Chapter 6: The Body Guard
52 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Specks of sunlight sneaked through a gap between two broken slats. Summer has only begun, but Arizona's heat quickly showed itself. Temperatures reached forty degrees Celsius. Thanks to the building's central AC unit, the interior cooled. Sadly I couldn’t say the same for outside. 

Schools were going to open in two months. Time was ticking for my recruitment plan. But my father was busy, and considering his job as a prestigious UDC agent, he probably got a very long and painful-to-solve case.

I was aware of his position, but the benefits of having an official UDC agent made me a bit greedy. People usually show admiration and respect when they see agents.

Father also doubled as my bodyguard. I have an army of armed machinery under control, but I can’t simply bring them whenever I go somewhere. There are local, regional, and global regulations I must abide by to avoid trouble.

After all, I am not mainly a fighter, and considering my tendency to put myself in dangerous situations, a bodyguard is a must.

Thankfully, there is someone else. Someone I assume is free that could do my father's job much better.

I got up, moved to the other side of the room, and grabbed my phone. It is an old design, it lacks even a touch screen, but I tinkered around with it. Extended battery life, upgraded receiver, etc. It can even work as a one-time stun grenade in case of emergencies. It looked surprisingly similar to the flip phone Chancellor gave to me.

I opened the phone and scrolled through my contacts until I reached my sister's number. I took a deep breath and. "There goes nothing." The phone began ringing.

She picked up her phone not long after.

"Hello? Leonard?" A girl with a cheerful voice opened the phone.

I sighed in relief. I expected more anger in her voice.

"Yes, it's me. We haven't talked in a while. How are you doing."

"As usual, but after the entrance exams, I got lots of free time, so I am wasting my days in small, decorated cafes, but let's stop the chit-chat for now.” Her tone changed. “What is the reason for your sudden call." 

I tried to keep my calm. "I called you to give you heads up. I am coming to Europe soon. Today, if I manage to find a plane lifting today. If you are free, I like to meet."

“Wait, really?” Some excitement rose from her voice, momentarily breaking her feigned anger. She coughed. ”I mean for what. Aren't you busy?" 

"Well, I give you the details tomorrow, but it is mostly about school."

"Alright, I am waiting for you." She hung up the phone.

"Well," I looked at my phone to see the time. "Half past twelve, I got time." Using the chip, I opened the page of the booking service I commonly use. No direct flights to Prague, but there is a flight from Phoenix to Berlin. The plane leaves the airport in five hours, and only two seats left.

I bought the ticket without a second doubt and then grabbed a large duff bag for my stuff. "Now, I need someone to drive me to the airport."

 

*** A day later, in Prague.

 

I arrived in Berlin yesterday. One of the UDC dormitories had spare rooms, so I took a short nap there before leaving for the train. I visited a famous pastry and grabbed a box of six chocolate-filled Berliners. Neglecting my family is my mistake. Despite being my only relative, I barely talked with my sister for the last year. Buying desserts is a fitting punishment for me.

The train was fast and on time and dropped me close to the city center. She said she would wait for me around the city center.

Next to the train station, there is a parking lot filled with small electric cars. Those cars are driverless taxis, you enter the location you want to go and pay the predetermined price, and the car takes you there.

I approached the booth looking for the cars. A guy, who appeared to be bored, was waiting for customers. “Good morning.”

"Good morning. One person or two." He asked while typing something onto a computer, then put a tablet in front of me. “Your destination, please.”

"For one, and I only have a handbag. There is no need for extra space." I entered the location my sister sent me.

"Alright." He entered the last bits and raised his head. "That I'll be twenty-five Euros or thirty Globals. We accept both cash and card."

After the payment, a car exited the parking lot with its doors.

Shortly after, I arrived on a street filled with cafes outside the city center. And there she waits, sitting at a small tea shop decorated with marble flower bouquets covered in vines.

I moved to her table and grabbed a seat for myself. "Sister."

Olivia put her tea down. "Leo."

I put the gift I brought to the table. "I brought something you might like."

Olivia quickly took a peek inside and smirked when she saw the contents. "If you think some expensive sweets will save you. But, I accept it for the sake of our siblingship. Now, what is the reason for your visit." She is still acting angry, but I can see a little smile on her face.

"About school. Oh, and talking about it. I heard you passed your physical examination with flying colors and did great on paper tests. I suppose you are going to Horizon." I clapped my hands. "Congrats."

Olivia reached for her bag to take something and threw her acceptance letter to the table. The smile on her face grew, but it suddenly disappeared as if a bad thought suddenly surfaced in her head. "Yes, but about you. Weren't you going to Arsenal? I am sure Chancellor will be glad seeing you next to him." There was disappointment in her voice.

"About that." I gave a quick look around to find any curious ears. It is not like what I am doing is secret, but I want privacy, regardless of the importance of the knowledge. "Good." I turned back to Olivia. "Arsenal is controlled too much by him. I'd rather stay away from him unless necessary."

She moved closer to the table’s center. "Hammer, Dragon, perhaps Ocean, or Bastion. Which school will you choose?"

I put a large, smug on my face. "You guessed everything but the answer."

I swear I saw a lightbulb appear above her head. Then she jumped out of her chair. "Wait, for reals?" But her excitement was short as she quickly sat back to protect what remained of her calm demeanor.

I managed to keep myself from bursting out laughing. Then I pulled out a small card and put it on the table. The card opened and expanded and projected a holographic image of a constantly changing list of students.

“I am planning on putting a team before school starts,” I pointed to the screen with an open palm up. “And these are people around our age I choose as candidates.”

She grabbed the holographic screen and began inspecting the students. "These all look somewhat strong. This one's sweat is a highly deadly toxin, and there is a strong telepath. Ah, this one has one-of-a-kind regeneration ability." She enjoyed herself by surfing through different candidates.

I coughed to take her interest.

“Sorry.” She put down the projector.”

"Back to what I was saying. Recruiting these people alone won’t be easy, and our father is busy with work. So I came to you since you are someone I can trust.”

Olivia gave me a confident nod. "Piece of cake, but we got to put out a contract for my services.”

I pulled a black credit card from my pocket and put it on the table. "One getting payment equal to their ability is something I deeply support. Name your price. My bank account has enough."

"No, I didn't mean that.” She pushed away the credit card. “You know we only have each other and father. And father, well, he is always busy with work, and you are touring around the globe for that stupid heir to Chancellor's position training, and here I feel like only one without a purpose. I don’t want money. I want a promise that, for any reason, you won’t push me away after this team assembles, at least without a valid reason." 

She is right. We are a small family of three. We don't have anyone else. And until two years ago, I never left her side. We were always together, even when we were still inside that damned underground facility.

Just understood my mistake, I averted my eyes. "Olie, I am sorry. I know one sorry won't be enough. I ignored you for two years. Now, I know there will be scars but let me take the first step in mending our relationship." I got up and opened my arms for a hug.

Olie jumped out of her chair and hugged me. “Just a promise is enough.”

With that, I got myself a strong bodyguard and took the first for mending my relationship with my sister. Though, I still feel bad. Perhaps it is because I know how soft and forgiving she is for her family and how I abuse this.

 

5