Cup 1: The Wildlands
762 11 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryu awoke in a field of lilacs to the sound of a bubbling stream. He sat up quickly, patting his body frantically to make sure every piece of him was still intact. How? He looked around, taking in his surroundings. He wasn’t in the city anymore. What was he doing all the way out here in the countryside? The last thing he remembered was the cat. He sighed wistfully. I hope it’s safe now. He had saved the poor animal from drowning in the city’s polluted river, jumping in after it had been pinned under some garbage. So, it came as a shock when he heard a little meow next to him.

Ryu jumped, puzzled to see the black cat. It nuzzled against his leg as he stared at the stream. Was I carried down by the current? He bent down to scratch the small one’s ears.

“Did you follow me all the way down here, buddy? Aw, you’re sweet, aren’t you? You wanted to make sure I was okay” he cooed.

The cat graciously accepted his hand, purring softly.

Ryu clicked his tongue staring at the endless expanse of greenery. He had no idea where he was or how to get back to civilization. Oh! Just then, he realized he still had his cell phone with him. Fishing through his pockets, he pulled out a small flip phone, the only model he could afford on his salary. He stared at the black screen, downcast as water dripped from the device. Of course, it wouldn’t work. Ryu was soaked from head to toe, still wearing his Java Roast uniform. It couldn’t have been more than a few hours since he had been carried downstream if he was still this wet.

He searched for any signs of life, giving up when it became clear that they were the only two souls out here in the middle of nowhere. Ryu figured picking a direction to walk in would be a good start, choosing to travel in the direction opposing the current’s flow. The cat decided to tag along, trotting beside him. He grew anxious as the minutes ticked by, the sun traveling higher above the horizon. He had picked up a double shift at work tomorrow; he needed to get back home before sundown. Rent was due in a week’s time and Ryu was still short by a good amount. He would have to work extra hours this week to pay on time.

Staring at his new companion a depressing thought crossed his mind. Another mouth to feed. Maybe the shelter would take her? Though, Ryu was aversive to the idea. What if no one adopted her? Then what? They would euthanize her for sure. No, he couldn’t chance it. I’ll just see about a second job that I can work on weekends. It’ll be fine. He reassured himself.

As they continued along the riverside, Ryu paused, staring at the water. He bent low; it was surprisingly clearer than he remembered. He removed his cap, wiping sweat from his brow as the sun beat down on him. The heat must have been getting to him, because when he lifted his head, there seemed to be a forest on the other side of the river. The cat craned its neck to one side, observing him inquisitively. Ryu’s mouth drooled as he caught a glimpse of an odd fruit hanging from the trees. He hadn’t eaten since—well, he didn’t know how long exactly, but enough time had passed that his stomach had begun to grumble and throb with a dull pain. He picked up the cat, setting it on his shoulder before crossing the river.

As he got closer, Ryu could make out the shape of the fruit. It was round—red like an apple, yet slightly larger. He plucked one from the lowest branches, striking it against a nearby rock. Immediately, he recognized the fruit’s white flesh, packed with glistening rubies. He scooped a handful of arils out of the pomegranate and tossed them in his mouth. Ryu closed his eyes, savoring the juicy seeds as they burst over his tongue.

“Ah, now you’re stuck here, nya.”

Ryu’s head snapped around, searching for the speaker’s location. “W-who’s there?” he said shakily, holding out the pomegranate shell as if it were a weapon.

“Down here, b***h.”

Ryu jumped for the second time that day, this time in shock as vulgarities escaped the mouth of the adorable creature.

“You?”

“Yes, me. The name’s Aurora. You crossed the river and ate the fruit. Looks like you’re stuck here. But don’t worry, nya. You saved me, so I’ll stick with you in this land and lend you a hand.”

Ryu sank to the floor, defeated. He had officially lost his mind.

“Oh, no no no,” he panicked. “I’ve got to get back home. I can’t be hallucinating at a time like this,” he said clutching his head.

“You’re not hallucinating, b***h,” Aurora spoke. “I’m very real, and you’re being disrespectful, nya.”

“Where did you learn that? And can you stop calling me b***h? Cute things shouldn’t speak like this!”

“Hehe, very good. I am cute, aren’t I? I’ll forgive your transgressions then, bi—eh, tell me, what is your name?”

“Ryu,” he answered.

“Very well, Ryu. You’re probably wondering where you are right now. You’re not on Earth anymore. You drowned while trying to save me. Although since I’m immortal, you unfortunately died in vain.”

