Chapter 1-Prologue: Two Worlds Apart
354 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1-Prologue:

Two Worlds Apart

Altha. A world of sword and magic. A land of wonder. Where dragons roam the sky and flowers that glow in the moonlight reside.

It is a place that many would marvel at. A place you'd love to go just to get away. Experience the Oases of the Venala Desert. Explore the depths of the magical Shiari Jungle. See the Crystal Sea or the Iridescent Coast. Wherever you go, you're sure to see something fantastic.

Of course, that's not quite what this story is about. While there is some adventure and magical mysticism, there is also tragedy and the loss of innocence.

You see, within Altha is a place called the Vossen Empire. A large and powerful nation that has governed the known world for generations. Through their strength, the people of Vossen have lived a peaceful, quiet life. As quiet as one can, anyways.

In a beautiful garden behind white walls of stone with a pond of crystal-clear water were two children. A young human boy and a slightly older half-elven girl.

The boy ran with a smile that dulled the sun. His hair like its rays, soft and golden. His eyes, a violet blue like wisteria flowers, shone with glee.

The girl chased him, her crimson hair like fire in the sunlight. Her eyes, an amber red like the setting sun, smiled as she laughed happily.

Looking upon them, you'd be surprised to know that the boy was in fact a boy. Even at this young age, he had an effeminate appearance. Soft features and fair skin. As he would grow older, an androgynous look would be awaiting him.

For the girl, it was quite the opposite, in fact. Her slightly more masculine features and taller height had her often mistaken as a boy, despite the simple dress she wore made of the finest materials of dark blue. This wouldn't change much in the future as she would grow to be more fit and athletic as she chose to adopt more masculine clothing.

For now, her fair skin was reflected in the water of the pond, along with her slightly pointed ears. Like fading stars dancing across her face, freckles made a pathway from one cheek to the next, crossing over her nose. They even dotted what little skin was shown of her collarbone, shoulders, and back.

These two children knew very little about the other, except their names and that they were friends. What did it matter? They were playing as kids should. The boy, in his rugged tunic and pants, ran amongst the flowers and the girl followed.

It didn't matter to them the quality of each other's clothing. Their rank, their titles. None of it mattered for them, and it hadn't for the past couple of years.

They knew each other as Vincent and Gwen. That's all that mattered to them. They had fun as children should. Of course, it meant more.

For Vincent, he had lost his mother the year he met Gwen. She was a friend who brightened his days while his father worked. It helped him to forget and simply enjoy what life he had.

For Gwen, she had been alone all her life. A trapped bird in a cage, just like her mother. It didn't suit her. She had no friends, and Vincent had come into her life at the right moment. He was an angel that set her free.

This childish innocence would last for two years before it all crashed into the cruel reality of the world. For Gwen was not just Gwen, but Gwenevere Vossen-Stone, Second Imperial Princess of the Vossen Empire, and Vincent...Vincent was just Vincent Redwood, the son of a lowly guard.

When the two first met, no one really thought much of it. To Henrick, Vincent's father, he was just happy his son wasn't bothering him at work. Once he found out who his son had been playing with, however, he had been forced to apologize, and things between them began to change.

For the aides and her father, the Emperor, most weren't concerned with what their Princess was doing. She had a knack for avoiding them and disappearing, only to turn up later. It was only if she didn't return that they would grow worried. However, one curious aide went looking one day and saw the two children playing.

This changed everything for the both of them. The Princess was immediately taken away while Vincent and his father were forced from the Palace. His father barely retained his job and began to receive the worst kind of work.

Gwen lamented not being able to see her friend, but no one listened. Not her father nor any of the aides. She was the Second Imperial Princess and could not associate with someone of lower class. This was the classist behavior of the nobles, including that of her father.

She wondered how such a person could be beloved by the people when he never associated with them. All she was ever told was that she had a "duty to the Crown" a "duty" to her position as one of the Imperial Princesses. She didn't agree.

Gwen was strong-willed, and those around her, including her father, would come to regret the actions they took that day and the days following.

Vincent wondered what he had done wrong. His father began drinking, blaming him for all their hardships. He raged about how his son wasn't even a son, as he looked more like a daughter. Words of hate and anger seeped into Vincent's heart.

