Chapter 37: Echoes of the Past
64 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37:

Echoes of the Past

(Vincent's POV)

He thought it would feel...different. Yet, all he felt was empty. While their shadows had disappeared from his life, he still felt the weight of everything they had done. It brought him no peace. The only solace was that they could never do it to another soul.

"Vincent..." Gwen's gentle voice called as her hand found his shoulder, "Take your time."

"...We don't have much of it," he joked with a half-hearted smile, still trying to wrap his head around everything that had happened.

Franchesca and Markus were dead. Erin was no more. Many in the Noble Faction of the Academy had been killed or captured. Victory was theirs. So...why did it feel so hollow?

"Can I...show you something?" Vincent asked tentatively, "All of you."

By all of them, he meant Gwen, Lady Cassandra, and Lady Miranda. They were all gathered together in the tunnels below, having run when Franchesca overloaded herself in an effort to kill them, as well as Markus who had ultimately betrayed her. Vincent did not hesitate to attack her when he saw the opportunity, and there was no regret in his heart. He wanted to kill her.

However, he saw the betrayal in her eyes. For a moment, there was an intense satisfaction before he felt something he didn't quite like...pity. He had felt pity for her. As if all those years, he had grown attached to the one constant in his life. It sickened him to think that he felt pity for someone who had caused him so much pain.

It made him realize just how deep their conditioning had gone. He had to get rid of this place, but before that...he wanted them to understand. He was sure they already did, and perhaps it wasn't necessary, but...he didn't want to face it alone.

"Of course," Gwen nodded, motioning to several knights who had come with them, "Take the prisoners back up and give orders to scour for documents of any kind."

"Yes, Ma'am," they saluted and began escorting the teachers and several of the older students down the tunnels.

"W-Wait! Arrested!" one of them spluttered, "But we've done nothing! We're on your side!"

"That's still to be seen," she stated with a slightly threatening tone, "Don't forget. While you did not attack us...you still allowed this to happen. Your guilt, or lack of it, will be determined later. For now, you will be arrested."

She stared them down to ensure that they understood.

"It'd be in your best interest to comply," she finalized, motioning to the knights to continue.

They did as they were told, and while a few grumbled, they seemed to realize that it was for the best. Vincent didn't recognize any of them, and perhaps that was a good thing. Anyone he recognized had personally taken an interest in him and were complicit in everything that had happened.

"V-Vincent..." Lady Miranda called, a little nervously, "Are you really okay?"

She was kind to worry.

"Honestly, Lady Miranda, I-" Vincent began, but was interrupted almost immediately.

"Nuhuh," she firmly said, shaking her head adamantly, "Miranda, Vincent. Hell, even Miri. We're well past formalities, aren't we?"

It was one of those rare occasions where the shy, almost always nervous Lady Miranda put her foot down. Of course, she was right. I had started to call Gwen by her name, but...

"And when are you going to call Gwen, Gwen?" Vincent retorted with a teasing smirk.

Miranda's cheeks turned red as Lady Cassandra began to laugh.

"The same goes for you, Lady Cassandra," he added, tilting his head, "I think we're all well past formalities...Cassandra, Miranda. It's time you practice what you preach."

Cassandra froze up, stiffening as Gwen stifled a laugh. From what Vincent knew, she had been trying to get Miranda and Cassandra to use her name for the longest time. They were two of her best friends. Her most loyal of companions. If Vincent was to use their names...they should definitely be using names.

"That's...damn," Cassandra sighed, shaking her head in disbelief, "He's got us there, Miri. We've been telling him it's alright, but..."

"What was it you said before, Cass?" Gwen intoned mischievously, "If I remember correctly it was 'Not a chance, Your Highness'? Will the mighty stickler, Cassandra, finally break?"

Cassandra scowled, grimacing as she realized she was backed into quite the corner.

"Careful, you two," Miranda spoke up, playfully poking Cassandra in the side as she tried to hide a smile, "She might explode if she breaks ranks."

