Chapter 39: The Last Song
33 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 39:

The Last Song

Fae and the few Mortals who willingly attended this party had begun to file into the basement turned club. They made their way to their seats, some with enthralled entertainment on their arms. I sighed, watching them all with a calm, cool gaze.

I stood in the shadows of the curtains on stage. Cathrine was next to me, her leash in my hand. I gave it a tug, pulling her to me. She rubbed her throat as I leaned towards her.

"Now, you know what you have to do," I whispered in her ear, "You have the power now. Be grateful. You'll know what it feels like, for a brief moment in time, to be a Queen."

She slowly dropped her hand from her neck, adjusting herself to appear regal. I helped to perfect her dress so that not a single thread was out of place. Putting my hands on her shoulders, I gave them a firm squeeze.

"The stage is yours, Cathrine," I told her with a wickedly charming smile, "Now, show them what you're made of, my little Songbird."

Her face relaxed and she put on a pleasing smile. I released her and she walked confidently forward onto the stage just as everyone was finally seated. Her leash stretched as I stayed behind, just at the edge of the stage. I would watch her performance and the downfall of everything she had built.

"Greetings!" she began, welcoming them all here, "Thank you all for coming tonight. I do so enjoy these gatherings."

There was a low murmur of agreement through the crowd.

"Now, I don't want to bore you all with formalities," she continued with a charming smile, "We all know why you're truly here, don't we? The world is boring. Mundane. Its rules oppressive."

Another, more energetic sound of approval ran through the room. I watched each and everyone of them very closely. I couldn't help but feel contempt for them. There was a reason these rules were in place. It protected everyone...including them.

Were changes needed? Perhaps, but not under New Dawn, and definitely not using their methods or ideologies. My gaze turned back to Cathrine, and I opened my mind to her.

"Feel the power," I told her, my words resonating in her skull, "Use your pretty voice. Enthrall them."

Cathrine looked surprised for a moment, but hid it well. She straightened herself like a peacock fanning its feathers. This was her moment. Whether I was manipulating her or not didn't matter.

In this moment, she understood that every single one of them was under her control. She had a taste of power, and she grasped it. She stood taller, more regal and reigned over all of them. In another life, perhaps I would have allowed her in my court, but as it was...this was the closest she'd ever get.

"Still, we must hold ourselves with some decorum, do we not?" she weaved her voice beautifully with her newfound power as she beseeched them, "I hold these parties for you, and so you owe your allegiance to me."

There was confusion as some of them proved a bit more resistant to her words. Admirably, this didn't deter Cathrine in the least. In fact, I saw a fire ignite within her eyes. One that saw it as a challenge, and without any prodding from me, she doubled the effect.

"I said..." her voice echoed across the room, "You owe me. I've been nothing but a doll to any of you. A pretty face. That's all."

All eyes were on her now as they sensed something amiss. Yet, they couldn't move. They couldn't speak. She had completely enthralled them with her presence, and not just the guests, but her own staff as well. The power in her voice and the way she held herself demanded attention. An Awakened Siren was something to behold.

"I'm glad I have your attention," she said with a smile that could charm the surliest of beings, "You are here by my grace. Everything you have is permitted by me."

She began to explain to them, in no uncertain details, that it was because of her and New Dawn that any of them held positions of power. That just because they donate to their cause didn't make them anything special. They had to do something more. It was not them who owned New Dawn, but her who owned them.

"I am so much more than a pretty face," she spoke with a genuine hatred, "Is it so wrong for me to fall in love? Is it so wrong of me to want to improve my place in life? No..."

I could hear that she was speaking not only to them, but to me. It was then that she turned towards where I was and held out a hand. This wasn't a part of the plan, but I wanted to see where this went. Besides, it wasn't outside of expectation.

Many Fae here were those who fed on the life of others. Not just the Mortals which hung from their arms. I saw the Fae enthralled by Cathrine. These people came to feast on their own kind...and possibly perform some profane ritual to give their Mortal allies special abilities.

"Love is a powerful thing," I told her as I began to walk towards her under the guise of Julien, "I know that very well."

She smiled bittersweetly as I took her hand. I pulled her close, arm wrapped around her waist. She placed a hand upon my chest, looking up at me with distant eyes.

