Ch. 23 – Discovering Truths
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Twenty-Three

Discovering Truths

“Aria Kirasa, Reaper of The Underworld. Fatally wounded by a demon. Betrayed by the world’s most powerful sorcerer.” The demon of Astaroth spoke, his words echoing the halls of the corridor within Miserth Keep, “Daughter to previous Reaper, The Lady in Red with a Father Unknown.” 

“What do you mean unknown?” A voice belonging to that of a young man with short, shaggy blonde hair and blue eyes. The voice belonged to the young Celestial, Zarall. He was standing off to the side, next to his friend from the Celestial Realm, sitting backward in a chair as he gazed at the lifeless body on the throne chair. 

“Her records don’t trace to any male demon with her blood,” Casielle replied to her friend. She was sitting next to Zarall in her seat, tracing her long pink hair with her fingers, staring in the direction of the lifeless body. Her own body is relaxed but concerned about what she is seeing. She has never seen anything like this before, even from numerous humans she’s saved. 

“What the hell do you mean they don’t trace to a demon?! She’s a halfling. She has to have a father of a demon,” the voice belonging to the hot-headed fox demon, Kurai. His demeanor was off as he slugged over the young woman trying his best to help her. The flames that danced through his body itched to help her, but he was ordered not to move on her. He was one of the realm’s most magical healers, but orders by Astaroth had been given. The respect he had for Astaroth was high. But he was scared that he may do more harm in this state than good. 

“Unless she doesn’t? Maybe she was created as an attachment to the reaper?” Zarall argued loudly, putting a hand up to his chin. 

“That doesn’t make any sense,” Another familiar deep voice sounded, belonging to the Celestial, Mati. The Dream Walker was perched on a put-out candle holder that hovered above the lifeless body. He stared down at her. As the woman’s guardian from the Celestial World, he sought ways to help her but could not figure out how. He provided her with a bit of life essence to help out. Still, he was fearful it wasn’t enough to resolve this situation. 

“Like Yuna, the Spirit Walker,” Zarall pointed out, trying his best to put his two-sense in. 

“No, she’s not a Spirit, Though. She’s flesh and blood,” Mati replied. “She is not a Spirit Walker in any way, nor was she made from the blood of the Reaper to become one.”

“You’re all useless. Get the hell out.” The nogitsune’s voice rumbled through the clearing, echoing off the walls. “Tch, you call yourself Gods of Healing. Get out.” He was fearful of the loss of the woman. He felt like he had failed; every ounce in his body ached to improve this. Kurai would give his own life to help her, but he knew that was impossible. The flames that lurked within him kept reaching out to her, but the bond between the two of them had been shattered. There was no bond, and his spells to heal her would not suffice. Another demon marked her - and he could not remove the mark. He was useless, and he felt it course through his body. 

“Kurai, you can’t kick us out. We’re Celestials, literally guardians to humans. Mati is literally her guardian!” Casielle’s voice snapped at him as she pushed the chair out from under him and approached the arrogant nogitsune. 

“I can do as I please,” Kurai scoffed, giving her a cold glare with his empty amber eyes. The demon pushed himself off the step sitting next to the lifeless woman, reaching out and wanting to touch her. But he held back; he had to. “You’ve brought back a temporary solution, Casielle. I don’t need your help anymore,” Kurai grumbled to her. 

“Temporary?!” She gasped, sounding wholly taken aback. The celestial stepped up to Kurai, hands on her hips and lips pursed with anger. “How dare you!” 

“Kurai, you need to let us work. You’re not her guardian anymore,” Mati’s voice hooted through the air, the bird turning to look at the fiery fox demon. His head tilted as he could feel the heat flicker off the man.  

“If it weren’t for you and Yushin, the Useless Walker, we wouldn’t be in this situation!” Kurai growled, pointing at the owl that sat on its perch. A small flame danced at the tip of his pointer finger, ready to fire it at the owl sitting there.

“Useless?” Yushin’s stunned voice gasped. “I’m not useless! I’ve brought numerous souls–” The Spirit Walker whipped around to face Kurai, still staring angrily at the owl on the porch. 

“Shut up before I kill you,” Kurai’s growl rumbled, his fists clenching as he glanced over his shoulder at Yushin.

A sigh filled the area, silencing everyone. “Kurai, let them work, please,” Astaroth’s friendly, upbeat voice sounded. “With the help of the Guardian, he can provide some life essence to her until we find a permanent solution.”

