Chapter 33: The First Strike
74 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POSSIBLE TW: Just a heads up. This chapter contains flashbacks from Vincent's past. He recalls unpleasant memories of how he was treated when he was younger, and the atrocities he was forced to commit. It's not heavily detailed, but the descriptions may be triggering for some. Read with caution just in case. On a side note, this is a bit of a longer chapter. Buckle in.

Chapter 33:

The First Strike

(Gwen POV, Amberhold, Day of Arrival)

The Royal Magic Academy of the Vossen Empire. It used to be a marvel to behold, but as Gwen laid eyes upon it, all she felt was a solemn ache. A large compound made of marble. Its walls rose high around it with towering spires and buttresses connecting them. Royal Blue Banners with Golden trim fluttered in the wind from the towers. The colors of the academy.

The Academy itself was located on the land between two rivers which converged on each other. The City of Amberhold seemingly sprawling out from it into the surrounding land. One river came from the North-Northeast and meandered down until it met another river from the Northwest. As they converged, the rivers made their way to the South-Southeast. It was where these two major rivers converged, simply called the Western River and the Northern River respectively, that Amberhold had been built.

Amberhold was quite large and divided into four sectors. The City Proper, Academy Grounds, Eastgate, and finally Westgate. One had to go through the City Proper before they reached the Academy Grounds, but before you could get to the City Proper, you had to go through either Westgate or Eastgate. For this reason, they were often called colloquially the Gate Districts.

The Gate Districts were as they sounded. Districts built around their respective rivers farthest banks and provided access to the rest of Amberhold. They were mostly residential areas for commoners, but did hold some farmers markets and a few small shops for those who couldn't make it, or afford to make it, to the City Proper where the main marketplace was.

Outside of Amberhold were swathes of farmland that provided food for the city. Both dirt and paved roads led from the city through the farmlands into the surrounding woods and forests. These roads led to various places all over the Empire. It was in the woods to the East that Gwen and her army had made camp. Waiting. Watching.

One important thing to remember when preparing for an attack was to know the lay of the land. Even if you think you know the area, it is foolish to go in unprepared. Never allow yourself to be the only one blind.

Amberhold had two great walls. Three, if you counted the fact that the wall surrounding Eastgate and Westgate didn't connect to each other due to the rivers being natural defenses, and building a wall through the river would be inconvenient at best. Beyond these two districts were several bridges leading to the City Proper and the second wall Gwen had to contest with.

This one was bigger than those surrounding Eastgate and Westgate. It covered the entire riverbank of the City Proper, making it impossible to cross the river without using one of the bridges between the Gate Districts. This wall continued until it turned and protected the Northern flank of Amberhold. It was in this North-Northeast area that the Academy itself was located.

Raised upon a gentle slope, it was built at the highest point and could be seen from almost anywhere in the city and the surrounding lands. Along the slope leading up to the Academy were the homes of the wealthy. Nobles and Merchants mainly. All part of the City Proper.

Where the City Proper met the Academy walls, arguably the fourth wall of Amberhold, was where the Academy Grounds began. Pearlescent crystals floated at various intervals along its perimeter. The Academy Grounds took up a decently sized part of Amberhold as it contained housing for the students and various shops that they could utilize without having to leave the safety of the Academy. These were mainly cafes for students to relax in.

Beyond the Academy and past the walls was a great forest called the Academy Forest. It was under Academy control and was often used as a place for training the students. According to the layout that Gwen had received, the wall behind the Academy two towers overlooking the forest with a gate between them. From here, students could leave the Academy with their teachers whenever classes were held outside.

The Academy Forest was said to be home to several weak monsters that they would get some practical training for. After all, this was, at its core, a Military Academy. The students needed the experience, and it was mostly safe. At least, for those who were of certain bloodlines. Many accidents have happened, but none recorded among Nobility.

Gwen could only sigh to herself, having heard more stories from Vincent and even Miranda as they marched towards Amberhold. This place was meant to be a beacon of hope. Somewhere that those with magical ability could learn in safety and peace. Yet, even here the corruption of the Noble Faction has spread. She wished to burn it all down, but...she wasn't a monster.

