by the Board of Governors is not low, a wizard like me also has astonishing expenses, so I can't take out more Galleons to show my gratitude!"

"What kind of person do you think I am, Dumbledore, with eyes only for money?"

Bryan glanced at the money bag without reaching for it, "You're not young anymore either, keep this money for your retirement."

"Just take it as"

Dumbledore still insisted, "for those children in the orphanage."

Bryan's breathing quickened immediately, a tick mark appeared on his forehead. It seemed this old guy had investigated him thoroughly. If he continued to stay at Hogwarts, Bryan was very suspicious that one day Dumbledore would even know the colors of his underwear!

"We're even, Headmaster Dumbledore."

Bryan took the money bag, reached into his chest again, He pulled out a small object and tossed it to Dumbledore without a word. Then he spun around and walked away with brisk steps.

Dumbledore caught the object in his hand and looked at it with disbelief. It was a diadem, or rather, what was left of it. The metal was twisted and blackened, as if by fire. Dumbledore gasped and felt a cold shock in his heart. He stood by the lake, speechless and motionless, while the wind whipped his robes.

patreon.com/FicFrenzy

40