67 – Beauty in the night
1.5k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A beautiful girl was looking up, stars twinkled in between the thriving leaves. The chirping of insects could be heard. Her long glossy pink hair waved in the wind. She then looked down to the ground from the top of a large castle. She watched over her kingdom. For she was the Demon King of Heart.

It felt like looking into a bottomless hole. Since Mazoku possessed the night vision ability, they didn’t use torchlights. Besides, for the residents of this other world, going to sleep at the same time as

the sunset and waking up together with the sunrise was normal.

──I’ve become pretty tired now.

She muttered to herself.

The sound of footsteps approached her.

"Your Majesty."

He called out to him like that. A Mazoku with an imposing aura. He is a tall well-built and with red hair and eyes as well as having a pair of black horns and a bloody red gen attached on his forehead. He is handsome enough to draw attention from plenty of women but seems to be somewhat dismissive or oblivious to it as his duty always comes first. He had a well built physique and wore extravagant leather armor with gold trimming. This man was the leader of the Blade squad, also known as the six swords of the Demon King, and is not an exaggeration to say, he is the Demon King's right hand man.

His name was Valefor.

"Good work today, Your Majesty."

"Hmph…… I just hope my effort pays off."

She was a kind and gentle person, yet she always had trouble expressing herself.

Wouldn’t I offend the other person? Wouldn’t I disappoint them? Wouldn’t I be made fun of? Her head would become full with such anxieties. 

Valefor lowered his head.

"I am terribly sorry that the meeting dragged on and ended up ending at this time. Although it was necessary for the majority to reach a consensus. After all, the upcoming conference with the humans is an important event. If there are some that will try and hinder this conference…"

"I shall exterminate them."

Valefor flinched. He didn’t expect such a bold reaction. 

"N, no! The entirety of the populace has consented to Your Majesty’s decision! We all understand that it’s time to stop the war and lay down our arms. I am terribly, terribly sorry that my words were lacking and agitated your heart!"

"……U, mu?"

Although she nodded from going along with the flow, it was different from the reaction that she expected.

She thought that he would reply saying that she was harsh. Yet not even once during his servitude has Valefor objected to her decisions or choices.

Valefor changed the topic.

"Your Majesty, what you had said about this afternoon’s Demonic Beings, is that true?"

"Hmph……I don’t lie. I could feel it."

"So it’s as we thought. After the mysterious disappearance of the Demon King of Mind, the Demon King of Insanity has also surfaced. What a terrible predicament. Demon King Hekathor…"

In the past, Hekathor was an all-rounder type that used both the spear and magic, and was a formidable enemy whose attribute values were abnormally high. Especially that he constantly enchanted himself with various spells made him dangerous.

He was only put to sleep by chance. Pure luck allowed someone to find a gap in the timing of his enchantments and seal him. But in this day of age, such a thing was different. A repeat won’t happen.

If he would dare to attack, it would be better to think of him as an unknown enemy.

"It would seem that Hekathor’s objective will be the same. Assimilating other Demon Kings?"

"Yes. And unfortunately, once he regains his strength he will most likely target Your Majesty."

"Hmph……It will be fine if I just defeat them. Even if a small fry swallows up several other small fry, a small fry is a small fry! Or are you perhaps saying that he might be stronger than you? It's that what you're worried about?"

Could she really win against Hekathor? As things are now, it might be tough. But she can't hesitate. She couldn’t say she would have a certain victory. But her subordinates aren't allowed to see her inner worries. 

"Your Majesty, it truly is reassuring to have you as king. And no. Whatever enemy might come, we, the six swords, are more than capable. You needn't worry."

"Hmph…… as expected."

"It seems that our God has also approved of your enthronement. The withering trees have regained their vitality, and they have started to grow large fruits. Long have we missed such a scenery in these barren lands."

Even if the surroundings were well-lit, she was unable to differentiate between the good and bad conditions of the trees.

"……God huh."

"It seems that it has been blessed. Since this is the first time someone that is trying to achieve peace instead of conquest, I believe you have gained God's favor."

"It sure is strange."

In fact, Her Majesty believed in the complete opposite because of all the hardships she faced.

"What, do you mean?"

"Just by having me as king, you are saying the land is blessed?"

"Yes. Those are the legends at least. That was the promise with God. Prosperity shall follow when a true ruler shall rise."

"And I am supposed to be the true ruler?"

"There is no mistaking it."

"You flatter me, but we both know that I couldn't get where I am without you."

"Your praise means a lot to me, but you hold true to your convictions. You always walked the same path. I merely opened the doors for you."

"In this world, does God exist? Does He not?"

Valefor paused.

"……God does exist. However, people are unable to understand His will. And God refuses to interfere and make things clearer. Does He like war? Why doesn't he stop all this violence with a snap of his fingers? That is what I believe."

"Fumu."

"I would like to change the topic."

Her Majesty pulled a letter from between her cleavage and handed it over Valefor. He quickly read the content.

"Hou? This is rather interesting."

"Agreed. It's not typical of the Giants to do something like this. Especially considering their size, they only send out letters when it's truly necessary since it's very difficult to scale it down."

"Your Majesty it is true that we are on friendly terms with the Giants and our trade is prosperous because of them, but for them to request we accept a guest…"

"It's not just any guest. Have you heard of the Winter Fox? Apparently she saved the Giants."

"Rumors. Apparently someone that's considered a rising star. And although there are only rumors, it is said that she is the one that killed the Demon King of Mind. Your Majesty, I hope you are not considering entertaining such a person?"

"I already accepted. As a sign of good faith. I want to keep the giants on my good side. And besides, it seems they spoke highly of her. It would be more reassuring in times like this to have such a person on my side, wouldn't you agree?"

"If that is your wish, then I shall not object. But if I sense any hostility or malevolence from her, I will have her head."

"Fair enough."

"When will she arrive?"

"Most likely in a week."

"Understood. That's cutting it close to the conference but we should be able to manage."

"You can go now, Valefor. Leave me."

The Demon King continued to stare into the dark night and enjoy the cool breeze.

51