Ch. 11 For the future
177 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Do you know about Schistosomiasis Japonicum?"

With those words, Asia Argento began the conversation.

In response, Xenovia looked puzzled.

"N-No, I'm sorry. I've never heard of it."

How did things end up like this? Xenovia reflected on her memories of the past few days. The first thing that came to mind was the mockery of the fallen angels written in the Bible.

"Both Satan and God have died, you see."

God was dead. The Lord, our Father, the creator of all things. The God written in the Bible had died. If he had died in the previous Great War, he had long been gone by the time Xenovia was born.

It was a life for the sake of the Lord. A body for the church, a life to go to heaven. Believing in the absolute nature of the God written in the Bible, believing in God's mercy and love, Xenovia had wielded her sword.

But it was a mistake.

God did not exist. Prayers to God were in vain, oaths to God were futile, and wishes to God were meaningless. What was the purpose of her life? What would have brought her fulfillment?

In a fit of despair, Xenovia was picked up by the camp of the Flesh Pillars, the beings causing a commotion in the world—according to themselves, the so-called "Demon God Pillars."

The job assigned to Xenovia was to escort a group of women. To be precise, it was more like surveillance. More accurately, it was the responsibility to contact them immediately if any problems arose. When giving her this assignment, the Demon God Pillar had an incredible air of melancholy about them.

And so, Xenovia was given the task of officially guarding a group of women known as the nursing team. However, they held an unwavering conviction. Their spirit was filled with the intensity that made ordinary exorcists run away barefoot. By the way, it seemed that three of them had already collapsed from overwork. One of them was on the verge of death from exhaustion.

Among that group, Asia Argento was present. Once revered as a saint in the church, she had been expelled as a witch after curing a demon. Xenovia, who had come to know of God's absence, initially felt sympathy and empathy for her situation. She quickly retracted that, though. Unlike what she had heard, Asia was too strong. Rather than a saint, she was more like an extraordinary woman.

By the way, one of the Demon God Pillars had insulted their colleague, referring to Asia as "a weak girl who can't even kill a bug...! She has more than enough potential to become a complete lunatic. What an idiot, Flauros!" At first, it made no sense, but in the past few days, Xenovia had come to understand it all too well.

(Come to think of it, why do they...the Demon God Pillars use the names of the seventy-two pillars? They are so different from devils in appearance, so they must not be distant descendants. As code names...it feels too natural.)

As the medical procedures of the women came to a pause, Xenovia attempted to communicate with Asia. However, she wasn't particularly eloquent. That's why she ended up asking such a question based on Asia's background.

"Don't you resent the devils and the church?"

Naturally, Xenovia thought she would. Asia also seemed to be aware of the absence of God. From that standpoint, she should resent them. As part of their "treatment procedures," they also performed exorcisms. 

However, the answer to her question was the words from earlier. From the name, one could infer that it was some kind of infection, but it was truly the first time Xenovia had heard of it. Taken aback by the unexpected response, she had no choice but to be at a loss. She briefly considered talking to the "instructor," but quickly dismissed the idea.

"It's an infection that has already been eradicated."

When it came to infections, well-known ones would be malaria or dengue fever. While the incidence of these infections was low in Japan, it didn't mean there were no infections. At the same time, it didn't mean they hadn't been fighting against infections.

"It's called Cipangopaludina Malleata... also known as Oncomelania Nosophora. It causes infection by parasitizing the Schistosomiasis Japonicum through the intermediate host, a freshwater snail."

Xenovia, still not quite grasping the point, listened intently to the story.

"At that time, people succeeded in eradicating Schistosomiasis Japonicum by exterminating the Cipangopaludina Malleata."

"I see. That's amazing."

Xenovia, sincerely admiring the eradication of the disease, was asked by Asia with a serious expression.

"So, Xenovia-san, was the Cipangopaludina Malleata evil?"

"W-Well, that is..."

To put it plainly, there was nothing evil about the Cipangopaludina malleMalleataata. It was simply an intermediary. The Cipangopaludina Malleata itself posed no danger to the human body.

To give an analogy, it would be like saying the sale of canned drinks is evil because there is littering of empty cans. However, it is also a fact that if canned drinks were no longer sold, there would be no more littering.

"That's right. It's not about being bad, disliking, or resenting them."

