Chapter 44: Window into the Soul
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 44:

Window into the Soul

(Gwen's POV)

She was a little wary when the woman known as Julia approached her, but Gwen quickly realized that she was in need of help. The familiar glowing mark upon her chest made Gwen's heart tense, clenching itself. She quickly ordered her Knights to check everyone who appeared with Julia for injuries. The results were...not great.

Unlike Vincent, most of them were normal people. Their wounds did not heal so easily. Many hand scars upon their backs, waists, arms, legs...anywhere that could be covered. She had to do her best to control her anger, or she would have burned the Saville Manor to the ground. It should be burned, but she had made a promise to Vincent.

She waited with her Knights, growing a little impatient with worry, but she had to believe in him. Her mother was right. He was extremely capable. Not long after Julia had arrived, all those with a slave mark suddenly had them shatter in a bright flash of light. It was said that when the owner of a Master Mark is killed...it would take the life of each slave attached to it.

However, this did not happen. Instead, each Slave Seal was released in simultaneously. They were free. That was because the whole thing was a myth. It was told to Slaves so that they wouldn't seek outside help to kill the owner of the Master Mark, for fear of dying themselves.

A Slave couldn't harm the one holding a Control or Master Mark. Doing so caused intense, debilitating pain, and often bound them. So, a Slave couldn't harm the holder, but someone else? They had to find a way to prevent that, and so...that myth was spread.

Moments later, as everyone celebrated their freedom with tears, Vincent walked out of the manor with that expressionless face of his...only, to Gwen, she could see in his eyes that he wasn't as calm as he appeared. Before she could move towards him, the servants and ex-slaves rushed him.

"Vincent!" Julia exclaimed, grabbing his hands gratefully, "We're really free?"

"...Yes," he responded gently, "You are. The Saville Family holds no bonds over any of you anymore. I suggest you return to your families, if you're able, or...well, perhaps you'll find a new life in the world Gwen will create."

He said her name, and suddenly his gaze fell upon her with a tender smile. Now, all eyes turned to her, causing her to grow quite flustered. She hadn't anticipated this result. Rubbing the back of her neck, she simply shrugged.

"I mean, I do plan on giving compensation, once this war is over," she explained a little sheepishly, "Give people something to get back on their feet, after everything was taken from them."

She explained to them that, since it was Vincent's wish, and that they had been affected by the cruelties of the Noble Faction, they would receive help, but after that it would be on them to get back on their feet. All they had to do was give their names to one of her Knights, and they'd see that compensation found them. Once they all dispersed to do that, she was finally allowed a moment with Vincent.

"...Is it over?" she asked delicately.

"Yeah, at least...partially," he gave a small smile, but couldn't meet her eye, "The Duchess is dead, but...the Gallery. Will you...join me? I don't think I can do it myself."

Gwen's heart fluttered to life as she was quick to agree. She may not like Vanessa, but the way that Vincent talked about her paintings, and seeing the drawing Vincent showed her, did make her curious. This also was something quite important to Vincent...so, of course she wanted to share in it.

He was relieved and happy that she agreed, promptly beginning to show her the way. They entered the manor, and Gwen was met with its splendor. She saw the shattered, frozen body in the foyer, though she said nothing. If Vincent had killed them, then they definitely deserved it. She didn't care about the details.

Through a few corridors and twists and turns later, Vincent had led her to two grand double doors. There was a plaque outside, hung on the wall next to the doors: Vanessa's Gallery – Private Collection. DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION.

"She was always concerned that her paintings would be ruined," Vincent explained about the sign, "It wasn't that she didn't want anyone looking. She was very meticulous. Now...I wonder..."

Vincent approached the black, placing a hand upon it. There was a sudden click that sounded before the plaque turned, revealing a delicate looking golden key underneath.

"Heh, it's still here..." Vincent muttered to himself, taking the key and returning the plaque to its original position, "Alright...I got this."

"Vincent..." Gwen placed a hand upon his shoulder in solidarity, "I said it before, but...you don't owe her anything. You know that, right?"

"Yes, Gwen," Vincent chuckled, an adorable smile upon his lips, "And as I said before, I know."

