Chapter 1| Loot
114 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amidst the echoes of water dripping down the rocky pavement an annoying sound of metal grinding against the stones was heard.

The cave wasn't too deep. Spacious enough to house a pack of wolves nothing more. Among many others he knew, this one could easily be overlooked as its entrance wasn't easy to find in the surrounding foliage. The weeping he heard was looming closer. Dragging the sword twice his size Gob slowly approached a woman hidden in a small rocky burrow.

She was obviously different from his kin. Her skin much brighter than that of a goblin. Long locks of brown hair, previously packed tightly under the ornament on her head was now left in a mess.

The woman was gasping for air shaking, her discomfort clear to watch. Such a pitiful sight. Despite no one physically touching her she was flailing her arms like someone who undertakes serious abuse.

Gob carefully smelled the surrounding air, which caused her to shrivel in fear and squirm even more.

She reeked of ether.

Gob took a step back in disgust. It took him a while to recover from the spell's effect. Fear magic effect's were contagious, yet this young human seemed to take its force in entirety. No wonder some soldiers escaped the initial slaughter. They run away from her hiding in the forest. Gob could also be affected if he were to stay too close. She was dangerous right now. He would come back to her later.

Wait. Wouldn't she ran away from here? Gob was about to poke her with his sword, but decided against it. It was too big and there was no need to injure the girl. He instead chose a small stick.

The woman screamed loudly moving in panic. Her arms and legs were scratched. Her left leg was in an especially bad state. Despite that she ran out of her burrow crawling away from him. She didn't seem to understand what made her move. She reacted to his moves if she could feel or hear them.

Gob stood silent until her sobbing filled the cave once more. He wasn't sure what to do. Recently he was unsure of everything. He couldn't decide on the spot. He began to throw rocks at the girl. Not too close to harm her and not too far for her not to move. Sudden sounds guided her in the direction he wanted her to go.

He left her in the deepest part of the cave when she reached a simple stone ledge and lied in it. It was good enough for now. Despite the dark he felt her gaze. For a moment she realized that his presence was in fact real. Or maybe he started to see things.

He started to feel scared himself and moved away leaving his opportunity alone in the cave. Quickly walking back he left the cave dragging his giant sword with him. His work was waiting for him outside.

As he walked back to his kin, he shook his head. It was important to focus. Magic was dangerous. Coming to a hobgoblin twice as big as he was he threw the great sword he was carrying at the ground.

"You... Gob... Live?"

"Me fine."

This quick conversation was all the hobgoblin needed to know. He reached to the sword Gob had problem dragging and took it with ease. Then among shouts of others he gathered over thirty goblins and hobgoblins in one spot. Their numbers were greater than usual.

The battlefield was a mess. Many human soldiers killed that day were laying in the grass. Gob got pushed by the leader hobgoblin. Work work...

"Kreuk."

He said and pointed a good-looking corpse to his kin. They rushed to take the soldier's equipment and armor.

Goblins weren't stupid yet among his kin Gob knew better to choose what the tribe needed over the shiny junk. Goblins gathered around him presented themselves with loot they already gathered during his absence. It was quite a lot. Humans came rushing to the forest in fear. It was an easy fight for the goblins.

He moved through junk. Sometimes he praised goblins that gathered decent stuff, sometimes punched the moron who tried to take a bunch of garbage or destroyed whatever he gathered already. It was his job to choose.

One goblin tried to punch him back, yet a large hand of hobgoblin stopped him. Gob had no authority. Goblins were to work, hobgoblins were to lead. Luckily in his case ones that can show how useful they can be didn't need to work like others. He was protected by his hob.

Angry goblin ended up beaten. He was also lucky. Gob was almost sure Spinecrack would just use the great sword he gave him and kill the fool on the spot.

He continued to gather. Mostly equipment like pouches and purses witch goblins living in the mountains couldn't make themselves. He also took a dagger he liked and hid it in his cape. Among other greenskins he was a lone user of clothing. It made him stand out like a sore thumb.

The gathering trip was almost over. Whoever survived the ambush was already hunted down by the goblins or killed by the forest creatures. Gob stood next to the hobgoblin leader. He was ready to leave when a single arrow pierced through the sky and struck the ground.

The goblins were about to start a racket, but hobgoblin leader's roar brought them back to their senses. Spinecrack wasn't as foolish as others. Gob wanted to run away, but he couldn't just abandon his hobgoblin without further repercussions.

Group of knights made themselves known to the goblins. Among them a noble looking man stepped closer and looked upon the monsters waiting for their reaction. The goblins gathered in one group. It was bad to face those humans.

Gob took a step back. He wanted to just run yet a steady hand of his leader brought him back to the front. Gob gulped. His blood was boiling.

"Kreuk."

It was all the Spinecrack said, while pushing Gob forward to face the knights.

Authority isn't as unimportant when your protector is outmatched. With this thought Gob slowly approached the knights that not so long ago made the other humans run into the forest. In fear for their lives.

0