There were many innocent people within Amberhold that she didn't want caught in the crossfire. If possible, she wanted to limit the casualties, but the price of war was never pretty. You could not always have things work out perfectly. The best she could do was send a warning.

"Reia, report," Gwen called softly, never taking her eyes from Amberhold, "Was the message sent?"

From the nearby shade of the trees came a woman garbed in dark cloth. Reia, one of Gwen's Shadows that she placed her trust in. Their gaze was sturdy, strong.

"It has, Your Highness," she answered, kneeling before her with hand over heart, "How long shall we give them?"

Gwen watched the city as its streets grew empty. This was a risk, as word would soon reach the ears of the Noble Faction if they hadn't already, but she wasn't about to assault a city with thousands of innocents between her and her target. She still had the element of surprise. Her army surrounded the city.

The advance force had already arrived and were set up in the West. Having come from the south so as to not be seen by any Amberhold Sentries or the sensors of the Academy. Though, if the reports were to be believed the sensors were all but gone. It seemed that they had grown complacent in their security. Gwen wasn't going to take chances, but if true, it was a huge advantage for her.

As they spoke, a large force of Fengard Tribesmen were riding and positioning themselves to the North. Any monsters in the forest would do well to avoid them. They were no strangers to monsters, and the ones they rode were far more dangerous than anything in those woods.

They all had orders to set up security checkpoints along the roads in all directions. It was the best Gwen could do to prevent the spread of information too quickly and still allow those that fled to leave in safety. Of course, the commoners were more than willing to comply. The moment they heard her name upon the lips of the messengers, they rallied and began organizing an evacuation. Some even came to enlist.

If she was making her move, then the people would rise up. Her reputation may be sour among the nobles, but among the commonfolk, she was a legend. The one they wanted to follow.

"Tell the commanders to ensure the new recruits are thoroughly vetted," Gwen instructed, her eyes surveying the evacuation, "We can't take chances. We'll give them a full day to evacuate."

"Are you sure that's enough time?" Vincent's voice stirred Gwen's heart as he walked up the path towards her, "There are thousands of them, Gwen. Greetings, Miss Reia."

Vincent bowed his head towards Reia who looked at the ground sheepishly as she bowed.

"Sir Vincent," she acknowledged, waiting there silently for confirmation on her orders.

Gwen admired Vincent for a moment. He looked...different than normal, and not just because of the new clothes or the custom armor he wore. Since the day she released the Slave Mark, he had grown more...open. He was willing to express his opinion and stood a little bit more confidently.

"It is all I can afford," Gwen explained as he walked up next to her, "I'd love to give them three days, but by then those that we are after may have already fled by then."

"I understand the concern," Vincent stated, though she sensed he had something more to say, "However, that won't happen. If I may, do you see those crystals along the wall of the Academy?"

"I do," Gwen said hesitantly, "If I've heard correctly, they're a defensive measure. If magic is poured into them, it'll create a barrier around the entire Academy."

"Precisely," Vincent nodded, lifting an arm to point past the Academy to the North, "When that barrier goes up, no one can enter or leave without deactivating or destroying it. Except via the gate behind the Academy. The Fengard are back there, right?"

"...Yes?" Gwen was growing curious now, it was obvious that Vincent had a plan, "What are you suggesting?"

Vincent glanced at Gwen with a mischievous glint in his eye as a smirk crossed his lips.

"The city is evacuating, but the Academy?" Vincent shrugged, looking towards the imposing structure, "That's our target. All we have to do is...force them to activate the barrier and watch their backdoor."

"If I may speak?" Reia inquired, both of them turning towards hers.

"Of course," Gwen gave her permission.

"Sir Vincent's plan isn't a bad one," Reia admitted, a hint of appreciation in her voice, "If we can isolate the Academy, and he's right that they cannot leave except via the gate to the forest...it may buy the rest of the city time to evacuate. After all, we're here for the Academy. The city is just in the way."

She wasn't wrong. While corruption ran rampant throughout Amberhold, it was the Academy that was the source. They had come for the Academy and those within. Amberhold was just an obstacle. There was only one thing they hadn't mentioned, but she was sure Vincent had a plan for that as well.

