Cup 31: Dungeon Prep
90 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Novel Concept

Shoutout to: A Novel Concept

When a particular universe was born, its seven primordial Concepts acquired an ego. Omniscient and omnipotent, they seek since to enrich their home. To do so, they plunder other universes, capture young civilizations and plagiarize ideas. Many monsters, gods, civilizations, and races are already competing for the eighth throne.

Eons later, it is Earth's turn to be torn away from its Sun.

Humanity begins its integration by participating in a Tutorial. Priam has the luck and the misfortune to finish the Tutorial first. Luck because his reward is a form of pseudo-immortality. Misfortune, because as the champion of his civilization, he is transported to Elysium, the most dangerous world created by the Concepts. Nine out of ten champions lose their lives there on their first day. Fortunately for Priam, he has many lives.

Ryu panted, wiping the sweat from his forehead as he killed the last slime needed to level up. He checked the Adventurer side of his skill card, smiling as his levels increased.

[Adventurer card for beginners. This card signifies that the carrier in question is a novice in foraging and subjugation of local flora and fauna in the Wildlands]

[Current level: 7]

[Skill Acquired: Water Cannon]

[Skill Acquired: Torrent]

[Level Bonus: Aqua Glide]

[Level Bonus: Healing Hand]

He had finally managed to kill an additional one-hundred slimes in the Slime Forest, collecting over thirty-five more monster parts to reach [Level 6]. From there it was a simple matter of crafting a stamina potion per Sylfie’s instructions to reach [Level 7].

Ryu handed the potion to Wisteria; he wouldn’t be needing it on account of [Swift Foot]. He was more than pleased with the skills and bonuses he had acquired from his latest endeavor. Aside from [Thief], [Level 5]'s skills hadn't been all that thrilling. [Sanitation], for example, left a lot to be desired as a bonus skill, although it was useful for cleaning up spills in the café.

Despite being wary of returning to the Wildlands due to all manner of strange happenings and occurrences within its depths, Ryu knew it was the only way to strengthen himself for the plunge into the dungeon Jörm and his crew had discovered.

“That’s as far as you’ll be able to increase in levels without exploring a dungeon,” Sylfie noted.

Ryu sighed, relieved. The less time they spent in the Wildlands, the less of a chance things could go awry. The appearance of higher-level monsters crossing borders into lower-level territory remained more or less unresolved. They had situated themselves close to the main road in case they needed to make a quick getaway.

“So, I assume we’re grabbing a pint at Hazel’s?” Wisteria suggested eagerly.

Ryu gave her the thumbs up. He fancied a drink to celebrate his growth. They returned to the café without issue, hitching a ride with a merchant, and returning to the kingdom. Sylfie tossed a few Cacao Nubs the merchant's way and they were off to Hazel's. When they entered, mugs were piled high and beer flowed on tap; the nightly festivities were well underway and the atmosphere was just as rowdy, but it was missing a certain Nordic flair...

Almost two weeks had passed since Jörm’s message and they hadn’t seen or heard anything from him since. Still, Ryu had thought it better not to worry. Jörm was a capable adventurer in his own right and his party members weren't slouches either. Rather than ruminate on the silence, Ryu decided to use the opportunity to hone his Brewing skills in the meantime, increasing his productivity during work hours.

His levels had come in all at once the moment he had brewed his ten-thousandth cup. He was close to ranking up now, nearing [Level 10].

At [Level 6] he had received the skill [Heat Resist] alongside the level-specific bonus skill [Internalize].

Finally acknowledging the Brew Battles he had won, [Level 7] had provided him with [Truth] and [Level 7 Bonus: Sample Suggestion].

In recognition of identifying infusing ingredients, he had been bestowed with [Essence] and [Mixology] as a bonus at [Level 8].

All in all, he had started to make some real progress—Sylfie as well.

She had reached [Level 4] in Coffee Brewing; her gradual improvement filled Ryu with a sense of pride. Wisteria had declined his offer to teach, not particularly interested in brewing. Still, not wanting to sit idly by, she took up a job as a waitress to help out while Ryu and Sylfie worked the coffee bar with Hazel. She and Ryu had also begun spending time after work practicing the channeling and release of Ryu’s water skills. The mage instructed him on the proper application of each of his abilities and how best to use them in an efficient manner without running out of mana or tiring too quickly.

