Chapter 39; Bloodless Torture
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After some time, the Medics team from the D'zereshaf household arrived. They were considered the best of the best and hired from other countries. However, unlike the mercenaries who joined the Hunter's Guild, these teams do not possess any plate ranking. 

 

Afterward, the soldiers from the D'zereshaf household came as well. They remained unfazed at the sight of captives. For they have lived much worse and live in a strict code of “peacekeeping”.

 

At the watchful eye of Doctor Almer, his instincts overcame him, and studied what was around.  To him this is not torture, this is a test on how flora from Demon-occupied territories works. If those plants can survive in the harshest conditions in the world and originated from the underworld, then, is it possible that they contain magic or effects unknown to mankind? Perhaps, these could be useful in medical field. This question keeps revolving in his mind. Suddenly, he came to realize he was left too behind.

 

However, something made Doctor Almer stop. There is a certain flower that soothes a prisoner and prevents them from suicidal. Even if he does not pursue magic in his life, he possesses a pseudo-magic unique to him—the ability to see how long it would take for someone to go insane and healed enough to live. However, this was not always perfect. 

 

“Ah. I apologize, Princess Artesia. I didn’t notice your presence… Let me open the door for you,” Doctor Almer said quickly. He should’ve seen Princess Artesia ascending the stairs but she’s small to be seen at eye-level.

 

The doors creaked and the horrors inside the room revealed. The second level of the prison consists of experimental bloodless torture methods. It efficiently uses both the flora from Demon’s territory and modified traditional torture tools that would make anyone’s skin crawl. 

 

“You’re quite the gentleman for someone who loves to dissect people alive and claim ‘Pestilence’ is the cause.” 

 

Princess Artesia revealed sensitive information. It’s no surprise that Doctor Almer felt uneasy. He’s thinking he might be next.

 

“Compared to the innovative works of the doctors in our palace, you accomplished a lot in such a short time. Perhaps, exchanging intel between your associates proved to be useful. Unless using unethical methods makes it easier to progress.” 

 

“Tha… Thank you, Princess! I’ll make myself even more worthy by proving the greatness of Anesthesia.” 

 

Doctor Almer stuttered before he rushed to the basement.

 

“Save one for me to see.” 

 

Princess Artesia hinted. She continued her hums as she looked for a certain cell.

 

Prisoner Cell 076. This cell light flicker as the captive inside keeps on flailing on his chair. The mana rod that powers the lighting here is almost depleted. As soon as the prison door slid, the captive’s muffled voices changed into yelps. 

 

“I suppose you are the one who attempted to assassinate the Four Great Heroes at once. No name, no records of settlement, no work history, and no one has seen you before… You’re truly a strange fellow.”

 

Princess Artesia judged. 

 

“It wasn’t me! I was being controlled by someone!”

 

“You look like one, I suppose. You lack the brains to actually get out and wimpy enough to be passable as expendable.”

 

After that comment, Princess Artesia got into thinking. It was as if this person just popped out of existence. This would be a different case if he was summoned by someone but he appeared to have no traces of master-servant pact.  

 

That’s strange… Big sister said this guy escaped 'The hands of the Forsaken' skill of Weibrecht. No magic in existence can see it unless you’re part of the dragons or practice Hemomancy. Based on her story, he acted before the skill was activated. Does that mean someone is still alive that practices the old magic, Necromancy? That cursed magic makes it possible to alarm the caster or its victims of the coming of death... That’s impossible! The victims of Necromancy are not capable of thinking or surpass their limits. What in the world is going on here?

 

One of the royal guards knocked on the prison cell using the tip of his scabbard. He then delivers a dessert cart inside the cell. 

 

“Shall we have a tea party? Since this is your first time here, I’ll let you decide which of these will be yours. Of course, it won’t be entertaining if you can smell it.”

 

Princess Artesia crushed some flowers and sprinkled it around the cart. It removed the smell of it temporarily. The royal guard inside remained on standby as he watched the scene.

 

“Make up already or else the food’s going to turn cold.”

 

“R… Le… Ri… Left… Left!”

 

As soon as the captive replied, Princess Artesia commanded the royal guard to push the cart towards the accused and unlock every lock in his left arm restraint. Without wasting any time, Princess Artesia opened the left ceramic cover plate. 

 

Just in time, the effects of the crushed flowers dissolved. The prisoner vomited from the smell alone and instinctively spat it at the ground and made sure no one was stained. The grass bed absorbed it and grew a few millimeters taller.

 

However, some vomit found its way into Princess Artesia’s clothes despite she distanced herself well.

 

“If I were the previous torturer, I would’ve plucked each one of your teeth. Good thing we have competent dressmakers.”

 

The stains magically go away and her clothing becomes new and feels freshly ironed. The prisoner finally glanced on the meal he chose. It doesn’t look appealing and it is filled with questionable ingredients. It does not stop there—the soup appears similar to a fecal matter that moves as if it’s lava popping its bubbles.

 

Evanslei Meal is torture created by Princess Artesia herself. It uses the excrement of the stinkiest soma and boiled it to forcibly feed the prisoners. When consumed, the dying body contains sufficient nutrients needed by the flora from Demon territory.

 

“Oh my. You haven’t eaten for days now. Or else you’ll die from hunger.”

 

Princess Artesia casually said as she pulled the cart away and opened the other dish. It has a complete tea set and a wide variety of deserts. 

