0199 Race (Part-5)
657 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The changes around them were not over yet. The clouds and mist that had been floating on the surface of the vast lake like a thin veil quickly gathered under the influence of magic. They formed two towering fog walls that were a mile long and blocked the view of the other side. The center of the fog walls was the narrow track for the final competition, where the boats would have to navigate through the obstacles and dangers. 

The injured ones, who had lost their ability to compete, floated up from the cabins or the water one by one, looking miserable and dejected. They drifted to the land at the classroom door, where they were greeted by the concerned faces of their classmates. The remaining five boats returned to the shore and lined up neatly.

Professor Watson, who had not appeared for a while, popped out from somewhere and faced the resentful eyes of the little wizards with a smile that seemed to mock their plight. 

"So, what to do next is obvious, right?"

Bryan pointed to the track divided by the fog wall and said cheerfully. His voice echoed across the lake, making it sound like he was speaking from everywhere at once.

"Slytherin has three groups, Gryffindor has two groups. Next, you will race to the opposite shore with all your strength. There will be some of the cute little creatures that you have just seen randomly arranged on the track. They will try to stop you, bite you, or drag you down. At the end of the track, there will be a fork, one leading to glory, one leading to failure. Only by making the right choice will you get the final victory." 

"If I were you, Potter," 

Malfoy sneered, after Professor Watson finished introducing the rules. 

"I would take that old broom and go to the owl barn to sweep bird droppings. You know,- to avoid humiliating yourself in front of everyone!" 

Harry didn't retort immediately for the first time. He supported Hermione, who was trembling with exhaustion and pain, and glanced at the Slytherins who had reached a consensus. They looked confident and smug, as if they had already won. Then he gasped and said sarcastically. 

"It surprised me, Malfoy. I thought your loyal servants were only those two idiots." 

He pointed at Crabbe and Goyle, who were sitting behind Malfoy and nodding dumbly. 

"There's no need to sow discord, Potter." 

Unexpectedly, the thin and weak boy on Millicent Bulstrode's boat, who seemed to have a faint sense of alienation from the other Slytherins, Theodore Nott, said sullenly. Harry had hardly paid attention to him before. He had a pale face and dark eyes that looked cold and calculating. 

"Longbottom won't pose any threat to us, Potter. As long as we make you fall into the water, Slytherin will win today. And, if you are injured Gryffindor will lose tomorrow's Quidditch match. This is killing two birds with one stone." 

Nott's words immediately aroused a fierce reaction from the Gryffindors on the shore who were resting. They shouted insults and curses at the Slytherins, who responded with equal venom. Ron yelled 'despicable' and wanted to rush up and give Nott a punch, but he was forced back by a look from Bryan, who raised his eyebrows and shook his head. 

'Not bad, kid, you are clever.' 

Bryan didn't say a word, but his eyes showed a faint appreciation. 

Most of the descendants of the pure-blood wizard families that had been inherited for hundreds of years were some useless prodigal sons, who relied on their wealth and status to get by. But occasionally there were a few who were outstanding under the nurturing of elite education, who had ambition and were cunning, who knew how to use their resources and allies to achieve their goals. 

Harry clenched his lips. To be honest, he knew that Malfoy and his gang had this idea from the beginning, but he was still surprised that these Snakes said it so frankly. 

"What should we do, Harry?" Neville, who was soaked by the water, blinked his eyes, looking clueless.

"There's only one way, Harry," 

Hermione, who was still pale, said softly. She looked at Harry with a determined expression, even though her voice was weak and shaky. 

"You have to give up on me-"

Harry was about to say something, but Hermione interrupted him. 

"If you want to win, you have to do this, Harry. And, Dean-" Hermione looked at Dean, who was also pale. He had been injured by the grindylows, who had torn his clothes and skin with their sharp teeth. 

"And you, Dean, you have to give up the game too. We are both in the same situation. Even if we persist, we will only drag our teammate!" 

Harry, Neville and Dean understood Hermione's meaning. Instead of keeping two people who couldn't play any role, they might as well merge the team and streamline it into a combat-effective team. In this way, they might be able to find a chance of victory in the foreseeable siege of Slytherin. They looked at each other, and nodded silently. 

"A very wise choice, Miss Granger-" 

Bryan nodded approvingly at Hermione, then turned to look at the little guys who were staggering, and said with a smile that was full of anticipation and excitement. 

"Please wait a moment, everyone. I'll take you to the hospital together later." 

Bryan said casually, as if he was talking about the weather. He ignored the groans and curses of the young wizards who were lying on the ground or floating in the water, injured and exhausted. He smiled and clapped his hands, signaling the start of the final race. 

'Do you hear yourself, is this what a professor should say?' 

The young wizards thought so, and tick marks appeared on their foreheads. They felt like they had been tricked by the professor, who had promised them a fun and educational practical class, but instead had put them through a series of dangerous and painful challenges. They wished they could hex him, but they knew that would be a very bad idea. 

