Chapter Two: Transfer Student!
135 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What if a dream could last forever?” 

That is a question I like to ask myself all the time.

Falling asleep where no one can disturb you, away from the worries of life and the responsibilities that weigh on your shoulders, it seems nice and calming…

I used to enjoy going to sleep, but these days I've been having a recurring dream. Well to be more specific…a nightmare, but a dream nonetheless.

It’s always in a classroom and I only hear muffled voices all around me, then out of nowhere, people start running at me, their faces indiscernible, covered in a dark mist. Just when they are about to reach me-

“I'm up!” I blurted out loud, while the annoying buzzing of my alarm jolted me awake. 

As I looked around and noticed that it was actually my bedroom and not the classroom I let myself fall back into the bed.

It was just an instinctive reflex at that point, all the times a certain childhood friend had bonked me in the head, programmed my body to jump up and react that way. Not particularly a good way to start the day. 

<<Welp…let’s get going>> I think as I begin to get up from my bed, this time for good.

My morning routine for school is rather simple, after I beat the alarm into silence I make my way to the bathroom through the mountain of unpacked boxes scattered all around the house.

I quickly rinse my face since it helps me wake up, otherwise, I practically look like a zombie. Then I change into my beautiful school uniform…or not… It used to be a nice navy blue, but now it's an ugly dark brown. Well I can’t really complain I guess since I brought this upon myself.

Next up was breakfast. I envy the people who wake up to an already-made breakfast by their parents. Instead, what I'm greeted with are the loud snores of my sister who’s on the living room’s couch, about to fall off any given moment and reeking of booze.

 Maybe this is why she's still single who knows. Regardless, she’s family, so most of the time I just cook a simple breakfast for myself and leave two plates wrapped in foil for them for later.

“I'm off for school!” I say knowing I won’t get a coherent response.

“Ughahhg” my half-asleep sister groans back.

Say, what do you think high-school is all about? People call it the pinnacle of our youth, a time to go out and experience life, make new bonds, form new friendships or just hang out with people. But is it so wrong to just want a peaceful life?

Lately it feels like people look down on you if you aren’t an outgoing person or you get side-eyed if you’re not this party animal. I mean I guess once in a while isn’t too bad, but some people are perfectly fine with just enjoying a slow paced life. As a quote I read on Twitter once said “To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden”

Ding!

Suddenly I feel a vibration come from my pocket and on the notifications of my phone it reads:

-Three New Messages from Nakai-

<<Yo>>

<<you>>

<< up?>>

I quickly text him back.

<<Yeah why?>>

<<Just makin’ sure you ain’t sleeping in, since you missed the first couple of days of school already>>

<<Soz, was busy helping move stuff, but we gud now. I’ll be there today>>

<<Alright sounds good, see ya at school>>

Even these morning walks are nice too in their own way, the sounds of the chirping birds, crossing a bridge on top of a busy road, walking under the warm sunlight as leaves crunch under your feet.

Sometimes I think people take it for granted. With all the stress and difficulties that life can throw at you, the least we can do is appreciate the ambience that's around us.

As I continue walking I see a poster of one of my favorite idols announcing her next concert and hit single happening in my city, next to an ad for a powerful conglomerate company. 

<<I should probably buy some tickets for her show.>>

Soon enough I find myself being passed by and surrounded by many students dressed neatly in brown school uniforms. 

Some gleefully greet their friends and walk together, others joke and play around, and some are still half-asleep dragging their bodies to school. 

But before I know it, I find myself at the entrance of a large gated school campus. Tokoname-High, and the new school I’ll be attending. A new beginning and a refreshing restart to my highschool career.

“My peaceful life begins now” I mutter to myself.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Everyone please pay attention! I understand it’s still the beginning of the school year, but we have a new student coming in. He missed the first couple of days of school but I hope you will get along with him!”

The teacher could easily be heard from the hallway preparing to introduce me. If anything, first introductions are vital to one’s first day at school. 

“Kurogawa-kun you can come in now!”

As I entered, I could tell it was a class of around twenty students and their sights were all set on me. Fortunately, I wasn’t the type to get nervous during self introductions, besides most of the time students aren’t even paying attention. See? I can spot a girl at the back of the class with her head down, probably sleeping who knows.

“Nice to meet you all, I’m Naoki Kurogawa. My given name is written with the kanji characters 直樹. 直 (Na) means 'straight' or 'honest,' while 樹 (Ki) means 'tree’. My family name, Kurogawa, 黒川, consists of two kanji characters. 黒 (Kuro) as in 'black,' and 川 (Kawa) as in 'river'. I hope to get along with everyone.”

After bowing down, everyone did the usual courtesy clap and just like that I was free to sit and relax.

“Thank you for your introduction Kurogawa, as for your seat…hmm…you can go ahead and take the seat in the back right-hand side corner of the room”

<<Hmm…? The… back…corner…?>>

A shiver ran down my spine. As I looked to the back row, next to the girl with her head down was a single open seat next to a window that blew a light breeze waving the curtains around.

Worse yet, there was a suspicious ray of light being cast on that very same seat.

<<Fuck.>>

I forgot to mention, for some reason, I keep finding myself in cliche situations.

2