"Alright, tell me..." Gwen let out an amused chuckle, "How do you plan on forcing them to activate the barrier?"

Vincent's eyes glinted as if he had been waiting for her to ask that question. It was quite adorable as he grew slightly excited.

"That's simple...how many Mages do we have?" Vincent asked, looking towards the Academy with stoic conviction.

"...How many do you need?" Gwen countered, already seeing what he had planned.

"I'd like Lady Miranda and at least five others," Vincent told her, his hands itching with magic.

There were sparks dancing among his fingers and a frigid air that wafted up from him. Gwen admired him in that moment. He was moving forward every day. She was so proud to be by his side and see his journey to recovery. Anyone who got in the way of that would meet Gwen's blade.

"Yeah, I think we can spare them," Gwen smiled devilishly, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Just say the word."

Vincent looked at her then, his expression tender and thankful.

"Reia," Gwen called as she held Vincent's gaze, "Please inform Miranda to find five Mages and report to Vincent."

"At once, Your Highness," Reia melded back into shadows and the two of them were left alone.

"Thank you," Vincent whispered, his gaze intense.

Gwen felt like she would melt from how utterly soft they were. As if she was falling into them and honestly, she never wanted to them their embrace. Unfortunately, you don't always get what you want, but for that moment she indulged herself.

"No need," Gwen smiled genuinely, cupping his face in her hand, "Anything you need, Vincent. Anything."

A slight blush entered his face as he turned his gaze from her in shyness with a small smile of his own. "Damn..." She cursed herself for making him look away, but seeing this side of him was its own reward, so she didn't quite mind. Now, all they had to do was wait. Gwen was looking forward to seeing Vincent in action.

Though she wished to keep him from the fight, she couldn't deny that he had every right to be the one to start this war off with the first attack.

-----

(Vincent's POV)

Amberhold. Home to the Royal Magic Academy. A vast city that Vincent only ever saw slight glimpses of. He had never really been outside of the Academy walls during his stay. The only time he was taken from the walls was for...practical exercises.

~Flashback~ Thirteen years old. Woken with a bucket of cold water. His bare skin exposed to the elements and the stone floor made it feel like ice. He shivered, earning him a morning lashing. They said it was to help him learn how to regulate his mana to keep his body warm. He knew this to be a lie, but he dare not say it for fear of another lashing.

Taken in chains, his Slave Mark glowed strongly, compelled to obey. Blindfolded and shuffled through hallway after hallway until finally...he felt grass upon his feet.

"Get in," a gruff voice ordered before he felt a rough hand push him forward.

He stumbled, unsure what he was supposed to 'get in', but the moment he opened his mouth to ask, his head run with pain as he was hit with a backhand. The iron taste of blood filled his mouth.

"No backtalk," another voice growled, "Damn kid...should be grateful."

Grateful? For what? You're hurting him. Why should he be grateful?

There was no time to question anymore as the shackles on his wrist tightened. They were lifting him by the chains before tossing him into what felt like a wooden room. However, he knew what this was. A wagon. Specifically, a wooden box on wheels. It was a familiar feeling as they strung him up to the roof by the chains.

He was forced to stand on his toes or hang by his arms. He could hear laughter. Was this funny to them? Where were they taking him this time? He hoped it wasn't far...

How long had it been since he last slept? He kept drifting in and out of consciousness. Yet, every time his head dipped just a little, his feet would slip, and his arms would almost be pulled from their sockets as the full weight of his body pulled him down. This was then followed by a swift crack of the switch across his back.

"Stand straight!" they demanded, and he silently obeyed.

He could feel the warm blood trickle from his back only for it to slowly congeal and heal back up. They enjoyed this. Watching him suffer. He gritted teeth and withdrew into his mind. It was the only way to survive.

Eventually, the wagon came to a stop and the blindfold was taken off. He saw the door to the back of the wagon open and three people step out. All of them wore some sort of armored uniform, but he couldn't see much more. His eyes hurt as the sudden light from beyond the door hit them.

