30. Rock Bug Has Evolved!
823 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Red had powered up significantly thanks to the Still Unloving. She didn’t question how or why she was able to absorb its stats despite not devouring it. If everything was up to the voice in her head, then it was for the best that she kept quiet.

 

< There is no such thing as a true governance over the functions of the Blessing of the Nexus >

 

< There is only arbitration >

 

So you can read my thoughts. Go figure. I can’t even keep my own thoughts to myself, huuuh.

Red accompanied Snow through the oddly silent caverns. On Red’s back was her beloved Fairytale’s Bane, only that it had shrunk to about fifty centimeters now for reasons unknown to her.

It was like a toy rifle. The thing might as well be a club!

Clearly, the weapon could only be used in specific circumstances.

And those circumstances required her to reach what were called Heightened Emotional States.

 

 

Fairytale’s Bane (Inactive)

< Call forth causality to tear off the pages of their tales. Build yours anew >

 
AFFINITY : Amalgamation    ORIGIN : Vengeful Red-Hooded Assassin
ATT :

MAG ATT : 0

TYPE : Weapon

< EFFECT: Fairytale’s Bane will only awaken in the presence of the wrathful Vengeful Red-Hooded Assassin. A percentage of its power may be used when it is in the holder of the most wrathful >

 

< Fairytale’s Bane may not be used outside of Heightened Emotional States >

 

< All beings can Heighten their emotions through combat or otherwise >

 

< If emotions are Heightened significantly then an increased Emotional State will be reached >

 

< No further explanation can be made until you hit your first total milestone Level at Level 50 >

 

Booo. I nearly died and you’re still going to keep secrets from me? So it’s true. I’m no longer Vengeful Red. I’m me. Hatchling Red! That must mean that Heightening my emotions brings that part of me back, huh?

… I don’t know to feel about that.

Also, are you really not going to tell me anything? At all? Fine then. Don’t tell me. I got a new Agate here and her name is Snow!

“Hehehe. Snow~” Red hummed, embracing Snow’s arm like a child.

“Hm? Yes?”

Red only responded by repeating her name over and over like she was possessed. Again, Snow was only able to smile at her response as she backtracked through the cavern.

According to her, this part of the cavern was a split path that led directly outside. A part of connected with the wolves’ chamber so Snow took a large risk venturing deep to rescue Red. If it hadn’t been for the combination of the explosions, her curiosity, and the fact that one of her red apples had rolled so deeply into cavern then she never would have stepped foot into this place.

“Imagine my surprise when I saw a Rock Bug with a girl on its back. It must have pulled out from the Shallows. That’s incredible.” Snow warmly smiled at the notion of a Rock Bug of all things showing warmth to a person in need.

“Shallows? Is that what that fleshy place was?”

“I don’t about fleshy, but they say it can be anything and everything.” Snow began, placing a finger on her cheek before explaining the anomalies of the cavern.

 

* * *

 

Emvita was a southern Region of the main continent in the world of Elysia. It was by far and wide the largest Region in the world, housing innumerable numbers of civilizations, empires, monsters and anomalies alike.

One of the largest anomalies – or feature depending on who one asked – were the cave systems of Emvita. Unlike that of the Region of Brandar which sat in the north, the Dungeons were not infectious, beating Hearts that plagued the world and converted living matter into materials to fuel their growth.

Instead, ‘Dungeons’ here were what were called Ruins of Time; or the Timeless Ruins. Both terms meant the same thing, so abbreviating it to Ruins worked fine.

“Why do they call it the Ruins of Time?”

“Because they say that everything and nothing can exist there! It starts at the Shallows marked by the walls lined with Looking Glass. Not a lot of people can go past that without becoming a Shell.”

A Shell was a person who had lost all sense of self, hence, a shell lacking a consciousness or perhaps even a soul. It was the direct result of Ego Death according to Snow who seemed rather knowledgeable about these things, which Red assumed was some kind of archaic knowledge.

“It’s not archaic. I just… know a lot of people that came back differently. That’s all.” Snow’s mouth curved into a smile before she could lose herself in those thoughts. “It starts in the Shallows, to the Inner, to the Depths, and finally – Deep Time. No one’s ever been to Deep Time. Not even the deities of the Nexus.”

