Chapter 65: A Blessed Good Night
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Our priority will be working on your root chakra,” Relias advised out of the blue, dispersing my already scattered thoughts as we walked through the now quiet camp.

Chakras… Raeonna had mentioned a different one.

“Solar plexus,” I sluggishly recalled aloud. “Someone… someone once said that was the one that was blocked.” We don’t need to add a layer of complication to the discussion, right? I mean, who’s up for freely sharing that they can sometimes hear the voices of another’s long-gone companions?

Relias shook his head with a sad smile. “That may also be true, but Muladhara, located at the base of your spine, is the energy center that serves as a foundation for the others. If we do not work on it first, there is little hope for aligning Manipura.”

“Oh.” What else could I say to that mini-lecture?

“How about we start now?” With a subtle nod, he calmly removed his sandals and indicated I should do the same. Has he just lost it?

Hesitantly, I complied, stepping out of my boots before picking them up. “I’m not sure what we’re doing here…” Ugh! That smell! I need a bath so, so bad…

“You should remove your socks as well.” Don’t walk downwind of me if you want to live!

He grinned and stepped off the dirt path. “Think about what you’re feeling with your feet.”

As I made contact with the dry ground, I felt the crisp crunch of the cool grass tickle my toes, cushioning their impact. “Okay…”

“You’re connecting with the very earth created by Euphridia herself. Is it not a grounding experience? No matter what may come, it will be there to support you. This is the first gift Euphridia gave us.” His pun was perceptible, even if he didn’t emphasize it.

…Okay, so yes, I touched grass. You know what? It helped, so I can’t say it was bad advice. I felt compelled to run a little when he did, but I only made it for a few seconds before that exhausted feeling crept back over me, claiming me for its very own. Guess his magic circle’s blessings finally wore off.

“You win,” I said, slowing my stride to catch my breath. “How much farther?”

“Your quarters are right over here,” he pointed to one of many tan tents aligned in a row. “Let’s connect with it.” Connect? What, it’s a smart tent?

There was nothing extraordinary about the tent itself, but there were a few items inside I hadn’t expected to see. It had a new bedroll, seemingly standard issue, accompanied by a rugged rucksack filled with an assortment of odds and ends, presumably to replace those I had lost upon my surrender. The brand-new white oak bo staff propped up in the backhand corner caught my eye the most.

“Tetora was distraught that you ‘misplaced’ your old one,” Relias advised as I gripped it tightly, looking it over its waxed length in genuine appreciation. “He instructed me to advise you, at length, of the importance of retaining this one, but I believe he will remind you of this regardless of what I say.”

“I’m gonna have to do so many burpees to pay him back…” I chuckled softly.

“A burpee?” Relias’s brow shot up. “I am unfamiliar with the term.”

“Ah… nothing important!” Just a form of fitness torture.

Relias considered the bo staff in my hand for a few moments with a slight frown. “It is an intriguing choice for a primary weapon…”

“It has good range and packs a nice wallop!” I smiled. “It has other uses outside of combat, too.” Like doubling as a walking stick or reaching that annoying spot on my back. Also good for poking when someone’s snoring too loudly!

“Mmm…” he hummed non-noncommittally, looking around the tent. “It would be best to bless it in conjunction with your other equipment since you are keen on using it…”

“Right now?”

“Yes. I do not want to leave you without proper protection,” he murmured, placing my sword and shield in the middle of the tent. “If you would rest your bo staff and armor here as well, we can get started.” We?

Self-consciously, I turned away to strip myself out of my armor, ensuring none of my garments revealed anything unsightly. “I’m… sorry about the smell… Things have been a bit intense lately.” There was no way he could ignore it, even if he were a gentleman.

“Rae,” he began with a chuckling exhale. “I assure you, my last four weeks have been spent in the constant company of the cavalry, riding day and night tirelessly. Believe me when I say I have been subjected to far more unpleasant odors this past month than anything present in this room.”

“If you say so…” After placing my armor in the center, I sat on the ground where he indicated.

Relias sat cross-legged opposite me, with the assortment of equipment piled before us. “Might I request the honor of clasping your hands in a gesture of mutual trust?” he inquired, extending his arms across the space between us, reaching for my fingers.

“Alright,” I replied after wiping off my hands. “Like this?” I locked my fingers with his.

“Indeed. Divine blessings are amplified when we unite our efforts. I ask that you simply allow the amity to flow freely through you after I begin the invocation.”

Needing more concrete instructions, I started to mumble. “You mean… I should…”

He grinned. “Just hold my hands and relax, that’s all.” You make that sound so easy. Holding hands with a handsome guy is the opposite of relaxing!

“Holy Euphrida, sacred and revered be your name, I offer my earnest prayers for all of your abundant blessings to be relinquished upon your chosen champion,” he announced as a blazing white magic circle enveloped the tent, engulfing us in its ascending celestial gleam. “May your divine guidance inspire her, your holy will serve as a bastion of strength, and your resolute faith in her be realized as she fulfills her destined Purpose. May all those who support her endeavors be similarly blessed, and may every instrument birthed from your divine inspiration render her unwavering assistance, serving as guardians and facilitators on her sacred journey. Holy Euphridia, in your name alone, I ask for your mercy as she seeks to fulfill her required role in your Everlasting Covenant.”

Father Baram’s original blessing had been short, sweet, and succinct. Relias’s benevolent benediction, however, transcended to an entirely different plane, both in its linguistic length and spiritual skill. As he spoke, I felt the flow of amity both around me and then ultimately within, pulsing in perfect harmony with each beat of my heart. The pillar of celestial light that had illuminated us slowly dissipated, leaving everything, including us, coated in a residual ethereal glow.