He squinted, and as his eyes finally adjusted, he saw the silhouette of a woman. Brown hair in a bun and a shrewd looking face. Her amethyst eyes bore holes through him, and the fairness of her skin stood out against the black of her dress. Lady Franchesca Albinne. His Magic Teacher.

"This is where we part," there was snideness to her words, "Listen closely, because I will only say this once."

She looked down her nose at him, her words dripping with disdain.

"Free yourself and find your way back," she lifted her right hand, the mark on the back of it glowing as he felt pain sear into his chest, "This is an order. There is a bandit camp nearby. Kill everyone there. You are to not run away. You are to fight. Kill or be killed. Those are your only options."

He felt his very mind twist as he received the orders. He had no choice. He couldn't disobey the mark. They were preparing her for someone. Her name was...Lady Vanessa. He didn't know why they were doing this, but he couldn't say anything. If he did, he knew what awaited him.

This wasn't the first time they had thrust him into a dangerous situation, but it was the first time he felt compelled to do it. He didn't like it. Yet, he couldn't stop.

"You have until nightfall three days from now," Lady Albinne stated dryly, "Prove yourself useful and maybe you'll be fed."

His eyes lit up as he felt his stomach rumble. He hadn't eaten the entire time he had been in the wagon. The last meal he had was porridge and a stale piece of bread the day before they had left. Only his mana was sustaining him.

A wicked smirk crossed Lady Albinne's face before she disappeared. He could hear them leaving in another wagon. It rolled along until he could no longer hear it. He had to get moving. He couldn't waste time. He had to obey.

There was an intense sense of murderous intent within his mind before he realized that it was not his own. It was the orders. To kill. Kill and survive. First things first...he had to free himself.~

The memory came to him in the days following the march towards Amberhold and solidified as he beheld its grandeur. It was not a pleasant memory. It was the first time he was ordered to kill, and those that he killed...

"They weren't bandits," Vincent explained in a pained, somber tone to Lady Miranda and the five Mages who had gathered before him, "It was a small village who refused to sell their land to the Noble Faction. Apparently, it held a valuable gemstone mine."

Vincent was telling them about this memory because Lady Miranda noticed that he was a little distracted. He had only been thinking about the past, but he was very focused. As the story unfolded, the faces of those gathered, including Gwen who leaned against a nearby tree, grew mortified.

He gave Gwen a reassuring smile, but it did nothing to ease the sympathetic pain she held upon her face. Lady Miranda was on the verge of tears yet remained strong. He did not think that it may have been an unpleasant thing to tell people, and so became silent.

"I apologize, I shouldn't-" he bowed his head to them, but Lady Miranda's hand stopped him.

"Vincent, you don't need to apologize," she spoke gently with an equally kind smile, "I was the one who asked. You simply told us."

"If you don't mind, Sir Vincent..." one of the Mages, a young man spoke up, "Could you...tell us what happened?"

They were probably in their mid to late twenties and had dark hair and green eyes. They wore robes with Gwen's crest upon its vestments. One of the other Mages elbowed him. Another man around the same age, but with soft brown hair and grey eyes with a sun-kissed complexion.

"Read the room, man," he muttered firmly to him.

"What? We're all curious, aren't?" he defended, "Besides, it's not like I don't get it. I just...maybe it'll help him if he says it?"

Vincent could see Gwen grow a little heated, standing from the tree with a dangerous look in her eye. Chuckling a little to himself, Vincent raised a hand to indicate that he was okay. This seemed to pacify her for the moment as she crossed her arms and leaned back against the tree with a huff.

"It's alright, everyone," Vincent told them, "I...don't mind. Perhaps he's right, but it...isn't pleasant."

Those before him grew quiet as he took a moment to compose himself. Though the Slave Mark no longer forced him to suppress his feelings, he had learned how to do so almost naturally because of it. Even so, it took a moment.

~Flashback~ Spiked wooden walls surrounded a town near the bottom of a cliff. His wrists hurt from the shackles that had been placed upon them. He rubbed them as he made his way almost in a trance towards the front gate. Men in armor flanked either side as they held their hand up.

He knew almost immediately that they were no bandits. Too well dressed.