Ryu couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “You’ve got to be kidding me, right? I am crazy! Oh God, I have bills to pay. They’re going to fire me for sure this time!”

“Did you hear me, you buffoon? You’re dead. There is no job for you to go back to.”

Ryu suddenly paused in the middle of his mental breakdown. No job to go back to? Did that mean he had been transported to the afterlife? Were his days of turmoil behind him now? He looked around the forest, a dense thicket of trees with ripe fruit of all shapes and sizes. It was as if he had been transported to the Garden of Eden itself. He smiled, suddenly at ease, opting to lie in the grass. Ryu watched the clouds roll lazily above him.

“Eh, what are you doing?” Aurora asked, poking him with a paw.

“What does it look like? I’m enjoying my time in the afterlife. Are there women here?”

Aurora looked confused, shaking her head. “I think you’re mistaken, nya. This isn’t the afterlife.”

Ryu raised an eyebrow. “Then where are we?”

“We’re in Cerulia, just outside the walls of the Kingdom of Kaffa. I figured since you enjoyed making coffee so much I’d do you a favor and resurrect you in this world.”

Ryu shot up from the ground. “Resurrect?! What about the afterlife and eternal bliss? What about the babes?!”

“Well, you can find ladies anywhere, nya. I don’t understand why you’re so fixated on that single detail. The afterlife is open only for those who’ve lived a fulfilling life. Most people get stuck in a cycle of rebirth without their memories, I might add. Be grateful, I kept your memories intact. They’ll give you a big advantage here. Although I couldn’t transfer your skills over. You’ll need to learn those from scratch.”

“My skills? All I know how to do is make coffee.”

Aurora grinned. “Exactly! That’s all you’ll need to know.”

A worn-out-looking card manifested in front of Ryu. It floated elegantly into his outstretched hand. He read the description printed on one side.

[Coffee Brewer card for beginners. This card certifies that the carrier in question is a novice in coffee brewery]

A set of statistics appeared underneath the description.

[Current level: 0]

[Skills acquired: Pomegranate Infusion]

“Huh? Do I get skills from eating things?” Ryu inquired.

“Yep! Tasting all sorts of ingredients and working with different types of equipment will let you acquire skills that are added to your Knowledge Base. It isn’t advisable to try every unknown item, however, because some are poisonous, nya,” Aurora explained.

Ryu shuddered. That was important to keep in mind. Otherwise, he would have started eating everything in sight to acquire more skills. He flipped the card, reading the backside.

[Adventurer card for beginners. This card signifies that the carrier in question is a novice in foraging and subjugation of local flora and fauna in the Wildlands]

[Current level: 0]

[Skills acquired: None]

The Wildlands? “Hey, what is this exactly?” he asked, pointing to the name of the area printed on the card.

“Oh, it’s quite simple really. Kaffa’s economy thrives off of the resources found within this land. It spans for kilometers on end. The area is quite dangerous outside city walls, so only licensed adventurers are allowed to venture into the Wildlands and collect material from it.”

Ryu narrowed his eyes at the card. Perhaps this new life would prove to be more interesting than he thought.

“So coffee is a big part of this kingdom’s economy?”

“Yes! You’ll find many like-minded individuals here. And if you become skilled enough in adventuring and brewing coffee, you could become a Royal Coffee Brewer of the King’s Court! You’ll be serving the king himself, nya.”

Ryu mulled it over. The prospect sounded lucrative enough. He knew his strengths when it came to coffee, but the adventuring aspect sounded dangerous. He preferred not to venture into parts unknown without someone more knowledgeable about the land at least. Maybe he could rely on improving his brewing skills first to make some money. Then he could hire a personal bodyguard from town. There were bound to be at least a few mercenaries at a local guild if this land was like any of the fantasy MMOs he played.

It was settled. Ryu was determined to make a name for himself in this odd world. The first order of business would be to acquire room and board. He could figure out a plan of action from there.

“Aurora, which way to the Kaffa Kingdom?”

“This way!” She scampered into the forest energetically. Seconds later, Aurora returned, however, making haste in the opposite direction.

“Where are you going?” Ryu called after her, confused.

“The long way around, nya! You better start running!”

What was the issue? He turned around to figure out what had Aurora so frightened, instantly regretting his decision not to turn tail and follow after her. He stood face to face with an enormous hound, all three of its heads growling, their snouts scrunched up in a snarl.

That would be the issue.

23