"Ha, I'll wait for you at the finish line, Potter. I hope you can swim faster!" 

Malfoy laughed triumphantly as soon as Bryan announced the start of the game. He didn't waste any time, and quickly steered his boat towards the foggy track. Just as Harry expected, Malfoy didn't intend to entangle him. He knew that he had the advantage, and he didn't want to risk losing it by engaging in a fight. He gave this 'glorious' task to Bulstrode and Greengrass.

"Give Malfoy a taste of his own medicine, Harry!" Ron roared angrily with his face covered in mud, standing on the shore. 

"If you can't do it, don't expect to sleep in bed tonight!" He added, trying to motivate Harry with a threat. 

Uh– Everyone looked at Ron, including Bryan and Hermione, and they all showed a stunned expression. 

"Oh, what's wrong?" Ron shivered a few times, being targeted by so many weird eyes. He felt embarrassed and flustered, and wished he could take back his words. He looked innocently at Hermione, who couldn't help but laugh, and muttered softly, 

"I mean, I share a dormitory with Harry. Nothing else-" 

He tried to explain, but he only made it worse.

Neville's chubby cheeks were red and transparent. He inexplicably became the hope of the whole house. He felt a lot of pressure. He had never been good at anything, and had always been clumsy and timid. If it weren't for Harry being with him, he would probably collapse. 

"What should we do, Harry?" 

Neville asked, after Malfoy left. Greengrass and Bulstrode didn't follow him. They sandwiched Harry and Neville on the left and right, staring at them with a fierce and malicious look. It seemed that they had made up their minds to entangle them and let Malfoy win. 

"We can't give up, Neville!" Harry gritted his teeth and said. He felt a surge of adrenaline, and he was determined to win. The wind whistled, and the still boat shot out like an arrow off the string. Harry stared at Malfoy's back that was quickly moving away, his eyes burning with determination. But- 

"Watch out, Harry!"

Not only Neville, but also many Gryffindors on the shore anxiously reminded him. They saw the danger that Harry and Neville were in, and they wanted to warn them. They felt helpless and worried, and they hoped that Harry and Neville could avoid the attack. 

Harry turned his head urgently, but saw Millicent and Daphne, who had a cold smile and a calm look, turning their heads, forming an 'X' trajectory and slamming into his stern! 

Crack!

Harry's boat lifted its bow like a pirate ship. It was a violent and unexpected impact, and it almost threw Harry and Neville off the boat. If Harry hadn't grabbed the rudder, he might have been thrown into the water. Neville was even more miserable. He was crawling in the cabin, his right hand pressed on the wooden hemisphere on the side of the boat. The boat accelerated instantly, making his body slide uncontrollably. His face and the boat made close contact. When Harry controlled the boat, Neville, who had suffered a nosebleed, was already covered in blood! He looked like he had been in a fist-fight, and he felt a sharp pain in his nose and forehead. 

The Gryffindors on the shore were so angry that they almost overturned the roof. They couldn't believe that the Slytherins would resort to such a dirty and cowardly trick, and they wanted to protest and fight back. 

Hermione rushed to Professor Watson's face and shouted indignantly, 

"This is unfair, Slytherin is cheating, they are using despicable means to win, is this allowed, professor?!" 

"I don't see any problem, Miss Granger-" Bryan said calmly, facing the little witch's accusation. 

"Just like you and Mr. Thomas voluntarily quit the game to ensure victory, and let Harry and Neville form a team, Slytherin just chose a tactic that was beneficial for winning. I think their choice is very wise." 

Hermione's cheeks swelled red. She tried hard to turn her head and say something to refute, but she realized that she had no argument. Since Professor Watson only forbade the young wizards to attack each other with wands, Millicent and Greengrass's actions were not against the rules. 

"How are you, Neville?" 

The lifted bow slammed into the water and bounced several times. Harry, who had barely stood firm, immediately looked at Neville. He was worried about his friend, and he wanted to make sure that he was alright. He thought that Neville, who was easily scared, must have been terrified, but he didn't expect that Neville was braver than he thought. 

"I'm fine, Harry." Neville said in a panic. He wiped his nose and looked at the blood in his hand. He was stunned, but he didn't say anything. He just wiped it on his robe under Harry's worried eyes. Then he gasped and looked at the boat that was blocking the front, completely blocking the track. 

Millicent and Daphne, the two Slytherin girls, had their attention on Harry all the time. They watched his every move with a predatory and malicious gaze, waiting for the right moment to strike. Theodore and Blaise, frowned at the same time. They seemed to sense something uncomfortable in the eyes of the soft-faced little boy who looked at them again. 

"You don't have to ask for trouble, Potter and Longbottom." Blaise Zabini said. 

"It's more sensible to give up now."

"No–" Harry's emerald eyes were burning with fire. He glared coldly at the Slytherins blocking the track and said.

"I will never give up!"

*******************************

For More Chapters; patreon.com/FicFrenzy

12