"Hold!" they ordered, looking to each other in concern, "Boy, where are you from?"

"Look at him..." the other one muttered in concern, "He's barely clothed...we should help him."

"No," the other replied firmly, "We don't know where he's from or-"

"Fuck that," the second scoffed, "Are you heartless?"

Kill. Kill them all. Kill them. Kill. Kill. Kill.

The order bounced around his head. He couldn't fight it. He was hungry. So, so hungry. If he killed them, he'd be able to eat, but...they wanted to help him. At least, one of them did. He couldn't harm them. He couldn't...but he had to.

"No, cautious," they sighed, shaking their head, "Look, you know that Count Andross wants this town. We can't-"

"Oh, shove off it," the man interrupted, "It's a child. You really think the Count would stoop this low? Besides, what's a kid going to do? He's practically starved."

"Well..." they scratched their chin, assessing the boy, "He doesn't look like a threat...and that's not healthy. Fine, let's just-"

Vincent's eyes were vacant as he lifted a hand. Runes glowed in the air as tears streamed down his face. He didn't want to do this, but he had to. He couldn't disobey. Disobeying meant lashings. Lashings meant pain. Pain meant he had been bad. Being bad meant he couldn't eat.

He wanted to eat.

The first guard's head rolled from their shoulders and a thin concentrated wave of magic severed it. The second guard didn't have even a fraction to react as Vincent twisted his hand and send the wave towards him. It tore through them both in a matter of seconds.

"Kill...kill...survive..." Vincent muttered to himself, making his way slowly into the village.

Vincent's mind had gone blank. He thought of only one thing as the guards of the village realized what was happening. Obey.

They rushed him, and in his desperation, he was quick. Being young and spry, he was able to move faster than the adults. Yet, his hunger made him falter, earning him a few cuts. One in particular sliced through his forearm, severing it.

He remembered in horror the way his blood connected the two parts of his arm, but at the time he didn't have the luxury to think about it. While the guards were distracted by the mortification of it all, he acted. As if on instinct, he moved the blood like a whip, his hand still working on the other end as it traced symbols in the air and mana flowed forth.

A guard's entire side exploded as his hand touched him before being withdrawn back and reattached with a sickening thwuck. He was like a wild, ravenous animal. Men, women...children. All of them died by his hand. The entire village became a ghost town in a matter of hours.

By the end, he was surrounded by a sea of blood and corpses. Viscera coated him and the surrounding villages. The destruction he left in his wake was intense. Unfortunately, he had suffered severe injuries. One leg was gone, and he had lost another arm.

They would take time to regrow. He did not have much time left. He had to return. He only had until nightfall of the third day, and who knew how long he had to travel.~

"I made my way back," Vincent's tone was somber, contemplative, "I no longer felt the compulsion to kill, let alone survive, but I had to make it back."

By this point, Lady Miranda was fully crying. She held her hand to her mouth in horror, warm tears streaming down her face. Gwen's jaw was clenched, anger burning in her eyes. It was strange to Vincent. He felt...touched by their reactions. As if he was grateful for their kindness. For being able to get angry as well as sad on his behalf.

It was something no one had ever done before. Only they had ever shown such reactions in the time that he's known them. He hoped he didn't upset them with his story. As if reading his mind, Gwen spoke up as she made her way briskly towards him. Her hand was warm as she placed it upon his shoulder.

"You did not upset us," she whispered firmly, "I know that look."

"And here I thought I hid it well," Vincent joked with an awkward smile.

"...Did you see him make a face?" one of the Mages whispered to another, completely confused, "I didn't even see his eye twitch."

"Just shows how much Her Highness pays attention," another replied quietly.

Gwen's face blushed a little, but Vincent didn't mind the whispering. They were right. She did pay attention to him, and that...that made him happy. His heart practically beat from his chest. Seeing Gwen flustered a little was...cute.

"Long story short..." Vincent called out, placing a tender hand over Gwen's, "Is that I did make it back, but...I was late, according to them. The sun was just setting. They threw me into a cell without food. My recovery was...slow."

