Chapter 40: Samantha Shaw
29 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

LONG CHAPTER: Just a heads up, this is a long chapter. About 7600 words or so. Please enjoy. Also, a slight TW. Nick mentions the children he found in Don Gabone's building/home. If being reminded of that bothers you, please tread carefully.

Chapter 40:

Samantha Shaw

(Nick's POV)

Witches. Hags. Honestly, they were like two sides of the same coin. Rituals. Hexes. Curses. Spells. You name it, they've done it.

Learning that Samantha Shaw was one of them made quite a lot of sense to me. In the grand scheme of things, I began to understand their motives. With a Witch or Hag in charge of the city, things would quickly take a turn for the worse. They would have an entire city as their playground.

All those souls, those bodies. The amount of energy they could tap into when it's all under their control...I didn't even want to know the damage they could cause. From the position of Mayor, just a whisper could send ripples through the city. A whisper that could shatter reality.

I didn't ever really give it much credence before, but now I had a new perspective of the world. This made me think carefully and more intently on everything that Calli ever taught me. One in particular stood out in this moment.

"Fae are born with an innate nature, but they are able to grow," she explained one spring afternoon as we sat by a clear stream, our feet dangling in its waters, "Titles are one way to do this, but not just any title will do. If they are able to succeed, they can become something more."

"Does that mean they can defy their nature?" I had inquired, a little confused, "What if someone gives themselves a title or calls themselves-"

Her angelic laugh had my words fall away from my lips before I could finish saying them. She looked upon me with coy amusement. I felt embarrassed, not quite understanding, but she didn't mock me for being naive. In fact, she was incredibly kind.

"That's not quite how it works," she explained, placing a gentle hand upon my shoulder, "For example, I'm the Queen of the Fae, but...not just anyone can call themselves that. With a title comes power, and it's not always simply given."

"...Like mine?" I wondered, and she shook her head.

"No, Nick," she laughed once more, a soft chuckle, "You were not given your power, but earned it, and there's...so much more left to learn. You have incredible potential, Little Star."

Little Star. Her nickname for me that embarrassed me to no end. She saw something in me that I didn't. I felt a little hollow as I thought about that. Did she love me for me, or for who I would become? I'd have to ask her when I reunited with them, but for now...I'd like to think it was more than that.

"I am simply who I am, Queen of the Fae," she continued, leisurely kicking her feet in the stream, "I am Fae. I was born as Queen, and since then I have proven I am Queen. Earned the title. This has solidified me as something innate to reality. I am immovable, yet not without...ah!"

A splash sounded as I pushed Callista into the water.

"Nick!" she exclaimed as she gasped from the sudden plunge, "What are you...!"

I dove after her, tackling her into the water. She giggled and I laughed.

"My head hurts too much," I told her with a soft sigh, "Can't we have fun and focus on the serious stuff later?"

She gave me a playfully exasperated roll of her eyes. A coy smile twisting her lips before it turned mischievous.

"Alright," her tone held a tinge of danger, and that's when I knew I had made a mistake, "You want to play?"

I watched helplessly as she effortlessly called the water of the stream to her whims.

"H-Hey, now!" I gulped, right before the water cascaded into me.

I was pushed back, completely drenched as I landed on the grass by the shore.

"That was cheating!" I declared, holding my hand up defiantly.

"Yeah, yeah," she dismissed light-heartedly, "Sounds like an excuse to me."

I felt her lay next to me, her hand upon my chest. She snuggled close, head on my shoulder. I simply let my arm fall to my side, knowing I was defeated. The rustling of the leaves above us filtered the sunlight onto the grove we found ourselves in. It was...peaceful.

"Nick..." Callista spoke softly, toying with me by tracing a circle upon my chest with her finger, "One day, you'll understand. I know it's a lot."

Turning towards her, I took her hand in mine and smiled lovingly into her golden eyes.

"It is, but...I'll do my best," I assured her, and the mood took us both as we kissed deeply.

I didn't want to think so seriously. So naive. I was young and dumb in love. Still was, honestly, except...not so young anymore. I took a deep breath, returning to the present day. There was a time I'd never be able to reminisce like this, but now...I was able to remember fondly the times I spent with Calli without things turning dark.

What she was trying to teach me back then is that Fae, and even Mortals, can gain power through titles. However, it couldn't simply be taken. It had to be earned in some way. You could call yourself King all you want, but unless you were King, it didn't fucking matter. You'd never be King.