How could one change how they looked? He was just a child. He couldn't help how he was, and so a rift between father and son was born, only to grow wider as Vincent showed signs of magic. An uncommon gift.

Having drunk himself into a near stupor, Henrick saw an opportunity to come out on top. When the Mages of Vossen arrived at their small hovel within the Capital City, Henrick was all too willing to sell his son to their services.

He rationalized that his son would be taken care of. Meals, clothing, and a place to stay. It would also ease the burden on himself, while providing the funds to really get his life back on track. Vincent tried calling to his father as he was taken away, only for him to turn his back.

Everything fell apart for the young Vincent. He lost his friend, his father, and had been sold into what was essentially imperial slavery. All at the age of 8.

Vincent had been so excited when he discovered he had magic. He had foolishly shown his father, thinking he might go back to loving him. He thought that maybe, just maybe, he could help make his father happy again. He never knew that it would be in this way.

He had seen his father smile while counting the coin. His heart shattered, retreating within himself. Memories of those times grew distant, and so too did his memories of the one and only friend he ever had. Gwen.

Like as it usually was, it was the complete opposite for Gwen. She could not forget the child she spent those two years with. His bright smile and quiet serenity. How he would gaze into the water longingly, running his hand through it lazily.

He had given her the best two years of her life. He was her only friend in a world full of people vying for the Imperial Family's favor. She threw herself into training, ignoring any and all comments about herself. Good or bad.

She had but only one thought. She would grow stronger. Stronger than anyone so they could never take away something important to her again. Her father never cared about for what she wanted, only what was expected.

She cut her long hair, keeping it short. She embraced her more masculine appearance, not minding those who called her "Prince" as an insult, or even as a mistake. She was handsomely beautiful, and people knew it.

She had confidence, and above all, she would protect Vincent. Ever since they were children, Vincent had been fragile. He bruised easily and was a little bit airheaded. He never knew when or where danger was.

She couldn't recall the amount of times she had prevented him from tripping over a rock by kicking it out of the way or grabbing him just before he fell. It was endearing and it had given her a sense of purpose. He'd always smile gratefully whenever she'd help him, and that had burned itself into her heart.

Of course, she'd have to meet him first. She had no idea where he was or what he was doing. That was until she had heard by happenstance that he had awakened to magic. This excited her, for there was a certain rule in the Vossen Empire afforded only to Royalty, Nobles, and those who had the money for it.

A Mage-Guard. As Mages were uncommon and rather powerful, having one by the side of Royalty and Nobility had been a long-standing tradition in the Vossen Empire. They acted as protectors, assistants, and advisors.

As she was the Second Imperial Princess, it was her right to request one. Normally, a Mage-Guard is assigned at some point in one's life regardless. You could refuse one, of course, and even dismiss them. However, if a Royal or Noble child reaches the age of 18 without ever having one assigned, they may personally request one.

She, of course, requested him.

Much to her surprise, her father agreed. It was the first time that Gwen had been so happy. She thought that maybe, just maybe, her father was beginning to listen to her. This, unfortunately, wasn't the case.

As she waited with excitement on the day of her 18th birthday, who walked through the door of her study wasn't her childhood friend, but a stranger. A woman no older than herself who introduced themselves as Miranda Everglade. Her father, no, the Emperor had personally escorted Miranda to her. He was smiling proudly as if he had done something good.

Her questions to her father were simple. Did he hate her? Did he take her for a fool? If he couldn't acquire Vincent, then he only needed to tell her. Instead, he lied.

She cursed him. Vowing to never trust him again. When he ordered her as Emperor to take Miranda as her Mage-Guard, Gwen no longer became his daughter, but another subject for him to command. From then on, the Emperor would never hear her utter his name, nor hear her call him father. He was simply the Emperor, and she the Imperial Princess.

Miranda, for her part, wasn't at fault. She had done nothing wrong. She had only followed the orders she received and so Gwen could not fault her. This did not stop her from being bitter as she threw herself harder into training and being as much of a hassle as she could.

She became opposed to the Emperor in everything. From wars to national policy. She was daring him to order her. All he had to do was say the word and she'd have no choice but to retreat from politics and the social scene. One day, he did just that.

She had severely interfered in a tax policy that would have crippled some of the poorer areas of the Empire. In memory of Vincent, she had vehemently fought against these changes. It was insane that the Emperor thought it was a good idea. The nobles speaking sweet nothings in his ear to do so. It was all to fill their own pockets.