She squeezed his shoulder affectionately.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to nag," she gave him a sympathetic smile, "You know I just worry. Alright, let's do this then."

"Yeah, let's do this," Vincent nodded, moving towards the door and placing the key within the keyhole, though paused for a moment, "You know...I don't think you nag, Gwen. I know you just care about me...for me. Thank you. Now...Welcome to the Gallery."

He turned the key and opened the doors to reveal a large, two-story room with balconies above. Gwen's breath was, quite honestly, taken away. It was like walking into a museum. Everything hung on walls, or placed on pedestals. Yet, there was a certain studio feel to it all.

Perhaps, it was because there was a chair with an easel before it, and a half-finished painting upon it. The natural lighting in this room was stunning, and the paintings themselves which hung upon the walls...for a brief moment, Gwen forgot that she wasn't supposed to like Vanessa, for her paintings captured the beauty of things in such a way that it simply stunned her.

"She...painted all of this?" Gwen inquired as she stepped into the gallery with Vincent, "There's...so many."

Indeed, there were possibly...hundreds of paintings. Some small, some as large as an entire wall. Gwen noticed, however, that the majority of them had a familiar subject within. Vincent.

He was in almost every single one of them, portrayed in such a way that Gwen really felt the deep love that Vanessa had for him. It was a little bit...surreal. The feelings captured and conveyed...they were the exact same that Gwen felt herself. It was a little intimidating.

"Yes," Vincent nodded, slowly walking among the paintings, "There's seven years worth of paintings, more if you include those before me. She's painted all her life."

Gwen could feel the passion in the art, but there was something off. Something that changed as she looked among all the various pieces. There was a period of time, between some of the paintings, to the time that she began to paint Vincent. Those paintings seemed to lack any sort of...passion. It was as if she was just going through the motions, rather than actually painting.

It wasn't until her first painting of Vincent, him sitting by a very familiar tree. The same one that Gwen had stood with him at the Academy. He looked much younger than he did now, but the way in which the brush strokes captured the tranquility of his face...it held a passion that was not seen in several paintings before it.

Each painting was labeled and dated, so it was easy to tell about when her passion seemed to wane, and what Gwen discovered was...chilling. Five years passed before her passion returned. Vincent was 13 when Vanessa first saw him at the tree. Gwen last saw Vincent when he was 8.

She lost her passion for painting around the same time Vincent disappeared. The Noble Faction had planned this from the moment Vincent was taken. That meant Vanessa's parents had prepared her for that day for five years.

"...Fucking hell," Gwen completely reevaluated everything, "She really was just a pawn..."

"Now you understand why I couldn't do this myself," Vincent's words were difficult, and Gwen realized that he was no longer by her side, but standing before the half-finished painting on the easel, "Everything she did...it was forced upon her. She never wanted any of this."

Gwen made her way over to Vincent, and her heart dropped. The unfinished painting was not of a landscape, nor of Vincent, but of a self-portrait. The only self-portrait in the entire gallery, and it was...heart wrenching.

Every single painting in this gallery was a tribute to the beauty of the subject, and in a way, this self-portrait was no different. Vanessa appeared quite beautiful, but there was a profound sadness deep within, hidden behind the smile upon her lips. As if at any moment, the painting itself would begin to cry.

She was half-clothed, hugging herself with a somber smile. Her pose was desperate, as if fighting against invisible restraints. Her hair was wild, untamed and evoked the feeling of madness. The background was half-finished dark colors that brought about a sense of feeling lost.

What brought the entire thing together, and what Vincent's attention, and Gwen's went to...were the words that covered it all: This is not me. I'm sorry.

The intent was clear. She drew herself as she was, but the moment she saw it...she knew that it wasn't right. She had never seen herself as the person in the painting...until the end. Gwen had never thought that they would use their own child...not like this. In that moment, Gwen completely rethought everything she felt about Vanessa.

Vincent was right. She had been a victim just like he was. A tool used to break him, but in turn...was broken as well. What was the fucking point? Was the Noble Faction just that spiteful? Just cruel for no other reason than they enjoyed toying with peoples lives?

"Vincent...this painting, what should we do with it?" Gwen inquired, for it was not her decision.