Something I was sure Crowley learned the hard way, and it gave me no small amount of pleasure to think of his distress. That aside, a title could be bestowed, like when I made Vanessa an Elder of the Vampires. This was an exception. I didn't exactly follow the same rules as the others...neither did Calli, now that I thought about it.

Regardless, the title, and position, of Mayor followed these rules. They couldn't just take it. They had to win it for them to truly possess it, and for a city like Horizon, that came with it a lot of power. New Dawn sought that power, and now that I knew who, or what, Samantha Shaw was...I knew exactly what they were planning.

The moment Samantha was "crowned" Mayor of Horizon, they would have access to an incredible amount of power. Enough to change the world. She was a Witch, but honestly...I felt like she had evolved into a Hag. This was quite possible, especially if she knew such a vile ritual like the one Don Gabone had used.

With someone so knowledgeable in rituals and magic at the helm of Horizon's highest position...New Dawn would have a second chance at sundering this world apart. I refused to allow that to happen. A second Cataclysm would not happen.

That's why I looked into this "Samantha Shaw" and discovered that she was plying her trade as a Witch under the guise of holistic healing, aromatherapy, and herbal medicine. As it also turns out, she was quite successful in these endeavors. Going from living in Eastend where she was born and raised, to a luxuriously beautiful mansion in Serenity. How did she do this?

Well, according to the story put out there, her family ran a tea shop in Eastend. When she was young, she claimed to have had a "Spiritual Awakening" and wanted to help better her community. This led her to suggesting her family begin selling herbal medicine, crystals, lotions, and candles in their tea shop. This turned into a huge success when people began to experience positive changes in their daily lives.

Most of this was dismissed as pseudo-science by some, but after a while, people couldn't deny that there were benefits. Soon, she expanded her industry and became well-known for her private sessions where she would personally give those who paid a consultation, wellness massage, and even a fortune reading. There were, of course, skeptics, but that didn't stop many from seeking her advice even in her teenage years.

In just a few short years, she had created an entire enterprise under what was now a well-known name: Shaw Wellness.

She had small stores around the city and even across the nation. She had also opened up a couple of stores overseas, including a spa. However, people from all over flocked to Horizon if they really wanted the true Shaw Wellness Experience, as it was called. That was because Samantha Shaw only made reservations here in Horizon at the luxury spa she had set up on the edge of the city.

That's where I found myself today. A large, several stories tall black marble building with golden accents. The name "Shaw Wellness" was written in golden filigree above the doors leading inside. Several guards stood inside the lobby, watching the few who walked into look around. There was a shop inside off from the lobby where one could buy the various products before leaving.

This is not what I was interested in. I was interested in just one thing. Samantha Shaw. Unfortunately, she was supposedly a very busy person, and now with her announcement as Mayoral Candidate, her schedule was incredibly full. Thankfully, none of that mattered to me.

There were many who were surprised when her name was announced as one of the candidates. Others were upset because they believed she would stop providing private consultations. She had many high-profile clients, but she assured them that while her duties as Mayor would be her priority, she would still see to her many clients. This made several questions as to why she was even running for Mayor.

Her response was one that amused me, as it was so perfectly innocent.

"I've grown up in this city," she stated in an interview on the radio, "I started Shaw Wellness to help the people of my community. It has grown far beyond what I had hoped."

Her voice was serene, almost...tranquil. She gave pause during this moment to let it all sink in for those listening.

"However, it can only do so much," she continued with a coy wryness to her voice, "I believe that I can help this city as a whole. With the recent tragedies, this city needs healing. I hope that, with your vote, I can do so."

I found the entire thing to be funny. She was good. Extremely good. Even with the harsh spotlight on the political party she was representing, she was able to twist the hearts of the people in her favor. They saw her as someone truly trying to better this city.

It was so funny that it made me sick. Mortal minds were all too easily susceptible to coercion and manipulation of thought. I supposed that Fae wouldn't have been able to survive this long if they weren't. Still, it was disgusting how simple and easy they were to change their entire view based on one interview. Many of her clients had spoken up in favor of her.

Despite the nausea I felt, I had to give her credit. Her story about her origins were curated lies sprinkled with specks of truth. She, and New Dawn, had been planning this for years. They really were playing the long game. While I stumbled in the dark, they were mocking me...unafraid that I'd ever get this close. That's why they were so confident in this plan.

Now, it was all crumbling down. I would tear everything out by the very foundation. Before that, however...I needed a spa day. It was a shame, since I had promised Vanessa we'd go on a date, but...this had to come first. Before Samantha gained a better grip on the populace's heart, I had to put a stop to it.