Hating them because of their existence doesn't justify killing. It's because they hate the harm caused by their existence.

"I don't hate the creatures you call devils. Nor do I hate the institution called the Church."

The root of her actions is not based on emotions towards the treatment she received in the past.

"But I will destroy them for the sake of humans and reform them for the sake of patients."

That's why Asia Argento is no longer mistaken. Because she understands that if she makes a mistake, someone will die. There is no choice but to relentlessly pursue unwavering righteousness. 

***

For me, Hyoudou Issei, it has been a tumultuous period lately. Well, ever since I became a devil in the spring, it's been a constant whirlwind. Engaging in devil business, having the game that determined the club president's marriage canceled, undergoing special training, dealing with a strange monster wreaking havoc in the Underworld, and just when I thought my childhood friend had returned, a disturbance involving the Holy Sword and the executives of the Fallen Angels occurred.

The Governor of the Fallen Angels, Azazel, was concealing his true identity and became a client for my devil business. I thought he was a good customer because he played games and went fishing with me, giving me generous rewards, but I never expected to have a face-to-face encounter like this.

At the request of the Student Council, I cleaned the pool and, in return, was allowed to have a pool opening event with only the Occult Research Club. I had the opportunity to apply oil to the club president body. The sensation of it still lingers on my fingers. Ah, the smoothness of the club president's skin was incredible.

During the open house at Kuoh Academy, Satan graced us with his presence. Not only the Club President's older brother, Sirzechs Lucifer-sama, but also the Student Council President sister, Serafall Leviathan-sama. Honestly, the image I had of "Lady Leviathan" was completely different. I had imagined a more bewitching cool beauty, but she was more like a Satan Girl rather than a magical girl. I know it doesn't make sense, but I don't understand it either.

I also met Gasper Vladi, the club president subordinate who is said to be sealed. Turns out, he's a reclusive guy with a cross-dressing hobby. He looks like a beautiful girl at first glance, but he has a mischievous nature. Return my dreams to me. It seems that the artifact is a powerful one that the club president couldn't handle herself, but Kiba's forbidden technique awakening raised the club president evaluation, so there is a possibility of its release. We are currently working hard together.

I received a holy sword called Ascalon from Archangel Michael. It's said to be a good luck charm for the upcoming peace talks.

And now, the trilateral conference among the biblical factions is about to begin. Attending the conference from the devil side are Sirzechs-sama, Serafall-sama, the members of the Gremory Clan (excluding Gasper), and the Student Council President. From the Fallen Angels, it's Azazel and the White Dragon Emperor, Vali. And from the angels, it's Michael-san and a beautiful angel who seems to be his companion.

"Everyone present here is aware of the absence of God."

With such an opening, the meeting began.

First, the matter regarding Kokabiel was discussed. The club president also testified about what happened back then. Kokabiel, who was almost beaten to death by the Pillars of Flesh recently, is apparently imprisoned in Cocytus, the deepest level of Hell. He can never come out again. That's the fitting end for a bothersome battle-crazed guy like him.

After settling the matter with Kokabiel, the agenda finally turned to the infamous Pillars of Flesh.

"What we know about them is that they harbor animosity towards the Bible, they are strong enough to easily kill the original 72 Pillars, and they are deceiving us by using the names of the 72 Pillars. From this, there is a high possibility that there are a total of 72 of them, including the individuals my sister made contact with and those appearing in the Underworld."

Just the thought of there being 72 of those ugly monsters gives me chills.

"And those who were contacted by Sirzechs sister and the Red Dragon Emperor called themselves 'Gremory,' right? What are they trying to accomplish by deceiving us with the names of the 72 Pillars?"

"Let me make it clear, without a doubt, that the '72 Pillars' refers to Sirzechs and the others. As someone who has been fighting since ancient times, I will testify in place of God."

Both Azazel and Michael-san assert without a doubt that the Pillars of Flesh are fakes. Of course, that's to be expected. Especially Michael-san, who was seething with anger in his eyes.

"If they are truly aiming for God's vacant position with insolence, we have no choice but to be in opposition. In the name of God, we shall annihilate them."

"I agree. If what Sirzechs sister heard is true, it might not concern the Fallen Angels. But it's too dangerous. We need to deal with it before we get involved. However, we can't fight them with only the Fallen Angels."

