Chapter 35: Scars of the Past
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 35:

Scars of the Past

(Gwen's POV)

"Report," Gwen ordered of the Knight who met them as they made their way up the slope towards the Academy.

"The barrier continues to hold," they stated, walking to keep up with her as she passed.

The streets were empty, save for the people of her army. Every citizen was designated to the Gate Districts where they would be watched and protected by the auxiliary force. This included those who had surrendered. Stripped of their weapons and armor, as well as any status in the city, they were rounded up in the Gate Districts for safe keeping.

Their crimes, for what they were, would be decided after the Academy was taken and punished accordingly. They didn't have time to sift through them. They could only keep them contained for now. This left the Luxum Quarter completely empty save for Gwen's Army, the Wister Knights and their allies.

"Show me to the gates," Gwen told them, her footsteps echoing upon the cobblestone.

"Y-Your Highness, are you sure?" the Knight questioned, a little concerned, "While they are trapped behind the barrier, there are still magical traps and-"

"I won't repeat myself," Gwen interrupted with a sharp glance.

The Knight glanced over at Vincent, who walked by her side, almost as if looking for help to dissuade her. However...

"I trust her," Vincent said coolly, "You also trust her, don't you?"

The question was more of an accusation. One that the Knight quickly picked up on. They stood straight, pride in their eyes.

"Of course," they replied adamantly, "With my life. Very well, this way."

The Knight quickly moved on ahead to lead them. Gwen gave an amused smile towards Vincent as the two of them followed close behind. It wasn't like they didn't know the way. It was easy to see the walls of the Academy from the Luxum Quarter from the moment they left the small manor. Its wide roads and floral planters did nothing to obscure the grandeur of the Academy in the distance, nor the other splendid mansions dotting the slope.

However, there were battlements everywhere. A makeshift camp on the slope leading up to the Academy. It housed the soldiers and knights around various command posts which were requisitioned manors. In the distance, Gwen could make out the flashes of magic as they erupted against the barriers.

"I know I asked this before, but..." Vincent inquired, a little nervously, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Gwen glanced at him with a mischievous smile.

"Aren't you curious?" Gwen asked him in return.

He shifted a bit as they walked, making their way through the maze of tents and other hastily crafted structures. After a moment, he sighed.

"I can't say that I'm not," He admitted, a little exasperated, "Though, you're quite capable of it yourself."

"Sure, but that's no fun," Gwen pouted slightly, sulking as she nudged him playfully, "Come on, you asked if you could help with something. Do you not want to?"

He glared at her, completely unamused.

"Of course I do," he grumbled, "You know I do. That's unfair of you to ask."

"Heh, sorry," Gwen apologized, "If it makes you feel uncomfortable though..."

"No, it's fine," Vincent let out a soft sigh, "You don't have to apologize. You're only teasing me."

"I've already sent word ahead to Miranda," Gwen told him, her eyes turning towards their destination, "She should be meeting us there."

"I hope she's rested..." Vincent mumbled.

"Cassandra wouldn't let her overwork," Gwen assured him, "Just like I won't let you overwork. So, just take it easy, but also...give me everything who got."

"That's contradictory," he scoffed, shaking his head, "Very well. Just don't blame me if it's too much."

Gwen smiled widely, looking forward to it. Her plan was simple. In order to breach the wall and the barrier at the same time, she wanted to amplify her abilities with those of her Mage-Guards. She saw what they did the day before and an idea sparked in her head. Mana was inherent in both Mages and Aura Users, and she wasn't unfamiliar with formations. Even Aura Users had them.

However, the question was...what if a Mage and an Aura User made a formation? It had to have been done at some point, right? Theoretically, it was possible, and it was the only reason Vincent had agreed. It used the same premise as healing, but instead of using the energy to heal themselves, the Aura User would use it to amplify themselves.

This was the perfect chance to test it. The wall would be breached today. As the soldiers and knights saw her walk among them, they knew what was coming. An order had gone out ahead of time. If they see her on the field, prepare to breach the gates.

Almost immediately, the news of her arrival spread and the army began to shift. Soldiers returned to their units. Commanders began to issue orders. Flags were being waved to relay messages across the field to save time. Runners weren't fast enough. Soon, the entire army was mobilized and in formation by the time Gwen arrived at the front.

