Cup 40: Remembrance
62 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryu threw his lance down the Ursa Glacius’ gullet. He dropped to the floor, stepping back as the monster swelled to abnormal proportions.

“It’s gonna blow!” Freyja yelled.

Turning around, Ryu grabbed the others before speeding off. Their combined weight slowed him down quite a bit as he struggled to keep pace ahead of the massive explosion that bloomed behind them. A violent blue aura engulfed the area where the Ursa Glacius had been slain, expanding further outward.

“You people need to lay off on the mutton and lamb roasts!” Ryu grunted with effort.

“Hey! You shouldn’t be saying that kind of stuff with a lady present!” Freyja chided. “Besides, I need to eat to build up muscle.”

“You have enough! Any more and you’ll turn into Tyr and Jörm with muscles for brains!” Ryu shouted back.

“You know what, I think I should cut back a little bit,” Freyja quieted.

“Don’t slow down! We’re not out of its range yet!” Tyr remarked.

“I’m trying! Jörm, you got anything up your sleeve?” Ryu asked him.

“Ha! Nothing, I’m afraid, my friend!” Jörm laughed. “If we are to face Death, we will do so with a smile on our faces and greet him like an old friend!”

“Do I look like I’m smiling?! Death is no friend of mine!” Ryu exclaimed.

Sh*t! We’re toast! If I could just reach the door, we’d most likely be safe in the hallway—he could feel the heat of the explosion burning the back of his legs as it started to overtake them. Sweat dripped down Ryu’s face, causing him to grow worried. Would he really be able to save them all? If one person jumped off perhaps he’d be less encumbered—no—Ryu shook his head dissuading the idea. Either they all survived or none of them would. He could at least find comfort in the fact that Wisteria, Aurora, Sylfie, and the rest of the adventurers had retreated safely into the hallway.

He grimaced, realizing that Sylfie most likely hadn’t woken up yet. This would probably be the last time he would see her.

“Ryu! Don’t think like that! Think positively, nya!”

“Easy for you to say,” Ryu scoffed. “And stop reading my thoughts! Seriously I’m going to figure out a way to block—Aurora!” he exclaimed in realization. She was awake! “Get out of here! What are you doing?!”

“I came back to help, nya! Now give me [Grimm Reign]! Me and him have unfinished business!” She squeezed her tiny paws as if beckoning the dagger to come forward.

Ryu hadn’t a clue what she would do, but knowing how the mystical cat operated, it was better not to question her methods. She had proven herself on more than one occasion. He could count on her to get them out of a bind when the situation called for it.

“Go ahead! It’s all yours!” he shouted.

The dark dagger suddenly flew out of its sheath towards Aurora. The black cat wrapped her tail around the hilt, a smug look on her face. “Watch and learn, Ryu! This is what dark magic is all about!”

She bolted forward a streak of shadow following her as she spun around, swiping the dagger, vertically. Instantly, the blue aura from the Ursa Glacius’ explosion split in two. Aurora had cleaved the explosion in half, parting it like the Red Sea.

Ryu stopped in his tracks, setting the others down as he sank to the floor. His body was fine for the most part, on account of [Swift Foot], but he could feel the exhaustion of the few minutes he spent without it finally catching up to him. The dungeon had been quite the ordeal, but now it was finally over.

“So, this new technique—does it have something to do with you getting knocked out?” Ryu asked Aurora.

“The attack rattled my brain a little, but no, it’s the location, nya. I’ve been here before,” she answered.

“That’s good, because I was going to suggest knocking you over the head until you get your memories back if it turned out blunt force trauma was the key,” he chuckled.

“You’re a scary person sometimes, you know that Ryu? I’m telling Wisteria!”

“It was a joke! Tattletale!” he shouted after Aurora as she whizzed back to the mage. Ryu shook his head, chuckling to himself. He was glad she seemed to be doing better.

A screen popped up in front of him congratulating him for clearing the dungeon. He waved away the notification, more interested in his statistics and the mission rewards he had acquired. Scrolling through his mission log, he checked the rewards page first, a satisfied smile on his face.

[Dungeon Clear Reward: Hearth Drive [Fire Skill Buff]]

[First Dungeon Clear Bonus: Dungeon Record Keeper]

[Info: Track and record cleared and discovered dungeons using this nifty tool!]

[Boss Clear Reward: Ursa Claw]

[Final Strike Bonus: Ursa Glacius Hide [Fur Coat Model Armor]]

His eyes lit up even further when he checked his status screen.

[Current level: 11]

[Adventurer Rank Up: Explorer]

[Skill Acquired: Erosion]

[Skill Acquired: Ballad of Storms]

[Level Bonus: Greenhouse]

[Level Bonus: Cacao Pod]

A Cacao Pod! He checked its selling value, gulping. He would be rich beyond his wildest dreams if he sold the fruit. But what of the greenhouse he had been bestowed? Clearly, he could be looking at an operation of growing and selling this fruit. Considering the gold star next to its name, Ryu was confident that this was an extremely rare find. For now, he decided to keep the information to himself, making sure to ask Hazel what his best course of action would be.

He hurried over to the doorway, where the adventurers had started to shuffle in again, Sylfie included. “You’re okay!” he exclaimed jubilantly, wrapping her in a tight hug.

“Alright, alright, let’s not get sappy,” the elf chuckled, patting him on the back.

“Right, thank you. You saved my life,” Ryu said.

“Don’t mention it. We’re party members. It’s what we’re supposed to do,” she smiled. “Besides, you’ve done your fair share of saving as well.”

“New rank, well done!” Wisteria commended him.

“Ha! You should have seen him! Quite the capable adventurer you’ve got here, Sylfie,” Freyja laughed, slapping Ryu on the back forcefully.

Sylfie smiled, though she pursed her lips slightly. “Yes, he is, isn’t he?”

“Don’t worry, we’re not going to poach him or anything,” Jörm said, stepping between them. “Right?” he stressed, looking back at Freyja.

“Right,” she scoffed, disappointed.

“Thank you for help,” Tyr said, addressing Wisteria in particular. “Your healing magic was vital for us to succeed in this mission.”

Wisteria accepted the thanks proudly. “Why, of course! This was child’s play for a noble like me!”

“We need to work on her social skills a little more,” Ryu whispered to Sylfie.

“This is why she has no friends, nya,” Aurora added.

“That’s rude! Don’t say that!” Ryu scolded her.

“Oh, Ryu! You should check your title!” Wisteria mentioned, excitedly.

“I’m actually curious to see what you got this time,” Sylfie remarked.

“Well, you spent a good deal of time distracting the boss, so I’m guessing it’ll be related to that,” Freyja pointed out.

“Regardless, it will be a title fitting for a great hero!” Jörm chortled.

“Hear, hear!” Tyr joined in.

“Check it, Ryu!” they all urged him.

Ryu opened up his Adventurer Title screen apprehensively, relenting at their behest. His jaw dropped when he laid eyes on his new title.

3