Vincent finished his story and motioned towards Lady Miranda. Gwen understood and gave her a warm smile, holding out an arm to her. Almost immediately, she threw herself into Gwen's embrace. Vincent gave a warm smile of his own, grateful that Gwen was able to help calm her. To help, Vincent placed a hesitant, yet kind hand upon her shoulder.

"It's okay, Lady Miranda," Vincent spoke quietly, "I'm no longer beholden to them...or the mark. That's why I need your help."

"Mhm," Lady Miranda nodded, composing herself with a determined expression, "Anything. Let's get these bastards."

Raising an eyebrow, it was the first time Vincent had heard her say something so vulgar. Realizing this, a blush entered her face as she pushed away from Gwen and hid herself by turning away sheepishly.

"Are you going to watch?" Vincent asked Gwen as he turned his attention towards her to allow Lady Miranda some time to gather herself and the other Mages.

"Of course," she gave a wicked smile, "I'm not missing this for anything."

Nodding, Vincent took a deep breath. It was time to return all the resentment that he had built up inside of him. Only now able to be released, for up until this moment, he was unable to feel it, let alone understand what it was. He knew now the anger seething inside of himself. The pure, unbridled rage.

"Everyone, if you could all follow me," Vincent requested of the Mages and Lady Miranda.

They nodded, forming ranks behind him as he made his way through the woods and towards a clearing at the top of a hill. From this vantage point, he could see the entirety of Amberhold, but more importantly...the Academy.

"Gwen..." Vincent motioned towards the tree line behind them, "It is going to be dangerous. I know you're strong, but please...wait over there."

"Don't worry, I won't get in the way," Gwen gave him a charming smile before turning to take her place to watch the festivities.

"No," Vincent placed a hand on her shoulder, stopping her before she got too far.

"Vincent?" Gwen looked at him a little puzzled.

"I apologize," Vincent smiled awkwardly, "I do not mean that you are in the way. I need you to watch over us and keep us safe. We'll be vulnerable during this."

Gwen's eyes immediately sharpened as she nodded firmly.

"No one will bother you," she vowed before he let her go to take her place.

He watched her go longingly, and after a moment, he turned his attention back towards the Mages.

"Alright, Mages!" Vincent raised his voice, his demeanor completely changing.

The air felt charged as he strode forward confidently. All eyes turned towards him.

"Lady Miranda, take center point," Vincent motioned as he came to a stop in the center of the clearing, "Stay behind me and from there, the rest of you spread out around me in a circle."

In unison, they all moved like clockwork. One by one, they got in their places. Six Mages surrounding a seventh. He could feel their power. The mana coursing through their bodies. Lady Miranda was incredibly strong, and the others were quite potent as well. They were perfect.

Turning towards Amberhold, his gaze focused in on the Academy. Silence fell over them as he took deep breaths. They all knew what to do. Raising their hands out towards each other, thin violet-blue lines of mana spread out from them. They twisted and turned as they slowly converged together. Once they touched, they were all linked by a singular, unbroken line of mana with Vincent in the center.

He could feel it. The thrum of power. The beating heart of life. Mana.

He took deep, steady breaths as he closed his eyes. With each breath he began to draw from this newly formed well. He could feel Lady Miranda move her arms forward, towards him. As she did, she became the catalyst which anchored the others and focused the mana into Vincent.

Thicker, more vibrant mana threads flowed from her towards him with each breath he took, and with each breath he felt his pulse quicken and the air crackle with energy. Wind blew through the clearing, rustling leaves and grass alike. The trees howled as the wind moved among its branches. He could feel the mana within himself circulate and flow to the beat of the mana coursing towards him.

His mind was in clear and utter focus. It had to be. One single mistake and the consequences would be dire, but he was made for this. How many times was he torn asunder by the magic of Francesca Albinne? How often was he subjected to intense mana training?

He knew the breathing techniques. He knew how to move along the tides of mana. It was as natural to him as it was to breathe. The moment the tendrils touched him, he drew them in. They twisted around his body like a vortex. He was the eye of the storm.

Slowly, he opened his eyes and channeled the mana up into his arms. It flowed, twisting like snakes constricting around him, yet they did not tighten. With delicate, expertly precise movements, he traced a large, runic symbol above them in the sky. Clouds began to form as the increased winds drew them in.