Another familiar voice belonging to the red-headed demon that ran the Wet Rose, Jenieva. Her voice was gentle but stern, “Kurai, you’re kind of being an ass right now. You need to back off before I make you.” Though, quickly after she spoke, her voice turned harsh and cold as she matched the nogitsune’s flaming energy. 

“Jenieva, I could tear you a new one. But you might enjoy that,” Kurai’s fiery voice replied, turning quickly to face her at the end of the corridor. 

Everyone was arguing, trying to find a solution to help this. No movement came from the woman - her chest not even bouncing up and down from tiny breaths. Sadly, she could not reassure everyone that was surrounding her. Kurai’s anger was so built up, mixed with fear.

“He drained her of her life essence. I am surprised she was not murdered there on the scene,” Zarall’s flat voice pointed out. “Most humans cannot withstand that kind of drain from a demon.”

“We’ve already had the discussion. She’s not a human - she’s a halfling,” Yushin replied to the celestial. “She’s practically half-dead.”

“But that’s not possible,” Casielle replied. “No one has seen a Halfling in a very long time.”

“Until recently, you’re right. She ages like a human, yes. But she cannot be killed like a normal human - as the blood of a demon and the Reaper course through her,” Astaroth explained. 

“This is so stupid!” Kurai growled, his anger building up even more. A loud clang sounded as his anger forced him to throw a chair at the throne room’s walls. He was angry, and everyone could see it. He was beyond words. The anger and sadness inside him were so intense that he didn’t know how to express it. He felt like his heart had been shattered into a million pieces, and there was no way to put it back together. Every thought in his mind was clouded with confusion and pain. H was mad at the situation that had brought him to this point, but he also felt heartbroken because he had lost something he had cherished. The mix of emotions was overwhelming, and he didn’t know how to deal with it - except through the anger of throwing stuff.

“Astaroth, what happens if you remove this stasis spell from her?” Zarall questioned him, completely ignoring Kuria’s rage.

“I’m not sure; I’ve never removed a stasis spell off someone before - not even a demon before… Only placed others in a stasis,” Astaroth replied with uncertainty. He gently cascaded over to the woman, gazing over her body. Currently, she was in a status that he had practiced many years on other demons. This stasis kept any of her wounds from exploring the rest of her body. It was almost like freezing someone’s body - ensuring that their blood does not take in the poison but that their brain does not become corroded. 

“Hrm, I wonder if Michael-” the rage of a female immediately cut off Zarall. 

“You will not involve that son of a bitch down here,” Jenieva’s voice crackled with rage, stepping towards the two Celestials off to the side of the room. Her red gaze was cold as she stared at the young blonde-headed celestial, who immediately put his hands up and grinned awkwardly. 

“Jenieva, show some respect!” Astaroth scolded her. “However, we shouldn’t involve Michael; I am sorry, Zarall.”

“All good…” He muttered. 

“CAN YOU ALL JUST LEAVE?” Kurai howled. Enough of the arguing, enough of their voices. He was done. He had thrown another chair against the wall, causing it to crack into numerous pieces. 

“Jenieva, take Kurai outside and dispose of him temporarily, please. Yushin, go help her,” Astaroth simply dismissed, flicking his wrist at the fox demon.

“WHAT?!”

“With pleasure, I like em’ rough,” Jenieva chuckled evilly, rubbing her hands together, and her eyes lit up with delight. She was a different breed of demon, that’s for sure. The power that Jenieva held within her was kept a secret, but she was a powerful demon. She had the muscles to hold back the nogitsune and even throw any disruptions outside the bar when needed. Definitely a barkeeper. “Let’s go, little Kurai!” 

“Be careful,” Casielle’s voice called out to them as she waved to Yushin and Jenieva.

“Let go of me!” Kurai’s voice faded out as the two of them took him away.

Within the room sat four figures; Astaroth, Casielle, Zarall, and Mati. The room fell silent after the two demons and spirit walker had left the room, causing Astaroth to begin pacing back and forth. What could he possibly do to help the woman? He was fearful that once the stasis wore off, it would wake her up, and the pain of the demon’s position would course through, causing an immense amount of pain. A sigh escaped him as his pacing fell slower, approaching the woman in the dark crystallized stasis. He stared down at her, feeling ever so sorry for her. He had no idea this would happen - or else he would have done what he could to speed up some training. Perhaps he could have taught her more potent dark magic. But this wasn’t the time to feel bad - no. This was the time to figure out a plan. What would Lord Zonoth and Lady Serelia have done? 

The memory of working beside the previous lords lingered in the back of his mind, images popping up and disappearing off his times with the earlier lords. They were strong, much more robust than Snow and even himself. Granted, he was a bit older than Lord Zonoth and Lady Serelia; he should know more than they do. But he couldn’t come across anything that would help her not feel any pain. 