Shieldsmen stood guard in a wall formation, and waiting just behind them was Cassandra and Miranda. Cassandra stood in her gleaming armor, though it was a little worse for wear. Miranda looked primed and ready, a light in her eye.

"V-Vincent," Miranda greeted with a smile, a little nervous, "I heard what we'll be doing, but...are you sure?"

Vincent looked at Gwen before giving a small shrug.

"Honest, Lady Miranda," Vincent sighed, "I tried talking her out of it, but...it's theoretically possible, and...I am curious."

"W-Well," Miranda chimed in, getting a little excited, "I did a small test with Cass while I waited....it's possible."

Gwen's smile grew wider, much to the detriment of Vincent who let out a low groan. Taking a deep breath, he composed himself and nodded.

"Let's do this," Vincent said, though Gwen noticed something as she watched him.

His hands were shaking, though he was doing his best to hide it. His eyes furtively continued to glance at the Academy walls. He was nervous. Anxious. Yet, not about what Gwen wanted to do.

"Vincent..." Gwen took his hands in hers, much to his surprise, his eyes widening slightly, "It's alright. You'll never be trapped behind those walls again. Everyone in there who's ever harmed you...their lives end today."

She could feel his hands shake even through her gauntlets. He gave a weak smile as he nodded.

"Yeah," his words were half-hearted, and his eyes a little unsteady, "I, uh...just got a little overwhelmed suddenly. Seeing the Academy this close...Knowing who may be behind those walls. I...what if I freeze? I can already feel it. The urge to grovel before them."

Gwen raised an armored hand to his face, cupping it gently. She gave him the warmest smile she could.

"You grovel to no one," Gwen told him firmly, "Just remember that. And if you freeze...I'll be right there. Nothing will happen to you."

Vincent closed his eyes against her touch and took a deep breath. His shaking subsided as he grew steady once more. As he opened his eyes, they were resolved. Though beneath the surface she could still see his apprehension. No matter what happened, she would not leave his side.

"Let's do this, Vincent," Gwen said softly.

Turning towards Miranda, she motioned for her to follow. Walking towards the shield wall, she ordered them to part. They made a gap for the three of them to make their way through. Her eyes scanned the area before the gate and took everything in.

Pristine cobblestone now scorched from the magic which had battered it. A wide road lined by columns leading up to the walls of the Academy. There, set within it was a large double gate made of metal. From the sheen, it was reinforced with magic. It was a resplendent gate etched with a depiction of the full moon surrounded by stars.

Carved into the stone of the wall above the gate were the words: Royal Magic Academy – All Are Equal In The Face Of Education.

"...What a joke," Gwen scoffed, unsheathing her sword as an aura of crimson surrounded her.

A flash of light as a wave of crimson tore into the wall. The words upon it destroyed in an instant. Satisfied with her handiwork, she turned her gaze above. She saw them there. Knights of the Academy. Men and women in silver armor and dark blue cloaks. They looked down with a variety of expressions ranging from fear to anger and everything in between.

She paid no heed to any of them, for she did not care how they felt. Only how they responded. Taking a deep breath, she raised a fist to the army at her back. Almost immediately, the entire field grew silent. The Mages who had been assaulting the barrier ceased. The only thing that could be heard was the thrumming of the barrier and the wind blowing gently across them all.

"Hear me!" Gwen's voice echoed over everyone, "I am Gwenevere Vossen-Stone, Second Imperial Princess of the Empire. Harken and submit! I've come only for those who have sullied your great Academy."

She let the words settle before continuing. Her eyes scanning the top of the battlements. IT was late afternoon, the sun still high in the sky.

"Those you have placed your trust in have failed you," Gwen informed them, her voice strong and unbreaking, "I am sure many have noticed the inadequacy in which this great institution has handled itself. The biased favoritism. The corruption. Bribes. Fraud. Murder. These are but a few of the crimes committed by those you call leaders."

There was a shift on the battlements as one of the Academy Knights shouted out.

"You slander us!" they berated angrily, "You, who is meant to protect us, attack such a peaceful institution! We have students here! Children! You dare call yourself a liberator!"

There was a rustle of agreement, but some were not convinced. She could see it among them. The discourse. The uncertainty.

"Then you are blind!" Gwen responded confidently, "Tell me. Where are your leaders now? As the enemy is at your gates, where do they hide? Why are you the one to meet me and not them? I will tell you."