"This man, Julien...I had him wrapped around my finger," she marveled at my face, though was looking through it rather that at it, "Even so, I loved him, even if he was simply using my position. I didn't care."

"That's the thing..." I told her quietly, "You should have cared."

"Heh, yeah..." she looked down before glancing out at the crowd, "A bit late for that though, isn't it?"

"Extremely," I said bluntly, which only caused her to let out a dry chuckle.

We weren't talking about love anymore, but of her actions that brought about the Cataclysm. She stood tall, wrapping her arms around me, most likely in an effort to convince herself that Julien was standing here with her.

"Hear me," she spoke out to the crowds, "Attendants, you may leave. Return to your pens."

In unison, each one of the enthralled servants marched from the room, leaving the arms of those they had draped themselves on. All that remained was the benefactors of New Dawn. They sat there, faces blank as they focused upon Cathrine.

She watched them with an almost prideful glint in her eye. Only, it didn't last. Slowly, her expression grew empty, and her face went slack.

"You know...this...it isn't right, is it?" she spoke softly, shaking her head, "I thought it would feel different. I wanted power, and I have it, but..."

Her words trailed off as she came to some inner realization. Stepping away from me, she stood solemnly before the crowd.

"Who here loves me?" her question echoed, and several people raised their hands, "Heh...who loves me for who I am?"

She repeated the question, but slightly different. This time, no hands remained. She knew what that meant. It was all superficial. Oh, she could make them love her, but she now realized that's not what she wanted. It was all fake.

"This...is what you wanted me to see, isn't it?" she inquired as I took several steps towards her, "I was jealous. I wanted the adoration I deserved. A Vampire is mysterious. Charming. They are beautiful and many people love them. Sirens...well, sure, they love them, but..."

"It's superficial," I placed a hand upon her shoulder and dropped my glamour, "All of it. Vampire. Siren. Queen. Peasant. It doesn't matter. If you cannot command them without such tricks, then you deserve none of it."

She looked towards me with tears streaming down her face. Usually, it takes longer to break someone with a strong desire. To show them the folly of their actions, but Cathrine...she wasn't an idiot. Out of all those I've faced, she was the most aware of her situation. Well, perhaps besides Corvus. He was a product of misinformation and manipulation.

In this instance, past all of my hatred and even the compassion which annoyingly pushed itself to the surface of my heart, I felt pity and saw her for who she was. Another victim. This did not absolve her of any of the crimes she committed or the blood on her hands. It simply gave me perspective.

New Dawn saw a powerful young Siren who felt neglected in life and promised her a world in which she would be unequivocally adored. It wasn't like she didn't know what she had done. She simply lied to herself in order to believe it was necessary. A lie that was crumbling before her very eyes.

Faced with the reality of her choices and the truth behind what it meant to use her voice to be adored, she embraced despair. The first signs were the inky substance within her tears. The second were that those beautiful emerald eyes of hers started to become murky. Corruption.

She can sing it into existence. Attempt to control it. Right now, she was not in control. Right now, she wished to die. Right now...I would not let her.

"You're atonement is far from over," I whispered, placing a hand over her face as it crackled with a silver static, "I will not allow you to be lost. I did not give you permission."

She cried out in desperation. This echoed throughout the room, and like a flood, corruption began to seep in through the walls. That familial inky black substance with stars twinkling within. I held Cathrine close, pressing my hand firmer against her face.

"I never thought I'd be comforting someone from New Dawn..." I mused to myself, exasperated with this turn of events, "But nonetheless...you are still one of my people. I will help you find your way back. You still have penance to complete."

With this, I stood against the tide. A silver static shot throughout her body, targeting every single ounce of the corruption within her. She cried out in pain as I literally burned away every single trace of the inky substance.

At the same time, a pulse of energy cascaded out from me like a wave. It collided with the oozing substance, dispersing it in an instant. It burned in silver flames and faded into nothing. Cathrine's body went limp in my arms, though I held her steady.

It was paltry compared to what I would face later on, but knowing that I could fight the corruption like this...and remove it from someone was a good sign. I gently eased her down to the floor where I allowed her to rest against me. She looked at me with a weak smile.

