Chapter – 29 Aftermath
107 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rin scoffed, amused by the high-hanging cube device emitting the voice that had just said she had completed the assessment.

‘Don't think I was supposed to win, eh?’ she murmured.

By the time Rin realized that the doppelganger could learn and match her abilities, she knew that it was an impossible fight, hence the word ‘survive.’ And survive was the thing which she should have done, but... she wanted to win. Or rather, for sake of a better word, all she wanted the entire time was a fitting fight, just to see the extent of her capabilities. Although, the only thing she received in the end was but a brief satisfaction along with revealing a portion of her true capabilities to the crowd.

‘Oh well,’ she sighed as she opened her status tab.

Level: 29

HP: 49,500/ 3,500

MP: 7,891/100,000

The doppelganger hadn’t pushed her very far in the fight in terms of health and physical injury, most likely because she didn’t engage in melee combat. But she did end up expending more than 90% of her mana in the final seconds of the fight just to guarantee the victory.

Closing the screen, Rin suddenly tensed as she heard the same grinding noise from earlier. But immediately relaxed when she saw that it was just a panel on the far end. It slid open and revealed a similarly designed narrow hall to the one that she had arrived in.

Rin assumed it was the exit as she cast a final glance towards Emma’s group. Hoping that they wouldn’t be able to estimate just how large her mana pool was.

Heading through the hall, she was led down a set of stairs before emerging into a white tiled room. A middle-aged woman wearing the association’s uniform along with a set of narrow glasses sat behind a wooden desk.

[Mage – lvl 64]

“Congratulations, applicant Rin, on completing your assessment of the Nexus Trials.” the woman said, reading from a notepad. “Your scores are as follows. Manipulation and application of mana, high. Strategy, above average. Stamina and endurance, high. Adaptability, exceeding. Variation of skills, below average. Overall combat ability, exceptional.”

The woman finally raised her head with lips that slightly curved upwards. “Your control over mana hasn’t been something we’ve seen in a while. Combined with your remarkable ability to adapt according to the situation, it has proven that your low level should not be underestimated. While the numbers you put up are also quite shocking. Even for a level forty, the damage you theoretically achieved would be surprising...”

The woman paused; a knowing glint appearing in her eyes before she continued. “I presume you have the irregular title? Or perhaps, another title of the sort.”

Rin was a little surprised at the woman’s words, but kept her face neutral, careful not to reveal anything.

‘Might be more common than I thought.'

The woman then carefully placed an elegantly crafted medallion on the table. Its sleek black surface bore engraved runic markings that gleamed with silver. It was her name.

“Anyways... This is your proof of accomplishment and measure of strength. The highest rank, obsidian. With this, you are able to join any team that would have you, which they should all be wanting you. Assuming that you catch up in level of course.”

‘Valerie, chill out. It’s been barely a week and you’ve already reached the highest rank of something,’ she mused to herself, reaching over and taking the medallion from the table.

As she turned to leave, the employee’s voice once again rang out into the air.

“Child, a second please,” she said.

‘I’m not done yet?’ Rin thought, glancing over her shoulder with a frown.

“Am I not free to leave?”

For Rin, these types of systems only suited to annoy her. She didn’t understand why all these rankings, and such needed to be so tedious. All she wanted to do was fight and kill monsters, not dilly dally in some... testing facility. Yet another side of her was also impressed by the infrastructure and efficiency. There was a reason why her former world didn’t have cities like Rellea.

The woman released a sigh. “You are free to leave whenever. But do you not realize the magnitude of your feat?” Are you not happy with what you accomplished?”

“No, I am... well,” Rin scratched her head. “Happiness. I’m not too sure abo—”

“I don’t know if this stems from your ego, or that you harbor genuine confusion. But understand that this is no regular feat. You are the fourth to have won against the Echo.”

“Eh?”

Rin raised a brow, confused by what the woman just said. There was no way that she was only the fourth to have defeated this so-called Echo in a city of tens of thousands.

“That’s it?” She asked. “That can’t be correct right?”

The woman frowned. “Why would I be lying? The Echo is designed to be the perfect replica of its opponent, it is supposed to be unbeatable. Yet you have achieved something that so many others could not. Shouldn’t you be grateful? You can live the rest of your life with fame surrounding your name. Not just that—” her eyes flickered with spite. “You could have everything you ever wanted!”

‘But what’s the f*cking point,’ Rin thought and frowned.

She wondered where the woman was getting at as all this seemed like pointless information to be telling her. Sure, she had accomplished an unnatural feat, but shouldn’t it be expected of her as the strongest reincarnee of a fallen world?

‘Ah. I get it now,’ her frown turned down into a deep scowl.

It was envy. A disgusting human emotion, and yet it existed within everyone. Rin could see it now, the woman was jealous, filled to the brim with that insidious trait. She could’ve just acknowledged the achievement, letting it be with a simple congratulations. But no... she just had to push it, letting envy fuel her own selfish desires and revealing her want for fame and wealth.

