72 – When a fox negotiates
1.8k 5 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I received this letter from the giants. It seems they think quite favorably of you, miss Edelweiss. That’s why I would like to treat you as an ally. So, might I ask why have you come here at this moment in time?”

“Well, no point in beating around the bush. Have you heard of Legion?”

Both the Demon King and Valefor showed a grim expression the moment I mentioned that word.

“Do you have any connection with them?”

“If by connection you mean I have to kick their ass, yeah. I got a connection. Due to personal circumstances they have become my enemy and I have to annihilate them for good. I came here because I heard you have an impressive library and maybe I can find a way to take them down with more research.”

Silence fell in the throne room for a few moments. It almost felt like she didn't know what to say.

“Fufu. Is that really it? Miss Edelweiss, you do realize we can not give access to our precious library to just anyone. Especially in times like these when war is around the corner.”

“Yeah, speaking about that… It almost looks like you are trying to fight a battle on 2 fronts. What’s up with that?”

“Well…”

“Your Majesty, I don’t think it’s wise to finish that sentence.”

“Valefor, please trust my judgement. They don’t look like bad people at all. I’m good at judging people.”

“Very well.”

“As I was about to say, you are correct. We are somewhat fighting on 2 fronts. On one end it’s the humans which I desperately am trying to make my allies. And on the other hand… I am facing a fellow Demon King that doesn’t approve of my rule and eventually wants to assimilate me.”

What’s up with these weird Demon Kings? Why do they desire to fuse with one another? At least with this girl, I don’t get that feeling. She seems like a genuine kind hearted person. Of course, that doesn’t mean I’m going to trust her blindly. I had my fair share of weird rulers, and it’s too early to mark her as someone trustworthy. Though I wouldn’t mind marking her in other ways.

“But… perhaps there is a way we can help each other. It just happens that I heard you were the one that managed to defeat the Demon King of Mind Ygalima. Am I right?”

“That’s right. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out the rest. You want me to kill whatever Demon King is threatening you and in exchange grant me access to the library?”

“You’re quite sharp. Indeed. The battle is dangerously getting close to my borders. Normally I wouldn’t ask this of a random stranger, but given how much the giants trust you… if your strength is genuine then it shouldn’t be a problem for you. If needed I can even lend you some troops for protection.”

I started scratching my head. This is going in a direction I normally don’t approve. One thing I have been trying to avoid is taking sides in wars. What is going to happen if the word spreads that I helped a Demon King? Will others come after me? I might become a target. And for what? As much as I love books I don’t think I can make this work. Unless…

“Might I ask something?”

“You may.”

“Do you have some sort of potion or magic that can change my appearance? I mean make me look like a totally different person?”

Iris brought her hand up to her chin and started to ponder for a few minutes.

“Is it perhaps that you wish your identity to remain a secret?”

“Bingo. I don’t want people to think I am taking sides in a war. So if I act like a stealthy super secret agent, then I might agree to your terms.”

“Super secret agent?”

“Just ignore that part. So, do you have something like that or not? Because if not, my answer is going to be no.”

Iris turned her head over to Valefor. He looked back at Iris and gave a nod, then spoke.

“Something like that is not unreachable. However I must state that we can’t change your voice or make you look like a male. However we do have an elixir made from caterpillar, cerizium extract and various other ingredients that can change your appearance. The effects last for one hour, though, and it must be ingested again if you wish to continue using that form. As for what shape you are going to take, it’s completely random.”

I listened to his explanation and nodded. 

“Alright. That should work for me. But, after I carry out this deed, how can you assure me that you won’t go back on your word?”

“You’re thinking of some sort of collateral? What do you have in mind then?”

“The 4 heroes. How about sparing them?”

“Edelweiss-sama, the subject of the heroes needs to be discussed at a later time and…” (Valefor)

“Shut the fuck up already. Geez you’re so uptight. At least let me finish my sentence.”

A big vein popped on Valefor’s head and he was fuming. On the other hand Iris was giggling cheerfully.

“I’ll give this bit of advice to you guys as a sign of my ‘trust’. The heroes are idiots and have been deceived and coursed into this war by king Liserg. But they do not wish for this war as well. You say that you want peace, right? However I doubt the king will allow that.

So… all you need to do is get the heroes on your side. Use them as promotional material. I’m pretty confident they have been advertised as saviors for humanity. Ask them to spread peace talks across the masses. I’m sure that would make the king flip. Worst case scenario they won’t fight you guys anymore, but amongst themselves.”

“That is… eto… umm…”

The Demon King of Heart was kinda speechless, but I could see a spark of approval in Valefor’s eyes.

Iris signaled Valefor to come over and started whispering with one another. Although that is rather a rude thing to do, I decided to let it slide. Besides, I’m not one to talk. There were numerous moments when my girls wanted to but in the conversation so I had to discreetly give them a fluffy tail slap.

“Alright, miss Edelweiss. Your proposal is indeed appealing. I didn’t think you would have the skills of a politician in you.”

“Foxes tend to be shrewd after all.”

“Alright. I will personally assess the heroes at a later time. If they were indeed forced into this war without knowing the entire picture… I will spare their lives in exchange for their cooperation. There might be some mazoku that will be against the idea of working with humans, but the six blades can silence them.”

“So I take it we’re allies now?”

“Indeed. I look forward to working with you. I shall arange guest rooms for you and your friends. For now, feel free to rest and enjoy our hospitality.”

“We shall discuss details about the Demon King of Madness, Kartuja tomorrow.”

“Sounds good to me. Then see ya later. Oh. One more thing. You should stand more straight if you want to have the proper aura of a ruler. You really just look too cute and childish leaning that forward.”

“FuuueeeH!?”

“Your Majesty, can I please slice her now?”

Hahaha. This is rather amusing. Can’t remember the last time I had a real laugh like this. Messing with her might be worth my time.

51