The wards on the building were impressive, but nothing that held me back. A simple whisper changed them to my own purpose, eyes flashing with an inner silver flame. It all felt so trivial now. To think, I ever struggled against them, but...if I didn't, I'd never be where I am today. I'd have never learned the lessons I had to.

It was a bitter pill to swallow but swallow it I did. Now, it was time to reap the benefits. Adjusting my clothing, I strode into the building with a purpose, as if I belonged there. The guards, mortal, barely gave a passing glance over me. I didn't let them.

I was but a face in the crowd. Nothing memorable or anything that could be perceived as a threat. Little did they know, a snake had just entered their den. With confidence, I made my way up to the receptionist. A young woman with golden brown hair and freckled skin.

Her eyes were a beautiful green and skin was kissed by the sun. She wore a navy-blue uniform dress with golden accents. She had a calm, relaxed expression as she looked up at me from behind the counter.

"Good afternoon, Sir," she greeted with a gentle voice, "How may I help you today? Do you have an appointment?"

She began clicking upon her keyboard, looking at the computer screen before her. I took a deep breath and tapped into the deep well of power within me. Taking a look around, I clocked the four cameras in the lobby and the three in the store. To their sensors, I was someone who belonged here. Who that was, well...I'd leave that up to the minds behind the lens.

"Yes, actually," I gave her a pleasant smile, watching as a light pink entered her cheeks.

I didn't quite like using a Fae's charm, but...it would make things easier.

"I'm here to see Samantha," I told her, leaning on the counter as casually as I could, glancing at her nametag, "If you could let her know I'm here, Riley, I'd appreciate it."

She gave a small smile as I said her name, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Of course, Sir," she replied, clearing her throat as she tried to focus, "Could you tell me your name?"

"Yeah, it's..." letting out a soft breath, the colors of the world became muted as everything came to a stop.

I had never stopped time before, and so this was new for me. It was a little more difficult than I had anticipated and wouldn't last long. It was strange to use it, as it was splitting myself in two. One version of me, an...echo, remained behind to fool the senses of those around me while the other, true part of myself stepped into a realm beyond even the perception of time.

It was incredibly disorienting even more me, but I quickly acclimated. I could only imagine how disorienting it would be to those around me. To them, no time at all had past, yet they would feel something once it wore off. Like a sense of vertigo.

The reason I did this was simple. Samantha had to believe she had an appointment, and so...I would make one. Walking behind the desk, I saw the database upon Riley's terminal. Urging the program to obey my whims, I separated it from perceived reality for but a brief moment. I watched as it scoured the system until it found Samantha Shaw's itinerary. There, I input a new appointment under the name...

"Norman Kyle," I stated, now back to where I had been before, "It's my first appointment, so I'm a little nervous. Is there anything I should know?"

Blinking a bit, Riley furrowed her brow as she shook her head. All around me, several people, including the guards, did the same. It didn't take long for them to regain their senses and compose themselves. A kind smile soon replaced the confused look upon Riley's face.

"Oh! Not at all," she explained, waving her hand reassuringly, "Miss Shaw is a wonderful woman. There's nothing to be nervous about at all. After today, you'll feel like you're walking on clouds."

She typed in the name I gave her, having returned the program back to how it was before I messed with it. I waited patiently as she found my name, frowning as she saw that the three appointments that had been in there already had been cancelled.

"Huh, that's strange..." she muttered, glancing up at me with wide eyes, "Ah, I'm sorry. I don't mean you. It's just...some appointments were canceled, but I wasn't told anything. Damn it...let me just call to make sure she's still taking appointments. One moment, Norman."

"No problem, and please..." I gave her another charming smile, "Norman's my father's name. Just call me Kyle."

"Okay...Mister Kyle," she added on the fluff with a playful tone.

I waited there as she called to the office of Samantha Shaw to confirm that she was still taking appointments today. She was, and she was more than pleased to hear that there was a new client. Less so that three of her appointments had been cancelled, but there was nothing to be done.

"Alright, Mister Kyle," Riley announced as she hung up the phone, "Miss Shaw says that everything looks good and that she's excited to meet you. Please, take this pass and the elevator up to the fourteenth floor. There, a concierge with meet you and take you where you need to go."

"Ah, damn," I teased, taking the keycard looking pass from her hand, "And here I thought you were going to escort me. Oh well."

