Chapter 20: Back at Chaldea
374 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: Here's the new Chapter! Which also means the next four chapters are up on my Patreon for early access as well as the chance to vote on the direction of the story!

The 'Evil' Faction gets together to discuss their future.

-x-X-x-

The return to Chaldea is met with quite a bit of fanfare. There’s certainly nothing quiet about it. But… eventually everything settles down and everyone settles into place. Shirou in particular returns to his kitchen and no one stops him. After all, the denizens of Chaldea might only have had to do without his cooking for a couple days… but it was a couple days too long!

Lunch is prepared in short order, and the cafeteria is filled with what’s left of humanity as they all enjoy Shirou’s cooking. However, eventually that comes to a close and people split off into their own groups, either to reconnect or to discuss the events of the First Singularity. No one could have expected things to end as they did. Especially not with how quickly they’d ended.

Regardless, of all of the groups that formed in the wake of that celebratory return meal, the most intriguing had to be that of Ereshkigal, Saber Alter, and Jeanne Alter. Or at least, that was how Ereshkigal felt about it!

“I’m sure you’re wondering why I called you both here.”

The Goddess of the Underworld sits atop a crate, having picked out this location ahead of time before slipping messages to the two women currently standing before her. It’s a storage room of no large import, and thus should be relatively undisturbed for the purposes of this clandestine meeting.

Saber Alter, aka Artoria Pendragon, and Jeanne Alter, aka Jeanne d’Arc, both exchange a glance at Ereshkigal’s words. She takes this to mean that they are indeed confused by what they’re doing here. Good, very good. The blonde smiles mysteriously and continues sitting prettily, deciding she’s going to let them squirm a bit before she gives them the answer. It’s important to establish the pecking order in these sorts of situations, after all!

“You want us to form a new faction with you within my Master’s rapidly growing harem.”

Wait, what?! Ereshkigal stares at Saber Alter, bewildered at how quickly the yellow-eyed King of Knights managed to grasp her intentions. I-Impossible! The machinations of a Goddess such as herself should have been completely opaque, especially to a pair like these two! And yet, when she quickly whips her head over to Jeanne Alter as well, it’s to find that the Dragon Witch is also nodding, completely unsurprised by the other swordswoman’s assertion.

“H-How did you figure that out so quickly?!”

The looks she gets from the two yellow-eyed women are… almost pitying, but more incredulous than anything else. Saber Alter scoffs, shaking her head.

“I might have forsaken all previous ties and bonds to my past when I became what I am now, but that does not mean I forgot any of it. Just because I am no longer a King does not mean I do not know politics. Your intentions are obvious in light of my history wrangling the Knights of the Round Table.”

Meanwhile, Jeanne Alter shrugs.

“I don’t have memories like her to go off of given my circumstances, but I still had to wrangle all those Berserker-Type Servants in the Singularity. It wasn’t all that difficult to guess at what you might want from us, now that we’re all back in this place and I’m starting to get an idea of who is who and what is what.”

That… w-well, when they put it all like that, Ereshkigal supposed she couldn’t really argue with them, could she? Still! Just because they might have seen through the first level of her machinations, did not mean they’d seen all the way to the core! She was the Goddess of the Underworld, after all! Psyching herself up with such thoughts, Ereshkigal straightens her back and clenches her hands into fists in her lap.

“W-Well then? What do you two say?”

They would agree, of course. She would secure their loyalty and from there begin building a support base unassailable from any of her rivals. Including that Master of hers. Damn Rin Tohsaka for being such a bitch! Just because Ereshkigal was wearing her form didn’t give Rin the right to be so… so m-mean all the time!

“Mm… I’ll pass.”

“I too see no reason to form a faction with you two, so I’ll pass as well.”

What?! Again, Ereshkigal is taken off guard by their abrupt responses. They’re both so… so d-dismissive! It’s not fair! Especially since…

“But why?! We’re perfect for each other! You two with your similar looks, and me as the Goddess of the Underworld! We can form an Evil Faction and soon stand as a pillar of strength against those who came before us! Shirou Emiya won’t be able to forget about us then!”

Again, the two Alters exchange a glance. When they look back at Ereshkigal, they’re both frowning.

“… Just because we look similar does not make us the same.”

“Indeed. Our circumstances are entirely different.”

That… wasn’t completely inaccurate, Ereshkigal is forced to admit. Of course, Saber Alter isn’t done.