Gwen watched as they all shifted nervously. They looked to each other, not seeing a single one of their leaders among them.

"They are cowards!" Gwen roared, "I come to you now as a courtesy. Stand down. I am only here for those who have corrupted this Empire. Those who have forced my hand and continue to undermine all that is good in this world. You know it yourself. You've seen it.

"Open your minds! See the reality before you. Stand down and I will not harm you. Stand in my way, and I will cut you down without a second thought."

She let her words sink in for a moment. They muttered amongst themselves, and as soon as doubt began to set in, another booming voice echoed across the field.

"Do not be fooled!" a voice that was deep and as smooth as velvet, "I do not abandon you. Hear me! The Prince is a traitor to her people. She wishes to upset the balance of this great institute and sow doubt in your hearts. Hear me! Defend this sacred learning ground!"

The image of a man in flowing robes of dark blue and gold floated onto the battlements. Stepping down, he walked his way to the edge. He had cool grey eyes and a slightly dark complexion. Black hair slicked back, he had an arrogant vibe to him. The way he looked down upon Gwen as if she was insignificant amused her, but her amusement quickly left her as he spoke once more.

"Ah, Vincent," his tone was condescending, "So good to see you again. I would have thought you knew better than this. Miss Albinne will be very disappointed in you."

Gwen turned towards Vincent to find him being comforted by Miranda. He was shaking violently, yet his eyes were on fire. He glared up at the man with a burning hatred, yet his body was so conditioned to feel the fear deep in his heart that it was acting on its own.

"...Markus," Vincent muttered, "He survived...damn it."

"Vincent..." Gwen made her way to him, a gentle hand upon his shoulder, "Are you okay?"

His gaze turned towards her, giving her slight pause. She had never seen him this angry before. Even when Iris was kidnapped, he had never looked so...dangerous.

"I want to kill him," Vincent told her, "He said Albinne is alive too...Gwen, please. I-"

"Shh," Gwen soothed him, "We'll get them. I promise you."

"Don't forget about me..." Miranda agreed, her usually shy self now incensed with anger, "Anything you need."

"Now that's more like it," Markus taunted, "Cower, as you always do. Know your place. You're nothing. You-"

His words were cut off as the barrier shuddered. A powerful blast of Sword Aura burst against it right where he was. Startled, he stumbled back, only able to keep his footing with the help of those around him. He snarled, shaking them off in embarrassment. Gwen was standing, having been the one to send such a warning towards him. Her aura was fierce, glowing with a refined strength.

"Shut your whore mouth," Gwen glared at him intensely, murder in her eyes, "Hear me now. I've given my warning. Stand with us or stand against us. Free yourselves and live for a better tomorrow, or cower in the dark and be burned in the light."

She could feel the power surging within her. Vincent and Miranda were standing together, hands extended out towards her. Miranda helped to steady Vincent as his body subconsciously reacted to seeing Markus, but neither were unfocused. If anything, Vincent's eyes were clearer than ever.

Their mana flowed in threads of lavender and amber intertwined. Their bodies became enveloped with the power of their magic. Miranda glowed with an amber-green. A steady, calm aura. Vincent's was a cold, cool lavender, yet Gwen could feel in it a hidden warmth.

Together, they poured their mana into Gwen as she focused it all into her blade. Striding forward, she flourished her blade and brought it up in her right hand with the tip pointed towards the gate. Grounding herself, she planted her legs apart, turning her body sideways.

Raising her left hand, palm outstretched, she used it as an aiming tool. The blade of her sword continued to gather an immense amount of power. The threads of amber-lavender coalesced with her own crimson aura around her blade. Taking steady, even breaths, she relaxed herself.

Above them on the ramparts of the wall, Markus's eyes widened. He could feel the power emanating from her. The surrounding area fluctuating with the pressure as a turbulent wind surrounded the three of them. Markus fled, and all those on the wall saw it.

"...Coward," Gwen muttered softly, though her voice rumbled with power.

Focusing herself, she tensed and thrust forward. The power built up in her sword burst forth. A beam of energy tore forward, shredding the cobblestone as it rocketed towards the gate. Upon impact, a shimmer fracture appeared like spiderwebs. The gate bent inwards as the protection around it shattered. This caused a chain reaction across the entire barrier. One by one, the crystals gave out.