Yet, somehow, the people still praised the Emperor. It didn't take long for her to understand why. They were terrified. The nobles' powers were stronger in recent years. They were afraid of saying anything wrong, as they were being forced into labor camps if they stepped out of line.

The Emperor had allowed himself to become a puppet. To Gwen, he was pathetic in many ways. The moment he gave the imperial order for her to stand down, she did just that and allowed the noose around his neck, placed there by the nobles and his own ineptitude, to tighten even more.

The nobles celebrated this victory, but it would be short lived. The Emperor finally showed some backbone, but it was too late. Gwen had lost all respect for the Emperor. The very same one who allowed her mother, the Empress, to be looked down upon by the Queen-Consorts.

They were her older siblings' mothers, and while they were the Emperor's wives, they were of lower rank than the Empress. However, he had allowed the nobles to talk him into having her withdraw from the public as her popularity was too high. She soon earned the nickname of Songbird Empress.

The meaning for this name came from being pretty to look at and with a nice voice, but unable to leave the cage she was placed in. Like mother like daughter. However, much like her mother, Gwen still had power. The Emperor and the nobles knew this. For the nobles, this frightened them.

At every turn, they continued to try and thwart her. Getting in her way and making her life as miserable as possible. However, Gwen would not break. The nobles would come to find that anything they threw at her fell apart. Their positions weakening as their resources were used up.

This is why they had, in years past, done the one thing they knew would hurt her. They had facilitated Vincent's enslavement. Most Mages weren't treated as Vincent was. They had ensured that his life wasn't going to be easy, and when she had requested for him, it was already too late. He had been taken by another.

It was by pure happenstance that Vincent had caught the eye of this person, but the nobles used this to their advantage. Utilizing their reach and power, they made sure that Vincent would not be eligible to be requested by the Second Imperial Princess. They had made sure that Vincent was assigned to Vanessa Saville. The daughter of Duke Saville.

This earned them many favors in return, for it had made the Duke's daughter happy. Almost immediately, she placed a Slave Mark upon him. A way to mark what she saw as hers. This wasn't typical, but Vanessa wasn't a typical lady. She was obsessed.

To her, Vincent was nothing but a doll. A doll for her to admire and abuse. Something to be preserved for her own pleasure and enjoyment. Her own personal toy.

Of course, she wouldn't allow him to be tainted, even by herself. Every day she wanted him more and more, but she refrained. Choosing to control him, and in order to do that, a dog must be beaten. It must know who it serves.

This led to physical, emotional, and mental abuse. Though, she'd almost never touch his face. Every time she'd slapped him for stepping out of line, she'd tell him it hurt her more than it hurt him. That she didn't want to do this. Of course, Vincent wasn't a fool.

He knew she spoke lies. She enjoyed his pain. She enjoyed seeing him grovel. She enjoyed seeing him serve her. The only thing is, he lived to serve, and so that is all he knew.

So, when the day came for a grand ball at the Royal Palace, he had attended to her as he always did. Striding in just a few paces behind her. Swathed in what clothing he was provided. Like the angel he was, Vanessa had him dressed in white and gold clothing, complete with cloak.

Gwen was among the crowd that day when Vanessa was announced for her entrance into the event. She stood with Miranda and her second in command, Cassandra. Resplendent in a tunic complimenting her hair. A deep crimson with golden accents. Made for formal events such as this.

There were many eyes on the "Prince" this day, but her eyes fell upon the man she had not seen since she was a child. Overcome with emotion, her body simply moved. It had been twelve years since she last saw him. Yet, she knew it was him.

How could she forget those eyes like wisteria?

-----

Hey there! This is the third story I've been working on, the others being Fae King's Desperation and Regressor's lover as stated in this story's description. This is me trying to write a slower romance with them actually starting out differently (as you'll see in the next few chapters). Even so, things won't take long and, like Fae King's Desperation, I don't plan on having this story be as long as my others (Cyber Heart and Love & Obsession), but we'll see how it goes!

Updates will be as I am able as I will be taking my time with all three stories. So, most likely slower updates compared to what I usually do, but should at least release a couple chapters each update. I thank you as always for reading and I hope you enjoy this as much as my other stories, maybe even more!

6