"I will not!" Cassandra defended with a huff, "I just...it's weird, okay!"

"Yeah, I know," Vincent said bluntly, "Trust me. I know."

Cassandra winced, knowing she couldn't beat him on that.

"I guess...you do," taking a deep sigh, Cassandra narrowed her eyes at Gwen, "We have known each other a lot, have we not...Gwen."

Gwen's face broke into one of the biggest smiles as Cassandra's turned completely red in embarrassment.

"See! It's weird!" Cassandra bemoaned.

"Nonsense, Cass," Gwen reassured her, though she was chuckling, "I'm just...relieved. It's like I'm finally surrounded by friends, rather than retainers who just so happen to also be my friends."

"Well, in formal settings we should still-" Miranda began but Gwen cut her off.

"Nope," Gwen shook her head, "Not a chance. You three are an exception. Doesn't matter the setting. If I have to, I'll make it an imperial order once I'm Empress. I'll do it too."

They both grimaced, looking at each other and deciding that it was not worth that risk.

"Y-You don't have to do that, Gwen..." Miranda finally said, dropping the formalities, "We're...really going to do it, yes?"

"We're going to try," Gwen nodded, "Though...if I'm being honest, The Emperor has gotten weak, and the Noble Faction...this Empire is in shambles. The groundwork has been laid. All we have to do is take it."

There was a murmur of agreement amongst them, and for a while, the atmosphere was warm, but there was something looming over Vincent, and he was loathe to break the mood.

"I'm happy to finally see everyone on the same page," Vincent spoke up, melancholy in his tone, "It makes me not want to ruin the mood, but..."

The group fell silent as they turned sympathetic gazes upon him. They understood.

"Lead the way, Vincent," Gwen said softly, "We're right with you."

He gave a weak smile and nodded. He knew they were by his side. All of them were, and not just them. The staff of the Viridian Manor, the Wisteria Knights, and...Iris and Countess Briar, or perhaps...would it be okay to call her Nora? The thought was a little embarrassing.

Perhaps given some more time, it would be okay, but for now, Vincent turned his attention towards the looming abyss. That which he had to face. He wanted to, for he felt like it was the only way to truly leave this place behind. Taking a deep breath, he motioned for them to follow.

-----

(Vincent's POV, Cont.)

"Vincent, this is..." Miranda let out a soft gasp, covering her mouth in horror.

"...Yeah," Vincent's answer rang hollow, his gaze distant.

They were standing before a cell that was barely five-by-five-foot. Its bars were rusted and stained with blood. He recounted every single mark upon them. Five scoring marks, seventy-six scratches, and eight places where the metal had become worn down from use. Of course, now there was much more, having been abandoned when he began to live with Vanessa.

"This is where I lived," Vincent muttered as if in a trance, "Those shackles, there...my foot would be tied to it every day, except when they took me out."

Sure enough, there was a rusted shackle connected to the wall by an equally rusted spike. His eyes turned towards the small divot in the floor where the water had dripped and worn away. Moss was growing in full, and the dripping from the ceiling was still the same. He watched it as if mesmerized.

One, two. Drip. Three, four. Drop. One, two. Drip. Three, four. Drop.

The pattern was still the same, even after all these years. He grew nostalgic just hearing it. From the looks of everything, the cell had not been used since he left. Much like how they neglected him, the cell he had used had been left to its own devices.

"This...this is where you were?" Gwen stepped up next to him, her voice quivering, "Vincet, I'm so sorry. I should have-"

"No, Gwen," Vincent held his hand up, his voice quiet, "You did all you could. I believe that. Now, we can do better...together."

"...Yeah, Vincent," Gwen spoke just as softly, placing a comforting hand upon his shoulder, "We will. Tell me what you need."

"I don't..." Vincent shook his head, staring at the cell, "I honestly don't know. I just...had to come back here. I had to see it now that I am...different."