They shattered, losing their light. The gate itself burst wide open, half-melted and half-broke. Coming to a rest, Gwen stood in satisfaction, triumphant in her endeavor. Her blade seethed with wisps of energy floating upwards. She could feel Miranda and Vincent rescind their mana as she raised her sword high.

"Forward! Take the Academy!" Her orders echoed out across the field and a large roar of cheers responded.

The ground shook as they all rushed forward, moving around Vincent, Gwen, and Miranda. Gwen turned her attention towards the two of them, seeing that Miranda was still attempting to comfort Vincent. He hugged his arms to himself, struggling with the demons of his mind.

"I got it from here," Gwen told Miranda softly, "Go find Cassandra. Round those bastards up for us."

Miranda looked at her with an understanding eye.

"We'll find them," Miranda assured her before moving off.

Gwen watched her for a moment before turning her attention solely to Vincent. Sheathing her blade, she wrapped her arms around him and pulled into him to a comforting embrace.

"I got you, Vincent," she whispered affectionately, "Always."

-----

(Vincent's POV)

He thought he was fine. Up until he saw the Academy so close, he was burning with a desire to destroy it. To level it all to the ground. What good was an institution so corrupt? Rather, what good was a place filled with so much torment for those like him?

Those halls had memories in them that were less than pleasant. Not just for himself, but for many who had seen firsthand the cruelties of classism. To be fair, Vincent only saw the darker recesses of the Academy. He barely saw the pristine corridors filled with children eager to learn. Even so, with such dark secrets, those walls were not worthy of holding such promising young minds.

Yet, as he drew near to those walls, his own mind began to close in on him. He was back in those halls. Isolated and kept locked away. Any interaction was closely monitored. He was ostracized before he even had the chance to attempt to make any meaningful connections. However, that wasn't what began to eat away at him.

Those walls, so tall and suffocating. Just like his mind, he felt them closing in on him. He was back underneath the Academy. His "dorm room" was barely a five-by-five-foot cell made of stone and metal. He took steady, even breaths to calm himself, and for time...he persevered in the face of such memories. Pushed back against the walls pressing down on him.

That all changed when he saw him. No, it wasn't when he saw him, but heard him that everything crumbled. Headmaster Markus. His voice pierced Vincent's ears and a deep dread that he had thought he buried rose to the surface. Vincent had thought...no, hoped he had killed him in the initial barrage.

Vincent's thoughts became a blank slate. Whatever strength he had completely disappeared. It was like he was suddenly plunged into cold water of unfathomable depths. Suddenly, he was not the man who had found himself. He was the child who lost themself.

Headmaster Markus, more formally known as Duke Grayson, was a prominent figure in high society. Not only had he been one of the youngest in the history of the Academy to graduate, but he was from the prestigious Grayson Family. A notable family of Mages who had a long history of holding both military and academic accolades.

During Vincent's time at the Academy, it was under Headmaster Markus's watchful eye that Vincent was...taken care of. He had assigned Miss Albinne to him. He had personally overseen several evaluations of Vincent's abilities and judged him accordingly. He was among those in the room during his training with Lord Evergreen.

Vincent was quickly made to obey Headmaster Markus. He was the ultimate authority. That's who Vincent had been kept so hidden. No one would dare go against the Headmaster for fear of not only his incredible skill, but the wrath of his family. He had many of the teachers wrapped around his finger, Miss Albinne being one of them.

You could say he was a central figure to the Noble Faction, but on the surface, he kept the facade of neutrality for the sake of the Academy. Though, everyone knew where his family stood. To cross anyone of noble blood would be to cross him, and thus many commonfolk were cowed and those of lesser noble standing who didn't agree with the treatment many received. Vincent was grateful, to an extent, that his time at the Academy had been short.

Of course, years couldn't exactly be considered short. From the moment he was 8 years old, sold by his father to the Empire, he had spent his time in the Academy until he had caught the eye of Lady Vanessa. Then, he was only there periodically for training. The rest of the time he spent as a plaything for her.

His time was split between the two until he was mostly with Lady Vanessa. He..."No."

The voice came from deep within. He felt the comforting hands of someone nearby. Lady Miranda. Vincent's vision came into view as he pushed the visions away. It took everything in him to focus what was reality into view. His body wouldn't listen to him, but his mind...his mind was his own.

