Chapter 109: A World Apart
1.4k 4 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

---

"The only home that a man should ever need is within his heart."

– Lavi Bookman, (D.Gray-man)

---

<[Garage of a certain Wayne Family Orphanage, Gotham City]>

<(Omniscient POV)>  

"Hey Jason, look at this. Presumably, the new vigilante named Batman literally broke a serial killer's spine last night so that the criminal could never kill anyone ever again. All the news agencies of Gotham are having a field day with this news. They even reported that he also blinded the guy, cut away his tongue and nose, and destroyed his eardrums as a punishment for his crimes. Wow, he is really serious about making Gotham a better place, isn't he?

You know what, he has my full support on this. This city needs someone like him. Unfortunately, they didn't release any pictures of the guy, otherwise, I would love to see the anguished face of the killer in his current condition. Maybe criminals would be a little less afraid of killing now." A small orphan boy who looked like he was about 12 or 13 years of age excitedly spoke as he showed a newspaper page to his friend who was working on what looked like a rough framework of a motorbike in its early stages.

"That's so badass man. But I doubt a superhero like Batman needs your support. Some even say that he is not even human but a fallen angel who escaped from hell to punish evil. He is the spirit of vengeance who judges the sinners of Gotham City after the Sun sets. I support what he does too... although he is still not as awesome as my idol." The kid's friend replied with a huge grin on his face.

"There you go, once again starting your endless praises to the 'Guardian angel of Gotham' I mean, I greatly admire that man too Jason, but you are just obsessed man. In fact, everyone I know in our orphanage is his admirer since he did so much for us orphans but you my friend are an absolute fanatic. Sometimes, you even sound a little... gay." The kid had to think for a few seconds before he remembered the word that he had learned a few days ago from one of the elder kids in the orphanage. 

"HEY, I am NOT gay. Also, even if I am a Wayne fanatic, so what? Bruce Wayne is one of the few rich people in Gotham who actually cares about orphans like us, and who does something to change the city. Not just the city, he is literally changing the world with all the new medicines and inventions his company keeps coming up with. He sends us to school, gives us some of the best food that we have ever eaten since he took over, and even sends gifts during Christmas and Thanksgiving.

He also gave scholarships to Big Brother Jack and his friends to attend college. They were even fortunate enough to be hired by him after graduation. Man, I really wish I could work for him one day." Jason responded with a thoughtful gaze as he looked at the newspaper in his friend's hands. 

"But Batman is a superhero while Bruce Wayne is just an ordinary businessman and philanthropist. Batman literally beats criminals every day while all that Bruce can do for the city is charity work. I don't think they can be compared on the same level." The boy with the newspaper in his hand still tried to argue to uphold his favorite hero's honor, albeit with a slightly deflated voice. 

"I do admit Batman is making the city a safer place by taking care of its criminals. Even the few stupid 'experts' who are complaining about him being cruel to criminals have no idea just how heartless those very same criminals can be to ordinary people like us when they are allowed to roam free. But Mr. Wayne is making Gotham a BETTER place, a MUCH better place, not just a safer place. So objectively speaking, yeah, Bruce Wayne is much better than a superhero in a bat costume according to me." Jason continued as he proudly took a quick peek at the poster of his idol hung on the wall of the orphanage's garage in a way that almost seemed like he was seeking his validation.

"Also, haven't you heard? Mr. Wayne has been recruiting people in his new private security company to help fight against crime not just in Gotham but all over the world. I am sure they could do the same work that Batman is currently doing and more. Big bro Jack even got hired in the new squad as one of the leaders. In his recent visit to the orphanage, he even told me that he had already completed a few secret missions.

Also, even though he refused to answer any of my further questions on the subject, rumor has it that this security squad of Mr. Wayne was the one responsible for assassinating all the members of the Red Hood gang and the Black Mask family a few weeks ago during their attack in the mall. Huh, they truly deserved that for trying to harm my idol." Jason nodded happily. 

"... *Sigh* I am just wasting my time trying to argue with you man. Fine, you win, Bruce Wayne is better than Batman. Now, I'll be in the canteen eating today's special dessert, French Apple tart while you can keep working on this shitty cycle and daydreaming about being Bruce Wayne's lapdog all you want." The kid said in an annoyed tone before he stormed off while muttering something about nobody having enough respect for superheroes. 

"Huh? Hey, where are you going? Wait, I'll come with you too after I finish completing the skeletal structure of my motorcycle... Can you at least save a slice of Apple tart for me as well?... PLEASE..." Jason shouted to try to get his now-angry friend's attention even though it had no effect.  

"I wonder, what got into his pants?... Well, whatever. Once I succeed in making my own unique motorcycle from scratch, no one can stop me from being recruited by Wayne Solutions, even if it is only as a researcher. From there, I can just lowly climb the ranks to one day work with Bruce Wayne himself and change the city together. YES, just wait for me, Mr. Wayne. I'll be joining you soon. Fingers crossed, I might even be able to join that security force one day and lead it." He yelled while raising his fist with pure determination in his voice.

***

<[Bat Cave, under Wayne Manor]> 

<(Bruce Wayne POV)>  

"Achoo, is somebody talking about me something?" I spoke out uncertainly, especially since it was almost impossible for me as a... high human to get sick or allergic to something.