He smiled weakly with a dry chuckle. Placing his hand over Gwen's on his shoulder, he felt her presence and anchored himself to this moment. Slowly, he began to count. His eyes scanning the walls for all those familiar marks.

"One...two..." Vincent began slowly, each one carved into his memory, " Thirty-one...thirty-two...thirty-three." There were still the same marks upon the wall. Not a single new one had formed. The pock marks, however, had grown from years of neglect.

What used to be two-hundred and sixty-four had turned into five-hundred and twenty-two. Tiny holes that told the story of this cell. Neglect. Abuse. Pain. Abandonment. He burned it all into his mind before raising a shaky hand.

"I'll never be in a cell again," Vincent stated with vitriol, "Especially this one. I can't. I won't."

"No, you won't," Gwen agreed gently, her voice his anchor in the dark, "I promise you, Vincent. You'll never be imprisoned ever again. You're free."

He felt great comfort in her words and even more as she brought her hand up to help him steady his own. He was not alone in this, and he would never be again. He smiled gratefully as his mana flowed through him. He had come to face his past, and now...he would end it. From this moment on, he would strive towards the future.

He knew that he would never be completely free of his past, and there would be times he'd be confronted by it, but he could not be shackled by it. He had to let himself be free. This was just one of many steps to do so. He focused his magic, golden runic circles began to trace themselves in the air and along the walls of the cell.

Taking a deep, shaky breath, he released his magic into the circles and like a dam giving way, the walls began to shake and tremble violently before completely collapsing. The cell imploded with chunks of dirt, stone, and metal. It was nothing more now than a heap of debris.

Slowly, he lowered his hand, though Gwen did not release her hold on him. In fact, he almost subconsciously took her hand in his, and she did not resist. They squeezed each other's hand in solidarity, and as they turned from the now ruined cell, they did not release their hold on the other until they ascended back up, but before that they took a few detours.

He showed them every single room he remembered. The worst of them being the one he had been mostly "trained" in. Chains hung from the ceiling from where they would suspend him. Many tools lay on a tray upon a table. They were bloody, and from the looks of it, had still been in use.

This didn't surprise Vincent, for they had found a few young Mages trapped down here on the way to confront Markus. They had, of course, freed them and taken them up to be treated. It looked like they were trying to create another like Vincent, but...he didn't think they succeeded.

This was because they had appeared to be thrown away. As if discarded products. Failures. It was...disgusting. To simply discard another person so easily? How vile. How cruel.

The reactions of Gwen, Miranda, and Cassandra were all appropriate. Cassandra and Gwen were stoic, their jaws clenched as they beheld the horrors which lay beneath the Academy. Miranda was a little more expressive.

Her eyes were teary, hugging Vincent quite a lot, to the point that Gwen began to separate them. He didn't know why, as he didn't mind. To be honest, he was too distracted to realize the reason. That being jealousy. Of course, he would not know that.

Realizing that they had spent too much time down here, they began to ascend.

"There's one more place I'd like to take you all," he told them as they made their way back up, "Don't worry. This one is actually...pleasant."

Gwen gave his hand an affectionate squeeze before finally releasing him. He had felt hollow before, but now without her comfort, he felt even more empty. Especially after everything that he had just relived, but now that he had...he honestly felt much better.

"Gwen," Vincent spoke to her as they walked the halls of the school, "Is it too much to ask that this place be destroyed? Are we capable of doing that?"

As if she was waiting for him to ask, a devilish grin spread across her face.

"Oh, we're quite capable," Gwen answered with an almost murderous glee, "Just say the word. I'll have them set some charges. The Mage-Corp should be capable enough, Miranda?"

"Yes," she acknowledged, "It'll take some time, but they should be able to place explosive runes at strategic points. It was bad enough hearing about it, but to actually see what lay below my feet this entire time...I'll feel no remorse when this place falls."