One circle glowed with a fiery orange. It encompassed the entire width of the clearing. Runes began to form inside its lines, tracing themselves in golden light. A second circle formed to encase them within the first. This glowed the same as the first circle. Larger runes now etched themselves in the air within the two circles. They formed swirling patterns of an ancient language long lost.

As the pattern formed and became complete, it flashed with a violet-blue like the mana channeled from the Mages into Lady Miranda, from Lady Mirand to Vincent, and from Vincent into the circle above. He could feel the strain, but it was nothing to him. Even the other Mages were doing admirably, especially Lady Miranda who rode the mana much like him. She was skilled.

Smiling to himself, he felt exhilaration as the power of the very world itself entered him. His eyes glowed brilliantly, and his body erupted into energy. An aura of icy blue lavender surged around him. He was the epitome of magic, and he was about to bring all hell down upon the very institution which had made him.

Of course, he had a target in mind. He didn't want to harm everyone in the Academy, but there was one in particular that he hoped would be hit by this. His gaze saw the largest tower in the center of the Academy. The Headmaster's Tower.

"Headmaster Markus..." Vincent's words echoed with power, reverberating with dangerous intent throughout the area, despite how softly he whispered, "I, Vincent Redwood, am no longer a slave. As a humble servant to Her Majesty, Gwenevere, and my dearest friend for helping me remember who I am...I send you my kindest regards."

The mana circle crackled and came to life with vast amounts of power. Pushing his mana through the circle, it became amplified and increased by at least a hundred-fold. The surface of the circle shimmered and changed into a golden-blue with an inner violet glow that grew brighter and brighter until it could no longer do so.

As it reached its zenith, static filled the air and, in that moment, the world stood still. There was a fraction of a breath as a satisfied smile crept across Vincent's Lips. Suddenly, everything erupted as the world seemed to remember that time existed.

The circle let out a fwoom sound followed by another and then another in quick succession as it released concentrated projectiles of sundering magic. It grew faster and faster with each release of energy as if reaching a great crescendo. One that only ended in complete and utter destruction.

It was like a rain of hellfire, but instead of hellfire, it was a blinding barrage of golden-blue comets streaking towards the point of Vincent's choice. The tower shimmered with an inner blue glow as the first shot landed. Defensive magic upon the structure, but with the second, it tore through the initial defenses, tearing a chunk of stone from the tower. It crumbled, falling onto the Academy roofs. Then, another one landed, tearing an entire section of the tower with it.

This was followed by another and another, with each one finding their mark. Vincent watched with avid attention as the tower began to completely crumble and fall to the artillery strike. It was Magical Warfare 101. Rain hell upon the enemy, and never let up.

Of course, that was impractical due to the limits of Mages. They were not inexhaustible. Vincent could feel the first signs of weakening upon those gathered around him. Lady Miranda was holding on, but the rest were reaching their limits.

"Hold for a little more," Vincent urged, watching the Academy closely, "A few more seconds!"

"Th-That's about all you'll get," Lady Miranda chuckled, a little out of breath.

Vincent smirked, grateful for her candor. While he hoped that this barrage had killed the Headmaster, and perhaps his little...pets, he was waiting for something else. Finally, in the distance, he saw it. A blue glow from the crystals dotting the walls of the Academy.

Like a switch had just been flipped. They came to life and even from here, Vincent could feel the magic come to life as a shimmer blue prismatic barrier erected itself over the Academy. Vincent held the circle for a little more, sending a few more barrages to test the barrier. The comets shattered against the surface of the shield, causing a rippling effect across it. It was sturdy, but...his smile grew devious.

"It's weaker than I thought..." Vincent mused to himself, slowing the mana flow and bringing it back to rein.

With slow, even breaths, he dispersed the mana back down into himself before carefully severing his connection with Lady Miranda. She then did the same for the Mages connected to her, and so on and so forth until each one was disconnected. Those who started the chain collapsed, completely exhausted as they took deep, heavy breaths.