"What's the matter, Bruce? Are you alright?" Clark Kent whose face was visible on the screen asked, concerned about my sudden sneeze in the midst of our conversation.

"Huh? Oh, it's nothing. Maybe some dust got inside my nose. Anyway, coming back to what we were speaking about, what happened after you found out about your umm, space cradle? Did you find out anything else about your... species or your planet?" I curiously asked my favorite pen pal. 

"Nothing, it was mostly empty. The only thing I found that might be of some value was a small key-like device that could open up the ship... However, I think there is another spaceship on this planet somewhere besides the cradle that I came here in since something inside the cradle suddenly began reacting to something after I turned it on... But I think I will have to work a lot harder if I want to find out all the secrets about my birth." Clark answered with a weak smile.

I and Clark have continued to maintain contact after I returned from Smallville. In his words, not mine, we have even become best friends in a way. Truthfully, it was more than easy to win his friendship as I was the only 'pal' of his who knew about his extra-terrestrial origins while still not changing how I normally behaved with him. Also, my being deeply involved with his family in their farm business and his father's political campaign as a sponsor and financier was another reason why we had such a good relationship with each other. 

"I see. But look at the bright side. At least, you are not some sex-crazed tentacle alien who wants to force himself on human women to make more tentacle alien babies." I joked to lighten the mood. "Although that does bring the question if you can get hard in the first place."

"Joke all you want but always remember that I am not the one who has a man making his bed for him. Hahahaha" Clark began to giggle like a kid at his own joke as I rolled my eyes at him. "Anyway, jokes aside, thanks for warning about the storm by the way. You saved a lot of lives here in Smallville. In fact, you and Pops are now heroes within the entire state of Kansas with how much you two contributed to help people out during the storm with shelters and food. My father's political career has never been higher before. There are literally people requesting him to run for president next term. Even mom has become a celebrity with how much relief and charity work she has been doing." Clark revealed with a big happy smile on his face. 

"Don't mention it, I just did my work. What's the use of having advanced satellites and machines and not using them to help people out? But still, that's cool. I guess your parents are quite the celebrity now. What about the Luthor family? Have you met them recently, especially the young asshole heir?" 

"Nah, I haven't met Lex for some time. His father, the Senior Luthor once came to Pops to make some sort of shady illegal deal but left after hurling a few desperate insults our way once my father said a firm no, I heard that their company almost went bankrupt because of how he was involved in some scams. But the situation is better now that Lex has taken control of the company. Maybe, he will turn up a new leaf." Clark hopefully stated. "Although I don't have the slightest idea about what happened with Lex's sister. I hope she is okay. She always seemed physically ill during our school days." He said with some genuine worry lacing his voice.

"Yeah, I hope she is okay too, she had much better manners than the father-son duo at the very least... Maybe I will organize a meeting with Lex soon to check up on her." I muttered to myself which Clark clearly heard from the other side of the screen due to his super hearing. "Anyway, I will have to leave now Clark. I have an appointment with a friend of mine. But, best of luck with that world tour you were talking about. I really hope you can rediscover yourself and figure out your purpose like I did mine." I wished him luck, knowing that the world was going to need the Man of Steel sooner than later.  

"Yeah bye, take care. Oh, and steer clear from that blood-thirsty Gotham vigilante. I heard that he made a criminal into a quadriplegic after beating him into a bloody pulp. You never know what a dangerous person like that might do in the name of cleaning up the streets." Clark expressed his clear dissatisfaction through his facial expressions. 

Yeah, even though Clark knew that I wasn't exactly an ordinary rich kid, he still had no idea that I had powers or that I was the Dark Knight he did not approve of. Truthfully, I could see why, given how much of a genuine goody-two-shoes he was. It was almost like it was meant for him to one day become the symbol of hope and peace for this world. But that was all he could be, the light at the peak of dawn. I however was his complete opposite. I was the darkness of the blackest night. Like him, I wanted peace too. The only difference between me and him was that I would stop at absolutely nothing to get it, no matter how many criminals I would have to bury in my garden to bring dawn the next day.  

"... Yeah... sure. Bye." I said while forcing a smile on my face before quickly ending the call. 

"Now, that was tiring," I muttered.  

"Your new plane is ready Bruce. You can leave whenever you want. The others have already reached Greece. They are waiting for you, so I advise you to leave as early as possible unless you want Selina to deny sex to you for the next week while Nyssa and Talia tease you until you nut on your own." Cortana's hologram form warned from behind me before adding "Hurry, Goshujinsama, your sex life is in danger." to tease me.

"Oh really? And what about Alfred? He is enjoying too with his new crush?" I asked while ignoring her taunt.

"It's actually more like he is your Godmother's new crush... but yeah, they are definitely enjoying, to say the least. He and Miss Thompkins might even be giving you a Godbrother in a few years if their 'young' romance blossoms even a little more," Cortana answered in an amused voice.

---

Don't forget to 'favoriteand comment if you like the chapter. 

Also, you can check out my Patreøn page to read ahead or to support your fantastic author.  

Right now, I have about 12 chapters in advance there. 

(My Patreon uses the new billing method which means if you pledge on the 15th of this month, you will have to pay again on the day you pledged, i.e., the 15th of the next month. So, whenever you subscribe, you will get a whole month.)

patreon.com/God_Doom

53