She giggled, shaking her head.

"I apologize," she told me, looking a little disappointed, "Maybe another time. Today, I'm working the front desk."

"A shame, but it can't be helped," I nodded my appreciation towards her, "Thank you for the help, Riley. You know, maybe you should take an early lunch break. Don't mean to be nosy or anything, but you look a bit pale, so I was worried."

I planted a suggestion in her mind and as she tilted her head, she pulled out a small hand mirror and checked her reflection.

"Hmm, you're right," she sighed, giving me a thankful, yet nervous smile, "To be honest, I've been super stressed lately and not eating well. Thanks for worrying."

"Hey, just looking out," I told her, beginning to walk towards the elevators down the hall, "Take care of yourself, Riley."

I waved back to her without turning, knowing that I'd probably never see her again. Slowly, I began to sow the same suggestion throughout the building.

Nothing to be suspicious, but just enough that everyone would be too distracted to realize what was going on before it had happened. This time, however, I had to be delicate. Samantha Shaw would die, but not so abruptly.

Those children deserved justice, and so with a cold determination, I stepped into the elevators and rode them to the upper levels.

-----

(Nick's POV, cont.)

The room was filled with a gentle incense to lull one into a sense of calm. The lighting was dim and comfortable to ease people into a comfortable state. To be honest, I was impressed with the facility. True to her word, Samantha Shaw used this place to heal and help people relax.

There were individual and communal pools of water to relax in and swim. Several masseuses were on standby for anyone looking for their skills. Acupuncture rooms, aromatherapy, tea drinking, noise rooms, yoga, and other things you might expect from a spa. It was all very well organized and professional.

The only thing that bothered me was the underlying malevolence to the entire place. It permeated every hallway, every room of this place like an infestation. It was so subtle that I wasn't sure I'd have been able to sense it before I had awakened again. I might have felt something, but now I could actually see it. It was like a faint red mist, a miasma, which hung in the air.

It held a controlling effect that induced a state of euphoria the longer you were within it. It made those affected by it susceptible to suggestion. Once I found myself in the room I was in now, it was heavier than anywhere else. This was to be expected, since it was where Samantha personally took her clients.

It was a decent sized room, about twenty feet on one side, with an odd angle to the corner as it met the windows which looked over a nearby park. A lush recliner faced out towards the park, and on a nearby side table was a bowl with a facet going into it, lotion, and a towel. This was most likely where one might get facials, arm and leg massages, as well as any palm readings and acupuncture.

Behind a dark bamboo partition was a table with two chairs. Upon the table was a dark, lace cloth with candles and a tarot deck sitting perfectly upon it. She didn't make any attempts to hide her beliefs. There were several symbols depicting various religious groups, most of them Norse, Celtic, and Egyptian with a few Buddhist influences.

In the center of the room was a massage table, and nearby against the wall was a cubby where I was told to place my clothes, save my boxers. They gave me a comfortable dark, forest green robe to cover myself with as I waited for Samantha. Naturally, I did as I was told, for why wouldn't I?

Until the very last moment, I wanted Samantha to believe I was her client. I wanted to see the realization enter her eyes. The fear that would inevitably enter them. I wanted her to know that she was not untouchable. That the sins she has committed would not be so easily forgiven.

I might as well enjoy myself and get the entire experience, right? And so, here I was, waiting for the woman of the hour, and just when I was beginning to think she wouldn't show...the door opened and in walked a beautiful woman with blonde hair like flaxen silk and dazzling hazel eyes. It was like the very air around her shimmered at her beauty.

She wore a stunning dress of lavender with flowing sleeves. Despite its relative modesty, this was undone by the sheer fabric of the dress itself and the way it clung to every curve. It was enough to entice those who saw her while still leaving much to the imagination. This was done on purpose.

A half-smile curled my lips, amused at the glamour she attempted to use to embolden herself. An air of tranquility permeated around her, like a saint had descended from the heavens and blessed us with their presence. Of course, none of this affected me, but I played the part.

"Miss Shaw..." I greeted her in awe, "It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person. I'm Normal Kyle, but please...you can just call me Kyle."

"The pleasure is all mine, Kyle," Samantha returned the greeting with a sickeningly sweet voice, "I'm always excited to meet new prospective clients. I don't believe we've had a preliminary introduction, have we?"

As she talked, I saw the same miasma that lingered in the air escape from her lips. With every breath she took, she created more. It didn't take me long to realize what it was beyond the effects it had. The essence of a Succubus, or rather...their sweat.