Vincent was glad they weren't upset about him wanting to destroy this place. It has stood for many generations. It was an institute that held a lot of history, and at one point in time, it had actually stood for something great. Now, however, there was nothing left of its once proud beginnings.

"We'll have them finish gathering the documents while the Mages set the charges," Gwen explained as they entered into Administration, "The rest can evacuate to a safe distance."

Cassandra and Miranda nodded as they quickly split off from them to give the new orders. Gwen also relayed the orders loudly for everyone to hear. There was almost a unanimous uproar of cheers. It seemed like many of them had also wanted to tear this place down, especially those that had come with them beneath the tunnels.

Of course, there was push back from several teachers and a few of the students, but most of it was quickly and easily silenced once they were presented with the facts. Among the students, most of the commonfolk were in favor, and only a few of the noble born. However, after the explanation, there was a begrudging agreement.

Vincent took one last look around Administration. While his memories were not fond of this place, there was a certain gravitas to everything. He took a moment to let it all sink in, and as he did, he felt something heavy wash away. As if he was shedding free from something that had been holding him back. He felt a strange sense of calm as he reconvened with the three women.

"Come on," Vincent motioned for them to follow, "It's this way."

-----

(Gwen's POV)

The reports and Vincent's own testimony was not enough to prepare her for what she saw. A small cell that could barely be called a closet. Its walls and floors were stained with what she could only surmise was blood and waste from the body. The anger which boiled inside of her was nothing compared to the look upon Vincent's face.

He looked almost wistful. A pensive, tranquil expression that belied the hidden pain underneath. The sheen of his eyes was glazed over as if his mind was elsewhere. His hand shook, but he remained present. He knew where he was, but...she wanted to remind him.

His smile pained her heart, yet warmed it with a thousand fires. He knew that he was safe with her, and she knew that she would do anything to make sure that he always was. She didn't expect them to hold hands like they did, but she wasn't complaining. It was a shame when they parted, for she felt colder...emptier for it.

Still, the void that was left from the absence of his touch was filled with his presence as he led them through the halls of the school. She didn't know where he was leading them, but she knew it had to be important to him. Cassandra and Miranda knew it too.

Everything changed since he came back into her life. She thought that neither of them would ever address her casually, but now...she truly felt like they were friends. There was always a distance between them, but now...now it felt like that distance has been closed, if only a little.

"It's just this way," Vincent motioned towards a large door leading out of the school.

If Gwen's direction sense was correct, they were heading East...towards the Academy Commons. It seemed like Miranda knew where he was taking them before Gwen or Cassandra did. She had a soft, sympathetic look upon her face.

It wasn't until they took the first step outside that Gwen understood. He had talked about this place rather fondly, despite his circumstances. They were immediately hit with the smell of nature. The raw earthy scent of trees, flowers, dirt, and far in the distance...a hint of water.

A winding path led from the school through the commons before splitting into multiple pathways. Benches lined the walkway along with lampposts for night walks. They were currently lit up by the tiny mana crystals within. It gave everything a warm, gentle glow.

It was strange. Entering the Academy Commons was like entering an entirely new world. There was a silence to this place that made the raucous sound of the army seem so distant. Here, in this place, Vincent looked...radiant. Almost ethereal.

He walked the paths as if he's done so a thousand times before. He looked to the flowered bushes with a small smile upon his lips. He held out a hand to them as he passed, gently brushing their petals. His delicate touch seemed to almost be welcomed by the flowers, as if they reached towards him in greeting.

She would have almost believed it a trick of the mind if Miranda didn't speak up.

"...I've never see them do that," she whispered in awe, "I heard this place was enchanted, but...it's alive."

"Yes," Vincent nodded, his words soft, "They were grown with magic and have gained a certain...sentience. They've very sensitive, so please, take care while walking through here."

"We will," Gwen answered, with Cassandra and Miranda agreeing.