“Astaroth,” Mati’s familiar voice rumbled through the dark. “If I may suggest we remove the stasis and see what happens, please? I have faith.”

“I’m not sure what will become of her, Mati,” Astaroth replied. “In all my years of being alive, I’ve never seen this happen before to the reapers. Have you?”

Mati sighed, stretching his white feathery wings out, tilting his head again. His deep, calming voice replied to his friend, “No, not exactly. I’m not sure the last time I’ve seen a halfling. The previous reaper granted she was a reaper; she was still human like Snow.”

Casielle’s voice said, “Well, what can we do?” She asked. “Zarall and I have different knowledge of bringing a bargain of light in.”

“But that involves a trade,” Zarall spoke. “To be agreed upon by the human. So that will not work.”

“... There is one option,” Mati spoke genuinely quietly.

“No, Mati. We cannot do that - there is a higher chance it will kill her than it would help her.” Astaroth muttered, annoyed.

“Would it, though?” Mati replied. “There’s been no proof, so why not try it?”

“No, I will not allow it,” Astaroth replied, immediately putting his hands out to silence the bird.  

“What is the option?” Zarall questioned, genuinely curious. He had gotten out of his chair when Kurai started throwing things. He was standing on the other side of the bed that Snow was lying on. His large, white wings stretched behind him as he gazed over the woman’s body. The wounds that lingered on her body were deep and rough. The crystalized stasis had seeped into those wounds, stopping anything from coming in or out. 

Astaroth hesitated, “We allow her demon to come out.”

“What?!” Casielle gasped, “Like, allow the forbidden magic to curse her body and transform her?! No way would work! The odds of that being able to work are slim to nothing! It would consume her like it did Enoxon!”

“Enoxon…” Astaroth echoed sadly, “I cannot believe he let his black magic win…” The voice of the demon sounded deeply betrayed. Typically, Astaroth did not show any emotion, but knowing that Enoxon had been consumed by his own upset him. He was angry that one of the strongest sorcerers allowed it to happen. His tone was filled with shock and hurt, conveying a sense of disbelief and disappointment. There was a noticeable quiver in his voice as he struggled to hold back his emotions, revealing the depth of his pain. The sense of betrayal in his voice was palpable, leaving no doubt that he had been deeply hurt. He had known Enoxon since he came to the world of Asturdorm, watching the sorcerer grow into something more. Astaroth was there from the day the sorcerer hurt his own and begged the celestial to forgive and erase his memory.

“It sucks about Enoxon, but he’s not our problem,” Casielle hummed to Astaroth. “Granted, we will need to deal with him soon. The demon escaped and took him with him. So I’m unsure what our next steps are besides waking Snow.”

“Right,” Zaralls voice joined Casielle, approaching the demons next to the crystallized lifeless body. At that moment, he could tell she was at peace. Her face was rested, and her body - as scarred and torn up as it was, was relaxed - frozen. 

Every bone inside Astaroth wanted to so severely reach out and take away the stasis just to know the daughter of his old friend was ok. The demon felt he had failed the Lady in Red and wanted to make it up to her. Had he known what was happening and how it would happen, he would’ve never released Snow to Enoxon in the first place. He couldn’t believe he was blinded by the sorcerer, thinking he would be able to control his black magic in this event. Perhaps he could’ve helped, but instead… Astaroth felt as though he had failed. 

“Mati, do you know where Yuna is?” Astaroth asked abruptly. 

“I do,” Mati admitted, glancing at the young demon. “She is in the Celestial World - but at the moment… She’s a little…. Well, tied up.”

“What do you mean?” Astaroth demanded, glaring at him coldly. 

The owl awkwardly shuffled his feet as he hesitated to reply, “The Council has her.”

“What?” Casielle asked in complete disbelief, gapping at the owl. “That cannot be true. Why would the council have her?!”

“... It’s a long story, Casielle,” Mati replied, hurt that it had to come out this way. He lowered his yellow gaze back at the young woman below him and continued, “The council isn’t as perfect as you see them. I hoped Snow could find her and bring her back, but other plans took a toll. I am betraying the trust of my brothers and sisters,” He murmured gently as he flew to the ground and landed gently beside Zarall and Casielle. Within a few seconds, the owl shifted from his form to his human form. He had long, shaggy red hair that fell lazily over his forehead and shoulders. His golden-yellow eyes sparkled with an inner light, conveying a sense of warmth and kindness. His chiseled jawline was accentuated by a faint shadow of stubble, giving him a rugged and masculine look. He stood tall, with broad shoulders and a confident stance, exuding an air of charm and charisma. He lifted his head and turned his attention to his Celestial Beings. “I am sure you have questions, both of you,” He assured them with a faint smile. “I will be more than happy to answer them - but right now, we cannot access Yuna’s magic. So please, be aware of this. The Council… They are not the best to guide souls, but with Yuna’s magic, they have been able to.” Before the celestial could reply, the man turned towards the demon and shared with him. “Please release Snow.”