She had somehow harnessed the calming and suggestive effects that a Succubus produced by their pheromones and concentrated it into the miasma I saw now. I'd be impressed if it didn't sicken me. Just how did she gain such an ability? I could only think the worst, knowing what I knew about the ritual she gave to Don Gabone.

With my thoughts turning to Jasmine, I was grateful that she had never fallen into their hands. I was reminded that she had at one point been captured by New Dawn. If not for my timely intervention, she would have surely been sold. Perhaps even to Samantha herself. The thought did nothing to lighten my mood.

"No, I'm afraid not," I replied, sounding a little disheartened, still feigning the fawning client, "I was referred by a friend. They said I was a bit too tense lately. Thought this might do me good."

Samantha smiled calmly, gliding across the floor towards me, her eyes never leaving mine.

"Well, don't worry," she assured me, hovering a hand over my shoulder, "May I?"

I smiled as charmingly as I could and nodded. Satisfied with my response, she laid her hand upon me. I felt the gentle touch and even I, for a brief moment, felt a little disarmed by her. It was such an innocent touch that I began to wonder how many had fallen for her wiles. I now understood how it was so easy for her to change people's opinions.

That would end today.

"I see..." she mused to herself, her hands running along my shoulders and feeling the ridges along my back, "You are quite tense. Don't worry, we'll get you feeling relaxed in no time. Please, if you'd do me the favor of removing your robe and laying on the table?"

"Of course," I told her, carefully removing the robe from my body.

I was quite aware to the feeling of her eyes upon me. They scoured every inch of my body as a look of what I could only call pleasant curiosity. One eyebrow rose while she held a finger to her lips in assessment, which was curved in a half-smile.

"Very good," she commented, making her around the table as I laid upon it, "We'll begin with your back. On your stomach, please."

Obeying her words, I flipped on my stomach and rested my face in the hole upon the table. I bid my time, playing along with her whims. I confirmed it in this interaction. She wasn't quite a Hag, but she had aspects of them. I could feel their blood coursing inside of her.

She had acquired their power either through evolution of her skills as a Witch, drinking their blood and consuming their flesh, or by being accepted as one of them and baptized in a ritual performed by a Coven of Hags. Chances were, however, by the power I felt inside of her...she had done all three.

This would be interesting. A Witch who was confident in her abilities with several Hags backing her...I felt like I hit the jackpot. I always did have a vendetta against these creatures. Once I took down Samantha, I would be sure to track down the Hags who had accepted her. I always did have a vendetta against them, ever since they kept trying to eat me as a child.

I ended up being too big of a prize. Calli always kept me safe, but now I was strong enough to look after myself...not that I wouldn't mind her watching my back.

-----

(Nick's POV, an hour later)

"How is that, Kyle?" Samantha inquired softly, her voice never having lost its tranquility.

Currently, she was massaged the top of my head, her fingers making circles around my temple. Truth be told, it felt exquisite. She wasn't just using her Witchcraft to supplement her lack of skill. She genuinely knew what she was doing.

"Good..." I muttered, eyes closed as I laid back in the recliner I had seen earlier, "You're just as good as I've been told..."

"Oh, you flatter me," she cooed, giggling slightly, "You're quite the charmer, aren't you, Kyle?"

"Heh, sorry," I replied with a slight chuckle of my own, "I don't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"Not at all," she assured me, her fingers suddenly getting quite sensual, "I don't mind. It's my pleasure to ensure that my clients are happy. Are you happy, Kyle?"

I felt the pheromones released from her every word seep into my senses. It was rather intoxicating, albeit nothing I couldn't handle. After all, it was nothing compared to Jasmine. I had spent days basking in her presence. Drinking her in.

In comparison, this was just a pleasant walk in the park. Not that I'd allow it to affect me. I wanted to indulge myself in Jasmine's aura. I gave in to her just as she gave in to me. Samantha did not have the same courtesy, and so I kept my wits about me, even as I felt her hands slip from my head, down my shoulders, and across my chest.

"Hmm, not quite," I muttered, pretending to sound as if I wanted more.

I even leaned back into the chair, as if I was trying to lean into her.

"Aren't you insatiable," she mused with a teasing tone, "Don't worry. My other clients all canceled. We have the entire day to take care of any pent up frustrations you may have."

"...Perfect," I said in fake bliss.

"Tell me..." Samantha said as her hands found my arms and began moving along them, "What brings you here today, Kyle? You said your friend introduced you?"