And then, Azazel brings up the following point.

"That's why we should form peace and a united front, don't you think?" 

Everyone was surprised when Azazel made the proposal, but it was accepted. It was the purpose of the meeting from the beginning, so it was only natural.

After the agreement was reached, Azazel revealed the existence of an organization called the "Khoas Brigade." The Fallen Angels had been preparing their forces as a countermeasure against this organization for a long time. The leader is Ophis, a dragon stronger than the Twin Heavenly Dragons. He is said to be the strongest being in the world. The reason the Fallen Angels included the White Dragon Emperor in their organization was also part of their countermeasures. Azazel's view is that this "Khaos Brigade" might be related to the Pillars of Flesh.

Sirzechs-sama and Michael-san had a stern expression upon hearing about this dangerous organization. Azazel then disclosed the following information. He's quite knowledgeable, this Fallen Angel.

"There's a guy in Kyoto who calls himself 'Kingu'."

The sudden mention of Kyoto caught me off guard. Even the club president, who supposedly likes Kyoto, seemed surprised. But what caught my attention more was the name that Azazel mentioned.

"Kingu? King?"

I thought it might be a higher-ranking devil who had moved to Kyoto, but Azazel denied my speculation.

"No, not King, it's Kingu. There was a gods from ancient Mesopotamia who was destroyed a long time ago... Well, I'm not sure if we can even call that being a gods, but there was someone with that name. However, it's probably just a coincidence that their names are the same, and they have no relation whatsoever."

Mesopotamia, huh? I remember it's one of the four great civilizations. I learned that in school. I don't know much beyond that. I think there was something about Sumer, which is said to be the oldest city in human history.

Ignoring my retrieval of knowledge, Azazel continued with his talk about this Kingu or Penggu.

"Appearance-wise, he looks like a human, but his exact species is unknown. Long green hair, and it's impossible to tell if it's a man or a woman. Abnormally strong. He serves as a guest of the leader of the Kyoto foxes, but his treatment goes beyond that. It seems he intends to become the leader's son-in-law in the future. That's the information I obtained through indirect means from Kyoto."

It's vague information. I couldn't understand the significance of Azazel disclosing this information.

"The problem is where this guy appeared from. There was absolutely no information about him until recently. Suddenly, he became the talk of the town, but there's no trace of him before that. Do you think he's related to the Khaos Brigade' or the Pillars of Flesh? We don't even know his species. The Pillars of Flesh can transform into humans, right? I suspect that he might be one of their transformed appearances."

"It's true that it's highly suspicious considering the timing... But Mesopotamian gods, huh?"

"There's no way the Governor of the Fallen Angels could make an appointment with gods from other mythologies."

If that's the case, I thought it would be best to go to Kyoto directly, but Azazel continued with an unpleasant expression.

"Kyoto is a relatively open area in Japan. As long as you have permission, you can go almost anywhere except for certain places. However, it seems that Kingu already holds a special position in Kyoto, so we can't approach him recklessly. I sent my subordinates to Kyoto, but they couldn't gather any information beyond what we already know."

"I see. I and Serafall also have connections in Kyoto. We even own a hotel there. But we've been busy dealing with those monsters, so we haven't received any information about that area."

"Hey, Sirzechs-chan, maybe it's time we unified the names for the Pillars of Flesh, monsters, and the fake 72 Pillars?"

It was a suggestion from Serafall-sama. Indeed, it would be inconvenient without a common name. We were even calling Kokabiel "some incomprehensible creature." Some people call them Flesh Pillars or tentacle monsters, and I myself sometimes get confused about what to call them.

"In that case, since they are claiming to be the fake 72 Pillars, how about calling them 'Lemegeton'?"

"Solomon's Key, is it? It does seem fitting. However, even if we use that as a general term, what about individual entities?"

"For now, let's call the ones who identify themselves as 'Gremory' the 'Fake Gremory.' And in the future, let's use 'Fake XX' as the naming convention ☆"

At that moment, I saw a red eyeball filled with intense killing intent outside the window.

"We are the Demon God Pillars. And we are the true 72 Pillars. You, on the other hand, are a mere imitation of a magical girl, a counterfeit of Sitri."

9