His progress hadn't gone unnoticed by the others either, his efforts garnering genuine praise from a few townsfolk. Despite his title, Ryu felt like the people of Cacao Town were starting to warm up to him. He had started to recognize a handful of regulars and memorized their orders. They, in turn, seemed to greet him with a more pleasant attitude whenever they crossed paths.

“Ryu! Gib me the coffee berries, nya!”

In spite of all the positive changes that had taken place since returning to the café, Aurora, on the other hand, had incessantly pestered him for the last few days about the coffee berries Giuseppe had given him. She had become unbearable, stubborn like a small child throwing a tantrum until their wish was fulfilled.

“Don’t you want your gift?!” she exclaimed.

“No! I don’t want gifts by way of diarrhea and barf! You’re not getting these berries!” he had burst on a particularly busy day at work.

Even now, as they seated themselves at a table and ordered drinks, the cat encircled Ryu’s head bugging him for a coffee berry.

“Argh! Just give her one already!” Sylfie said, gnashing her teeth.

“She’s been so patient. Just one wouldn’t hurt,” Wisteria implored.

“Fine, but you’re going to be cleaning up after her,” Ryu stated through gritted teeth.

"I have no qualms with that."

Ryu threw his hands up in defeat, walking behind the coffee bar to open the fridge and take a berry from the crisper. Aurora giddily swooped in, plucking it from his hand. She wiggled her toes in delight as she chomped down on the fruit. Juice matted the fur around her mouth as she finished.

Ryu shook his head disapprovingly. “I hope you’re satisfied,” he told Aurora.

“Very! Thanks, Ryu! You’ll see; your gift will be well worth it!” Aurora replied smugly. “You’re lucky I’m persistent, nya. Maybe next time you’ll think twice before questioning an immortal.”

"Actually, the only person receiving your bowel movements, or 'gift', is our resident crazy cat lady—ow!" he exclaimed, rubbing his crown. He stared at the ground, a baseball-sized chunk of hail melting slowly. He frowned, glaring at the table the rest of his party was seated at.

Wisteria avoided Ryu's sour gaze, hiding her staff behind her back and whistling an off-key tune.

Before Ryu could get another word in, the doors to the café burst open, a familiar figure stepping through the frame with his party following close by. He towered over most adventurers, his brutish armor covered in dirt, grime, and the blood of monsters. The man grinned from ear to ear when he spotted Ryu, lunging at him.

“Sir Panty Snatcher!” his voice boomed as he clutched Ryu by the shoulders. “We have returned from our expedition into the Subglacial Dungeon! The enemies were fierce and the Dungeon Master powerful; we barely escaped by the skin of our teeth!” he guffawed.

Ryu glanced at Jörm’s crew. They looked badly beaten and battered. “S-so the mission is postponed?” he questioned, suddenly having second thoughts about venturing into the dungeon.

“Nonsense! Tonight we rest! In the dawning hours of the morrow, we dive back into the dungeon! Eat up and drink your fill, my friend, for the next day may be your last!” Jörm bellowed, slapping Ryu on the back.

Ryu gulped; his excitement evaporated. If seasoned veterans had wound up like this, what would he be able to do in such a dungeon? Though his appetite had been suppressed, Ryu stuffed his face. He would rather gorge himself than walk headfirst towards death on an empty stomach.

***

That night, Ryu lay restless on his futon. Wisteria had retired to her room and Sylfie snored peacefully in bed; both their minds seemed at ease. The weight of Aurora’s tiny body kept him somewhat calm, like she was grounding him in reality. He didn’t have to go if he truly didn’t want to; no one was forcing him. Yet, he didn’t want to admit that he was putting himself in danger, ignoring his sense of self-preservation. Ryu cleared his mind, reassuring himself. He still harbored fears, but as long as he stuck close to the group and applied the advice that Sylfie and Wisteria had given him, he was sure he’d be fine. He closed his eyes, resolute in his decision, and finally convinced enough to doze off.

Tomorrow, they would enter the Subglacial Dungeon.

8