"I've fucked up badly, huh?" she looked out over the crowd, her expression turning into grim determination, "You've destroyed most of our financial infrastructure. They are the only ones who remain. They provide us with resources...not just financial."

"I know," I told her, "That's why it's your mess to clean up."

"Mhm," she nodded, and taking a deep breath, she spoke out to all of them, "You owe me your lives. So...give them to me."

At her order, they all fervently began to end themselves. However, before they were able to, I held up a hand and gave an order.

"Stop," my command paralyzed them and Cathrine gave me a puzzled look.

"Why?" she wondered, looking deflated, "Isn't this what you wanted?"

"Not quite," I answered simply, "They will pay for their crimes. What I wanted to see, was if you were willing to do so, even under duress."

Sighing, she leaned against me, too weak to do anything else. Though she had awakened, it was quite recent. It would take a toll on her body until she was used to it, but she'd never get the chance.

"I want you to sing one last song, Cathrine," I urged her with a surprising gentleness, "Your voice reaches farther than you might think. You sang to the world, didn't you?"

Her eyes widened as she nodded, looking away in shame.

"I was amplified back then," she explained, "The four of us...you know there were four, right?"

"Yeah, Alan told me," I said, which didn't surprise her much, "You know what he did?"

"I do," Cathrine answered, unable to look me in the eye, "I'm sorry. We were desperate."

"You crossed a line not just once, but twice," I told her with an edge to my tone, causing her to flinch, "I cannot forgive that so easily. However, that's not what we're here to talk about."

She shifted, looking a little uncertain.

"What do you want me to do?" she asked, finally looking me in the eye, "You said you want me to destroy everything I've built."

"Yes," I nodded, helping to lift her back to her feet, though still keeping a hand on her for support, "I'll be your amplifier. You will send a message to all of New Dawn. Let your voice reach their ears...and let them know fear."

"H-How do I..." she couldn't fathom what that meant, and so I made it easy for her.

Taking her by the shoulders, I moved behind her and leaned in close. She looked at me from the corner of her eye, and I tapped into the very essence of my being. Eyes glowing deeply of power, I spoke to her softly.

"Speak," I told her, "Speak of their coming deaths. Plead them to repent. Order them to beg. I am coming for them. Each and every one. Luxan...and Crowley especially."

The moment I said Crowley's name, her body went rigid and eyes filled with terror.

"C-Crowley?" she asked, swallowing hard with a nervous chuckle, "Fuck...Alan really did tell you. That man...he's something else, but if it's you..."

She began to think, and soon her mind was set.

"He'll come for you," she told me, though not as a threat, "He was angry the last time we met. He wasn't happy you've delayed our plans."

"Good," I stated with a soft, chilling laugh, "I look forward to it. Now...tell them."

Taking a deep breath, she relaxed under my touch and used her voice. I opened the connection. Across the ley lines of the world, a signal was sent. These folds in reality allowed her message to be spread everywhere. Only those who knew of the Fae could hear it.

It was a somber song that lulled one into a sense of melancholy, but within it, she twisted the notes into a beautiful melody of my return. It was a complicated, beautiful, and overall heartfelt cry to those within the New Dawn. Its message was clear. Surrender.

Even though I was helping to amplify the reach of her voice, she was not used to using it over a great distance. Blood began to trickle down her lips as her throat tore at itself. Still, she didn't stop. Not until the last of her plea escaped her lips.

"Th-There..." she coughed, attempting to clear her throat, though grimaced in pain, "Whether they listen or not, well..."

"Most of them will," I told her, waving a hand to mold a chair from the stage and sitting her upon it, "Those who don't, well...I'll find them. Now..."

Raising another chair from the stage, I sat down and leaned forward. Placing my hand over her throat, I healed the damage she sustained so that she could talk to me. I still wanted answers. I still had to know...

"This ritual, tell me in detail everything you know," I spoke calmly, and she told me everything.

Just as I had already figured out, she had used her voice, amplified by Crowley with the help of Luxan and Alan, to sing to the world. She was the one who drew forth the corruption and tried to control it. She coaxed it with her voice, but it soon grew out of control.