Gwen had given it back to him. What Markus had taken, she had given back. What Evergreen stole, she had restored. What Vanessa had defiled, she had healed. What Albinne conditioned, she had broken.

He was no longer that scared, obedient little boy. He was Vincent Redwood, Son of Alva Redwood, Brother to Iris Briar, and above all...friend of Gwenevere Vossen-Stone. His mind had slipped back into conformity and formality, but just as they had conditioned him, she had planted a seed that would not die. One that sprouted and grew into a beautiful, strong desire.

A desire to never go back to them. He had tasted freedom and he would never allow anyone to control him like they had done. The only one who could even remotely order him was Gwen, and he knew that she would not do so lightly. Which made him want to serve her...to be with her even more. She was everything a person should be. Kind. Strong. Compassionate.

Vincent's eyes burned with an inner fire as he glared up at the man who once thought of him as nothing but an insect. A toy. He reveled in Vincent's progression. Praised him whenever he killed the other students in the "evaluations". Everything was officially documented, but the truth of it was...they were breeding a perfect slave.

Someone who would kill without hesitation for the one who ordered it. Someone who would serve diligently and immaculately. Someone they could beat within an inch of their life, and would thank them for it. Vincent never wanted to go back. He wouldn't.

He met eyes with Lady Miranda, using everything he could to nod. She understood, taking his hand and helping him lift it. He poured everything he could, within reason, towards Gwen. Slowly, he regained a bit of his own autonomy, and together, Lady Miranda and him empowered Gwen. She was right...it was possible.

He watched with intense pleasure as the gates to the Academy tore open. Each crystal upon the wall flickered into lifelessness as they shattered. He couldn't have been more excited. More...thrilled than in that moment, but in that moment he could hardly control himself.

Gwen ordered Lady Miranda to go on ahead as he suddenly found himself in a most welcome embrace. She held him, soothing him. Her words, her touch, her mere presence calmed him. He took deep breaths. She did not rush him. Even in armor, she felt...warm.

"...I would usually apologize at this point," Vincent muttered, half-joking before he took an uneven, deep breath, "However...thank you is the more appropriate response, is it not?"

"Heh, yes, Vincent, it is," Gwen chuckled, the care in her voice eased his heart, "Honestly, I should have realized something like this might happen. I-"

"Gwen," he chastised, a playful warning, "You're not the only one who should have realized. So, don't go there."

Sighing, she smiled softly in understanding.

"You're right, I'm sorry. Let's not blame ourselves," she apologized sincerely, then her words took on a completely different tone, one of deadly determination, "Instead, when you're ready...let's get those bastards."

Vincent smiled, closing his eyes for a moment to just feel the world around him. The ground thumped under his feet. The sound of everyone rushing to secure the Academy was...incredible. However, what was more incredible was how he could still smell a faint hint of flowers upon the air. How could he smell that amongst all the dust, sweat, and the ozone from magic?

He could only chuckle to himself. Perhaps his nose had attuned to the scent. It was, after all, a pleasant one. Whatever the case, he was grateful, for he was finally getting control of his body back. She helped to steady him, and the scent lingered for a moment before disappearing. The loss of it left him empty, yet it was inappropriate to attempt to smell it again.

That would require some...less than decent boundaries. The thought of it caused his heart to race, and a light blush appeared upon his face. Swallowing hard, he forced himself to focus. Taking a look around, the walls of the Academy seemed much smaller now. They weren't so oppressive, and he wondered...why did he ever fear them?

"Let's go," he urged, drawing upon the mana within himself, the air crackling and growing cold around him, "I have a job I didn't finish. I shouldn't leave work half-done."

He was, of course, referring to Markus and Franchesca still being alive. A wicked grin spread across Gwen's face to match the cold, stoic nature of his own. She knew exactly what he meant.

"Well, we don't want that, now do we?" she teased, taking her place by his side, "I wouldn't want to get in the way of that."

"Nonsense, Gwen," Vincent glanced at her from the corner of his eye, "You're never in the way."

As the words left his lips, Gwen's expression grew tender. Her gentle smirk upon her lips as the two of them quickly moved with the rest of the soldiers and knights to take the Academy.

-----

0