Gwen was in absolute awe. This place, Vincent, everything about it was...magical. She knew the obviousness of that statement, but it didn't make it less true. As she chuckled to herself, she was truly mesmerized. Vincent was, and always had been, a blessing in her life.

Watching him now and seeing the plant life respond to him...even Miranda and Cassandra were entranced as he led them further in. They rose a gentle hill to a flowerbed around a great willow tree. Here, Gwen could see a spot that looked to have been perfectly made for a person to sit. It was all grass and near to the tree.

Vincent made his way to that patch of grass, careful to step around the flowers, which were a mix of lilies and daisies. They were all of various colors. He placed a hand upon the willow tree which seemed to almost thrum will happiness.

"It's been a while..." he whispered, taking a deep breath, "I came to say goodbye. I don't know if I'll return. This place...the school. I'm going to destroy it."

There was a rustling of leaves and petals as if they were consoling him. He tilted his head as if listening. His smile grew gentler and warm. His hand upon the bark was tender.

"I brought some friends," he told the plants around him, "Treat them well. They helped me break free. I wanted them to see this...to see you."

The moment he said these words, a gentle breeze blew through the area, catching their attention and drawing it out to the Academy Commons. Gwen's breath was caught in her throat. It was...beautiful. The entire Academy Commons was lit from the moonlight as it reflected off of what Gwen could only call a small lake. It was more of a large pond, but it expanded over a vast majority of the commons, reflecting the moonlight in its waters.

A small island with a gazebo surrounded by willow trees lay out in it, connected by a bridge to the rest of the Academy Commons. The light of the lamps which lit the pathways through the commons gave everything a very peaceful, tranquil vibe. However, this is not what drew her attention, nor that of Cassandra and Miranda.

Before them, the entire commons came to life. The petals of flowers began to glow their various shades. It was a symphony of color. One that left them all in awe.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Vincent spoke softly as he walked up next to her, "This place provided me much needed peace during my time here. It wasn't much, but to me it was everything...until you came along."

Glancing at him, their eyes met and within those wisteria orbs she saw the stars of the world. Reflected in his eyes was a sincerity that would have brought her to her knees, if not for the immense willpower she exuded to remain standing. It was unfair how weak he made her heart.

"This is...very beautiful, Vincent," Gwen agreed, turning her gaze from him so as to fight the blush coming to her face, "Thank you for sharing this with us. Will they be okay?"

"...Yes," Vincent nodded, "They understand. Just like me, the plants in the Academy Commons were simply used. That's why Miranda never noticed them before. They hid themselves, though...they do seem more lively than normal."

"Why did you never mention this?" Gwen wondered, not out of anger, but curiosity.

"Honestly?" Vincent looked away, a little embarrassed, "I had forgotten. I simply remembered that this place had always been a haven. I felt...safe here. Only recently did I remember why."

Gwen understood now. He had come here to apologize, not just to say goodbye. Her imagining them consoling him at not been wrong. They had been forgiving him and telling him that it was okay. The more Gwen learned about Vincent and his life for the past 12 years, the more she realized how little she actually knew.

She prepared herself for more revelations as he recalled things more clearly. It must be a shock to his system, remembering things he had forgotten. She couldn't imagine what that was like.

"I can call off the demolition until-" Gwen's words were cut off as all of them were drawn to the bioluminescence of the plants.

They were glowing brighter and stronger than ever before as they began to thrum and pulse. Even those around them began to glow with an inner, colorful light. Gwen could feel an immense power. A strength unlike any other within the very ground itself.

"This is...!" Gwen had heard stories from her mother, but had only ever believed it a fairytale, "Spiritual Awakening..."

"Do not...worry..." a gentle voice, like a breeze, echoed around them, "We...are okay. We are...free."

The lights separated from the plants and began to rise in the air. They flew about like fairies, and that wasn't far from the truth. Gwen's mother had told her stories from her homeland. Stories about plants that had become awakened with an inner soul. This soul could manifest into a sentient being akin to a spirit. Thus, it was called a Spiritual Awakening.