 

The Evanslei meal serving size is as big as the prisoner’s hands when put together. He had no choice—he ate everything like a pig. In just a few moments, he bloated enough for the chair to fall sideways and made a loud thud. The prisoner's belly bounced before he moved as if he's in a first fetal movement.

 

The captive couldn’t speak anything. Even his cheeks are swelling from the pain. Some blisters were formed around his body. Princess Artesia went at his side and looked intently at this poor creature. 

 

She crushed the prisoner’s stomach with her foot. Again and again. Until the prisoner vomited everything.

 

Due to successive vomiting, it hardens and forms into solid brick-like shapes.

 

“Do it.”

 

Princess Artesia commanded. The royal guard had to use a crowbar to open the prisoner’s mouth. Before the royal guard could even clasp the oral speculum, the prisoner cried an endless amount of tears.

 

Princess Artesia used a shovel to pick the hardened Evanslei meal and fed the prisoner.

 

“I always believe torture should be quick but feels like an eternity. Bloodless yet painful. It’s boring if we stick to traditional ways…. Unless you prefer that way. Are you willing to talk now?”

 

That whole scene only lasted for ten minutes exactly. As evident from the time passed on Princess Artesia’s pocket watch.

 

The prisoner peed through his pants as his body reverted to normal. As well as his voice came back. 

 

“Please! No more… I have enough! I get it!... Please!”

 

Princess Artesia waited patiently to see if the prisoner was truly dedicated. The royal guard thoroughly cleaned the prisoner’s hand with clean water and cloth. As soon as the royal guard finished his job, Princess Artesia was finished with her tea and desserts as well. Some of the effects of the desserts help the consumer to reduce the foul scent around.

 

The royal guard put the used plates on the second shelf of the dessert cart.

 

“Do you still remember all the skills you enacted that night? Write them down.”

 

Princess Artesia placed a worn-out grimoire and vintage pen on the first shelf of the cart. Unbeknownst to the prisoner, these items detect if the magic listed there has been used before. 

 

“I… I will!”

 

The prisoner hesitatingly answered. Afterward, it took a while to control his hiccups. He couldn’t help his hand from shivering. 

 

It took a while but the prisoner finally managed to reach the worn-out grimoire and vintage pen from the ground. He sniffed before he listed everything.

 

After the royal guard knew the prisoner was certain about the list, he took it away from him.

 

“Is there any particular person you’ve met before you started this mission?”

 

Princess Artesia asked. The royal guard lifted and fixed the chair in its rightful position.

 

“I… I’m scared. I don’t know. I don’t know... I’m supposed to gather intel at the underground information network… G. Grefolk wasn’t there. That place should be the busiest at night... Yet it was left deserted. But. But... But there’s a person with a red cloak waiting inside. They look clueless so I thought I could scam them…”

 

“Continue.”

 

“Before I could talk to them, I ran out of that place and acted strangely… It's… It's like I was possessed! I’m… I’m aware of my actions but whenever I talk to someone… Someone… Someone is using Call magic! I don’t know the language they were speaking… Yet I understand it and… And converse into their language.”

 

Something sparked inside Princess Artesia’s mind and took a break momentarily.

 

Bancroft? He’s the primary suspect whenever there are events that involve memory manipulation. No, that’s impossible. He has the perfect alibi... He was at the royal archives researching because I asked him if he could lend me a certain book. It can’t be his sister, Eura since we talked for a good while during the search. The only ones who are capable of manipulating minds are those who practice curses which are witches but they’re dead a long time ago!

 

Princess Artesia’s thinking was interrupted when the prisoner slowly moved his hand on his stomach.

 

“Ever since that night, my abdomen felt out of the ordinary. I don’t even know why I have this scar.”

 

The prisoner slowly lifted his clothing and revealed a huge vertical scar that reached from his clavicle to his groin. It’s like someone used a rusty saw to slice it.

 

Mysteries after mysteries, this wasn’t enough for Princess Artesia to give up. She feels it’s her duty to solve this as soon as possible before it becomes trouble for her Mother.

 

Another puzzle... Big sister Marielle told me he blew up like a human bomb. But his guts and blood didn’t splatter. Is this the work of Advanced Hemomancy? Does that mean ‘that’ cult is starting to move again!? The one who’s attempting to revive Apocope’s arch-nemesis, Crucifraille Echeleus!?

 

Princess Artesia debated inside her mind. If that cult is starting to move again, it could spring the current situation of Evanslei and delve into a spiral of never-ending chaos. If one of the secret organizations rises from their slumber, another one would rise and create further conflict with other organizations. Being collateral damage to their conflicts, only meant one thing—’The end of civilization’.

 

“Am… Am I free… Am I free now?”

 

The prisoner humbly asked and thought Princess Artesia was already satisfied with his cooperation.

 

“Guards!”

 

The royal guards adjusted the seat into a more reclined position. They readied the tool of the previous torturer gone missingWho modified the traditional neck torture. 

 

There are two spikes pointing at the eyes of the victim; with rods connected at the two spikes pointed at the person’s nape. Due to their needle-like size with a small trident at its tip, its purpose is to cut the nerves of the prisoner. 

 

If the victim leans forward when sleepy, his eyes will be pierced and be forever blinded. When he lies for a comfortable position, the spikes at his nape will tear through it; Which will greatly reduce his movements.

 

“Please stay strong for me, okay? I’ll go visit your neighbors and play with them. Tee-hee~” 

 

Princess Artesia teased as she let out her tongue. Then the lights went out.

2