"Mhm," I nodded, letting myself relax against her touch, "I said before, but I've been a bit too stressed lately."

"Oh? If you want, why don't you tell me about it?" she was trying to coax me into speaking as I felt the suggestion attempt try to take hold, "Part of the healing process is to release yourself from the tribulations which plague you. We're never truly free until we learn to let go."

"That's easier said than done, I'm afraid," I explained to her, sighing deeply, "What plagues me goes for beyond simple worries. The entire world rests upon my shoulders."

She sensually ran her hands along my arms, digging her fingers into the muscles in a soothing motion. I was enjoying this, despite the burning desire to tear her apart. Just as she lulled her clients and those around her into a false sense of security, I would do the same to her.

"We all believe the world relies on us," she told me in that calm, gentle voice of hers, "Sometimes, it's necessary to remember that you're only one person. The world is a large place. You don't have to carry such burdens yourself."

"Unfortunately, I've been alone for quite some time," I said before a smile curled my lips, "I've not had anyone to lean on for help...until recently."

Samantha's hands stopped for but a mere fraction of a second before returning to the task at hand. I could feel a sense of prickliness enter the air as it mixed with the serenity in the air.

"That's good," there was an ever so slight crack to her otherwise tranquil tone, "It's important to have people in our lives who we can trust. May I ask who you're able to lean on?"

Another wave of suggestion came over me, but like water breaking against stones, it was ineffective.

"Yes, since my wife died, I thought I'd never find anyone who made me feel the same," I explained to her, my words taking on a genuinely loving tone, "I was lost, but she found me. I was a stubborn fool, but she didn't give up. Though, lately..."

I had to draw Samantha in. Ever since she looked me over when I took the robe off, she was getting more and more confident. Perhaps it was the power I exuded just naturally, or because I had yet to turn off the natural Fae charm I had used on Riley earlier. Either way, it would be useful.

"Please, tell me more," she insisted, her curiosity peaked, "Only if you're comfortable, of course..."

She smiled a disarming smile that, if I didn't know her true nature, might have worked on me. It was infuriating to continue to be reminded just how good she was at this. How many people had fallen victim to her? She had perfected this innocent persona to a tee.

"Well...you also offer readings, don't you?" I asked hesitantly, pretending to be a bit shy about it, "Like, palm readings or like...something like that?"

"I do, yes," she acknowledged, and for effect, took my hand in hers.

Splaying my fingers open, palm face up, she ran her thumbs along my palm in a sensual massage. She moved from my palm to each individual finger, taking her time with them.

"You have lovely hands," she stated, admiring them slightly, "They've been through a lot. I apologize if this is prying a bit too much, but...are you have trouble romantically?"

She glanced at me, a glint of desire in her eyes. I felt another wave of suggestion, this time stronger than before, assault my nostrils. I was flooded with a feeling of lust. It seemed that I was wrong before. She hadn't just harnessed the calming effects of a Succubus, but all of their abilities.

"It's a little embarrassing, but..." she blushed slightly, looking away sheepishly, "I also haven't had much luck in that department. Perhaps...we can help each other?"

It was adorable how she tried to take what she wanted. A Witch who sold herself to become a Hag-spawn, but implored the use of Succubus pheromones. Underneath her words, I sensed something genuine there as the feeling of her hands upon me grew unexpectedly tender. As if she craved the touch of another. As if this was the only way she could feel love. I almost felt sorry for her, if not for knowing what she is and what she's done.

"Did you see something bad?" I asked, pretending to be a little concerned.

She smiled warmly, once more looking at my hand, tracing the lines upon it. Samantha furrowed her brow as I felt her prod it with magic. She was truly attempting to read me, and so...I allowed her in. Only so far as I wanted her to see. Yes, Divination was quite a real thing, and some who have been blessed with the ability were rare.

To see it in action was incredible. A shame it had been given to someone like her. Even before she said anything, I knew what she would see. Pain. An incredible, deep sense of sorrow. Loss. Finally, she saw death.

"Oh...you poor man," Samantha's hand covered her mouth in horror, and I was surprised to hear genuine concern in her voice, "You've been through quite a lot. It's a little hazy, but..."

She looked towards me, eyes watery as for a brief moment, I saw the person behind the mask. I gave her a gentle smile and a slight shrug. So many people with amazing potential...wasted. That was the true travesty.

"I've never been the same since my wife died," I spoke softly, closing my hand around her hand that had lingered, "I found someone again, but...they seem distracted by someone else. I'm a little concerned. You were able to see all of that?"