Splendid worlds that did not belong to Elysia could be explored within caverns such as this. Red was suddenly eager to turn around but wasn’t stupid enough to chase that dumb carrot on a stick down to her inevitable death.

Even if she was Hatchling Red, she understood the gravitas of Snow’s words even if her voice was as soft as snow.

“I’ve been hearing about the Nexus. What is that?”

“You’ll see it soon. It’s the icon of the world. A pillar that rises endlessly to a place we can only imagine. More importantly, it’s where people like us are allowed to live in.”

“So why aren’t you there?” Red’s innocent question struck something inside of Snow, who only smiled again and patted her head tenderly.

“You shouldn’t ask adults the ‘why’ so much.”

Snow hummed pleasantly as they finally reached the split in the cavern.

And there, standing in the middle of broad passage was a familiar face.

“Rockie~!” Red exclaimed, immediately rushing towards it. Suddenly, she froze midway and cleared her throat. “I-I mean, Rockie. Heh. So you did manage to make it out too. As expected of my future meal – OOOF!?”

“Bzzzzz~!”

She was spear-tackled straight to the ground. She could have sworn she felt her ribs crack as Rockie rubbed its fuzzy face against hers.

Wait, fuzzy…?

Red seized Rockie’s face between her palms and looked up to meet four black, beady eyes full of happiness. Fur poked out from what looked like cracks along its cheeks. Its upper head was still clad in rock that was harder than steel just like the rest of its body.

But the underside was also fluffy. She roughly ran her hand all over Rockie, investigating it with glee. Parts of its legs were also covered with fur that stood out proudly. Rockie looked like a moth that was half-hatched from a hardened cocoon.

“Fluffy underside. But hard upper. Are you a Rock Bug or a turtle now?” Red scratched her head, admiring how Rockie had become slightly sleeker. “I’m guessing you evolved, right?”

“Brrrrr~!” It purred happily.

“Don’t mind if I check your stats.”

 

   

Steel Bug
Rockie Grey

< A Hopeful Insect! >

   
   

< Soul Rank: Yellow | Affiliation: Red >

   
LEVEL : 20 ORIGIN : Insect

HP : 15,000

ATT : 300 MAG ATT : 0
ATT DEF : 650 MAG DEF : 50 

MP : 200

RESIST : 30 AGI : 15

 

Due to their strengthened bonds, Red was now able to see all of its stats.

“So that’s why I couldn’t hurt you at all! AND I STILL –!”

Red smacked it on the head with her bare fist, only to have her knuckles turn red.

“– Grrr – CAN’T DAMAGE YOU!?”

“Bzzzzt~!” It purred, nodding its head as if interpreting Red’s anguish as praise.

“Dammmmmmit! I’m not going to lose to some lousy Rock Bug! That’s right, you’re still a Rock Bug in my eyes! But…” Red abruptly ceased her tantrum, letting go of a long sigh before she raised hand to touch Rockie again.

But instead of a punch, she went to pat its head.

“… good job. You did good out there, Rockie. To think you wanted to sit still in front of that mirror. Look at you now. You’ve become stronger, huh. Guess you’re also here to keep me from slowing my growth down.”

Red shared a tender moment with Rockie. As much as she didn’t want to outright admit it, she actually grown quite attached to her new companion. Red physically showed her affection. She believed that it would be some time before she could verbalize it properly, but so long as Rockie understood, then that was all that mattered.

Not that I really care if it does.

“Covenants are made from shedding blood together, huh?” She hummed.

“Are you asking me?” The Healer pointed at herself, moments before Rockie moved to rub its head against her stomach. “A-Ah. Good Rock Bug? I’ve never seen one so docile. Or one like this. This is the same one that carried you on its back. That’s amazing…”

Rockie had evolved during its short absence. It was likely needed some room, or perhaps a meal. Snow may not have noticed it, but Red certainly did.

There was a rancid stench of blood emanating from Rockie.

And it was the kind of blood she hated the most.

So it went ahead and started the slaughter without me. Those wolves are going to pay for thinking I was an easy meal.

Red drew her blade and tapped Rockie’s back with a loud clang.

“Time to hunt~!”


4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.png

8