It wasn't just plants that this could happen to, but bodies of water, places of earth, and even roiling magma and fire. The Elven People called them the "Spirits of Nature". She had always thought it was a fairytale, but now, before her eyes, she saw one...no, several being birthed.

Even the large pond began to glow and coalesce into a singular, brilliant ball of light hovering about it.

"We...waited," the voices echoed, both feminine and masculine, yet all of them held a playful glee, "Knew...our friend...would return."

Vincent watched the lights flit about before forming into several humanoid shapes surrounded by halos of light. They flew closer, gravitating around Vincent. He held his hands out to them, which they took happily within their tiny hands. They giggled and laughed, and Vincent's eyes were filled with a strange wonder. As if he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"We...live," they chimed in giddiness, "Be not sad. We...are free! Our friend, please. Live. We can now...protect!"

Suddenly, Vincent was shrouded by a bright light, forcing Gwen to shut her eyes or be blinded. She could feel the air around her move and feel the presence of the spirits nearby.

"You...helped him. We...help you!" their words were bright and whimsical, "Thank you! We...live on! But first...we slumber."

Gwen felt a rush as an influx of mana coursed through her. She felt a warmth spread throughout her entire body and the blinding light began to disappear. As she slowly opened her eyes, the spirits were gone, and she saw Vincent looking dizzy and a little unsettled. She acted before his legs gave out, catching him as he was about to fall.

"Careful," she warned, a warmth in her tone, "I got you."

"...Gwen?" he fell into her chest, looking up at her with misty eyes, "Yeah...thank you."

He relaxed against her, closing his eyes. She had to control her breathing, for he was too precious, and she would have not been able to remain calm otherwise. Opening his eyes, he looked away bashfully.

"I apologize, I've shown you a disgraceful side of myself..." he tried to push himself away, but Gwen felt the urge to hold him there, "G-Gwen?"

A light blush entered his face as he grew a little flustered.

"Nonsense," Gwen told him gently, "Nothing disgraceful about it. I don't mind."

"I-Is that so..." Vincent relaxed, letting his body rest against her, "Then, if I may, I'll take you up on that."

"Anytime, Vincent," she replied soothingly, "You know, I'm a bit relieved."

"Oh?" Vincent muttered, curious as he tilted his head, "About what?"

"Well..." Gwen looked around the Academy Commons, still feeling the traces left behind by the spirits, "I always thought you were alone. Though they couldn't do anything for you at the time, they were still here. Still watching over you. You weren't alone."

Vincent smiled, hiding his face shyly into her shoulder.

"Yeah..." he mumbled in embarrassment, "I guess I wasn't, and now...do you feel it?"

Gwen could feel it. Inside of them, all of them, was a spirit nestling inside. Though they had just awakened, they had gone into a deep slumber. Currently fueling and feeding off of the mana inside of them. They were bonding.

By the time they woke from this slumber, they would be reborn anew once more. Completely changed by the mana flowing inside each one of them, and in turn, they would also be changed. She looked towards Miranda and Cassandra who could feel it as well. They clutched a hand to their chest, knowing that a spirit nestled inside.

"I guess this place was good for something," Gwen stated a little cynically, taking a deep breath as her tone grew more tender, "Are you okay? You were reunited with something quite precious."

"...Yeah," Vincent nodded, turning his head to look out at the Academy Commons, "I'm more than okay. I never thought they'd come alive. You're right. This place did have some good in it, but now..."

"Yeah," Gwen nodded in agreement, understanding what he wanted to say.

Glancing towards Cassandra and Miranda, they also understood, though there was a bit of mischief in their eyes. It was then that Gwen realized she was still holding Vincent. Their looks were coy and teasing. She was glad that Vincent was distracted by the commons to not notice the blush enter her face as she glared at the two women, mouthing the words "shut up" to them.