He was silent for a moment, and that's when she realized...the slight trembling of his shoulders, the silence in which he found himself. He was crying, yet trying his best to remain strong. Despite all the pain that Vanessa had caused, it was not of her own free will. She was never in her right mind, and Vincent...he knew that better than anyone.

"Oh, Vincent..." Gwen embraced him, pulling him into her arms.

He didn't resist, he simply trembled there, staring blankly at the painting. This proved something to Gwen. The Noble Faction would use anyone. She was completely wrong about them. They were more vile than she had ever believed.

"I simply served her," Vincent stated, his voice devoid of any emotion except disbelief, "Everything she put me through, I thought it was her. I mean, it was, but it wasn't. I hated her at first, before I grew to care about her as I was taught. It seems a part of me always knew."

Gwen consoled him as best as she could, but it was obvious that no words she said right now would help, so she let him get it all out.

"I felt nothing, for I simply served," he continued, shaking his head, "No hate. No anger. No love. A simple duty. Yet, underneath...I knew. I see it now in my memories. The look in her eyes. There were times they were different. More...clear. I always thought she was just unhinged, but..."

He shook his head again, the silent tears coming to an end as he wiped them away. Taking a deep breath, he hugged Gwen's arms to him, holding them close.

"She says that this isn't her," Vincent composed himself, still holding tight to Gwen's arms, "So, it won't be."

Breaking gently free from Gwen's embrace, he grabbed the portrait and began walking through the gallery. Gwen followed closely, unable to fully comprehend what he was feeling. All she knew is that if she was conflicted, then it had to be at least ten times worse for him.

At the back of the gallery was a double-glass door which led outside to a beautiful deck made of brick, surrounded by a half-wall of stone. Placing the painting against the half-wall, Vincent stared upon it for a moment.

"I can't forget," Vincent's words sounded as if he was trying to convince himself, "However, I also can't deny...that the Vanessa I knew, was not the Vanessa you were. Fuck."

Vincent then raised his hand as if preparing to snap his fingers. A red mana circle appeared before it, but Vincent paused, and the circle turned a cool blue.

"You always preferred my Ice Magic..." Vincent muttered solemnly, snapping his fingers.

A tiny burst of snowflakes appeared from the mana circle. Each tiny snowflake floated down, touching upon the painting. Where one landed, the area around it became encased in ice, until finally...it was all beautifully preserved. Then, with a flourish of his hand, the painting lifted into the air. Gwen watched in silent, placing a hand upon his shoulder to let her know that he wasn't alone.

He smiled in appreciation before, with a decorum befitting the highest respect, he waved his hand towards the painting, as if waving goodbye. Like a flurry of snow, it burst apart and scattered upon the wind. It carried itself off and into the sky. That's when Gwen saw it...the cherry trees.

From where she stood, she had a good view of Vincent's side profile against the pastel colors of the trees...and Vanessa was right. They really did suit him, much like Wisteria did. Before she could think on it more, Vincent turned and fell into her, his head rested upon her shoulder.

"I don't think I can handle anymore emotions today..." Vincent chuckled, shaking his head, "Honestly, they're overrated. How dare you make me feel them."

"Hey, now...Rude," Gwen replied back with a bit of playfulness, "Not all emotions are bad."

She knew he was joking, for she heard it in his words. He was simply...tired.

"Heh. Some, perhaps," he said with a half-smile, "Others, I could honestly do without."

"Fair," Gwen wrapped an arm around him, holding the back of his head, "Should we get out of here?"

"Yeah, but first..." Vincent took a breath, calming himself, "Can we leave the Knights here? Someone needs to protect the Gallery. I don't give a shit about the rest of the manor."

"Of course," Gwen answered him without hesitation, "No one will touch the Gallery."

And so, the two left, leaving the Knights behind to restore some order to the City of Westgate and protect the Gallery. Gwen now knew why it was important to Vincent. It was a window into what Vanessa could have been, had her parents not destroyed her mind and twisted it to fit their needs, and perhaps...there was one or two paintings of Vincent that Gwen might keep.

-----

(Gwen's POV, Cont.)