It was her voice that ensnared Callisto, but she couldn't hold her for long. It was just enough to twist her. Corrupt her. This story did not please me, but I saw the newfound regret in Cathrine's eyes and heard it in the way she told the story. What they did, what the "corruption" was, was the rewriting of the very essence of a person. Fae or Mortal, it didn't matter.

They harnessed the power of what they called "The Void" to sing it into existence and unleash it upon the natural world. Alan and Cathrine were the focus, with Luxan being the power. Crowley orchestrated everything, as I figured was the case. They simply needed someone to actually harness this force.

None of them, Crowley included, was capable. Thus, they used Callista, and this inevitably touched Callisto, from whose realm they had pulled this corruption from. None of this was surprising, but it was horrifying as it confirmed the suspicions I've had for a long time now. It was also quite enlightening as I began to get a better grasp of what I had to do.

"Tell me, do you know where Luxan is now?" I inquired, and Cathrine hugged her arms to herself, as if she didn't like to think about it.

"Yeah, I do..." she shivered as she spoke, "You took the Citadel, we know this, but there is another place which holds great power. It is there that Luxan resides."

"Where?" I asked her firmly, "Tell me."

"You won't like it..." she looked up at me with a nervous smile, "We moved him there after you...uhm, well..."

A cold dread washed over me as I put two and two together. Closing my eyes, I pinched the bridge of my nose as I cursed myself. It was no wonder that the land was dying. Not only had I abdicated the throne...but my very home had been defiled.

"The Palace..." I sighed, rubbing the corner of my eye where it met my nose as I felt a headache come on, "Damn it. You fucking bastards..."

Cathrine grimaced, knowing just how fucked up it was. After all, that's why they did it. I hadn't been back to the Palace, my home, since I left the throne vacant. I had grown disillusioned to the Faelands and the people who had always looked up to me for protection and guidance.

I felt betrayed. I saw in them my failure and hated that they celebrated the death of my wife, their Queen. I knew now that they were just naive, but even so...it left a bitter taste in my mouth that I could taste even now. Composing myself, I took a deep breath and straightened my posture.

"So, Luxan is at the Palace," I said, and Cathrine nodded, "What about Crowley? Did that bastard take the throne?"

"No," Cathrine shook her head, "You should know better than anyone...the throne has a mind of its own. The Faelands won't so easily accept a new ruler."

She was right, as loathe as I was to admit it. The Faelands were fickle, but stubborn. That must vex Crowley to no end. I had to confirm something.

"Tell me, you never mentioned what Crowley looked like," I said with a little curiosity, "Have none of you actually seen him?"

"No," she shook her head again and shrugged, "He always hid himself in shadows. The only thing I recall is that he had silver eyes. He always looked to be laughing at a joke no one knew."

"A joke no one knew, huh?" I chuckled, all but confirming my suspicions, "Hides himself in shadows...what a fraud. Though, I suppose, imitation is the highest form of flattery."

Suddenly, drawing upon all of my power, the room dimmed as all the shadows seemed to reach out towards me before basking themselves in my glory. I became wreathed in endless night. The Mantle of King upon my shoulders expanded into the darkness and glittered with a myriad of stars.

Swirling to form from this abyss was the crown which sat upon my head. Its horned visage reminding any who looked upon of who he was. King of the Fae.

"Tell me, did he also mimic a crown?" I chuckled deeply, the sound reverberating across the room.

Overcome with the grandeur of the moment and pressure I exuded, Cathrine fell from her chair and groveled before me. She quivered and held her hands before her as if to beg humble forgiveness for ever trespassing upon my territory. She was in awe. Enthralled by my very essence.

"Osran..." she said in reverence, "We were fools...yes, he did mimic a crown, but nothing...nothing like this."

I chuckled, motioning for her to rise and return to her seat. She did so shakily as I released the Mantle of King and the room returned to normal.

"So, where is Crowley?" I inquired once more.

"He's...I honestly don't know," she answered with a slight pout, "He doesn't show up to meetings. He leads us, but...no one really knows where he is. My guess, he's not far from Luxan."

"Luxan seems to be the key to everything, huh?" I asked and she nodded.