“Besides, I was summoned by my Master. My Master is therefore my Master. He cannot forget about me.”

Meanwhile, Jeanne Alter shrugs.

“And I’m a Holy Grail. Even if they need to eventually sacrifice me on the altar of saving humanity… until that happens, they can’t forget about me either. I feel like my position is secured.”

They both raised very good points! Which made Ereshkigal very unhappy! Because… that didn’t help HER at all. Currently, her only connection to Shirou Emiya was through her own Master, Rin Tohsaka! And that was an a-abusive relationship! Rin Tohsaka was a big meanie face who Ereshkigal NEEDED to find a way to stand up to… ostensibly with some heavy hitters backing her up and supporting her in her efforts!

Unfortunately, it seemed that pandering to Saber Alter and Jeanne Alter’s desire not to be tossed aside wasn’t really working. Which meant the Goddess of the Underworld needed to change tact. Personally… she wanted to have more sex with Shirou Emiya. Was that embarrassing to admit? Yes! Which was why she would never say it out loud!

However, she was well aware of the red haired man’s other major pull as well. A draw that had grabbed the attention of both women in front of her and refused to let go. That being… his cooking. Somehow, Shirou’s cooking had quite LITERALLY ended the conflict in the singularity they’d just got done with. Ereshkigal had been there for all of it and she still didn’t fully understand how that had happened.

Sure, she liked Shirou’s cooking well enough… but she liked his dick more. So really, it didn’t make much sense to her. But then, she didn’t have to understand it all in order to take advantage of it, now did she?

“Think of it this way… if the three of us band together and become a strong enough faction… then we could rise up and demand more Personal Shirou Time! Be that in the bedroom… OR in the kitchen.”

As expected, that last word gets the attention of both Alters. Two pairs of yellow eyes zero in on Ereshkigal. The Goddess of the Underworld doesn’t sweat, of course. She definitely isn’t nervous, having such an intense pair of stares leveled her way.

“Think! How was lunch today, huh?”

“… Superb.”

“Great?”

Ereshkigal nods rapidly.

“And how much better would it have been if we could have convinced Shirou to cook lunch ONLY for the three of us, hm? A private party, if you will. All that food… but only the three of us get any of it!”

She has them right then and there. She can see it in the way their eyes glaze over, the two of them imagining it. Of course, actually getting Shirou to make only them lunch after they’d all just gotten back from the First Singularity and everyone was in a celebratory mood would have been impossible. But that was neither here nor there! The possibilities for the FUTURE was what Ereshkigal wanted the two Alters to focus on.

“… Hm, Master does have a bad habit of making food for anyone who catches his attention, even when he was already making food for me first…”

“Ah… all that delicious food… but only split three ways? That’s…”

Beaming now, Ereshkigal thrusts out her hands, causing Saber Alter and Jeanne Alter to jolt in response.

“So then… do we have a deal?!”

The other two women exchange another silent look, communicating between one another for a long moment. Long enough that Ereshkigal begins to sweat… only a little bit though! Finally however, they look back at her and both nod.

“We have a deal.”

“We shall see if this… Evil Faction proves to be more of a benefit than a detriment.”

Of course, neither actually shakes her hand on it and after a moment the Goddess of the Underworld lowers her hands, somewhat self-consciously. But she’s quick to bounce back.

“Alright then! As the leader of-!”

“No.”

“I don’t think so.”

Ereshkigal blanches, as both Alters shut her down immediately.

“W-What?! But it was my idea! And besides, I’m a Goddess! You’re just a King and Dragon Witch! Obviously I should be in charge!”

“I refuse.”

“Yeah, I’d rather strike out on my own if that’s the case to be honest.”

Looking between the two yellow-eyed women, Ereshkigal’s mouth opens and closes like a goldfish. Then… then, the blonde feels a shiver go down her spine, like a premonition of sorts. Her eyes narrow in suspicion.

“You two… you’ll at least promise not to bully me, right? I get enough of that from my Master!”

Saber Alter and Jeanne Alter exchange another look at this… but this time, Ereshkigal feels like she can practically hear what they’re thinking to one another!

‘Ah, but this one is just so bulliable!’

‘I know right? I’m not sure I can hold back…’

Huffing, crossing her arms over her chest, Ereshkigal puffs out her cheeks. Finally, Saber Alter looks back at her and shrugs.