“Well… It is reassuring to see I have retained some of my advanced abilities,” Relias expressed in relief. “I must confess, the prospect of experiencing another failure at invoking her blessings would have left me considerably disheartened.”

“Wait.” I let go of his hands. “You were… nervous about it not working? You sounded so confident!”

That is the key,” Relias agreed. “Confidence in one’s abilities is crucial, and naturally, faith in Euphridia is paramount!” That secret second key was probably the most lacking on my part...

“I see… huh?” I looked at my hands and arms, noting the pristine glow of my garments. “Did we just get cleaned and pressed by holy magic?”

“I did say all blessings…” He shrugged with a shy smile. No long-winded explanations… He’s coming out of his shell.

“Just admit it. You couldn’t stand the stench any longer!”

“That would be rude!” he gasped.

“So?”

Visibly flustered, he placed his hand on his chest defiantly. “I assure you, I would never say something so insulting!”

I grinned, unable to help myself. “Right, you’d just think it.”

“Yes, I would keep it to my—” he stopped, turning bright red.

Giddy from the exchange, I fell back to lay on the ground as I laughed obnoxiously.

“You’re… different…” he said in a soft murmur.

“Yeah… I get that a lot,” I replied, staring at the ceiling tent.

“What just happened?!” Nora’s voice invaded the tent before she dashed through the flaps with her stuff. “The tent was glowing!”

“Lady Nora,” Relias, still crimson, stood up as if he had been caught red-handed. “I assure you that I was merely offering a blessing—”

“Aw man, I wanted to see!” Nora threw her rucksack down in disappointment. “Promise me you’ll show me next time!”

“I… You… Yes, of course,” he bowed, still out of sorts. “Allow me to help set up adequate sleeping arrangements…”

After regaining his composure, Relias positioned our bedrolls meticulously, ensuring they were in a ‘commanding position,’ whatever that meant, where our heads, in sleep, would point to the southwest.

“While you go about your evening rituals, I will prepare some tea to enhance a good night’s rest. I believe it will be valuable as part of a standard regimen.”

“What kind of tea?” Nora asked suspiciously.

“Nora!” I exclaimed, shocked she would even insinuate that he would…

“Ashwagandha root and cloves,” Relias responded.

“Skip the cloves; I’m allergic,” Nora advised, giving me a look. “That’s why I asked.”

“Oh…”

“It will be as you say,” Relias bowed again to Nora before exiting.

While Relias was gone, we prepared for bed, and I gave her the short version of the evening’s events.

“Hmm…” was her only response.

“All that, and just, hmm?” I asked, perplexed.

“Tomorrow. Let me absorb it all tonight, and I’ll give you my feedback tomorrow. Okay?”

“But…”

“And no worrying about it, okay?”

Well, there was always the overt approach to avoiding anxiety, I suppose, even though it never worked. “Alright… Hey. Are you allergic to anything else? I feel like I should know about these things!”

Nora shook her head. “Nothing else so far, just cloves.”

The tea Relias returned with was quite astringent. “I don’t suppose there’s any sugar or honey lying around anywhere…” I looked up at him, hopefully.

“Well…” he reached into his robe. “I did find this apple if you would like—”

Another dry, chewy apple. “No thanks, I’ll just stick with the tea.” I sipped it as a show of good faith, willing myself not to make a face.

“You’re… sure?” he said, his eyes widening. “You don’t like apples?”

“I’m sorta sick of them, to be honest.”

“So different…” he shook his head.

Nora gazed at him from just above the edge of her teacup, hiding her expression behind it. “You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

Relias flinched. “My apologies; I intended my words only as an observation! To be different is by no means a detriment… It’s just that… at present…” He looked around nervously. “I am somewhat at a loss regarding the most effective ways to assist you...”

Nora chuckled. “Too easy! Don’t worry, I’m only messing with you.”

“Messing…?”

“Ah…” Nora set her cup down. “I should stop. I’m engaging in playful banter while having some fun, though you don’t seem to be aware that it’s merely in jest.”

“Oh! Well… I…”

“Don’t worry, you’ll understand me better as you get to know me,” Nora reassured him.

“I will look forward to that day,” Relias bowed again. “But it is getting quite late, and I should take my leave.”

“Yes. It’s best if you take her in small doses at first so you can build immunity,” I sipped my tea as elegantly as possible, pointing my pinky skyward.

“You get a point for that one,” Nora conceded before figuratively releasing Relias. “Thank you for everything today. We hope you sleep well also.”

“I will ward your tent upon my leave,” Relias advised. “I do not want anyone to enter without your permission. You can come and go as you please, but only those others with the keyword may enter. I’ll pass it on to Aleph, Vernie, and Tetora.”

“Thank you,” I replied sincerely with a yawn. “See? It’s already working…”

“Sleep well, Rae,” he said again before leaving on silent feet.

Nora gave me a slightly guilty look after the tent door collapsed. “Maybe I went a little overboard.”

“Since when do you worry about things like that?” I asked.

“I missed you too,” Nora replied sincerely. “But I’m not letting you get me for a third time tonight. Get some sleep!”

“Yes, ma’am.”

[Disclaimer 1: I do not profess to be any sort of expert on chakras, and there is an excellent likelihood that in this work of fiction, they may be depicted in a manner that does not align with any published chakra beliefs, traditions, or systems. At best, they may be represented here with alternative interpretations as merely a meditation aid meant solely for our fictional characters. Their representation herein is not intended to diagnose or treat anyone.]

[Disclaimer 2: I do not profess to know or understand the TikTok, but because I somehow managed to lose half a day's writing today, I decided to get myself involved with it as a distraction, even though I knew better.] https://www.tiktok.com/@euphridia/video/7320719927822896414

 

 

0