"You'll see for yourself, but...yeah," she answered, still in shock from seeing the Mantle of King in full effect, "I'm sorry, I don't know much more. If Crowley isn't there, he'll find you after dealing with Luxan."

"...I look forward to it," I finally stood, returning my chair back to its natural state in the stage, "One more thing. The Gabone Family. Don Gabone used a disgusting ritual...did you give him that knowledge?

She thought for a moment, confused until something clicked in her mind.

"Ah, that," she sounded almost disgusted, "I'm not a saint. I've kidnapped children, but that. Never."

"Then, who did?" I asked, waiting on bated breath, "Do you know?"

"Mhm, Samantha Shaw," she said the name and my blood ran cold, "She's a powerful Witch, though I think she might be a Hag. Our candidate for Mayor. She was trying to win favors."

"Thank you," I said, truly grateful now that I knew, it was like a weight off my shoulders, but now came the next part, "Cathrine, you know what happens now, don't you?"

She looked up at me with knowing eyes. I stood before her, partially lamenting what I had to do. I held no love for Cathrine, but I did feel like in another life, I would have loved to get to know her better. Perhaps she wouldn't have gone down this path.

My fingers crackled with the Flame of Erasure. I saw her look upon them with a calm acceptance. She leaned back in her chair and presented herself to me. She knew there was no escape, and she knew the wrongs that she committed.

"...Better late than never," I muttered to myself with a sigh, and as my hand moved towards her, the flames changed.

Their white and black flickering heat turned violet. I shifted their nature to something a little more pleasant. I would not erase her existence from reality, but I'd allow it time to reflect. She would die and be reborn anew.

"Rest, now," I whispered to her as I placed my hand upon her head, "Do not say I have no mercy. You have much to atone. Your soul will pay for your transgressions."

She smiled a beautiful smile as she became engulfed in violet flame.

"It's...warm," she muttered as her essence began to burn away, "I thought it would be more...painful."

"It will be," I warned her, and she simply laughed.

For what she's done, she would suffer, but not here. What I used was something different from the Flames of Erasure. These would scour her soul upon death, and only after it had been properly cleansed would she be able to be reborn. Just as Julien was being reformed by Gaia, I would reform this misguided soul. Perhaps they might meet again in the future and do better.

If not, I would be there to correct them...or end them. These were the Flames of Purification. They would be burned in their sins. They would know the vileness of their crimes. As her body burned to ash, a little ball of aquamarine within the flames appeared. Cathrine's Essence.

I took it in my hand and closed it within. I sent it away to a place for reflection. Safe from this world. Safe from thieves. As the last of her essence faded away, I heard an echo of her screams as her penance began, and then...silence.

She would learn, but for now, I turned my attention back to the crowds who were still entranced. However, they slowly began to awaken as I took the chair Cathrine had sat upon previously. I waited for each of them to awaken and know who sat before them.

Their panic upon realizing was adorable. Some tried to attack me. Others begged for forgiveness. A few threw themselves upon my mercy.

I took great pleasure in tearing all of them apart. Violet flames mixed with an inferno of black and white. I redeemed some while damning others. You might ask how I gauged who to erase and who to simply kill.

Well, that was simple...by the amount of life they've fed upon and the remorse they showed. Cathrine, for her part in all of this, had surprisingly not fed on the lives of many. Not since the Cataclysm. I could tell because I could see it. I could feel it.

The energy inside of her from the lives she's fed on were old. Stagnant. What energy was new had not been enough to warrant concern. Which meant, she had never once actually touched any of the children. Earlier, I had simply been enraged by the entire situation. She had only procured them for Julien and her guests to partake in.

This did not absolve her, for she was still guilty, and that's why her soul now burns in torment. However, the remorse she showed...that is why I did not erase her. The same could not be said for all of those in this room. I'd have to speak to Gaia about Julien, but that would be for another day.

For now, I made a call. The phone rang and rang until a familiar, friendly voice picked up.

"Os-...Nick," Vanessa corrected herself, "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm good," I assured her, "Sorry for not contacting you or Jasmine in a while. I've been a little busy."

"Is that Nick!?" Jasmine's voice called from the background, "Give that...no...hey!"

I heard struggling as the two of them seemingly fought over the phone until finally, Jasmine's voice was on the other end.

