Chapter 3: A Walk With Devil
74 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 After an awkward walk, we arrived at the front gate but failed to exit the building.

 

Outside was swarmed by journalists. All of them were eager to get even a single word from High Chancellor's mouth. The sheer intensity of the noise created by the journalists was nothing short of astonishing.

 

Chancellor stopped several steps away from the door. "Ah, I was almost exiting the building." He turned towards me. "Sorry young Leo. It appears that my arrival somehow got out to the public. The media picturing us together won't be a problem for me, but sadly I can't say the same for you."

 

I slightly bowed forward. "Thank you so much for caring about me, though I am actually thankful. The game hasn't started for me, and I have no plans for exposing my identity this early."

 

A devilish smile appeared on Chancellor's face.

 

"What? That smile doesn't mean any good."

 

"Oh, it's about the game, but don't let me spoil the surprise." He began walking towards the exit but stopped one step behind the sensor. "Five, escort Mr.Leonard to my vehicle using the back door, and don't get spotted."

 

One of the winged bodyguards grabbed me by the arm and began walking towards the other side of the building while Chancellor and other bodyguards moved forward to greet the journalists.

***

 

[Name: Julius ????

 

Position: Leader of the United Defence Council and de facto leader of Earth.

 

Allies: The High Chancellor

 

Nationality: Unknown

 

Affiliations: United Defence Council

 

Height: 2 meters and 54 centimeters

 

Age: Unknown, over hundred and fifty

 

Abilities: Unknown number of abilities, but some known ones are being: Teleportation, energy manipulation, enhanced physical strength, endurance, and speed]

 

***

 

Chancellor took his time and gave a lengthy speech that satisfied journalists' urge for information before entering the armored black limousine parked at a secluded alleyway.

 

"Ah, sorry about keeping you waiting. There were many young journalists in the crowd. I saw the insatiable thirst for information and the relentless pursuit of breaking news in their eyes and got fired up."

 

That firing up caused me to wait here for an hour. "Oh, don't worry about keeping me waiting. Of course, giving a slightly altered version of the same speech about humanity's future to some journalists on every occasion is certainly an excuse worthy of my time, and it's not like you forcefully changed my schedule without a prewarning anyways. I only wish that you gave adequate care to find the best pose for your front-page photograph. I like the ones that put your long silver hair into the center, how to say it, they make you look more uniting."

 

"Well, I never looked them that way, and I am also glad you are not annoyed by this." He snapped his fingers twice. "To the airport, let's not waste more time."

 

The car began accelerating forward. And after taking some turns and evading indie news networks on ambush, we entered the highway. Roads are surprisingly open.

 

"Now, now, Leonard, how are you doing." So, he decided to start a conversation.

 

"I am doing good. Entrance exams added some action to my stale life. Though, I might do better if I didn't get forced into this little competition."

 

"Well, I am just here to talk about that. I made you fight in these two matches because of formality. Congratulations." He began clapping his hands. "You can now be an official student or Arsenal. Your class will be just two hours away from your junkyard."

 

"Your offer is tempting, but I made my decision long ago. I will not join Arsenal. No matter how much you try to persuade me." There are four major academies in this world. Horizon, Hammer, Dragon, and Arsenal

 

Hammer and Dragon are too closed, so Horizon and Arsenal are my only two options, and between the two, Chancellor's words are divine rules in Arsenal, compared to Horizon. That's why he wants me there.

 

"Alright."

 

"No- Wait." That was unexpected. I am sure he put something behind this, but let's play into his hand for now. "I am surprised."

 

"I just shot my shot. You are free to make a choice. My current goal is to bring you to a special place. Have you hacked documents about X program, or were you too busy preparing for the matches?"

 

Do you mean the special classes for hand-picked students to find a successor for legendary BlackWing? Were those documents even secured?

 

"Good. That means you also know you have an invitation, a golden one, served on a silver platter."

 

"And what if I decline it?"

 

"Sadly, your freedom of choice ends there. I talked with your father, and he already accepted it."

 

"What? I know my father. He won't accept such a thing without consultation with me!"