Samantha held my hand in return, slowly clasping it with her other one. There was a flicker of change behind her eyes. She saw an opportunity...and she took it.

"Yes," she nodded, running a hand along my arm, up towards my chest, "I have. You have great pain in your heart. You've been quite unlucky in relationships."

"I wouldn't say that..." I pretended that it bothered me.

"Well, maybe I can help..." she mused, and I felt her push against me, "Just sit back and relax. Let me wash away all your worries..."

As she said this, I felt the strongest insistent urge batter against my senses. She wanted me to obey, and I made no move to stop her as she straddled me in the chair.

"Is this...part of the service?" I asked, feigning being nervous, "This seems a little-"

"Shh," she placed a finger to my lips, her emerald eyes staring into mine, "I assure you, everything is fine. Just relax, Mister Kyle. Leave everything to me..."

She ran her hands along my chest, which sent shivers throughout my body. She smiled satisfactorily, pleased with my response.

"Technically, this is a...personal service," she explained, shifting around in my lap as she took my head in her hands, "I've taken a liking to you. I hope you don't mind if I...indulge myself?"

As she said this, she began to lean towards me as if for a kiss. I smirked, a devilish aura behind it. My eyes flickered as I lost all pretense of being under her control.

"Well, actually..." I reached a hand up to her face, gently caressing it, "I do mind. My heart is taken, and while there's room for more...you're not invited."

She blinked, looking a little confused. Tilting her head, I felt her attempt to push into my mind. To force me to submit to her suggestions.

"W-What the hell..." she muttered, confusion and slight anger in her tone, "How are you still resisting? You shouldn't..."

Her words trailed off as her eyes went wide. A sudden understanding flooding her as I allowed her to see beyond what I had blocked her from before. She was bombarded with visions that assaulted her Divination senses.

"You...you're not Normal Kyle," she grew mortified, slightly retreating from my touch, "N-Nicholas Fraye...Osran. No, no this can't be...there's no way that-"

"Oh, but there is," I regained my hold upon her, my thumb pressing against her lips, "You see...that is the look I was waiting for. You know, you're quite beautiful when you're afraid. Fear is a really good look for you."

All pretense of tranquility dropped as a dread washed over her. Her face fell into despair as she tried to retreat, but I was faster. My hand clasped around her throat and pulled her close.

"You were right," I whispered to her, looking upon her like a starving beast, "I've been through quite a lot. Though, I'm not that unlucky when it comes to relationships...I love my family and they love me. Even those that joined later than the others..."

I could feel her attempt to escape, the swell of power as her eyes began to glow. Sigils around the room which had been hidden from sight until now began to activate. Defense mechanisms meant to protect her if she was ever in danger. Unfortunately for her, as they activated, each one turned red as a crimson lightning crackled out from them and sputtered...no effect.

"Oh, access denied," I chuckled, feeling the pulse on her neck quicken as her fear amplified, "You're not ending the session early, are you? Didn't you say we had all day?"

With a flash of my eyes, the room was covered multiple sigils of my own. Her eyes flitted between them, recognition dawning on her. I had silenced this room and cut it off from the outside world. We were all alone here, and she knew that.

"W-What...do you want?" she tried to plead, the words forced through her lips as my grip upon her throat tightened.

"Why, to help each other, of course," I responded as if that was obvious, "It was fun while it lasted, but now...it's time you really help me. I have people waiting for me, so I can't waste any time, and it will be in your best interest if you tell me what I want to know."

"And why...would I?" she sneered, "I'm dead regardless. So go ahead and...argh!"

A jolt of electricity flowed through my hand and into her. Her body convulsed as I slowly stood. I never loosened my grip, holding her with feet dangling above the ground. She grasped at my arm, trying to pry herself loose as I pulled her close so that she could see the depths of night within my eyes.

"I don't have to kill you," I told her, a gentle danger to my words, "That's the thing. No, see...what I'm going to do to you is far worse than that. Don Gabone, you know that name...don't you?"

The moment the name left my lips, her arms went slack, and I smelled the faint hint of ammonia fill the air. In her eyes, I saw that she knew what I was talking about...and she knew just how angry I was. The line she had crossed. I glanced down at the floor, upon which a puddle had formed.

"Honestly, you're a grown woman," I chided, shaking my head with a click of my tongue, "Well, I can't say I blame you. Don't worry, that's the least of your concerns. You will tell me everything you know...and then, it'll be as if you never existed, but first...let's drop the glamour, shall we?"