“You see... lady,” Rin said, her voice laced with an icy venom as a malevolent chill seeped into the room. “Fame isn’t what it seems.”

And just as quickly as it came, the cold vanished. Leaving the woman to cough in its wake while the girl walked out the room, a brittle air of indifference surrounding her figure.

 

****

“A-aah...”

Her throat tightened, the chilling cold wrapping around the woman’s neck as she struggled to breathe. The pressure was suffocating like deep water, it surrounded her as it threatened to crush her. Then, it was released, the air imploding back into her lungs as an uncontrollable fit of coughing began.

She felt her head spinning as she clutched the table hard, gritting her teeth as she panted heavily. Her breath coming in ragged gasps through her clenched teeth, while a pale condensation could be seen just before her eyes.

‘What the hell was that?’ she thought, a bead of sweat trickling down her forehead.

Her eyes shakily grasped on the girl’s fading figure. Forty levels down, and what had once seemed like a gentle flower, now felt like an insurmountable monster.

 

****

 

Rin walked out of the room and into the main section of the building as her aura dissipated. The woman’s words only served to annoy her, but on second thought, maybe she went too far.

Rin didn’t mean to strike such a chilling reaction into the woman, it was just that perhaps their words had struck a nerve within her. Something about fame and glory... it was all bullshit. Fame, or in her case, the bad reputation she held in her former world hadn’t done her any good. One thing led to the other, and then instantly she was the villain. Challengers would constantly approach her, only to die a pointless death. While she was shunned away from kingdoms, left to lead a lonely life of murder.

Sighing, she continued to walk through the building just as Emma’s group caught sight of her.

“Rin! There you are!” Emma exclaimed with a wide smile. “I can’t believe you won!”

Rin glanced up at the girl, the others following close behind.

“Yeah! That was crazy, I've never seen a level twenty-nine so strong. Great job, kid.” the guardian complimented.

The swordsman released a snort, his chin raised high. “Hmph, you don’t think I could do that?”

“HAHAHA...” the guardian laughed heartily. His deep voice echoed through Rin’s ears as he delivered a hefty clap to the swordsman’s back. “Don’t joke around, didn’t we all see your skinny ass get whooped in twenty seconds?”

“You're so full of crap! What are you even blabbering about?! It was your fat-ass that lost in less than ten!” The swordsman’s exclaimed, his outburst attracting a few gazes as the guardian’s face heated red.

However, the two quickly noticed Rin’s disapproving stare and her hands on her hips.

“Ahem... apologies,” they muttered in unison.

“Yeah... yeah...” Rin shook her head.

Next up was the rogue. The woman approached her with narrowed eyes and a raised guard, still as cautious as ever.

‘Probably more after whatever that fight with the Echo was...’ Rin thought.

“Good,” she said quickly before slinking away.

Rin rolled her eyes, ‘What am I supposed to say. Thanks?’

And finally, the warrior. He gave her an appraising look and simply gave her a nod.

‘I like him,’ Rin thought with a grin.

The man wasn’t like the others, he didn’t seem to care about her results, and if he did, he didn’t show it. It was just like her, simple when nothing else was needed. And when the time would come for the contrary... well, she would see if he lived up to her standards.

“Gather your things,” his voice booming across, wait... why is it always booming? “We leave now for the Garden of Shadows.”

Emma released a yelp, excited at the prospect of finally leaving. While Rin faintly smiled.

‘Garden of Shadows, eh? Sounds interesting,’ Rin mused.

Following the broad-shouldered man, the team was led further into the building and out the back as they came into a large stable. Horses, Groundraken and other mounts of the like were securely stationed and ready for any adventuring party.

They waited as the warrior talked to an employee, handing over what looked to be a couple of gold coins and soon, he returned with the reins of a horse and carriage in hand.

“Let’s go,” he said and hopped into the driver’s seat.

Immediately, Rin climbed atop the carriage, claiming the roof as her own while the rest of the team filtered into the interior.

She heard a murmur from inside, it was the rogue. They were asking about her position on top of the carriage, but it looked like the warrior simply waved her away.

‘I like him even more~’ Rin chuckled, knowing that they would not get along at all.

The carriage set off, swiftly leaving the building before it was on the roads of Rellea’s outskirts. Rin looked back towards the city; the buildings were tall in the distance and the sun, just beginning its descent from the midday position.

After so long, it was finally time she headed to a dungeon as Rin let out a sigh. She had been pulled into this party against her will and while it was nice to have some security, it probably wouldn’t allow her to make the money she desired.

Regardless, she leaned back and settled her head on a makeshift pillow of snow. Counting the drifting clouds in the sky as the carriage steadily rocked its way to its destination. Rin knew that there was always another day for money.

Although, what she didn’t know was that the city was in an upset. Her name was starting to spread through whispers and rumors. Even if Rin didn’t want it, fame was inevitable for her as the people who witnessed the Echo’s defeat dubbed her with a title.

The White Princess.

7