Vincent was rather quiet as they rode from Westgate, though before they left, they made a quick stop to check up on Gareth. With directions from the Knights, they were able to find their way easily. His mother was doing better, if a little weak. She thanked them for the food, and asked if the city was safe again.

Gwen assured her that her Knights would keep them save, and the threat of the Saville Family was no more. She said a silent prayer before bidding both Vincent and Gwen goodbye. Gareth thanked Vincent profusely, which did put a smile on his face.

Leaving Westgate, it was only Vincent and Gwen. Some might consider that to be rather dangerous, so far south and in enemy territory, but...this was all but won. Any forces who still existed to put up a fight were in the East. Cassandra and Miranda would deal with them, and being supported by the Briar Family's supply line, it was a near guarantee that they'd probably hear of their success by the time they returned to camp.

So, Gwen wasn't too worried about anything happening on the road, and if it did...the two of them were more than capable of handling it. She'd also be lying if she said that she didn't appreciate this time alone with him. They didn't get a lot of that lately, and so, despite the heavy cloud that hung over them, she cherished this time together...and it seemed he did too.

"Hey, Gwen?" Vincent was the first to break the silence upon the second day out from Westgate.

"Yeah?" she inquired, giving him her full attention.

"I know I say it a lot, but..." Vincent turned to her with a kind smile, "Thank you. I don't know if I could have done any of this without you. No, in fact...I know I wouldn't have been able to."

"Don't undercut yourself," Gwen told him, urging her horse closer to his before she put her hand upon his shoulder comfortingly, "However, I know what you mean, and you're welcome. I would have never stopped trying, and I still won't. I never will. You're important to me, Vincent."

A slight blush entered his face as his smile softened, glancing at the hand upon his shoulder rather fondly.

"You're quite important to me too, Gwen," he looked away sheepishly, yet didn't move away, "That's why...I'm grateful for all the time we spend together, and I hope...I hope when this is all over, we're able to spend even more time together."

"Oh, you can count on that," Gwen chuckled, patting his shoulder, "I want you by my side, so if I can help it...you'll never be far from me."

His smile deepened heavily, as did his blush. "Cute.~" Gwen felt her heart ready to burst.

"I like the sound of that," he stated, casting a furtive glance her way before urging his horse ahead.

"H-Hey!" Gwen's eyes widened in surprise, and before she knew it, she was chasing after him, laughing the entire time.

She was determined to catch up to him, and he kept casting glances back with a playfully taunting expression. In that moment, Gwen realized something. This was just like when they were kids, except they were no on horseback, and she was chasing him. This only served to increase her determination to catch up to him, urging her horse faster.

As she finally caught up to him, she was overwhelmed and pleased to see that he was smiling again. His laughter as she grabbed the reins of his horse filled her ears and her heart.

"Seems like you caught me, as you always do," Vincent composed himself after a moment, settling into a more somber mood, but still...he held a smile upon his face, "Moments like theses...that's what I hope for. I've been thinking a lot, you know...I blame you for it."

"Hey!" Gwen feigned being hurt by his words, and he simply rolled his eyes.

"You know what I mean," he chuckled, shaking his head, "I never thought beyond my duty. I never had the luxury. Now...I'm thinking in ways I've never thought possible. It's a little overwhelming, but...I finally feel alive."

Gwen smiled warmly, not saying a thing. She was just happy to hear his words.

"Of course, life is annoying," Vincent mocked, "Honestly, I hate it for how complex things are, but I also love it because...well, because I can have moments like this with you."

His words caused her heart to flutter. To know he loved spending time with her so much...it was a blessing.

"Honestly, I feel the same, Vincent," Gwen agreed quietly, "While I'd give anything to take back everything that's happened to us...I'm grateful that we're here now. To spend time with you after so long...it feels like I can finally breath."

"...That makes me happy to hear," Vincent tried to hide his face, though Gwen caught a glimpse of a slight blush, "However, we'll only really be able to breath once we finish this."

"Yeah," Gwen agreed, her smile fading, if only briefly, "We're close, Vincent. We're almost there."

He nodded, and the two continued to ride off through the Central Plains, back towards camp. Their bond was stronger than ever, and the only obstacle now...was The Emperor himself.

-----

0