The demon with piercing purple eyes glared coldly at Mati, his gaze seeming to drill into their soul as he searched for any sign of weakness or vulnerability. His expression was devoid of warmth or kindness. He was speechless that Mati had this information on Yuna and just now began to share it. “... We will discuss Yuna later,” He said, his voice rumbling in his chest as the anger washed over him. Surprisingly, he showed no signs of irritation, minus the cold glare. He crossed his arms, his long claws tapping the side of his arms as he gazed down at Mati. “You must know everything, don’t you?” He asked him.

“... Please release Snow, Astaroth.”

“I can only imagine you know the demon chasing Snow, too, do you not?” Astaroth’s voice was filled with controlled rage, measured and calculated. Despite the anger behind him, there was a sense of calmness, which made it all the more terrifying.

“... I do,” Mati responded, avoiding the demon’s gaze. “As does Kurai. I would suggest getting the answers from him.”

“Mati. I will easily dispose of you if you cannot tell me the information you know,” Astaroth demanded. “I have watched Snow grow into the woman she is today, watching over her mother - the Lady in Red.”

“As have I, Astaroth. You were not assigned her guardian,” Mati disputed, gaining the confidence to speak back to the demon. “Knowing the Lady in Red’s true identity gives me that approach.”

Astaroth clenched the side of his arms, digging his demon claws into his arm. “I’m glad we both know her identity - this does not mean you have any priority over protecting Snow.”

“Well, you certainly didn’t do the job,” Mati replied, matching the demon’s energy.

“Ook, guys!” Casielle jumped in between the two. “Tensions are high. How about… We take a break and come back to make a judgment. Astaroth, how about you reach out to Kurai, and we will get Yushin and Jenieva? Sound good?” She chimed in, driving the two powerful demons aside from each other. She could see they both knew mysteries and competed for the spotlight. They both wanted to save Snow - to reassure the previous reaper that her daughter was safe. However, this was not the way to do it. “Zarall will prepare something to eat while Mati and I discuss it with Jenieva and Yushin!” She cheered, successfully separating the two strong beings. 

Neither said a word; they just turned their backs to each other and walked in opposite directions.

Casielle sighed, glancing over her shoulder at Zarall. “It’s going to be a long night,” She commented.

Zarall didn’t reply, just stared at Snow - his brain being consumed by the thoughts that roamed regarding Yuna and the Council. What had they done? 

“Do you think it could work, though?” Casielle asked, pinching at her friend’s white sleeve. Her gaze glossed over as she finally got his attention.

“Sorry, Cas, I’m not sure,” Zarall replied, his gaze lifting to match her blue gaze. “I can’t imagine the council has Yuna... There’s no way. That’s almost like a crime.”

“It’s possible, Zarall. No one has seen the celestial wolf for a long time - since the disappearance of the previous reaper.”

“That’s not true,” Zarall remarked. “Yushin mentioned that he had seen Yuna and that Snow could see her.”

Casielle paused for a second, thinking about the possibility. She could quickly tell her friend was stressed, and her insides twisted. “Zarall, the council has never been as perfect as we want them to be,” The celestial murmured, resting her hands on Zaralls’ shoulders. She gently spun him to have him face her. “I was once told no one is perfect,” She smiled at him.

Zarall stared into her brilliant blue eyes and nodded. “Well, I guess whatever happens happens. As Celestials, we need to help out Snow - even if she is a half-demon.”

“What do you think Mati has planned?” Casielle asked him, her hands dropping into his, holding them still. 

“He’s going to force the stasis off - this will cause Snow to wake up with immense pain - torturing her, I’m sure. I’m not sure what will happen after.” He replied quietly.

Casielle’s face twisted into a frown as she lowered her gaze to the celestial now holding her hands. She tightened the grip she had on his hands and nodded. “Let’s just be there for her and the rest of them. I’m sure we’ll have some kind of demon, or Kurai, to control if he sees her in pain.” 

“Right. Come along,” Zarall said, gently dropping her hands and heading out the doors to the throne room - leaving Snow’s crystalized body there. 


 

2