 

Chancellor raised his hand, palm facing outwards. "Let's not overreact. I have no plan on using your brain in the front lines. What I want you to do is, play along. Remember, you are a contender for my succession, but you will need strong people behind you, take this program as an opportunity to recruit them."

 

I took a deep breath. Alright, this makes sense, to some degree, at least. 

 

"But don't think I am playing favorites. If I say what I gave to others, you might even think I am neglecting you. So I will give you two wishes at the end of this day. Use them wisely." Now, this sounds good.

 

And while we were busy talking, the limousine suddenly stopped. "Sir, we arrived." The driver pressed a button, and the doors opened.

 

I followed Chancellor and got into a private jet. We flew for two hours, and immediately after, we jumped into a car and drove for an hour before arriving at our destination. A large building complex in the Sonoran desert, away from civilization 

 

Despite this place being under construction, there were no signs of construction workers. There weren't many personal insides in the first place, two dozen armed guards, a couple of UDC agents, some medical staff, and Chancellor's bodyguards, no one else. This place feels sketchy.

 

"Here." Chancellor offered me an old-school USB stick. "You will get into the complex's system and gather whatever data you can even if I say don't, so here is a summary."

 

I put the USB in my pocket. "I'll examine that later. Let's move for now."

 

I followed Chancellor to a large spectator room decorated with various pieces of expensive furniture, albeit the highlight of the room wasn't the amount of taxpayer money spent on these luxuries. The room looks at dozens of arenas outside where countless kids around my age sparred. Chancellor threw himself into a sofa, and his body almost knocked down the furniture. "Don't stand there. Get yourself comfortable." He pointed to another sofa with his hand. "Let's watch the next match."

 

I followed his order and sat down. There is a holographic screen showing a zoomed view of selected arenas.

 

"You are the only one to enter here amongst those kids." Chancellor began changing between arenas using a retro-style tv remote until it showed a sparring match between an extremely muscular guy and a white-haired girl in a Soviet-style military uniform.

 

She has long silver hair styled into a neat bun. The girl's eyes exuded an air of determination and focus. Her overall looks, combined with the sense of authority her attire gave, made her emanate a strong aura.

 

"Oh, you are interested in Sonia?" He got up and moved closer to the screen. "She uses her saber, which never breaks despite not being a Starmetal weapon. Her ability with that blade and her near superhuman physical capabilities made her a good candidate, but." He pointed towards her opponent. "Her opponent is also great. His name is Warren, and he is simple, like his powers. He is capable of flight and has record-breaking super strength and endurance."

 

Warren launched himself into the air with a thunderous roar, then changed his trajectory towards Sonia to deliver a punch.

 

Sonia swiftly dodged the attack and caused Warren to hit the ground. The power behind Warren's punch shattered the ground beneath them, made the terrain hard to traverse, and the sound of cracks reached all the way here. The sheer force behind the blow sent tremors through the air.

 

But Sonia didn't care. She immediately got into a counterattack. She kept dashing around Warren and launched attacks from all angles. Her onslaught of slashes looked like a dance from here, but Warren's body was tough enough to endure it. Sonia's saber bounced back with sparks after each attack.

 

Chancellor closed the screen. "Now, to that surprise, I was talking about. We are here to find you allies. Get up and watch them, and tell me if anyone takes your interest."

 

I got up and moved closer to the window. "All these kids are strong. None of them are suitable."

 

"Then what do you have in your mind." He asked with a sinister smile on his face.

 

I pulled out the USB from my pocket and threw it at him. "Give me access to the UDC database, a month, and a direct phone line to you when the school asks for a reference."

 

Chancellor cathed the USB after it bounced on his chest. "I can do that, but with one condition. I will arrange a match between you and one 

of those people a week later. I will do as you told me if you win, but you will listen to me if you lose."

 

I crossed my arms in disappointment. "What about my wishes, Mr. Genie?"

 

He raised his hands with two fingers up. "Direct access to my database and references, but I feel generous." He raised one more finger." You can ask me one more thing, but I won't accept it if it's too much."

 

"I ask for a more flexible rule for equipment I can bring. Just one armor won't be enough for these people." Five tone limit will mean guaranteed defeat.

 

"Granted it, now, you want to hang a bit more or-"

 

"No. I need every second." I turned towards the door. "Let's move."

3