With a snap of my fingers, like a curtain falling away, her visage began to change. Slowly, her beautiful face faded away to reveal something that wasn't too far off from how she portrayed herself. Only, the right half of her face had become green and scaly. Her eye on that side became a sickly green with a pale, yellow sclera. Her teeth grew sharp and ragged, perfect for eating flesh off of bone.

Her left arm became much like the right side of her face, green and scaly, with sharp nails that could be used to rend flesh from bone. Her feet became webbed and much like the other parts of her body, became green and scaly.

"You've drank of Hag's blood," I stated, setting her down in the puddle she had made and loosened my grip of her neck, "Ate of their flesh. Bathed in their ritual to become one. Developed your skills to near perfection...and yet, you've only achieved half-marks. A half-blood. You had so much potential. Divination is a rare thing, and yet...you wasted it."

I sounded more disappointed than angry as I brushed the back of my hand against her face, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. To be honest, she wasn't that hideous in her true appearance. Most believed that Hags were ugly things, but that wasn't always the case.

They were creatures to be detested for sure, but perhaps that was just my bias from how many times they tried to eat me as a child. Not all were bad, but unfortunately those were the minority. Samantha was far from being good.

"I...I just wanted to be loved," she muttered, trembling under my touch, "They offered me power...the ability to take what I want. I-"

"Shh," I hushed her, just as she hushed me earlier, "I don't care. Children, Samantha. Children. That's something I can't forgive. You'll find no sympathy from me today. I've already given all I had to another. No, today...you will suffer. Now, let's see if you can sing just a prettily as they did."

I bound her in chains made from magic. I scoured her mind for answers. I made her beg me to kill her as I assaulted her with all of the pain she had dealt to others. I made her live the torment she had given to those poor children. I had held onto their resentment, fear, anger, and pain all this time.

With but a single touch to her forehead, she was wracked with visions of their torment. Her eyes streamed with tears of violet, shimmering blood. The blood of a Hag. She laid bare all of her secrets. She pleaded for me to stop.

It was only when I saw she couldn't say anything more that I released her from her bonds. She slumped to the floor, a crumpled mess. She looked at me with eyes pleading for forgiveness, but as I told her before...I had none to give. I was fresh out.

"Now comes the real test," I reached a hand towards her, feeling the power well up inside of me, "I've toyed with this idea for a while now, but you're the first I've tried it on. You should be honored. I'd say that people would remember you. Hell, even miss you...but then, I'd be lying."

The crackling of black and white electricity danced across my skin. My hand erupted into a similar flame, but flickering within the monochrome was a little bead of violet light. I placed my hand upon her forehead, and although she had long since been unable to scream, a horrifying sound escaped her throat as her body became engulfed by the Flames of Erasure.

However, it was different this time. Twisted by the electricity which confined it and forced it from a hammer into a surgeon's scalpel. I cut away the parts of her which existed in this world while the Flames of Purification preserved her essence. Her soul.

As the last ounce of her body turned to ash that faded into the ether, a shockwave rang out from the room and expanded across the world. It rippled through time and space, ran along the ley lines and into everyone's hearts and minds. Whether they be of the mortal or Fae realms, the Flames of Erasure attacked everything they knew about Samantha Shaw...and just like that, she had truly never existed.

Only I, and those I permitted, would remember her. The only thing left that remained was her soul encased with the violet Flames of Purification. Clasping my hand around it, I sent it to where Catherine's soul was. The same purgatory that would be her prison for all of eternity.

As I left the building, Samantha Shaw was not the only one to have never existed. I removed my appointment from the list, destroyed every single camera feed that had recorded me, and swept from the mind of everyone, even the kindhearted Riley, of my presence that day. Norman Kyle, and by extension Nicholas Fraye, had never visited Shaw Wellness or existed at all.

Another one down. Two to go. The rest would follow after. Like dominoes, they would fall.

------

Hey there! A bit of a long chapter, and unfortunately the only update I have at the moment. This one took a bit longer to write than I had hoped. My energy is a bit faltering due to irl stuff

Spoiler

the one-year anniversary of my father's passing is approaching

[collapse]

but I promise you, I will do my best to get more chapters, and hopefully finish this story this month, or by the latest, sometime next month.

In the meantime, I will also attempt to release chapters for Regressor's Lover, though this will be my focus. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and thank you as always for reading. ^_^ <3 You guys make it worth it for me.

0