"H-Hey, Nick, how's it going?" she sounded to be struggling as I heard Vanessa in the background yell for her to give back her phone, "What's up?"

"...Jasmine," I chided her, "Give the phone back to Vanessa."

"But I wanna talk to you," she pouted, and I heard another scuffle and her address someone else, most likely Vanessa, "Just give me a second!"

"As cute as this is..." I chuckled, shaking my head, "I need to speak with Vanessa, or at least relay her a message."

"Oh, yeah? And what's that?" Jasmine sounded slightly jealous.

"I'm sending her an address," I told Jasmine, putting her on speaker as I text it to them, "Did you get it?"

"Yeah, what are you doing in Serenity?" she inquired, and in the background, I heard Vanessa.

"Serenity?" Vanessa questioned and the struggling I heard suddenly stopped, "Put him on speaker, damn it."

"Alright, alright!" Jasmine calmed her down, "There, you're on speaker."

"Good," I said and looked around at the room, "I need you to do something. There are...children here."

The other side of the phone went silent, then finally, Vanessa spoke up.

"What do you need?" she inquired with a gentle professionalism.

I told them to alert the authorities, both Mortal and Fae, to this location. There were not only humans here, but Fae that had been kidnapped. I planned to free them, but they'd need help to be returned to their families.

"Of course, Nick," Jasmine answered this time, "Are you coming back?"

"...No, I'm sorry," I told them with a heavy sigh, "I'm close now. Very close. I have to see this to the end. Jasmine, I-"

"Don't," she interrupted with a tender voice, "I'll be waiting. Aiden is safe with us. You do what you have to do. I love you."

"I love you, too," I replied affectionately, "Don't be too hard on Vanessa, alright?"

"No fun," Jasmine pouted, only to laugh shortly after, "Don't worry, we're becoming the best of friends."

"Yeah, something like that," Vanessa added with a light laugh of her own, and I forgot that we were on speaker for a moment.

"Ah, well, so long as you two get along," I cleared my throat, feeling a little embarrassed, "Anyways, do that for me. I'll make sure they're ready."

With confirmation, I ended the call and turned towards the back of the stage. Taking a deep breath, I prepared myself for what I would see. Far in the back of this club was a room filled with cages. It was guarded, but I was able to easily dispatch them.

Inside, there were a multitude of enthralled slaves. Mostly human, but with a few Fae. About a quarter of them were children. With a wave of my hand, I broke their enchantments and soothed their souls. They were scared. They didn't know what had happened.

To ease their confusion, I put them into a slumber that would remain until the authorities arrived. Once they did, I guided them unseen to the hidden rooms and the cages. I watched from the shadows as they took the children and other victims out of the basement and into freedom.

They scoured the premises, finding documents and damning evidence for the political party that New Dawn was a part of. It would ruin them and invalidate any claim to the upcoming election. I also made the illusion of corpses, so they didn't think everyone simply vanished. This led the detectives, and world at large once the story emerged, to believe it was some kind of cult, and that they had killed themselves in some ritual.

Once they got the last of the captives out, I cast a mass suggestion for everyone to leave the building. I then ignited the house before they could go and retrieve anything else. This would be reported as a planted explosive to erase any evidence, but what they had gathered was enough. I didn't want them to investigate further into the deaths of those illusions.

It would fool even the Fae detectives, but any close inspection would break it down unless I kept a constant focus upon them. I didn't have the luxury to do that. I had shit to do. This would have to be enough.

I stood among the wreckage of Cathrine's home, watching as the sirens disappeared in the distance. That night, many cold cases were solved. Missing people who had supposedly just disappeared had finally been found. A lot of families would be happily reunited, but the mortals who had been touched by the Fae...I'd have to keep an eye on them. They may awaken to this world in the future.

That was for later, however. With my work here done, I turned and walked into the night, vanishing without a trace. I had a target now. A true target. Samantha Shaw. Luxan. Crowley.

The end was near.

-----

Hey there! I hope you enjoyed these chapters, though they were a bit heavy. Nick's journey is coming to an end, and I feel like he has grown, though I may be biased. Anyways, I hope you look forward to more, and as always, thank you for reading and for your patience. ^_^ <3

0