“As your… comrades, we can promise to not let others bully you quite as much.”

Beside her, Jeanne Alter nods her agreement.”

Outwardly, Ereshkigal lets out a laugh and runs a hand through her hair.

“Sure, whatever!”

Inwardly… Ereshkigal despairs.

-x-X-x-

“Whoa, wait… so you’re the same Jeanne from the Singularity?!”

It was a few days later, and Shirou found himself, along with all the others, all gathered together to discuss the next mission. Plus… one more. There, standing at Ritsuka’s side with a soft smile on her face, is Jeanne d’Arc. Not the Dragon Witch that they brought back with them from the First Singularity, but rather… the original Jeanne d’Arc… and apparently, the very same one who was summoned as a Ruler at that!

“Ah… yes. I’m not quite sure how it all works, but it seems I have retained my memories of the time I spent in that place with all of you.”

Apparently, Ritsuka had summoned a new Servant under the instructions of the Acting Director. And her summons had brought forth Jeanne d’Arc, the one they knew. Shirou couldn’t help but be a little surprised… but also a little relieved.

“Ah, I suppose that’s good then. At least not everyone in that Singularity died…”

At his words, Dr. Roman speaks up from off to the side, his brow furrowed.

“Hm? What do you mean? Mister Emiya, that’s not how the Singularities work. Rather, the people in them are in fact the people from that period of history. Once the Singularity was dealt with, Fifteenth Century France was actually restored completely. The only people who died were… well, anyone who actually died in the Singularity itself. If they died in the Singularity, then they died in history as well to make sure the timeline continued making sense. Perhaps not killed by a wyvern or a skeleton mind you, but in other more natural ways.”

That was… oh. Huh, Shirou hadn’t known it worked like that. Though now he felt kind of dumb for not just asking ahead of time. On the other hand, he can’t help but shoot a glance Saber Alter’s way, wincing as he thinks about all of the French Soldiers she cut down before he made sure to rein her in a bit more. Then, his eyes slide over to Jeanne Alter as well… his mind thinking of the burnt out husk of a town where they had their cook off. All those people as well…

… At least they hadn’t allowed things to get too bad, right? In the end, it had taken them two days to handle the First Singularity, so as much damage as had been done, it definitely could have been a lot worse! Taking no small amount of solace from that fact, Shirou lets out a slightly relieved sigh, giving the Acting Director of Chaldea an appreciative smile and nod.

“Thank you for explaining sir. I guess I didn’t understand before.”

Dr. Roman blinks before adjusting his glasses with a shrug. Then, he focuses his attention on Shirou and Rin specifically.

“Oh? Think nothing of it! Rather… instead you both have a choice to make. Ritsuka here has summoned another Servant after all. And you two have the ability to do so as well. I leave it up to you whether you wish to both summon another Servant at this moment, or immediately move onto the Second Singularity.”

Clearing his throat, the Acting Director looks down at his notes.

“What I can tell you about the Second Singularity is that it’s located in First Century Europe, specifically in the heart of the ancient Roman Empire. Beyond that, we don’t know much more yet… we won’t until you all go check it out. That said, what do you wish to do?”

Hmmm… summoning more Servants? That could be good, but also Shirou didn’t know if it was really necessary. Sure, more firepower was always better… but they’d handled the First Singularity with their current forces just fine, hadn’t they? On the other hand, Ritsuka had brought forth Jeanne d’Arc, their Jeanne at that, so if he and Rin could pick up similarly useful Servants, maybe it wouldn’t be a half-bad idea.

Of course, considering what happened last time they summoned Servants, there would likely be a delay on their departure for the Second Singularity if they were to do so again. After all, it wouldn’t be right not to give any new Servants a chance to know their Masters just like Saber Alter and Ereshkigal had gotten!

Scratching the back of his head, Shirou considers what to do.

-x-X-x-
 
The Patreon Vote:
 
[ ] Shirou and Rin decide they don't need any more back up at this time - 3%
[ ] Shirou and Rin decide to also summon a new Servant each like Ritsuka did - 15%

[X] Before he can speak up, Sakura interrupts and declares its time for her to summon a Servant! - 82%

-x-X-x-

If you'd like to read more of my work not seen on this website, check out Hentai-Foundry.com and QuestionableQuesting.com where I have over a thousand stories!

If you'd like to contribute to funding my writing at all, check me out on Patreon.com/Cambrian

Thanks for reading!

11