They simply giggled and chuckled silently, attempting to hide their blatant grins.

"Thank you for showing this place to us, Vincent," Cassandra composed herself, "We'll leave you two alone now. We have to inform them to detonate the charges. Rest. You may not get the chance for a while."

With that, the two of them were left alone as Cassandra and Miranda made their way back towards the school. It took a moment before the two of them realized just what kind of situation they were in. Feeling like she had held him for too long already, she went to move away.

"I'm sorry, it's probably uncomfor-" Gwen began to apologize, but then felt him grip her tighter.

He held onto her armor, looking away shyly, and for a moment, he didn't say anything.

"If it's all the same to you..." he glanced up at her hesitantly, "I'd like to stay like this for a while...besides, you did say anytime...right?"

He smiled awkwardly, attempting to tease her. The way her heart nearly burst from her chest was almost fatal. There was no way she could refuse him now. Not that she wanted to.

"...Of course," she smiled her best, pulling him into a warm embrace, "We can stay here for as long as you wish."

He was silent, hanging onto her as they enjoyed the view together. It wasn't long before they were given quite the show. The rumbling of explosions.

Vincent was glued to the event, his eyes filling with the colors of each magical blast. Blues, purples, yellows, oranges. So many colors as, one by one, the support structures of the school were destroyed. It was like their own personal fireworks show.

Towers collapsed. Walls crumbled. Vincent held to Gwen, his gaze completely glued to the destruction before them. She was not interested in such things, as her attention was on him.

He looked mesmerized. Lost in thought. He looked so...calm? No. Upon closer inspection, she could see it. He was trying to hide it, but there was nothing that escaped her noticed when it came to him. He was shaking.

She couldn't imagine what was going through his head right now, but she knew one thing. His entire life was spent as a slave. The most traumatic of which had happened right here in this school, and right now...it was finally being destroyed. There was no way he wasn't feeling something.

A tenderness entered her heart, and her hand rose without thought to the back of his head. He flinched, and she paused for a moment, but he did not move away. Almost as if subconsciously, he moved back into her hand, his eyes still locked onto the school. She smiled, beginning to comfortingly caress the back of his head.

The tension in his body melted away and a small smile crept across his lips as his trembling began to fade. If not for the severity of the situation, this would have possibly been...romantic. The thought, of course, was quickly pushed away. This wasn't the time to be thinking about such things.

Gwen wasn't about to take advantage of this moment. Vincent needed support, and she would give it. From this moment on, she would march with every intent of ending this war quickly. The sooner this was over, the sooner she could focus all of her attention on him. Well...most of her attention. The Empire still needed to be ruled.

"...Thank you," Vincent's words were barely audible, yet the warmth and sincerity within them was intense.

"You're welcome," she replied gently, smiling kindly.

"No, truly," Vincent insisted, "Thank you."

His words were so genuine as he rested against her, and if it was even possible, it felt like he simply...melted. There was absolutely no tension in his body that she could sense. It was as if...he truly felt safe with her. This thought, coupled with his words was enough to make her feel embarrassed in the best of ways.

"Well, you deserve it, Vincent," Gwen answered a little sheepishly as she cleared her throat, "So, once again...you're welcome."

His smile deepened, and together they fell into a blissful silence. In the distance, the last of the Royal Magic Academy crumbled into dust. The finale was complete.

------

Hey there! This is an extra chapter I was able to finish. Was hoping to get a few more done before the new year, but unfortunately I've been a bit busy. I am hoping to finish this series next month, and as such, I'll be focusing on this story. I apologize to anyone who has been reading Fae King's Desperation and Regressor's Lover, as they will be on the back burner for now.

However, I do plan on trying to release a chapter for Fae King's Desperation in that time. Of course, as plans usually go, it may not happen as intended. Of course, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I hope you have a great New Years! Thank you as always for reading. <3 ^_^ Hope the new year is filled with amazing things for all of you.

0