Lady Miranda's legs were weak, but Vincent was there to hold her steady.

"Th-Thank you," she smiled, catching her breath, "That was...something else."

"No, thank you, "Vincent told her gently, "You did extremely well. Is it your first time in a formation?"

"N-No," Lady Miranda shook her head, "It's just...been a while."

"Well, you did great," Vincent praised, helping her steady herself, "I knew I chose correctly when I asked you to be the focal point."

"Heh, yeah...piece of cake," she joked, both of them chuckling to each other.

Gwen rushed over, awe and concern in her expression.

"Are you two okay?" she wondered, checking Vincent over with extreme prejudice, "You're not hurt, are you, Vincent?"

Lady Miranda gave him an amused, teasing look before leaving the two of them together. "H-Hey!" Vincent looked after her like a lost puppy being abandoned. "Traitor!" He lamented, the first time he's ever been able to express something playfully so openly to himself.

"Vincent?" Gwen repeated, her voice full of concern, "Are you-"

"Yes, Gwen," Vincent took her hands which were looking him over and held them together in his, "I'm fine. Truly. Though...I do appreciate the concern..."

He smiled fondly, flush with embarrassment. She smiled coyly, looking to feel a little silly, and that's when the both of them realized they were holding hands. With faces redder than Gwen's hair, they both immediately released each other and took a few steps back, clearing their throats.

"I-I see, that's good," Gwen nodded, composing herself unconvincingly, "So, what's the damage?"

"Ah, uhm, let me check," Vincent gratefully turned to check on the Academy and was pleased to see that the damage he hoped to accomplish had been done.

The tallest tower of the Academy was nowhere to be seen, let alone most of the area around it. Vincent wasn't concerned though, as he knew that the only people who were in that section of the Academy should only be the Headmaster and those he allows there. One of them was Franchesca Albinne, and Vincent hoped both of them were caught up in it.

If they survived, well...he'd just have to remedy that when the time came. For now, he had accomplished his goal.

"It was quite effective," Vincent reported with a nod of approval, "We'll have to keep up the barrage until the city is evacuated, but nothing like what we just did. Let them rest. They'll need it."

"So will you," Gwen nudged him, giving him a stern look, "Just because you're one of the rare few with larger than normal mana doesn't mean you can get out of resting."

Vincent shrunk a bit at her words, for they spoke truth he didn't want to hear, but he also knew that if he refused to do so, she might just carry him the entire way back to camp and into his tent where she'd probably sit there until he slept. Not that he would complain, but...it was embarrassing. Too embarrassing to allow to happen.

"D-Don't worry," Vincent attempted to assuage her, "I'll rest, I'll rest."

"You better," Gwen's tone took on a bit of a threat, but it wasn't out of malice, but concern...compassion, "Just to be sure. I'll walk you back."

He let out a sigh of relief, for at least she wasn't going to carry him. Of course, the entire time they walked back, he couldn't get the thought out of his mind. She did have nice, strong arms to...shaking his head free of the thought, he hid his blushing face and buried it into his pillow the moment he was left alone in his tent.

Little did he know, his barrage had done more than he initially intended. He was too distracted by thoughts of Gwen to really notice, but by morning, a missive had come. Amberhold, and the authorities within, unanimously and unconditionally surrendered.

The path to the Academy was clear.

-----

Hey! Thank you for reading this current release of the story. As I said in chapter 31, this is the beginning of the end to this story. After the war, there will be another arc or two pertaining to the aftermath of these events. I do not know how many chapters are left, and as always, I will release them as I am able. For now, I will be taking a short break due to the holidays, but may have a chapter or two spring up before the end of this month.

For anyone reading my other two stories, Fae King's Desperation and Regressor's Lover, I will be back to them shortly, but hope to finish this story first as it's nearing the end. So, I may be focusing my efforts here for a while. Thank you for your understanding, but as always, my mind and energy levels are all over the place and this may change. This is just what I hope will happen.

Also, for those confused about the layout of Amberhold, hope I explained it well enough, but if not, here is a very rough map of the area (extremely rough, it was made in paint...lol)

Spoiler

V80iI8z.jpg

[collapse]

0