Chapter 20 – We have news!
161 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ron climbed back into the bedroom holding a kitchen knife that was barely blunt.

"What do you plan to do with it, Ron?"

Fred asked nervously, glancing at George, who looked just as frightened.

"I'm apparently buttering some bread, because this isn't going to cut anything. Mom wouldn't let me pick up a knife with a sharp edge."

Ron said, running his finger over the blade of the knife.

"We could just find a cat and have it scratch you."

Fred suggested.

"Or maybe we can push you into some bushes. You won't even feel the cuts, trust me."

George said, getting up from the bed, excited to push Ron into a bush.

Then, with a quick, controlled movement, Ron made a small, shallow cut on his hand. The scratch was minimal and didn't cause any serious injury, but it was enough to test the potion's effectiveness.

The twin brothers looked scared by their younger brother's nonchalance. Fred and George gulped.

The small cut began to form small drops of blood, but not enough for them to ooze.

Ron took one of the Light Healing potions and drank it down.

They began to watch Ron's hand, paying attention to the wound, which quickly began to magically heal.

"Wow, it worked!"

The two said excitedly while Ron just raised an eyebrow, satisfied with the result.

"Right. Now you need to test it."

Ron said, pointing at the potion in each of their hands.

At the same time, the two of them took the cap off the potions and drank without thinking.

Fred, who looked very excited before, began to yawn, letting his eyes droop, as if he didn't have much strength to keep them open. He appeared to be high.

While George, who was already a little excited, started to shake his legs in happiness. He looked like he'd eaten a bag of sugar and could run around without feeling the slightest bit of exhaustion.

"Maybe I need to lower the energy candy proportion from the potion you drank."

Ron said, looking at George.

"Why? I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine."

George began talking animatedly and repeatedly.

"Or I can just put a warning, too."

Ron thought better of it.

Now he was sure that his potions were ready to be offered in the shop.

-----

[Monday - Diagon Alley]

Ron was arranging the potions on the table next to George, while Fred was telling people the news about the potions in the tent.

"Attention, attention! New arrivals at the Weasleys' shop! Now, in addition to the best magical repairs, we are also selling magical potions! The Light Healing Potion, Sleep Well Potion and Monster Potion! Come check it out!"

Fred was screaming through the streets like an experienced tradesman.

"HEY YOU!"

Fred shouted, pointing to a little old man.

"Hm?"

The little man replied, looking around.

"YES, YOU! Need a potion to help with your sleep? We have the exact solution to your problem! What do you think about taking a look?"

Fred said, smiling. His kindness was convincing to anyone who would listen.

The passing witches and wizards looked curiously at Fred jumping from side to side excitedly. Some approached the tent to learn more about the potions.

"And how do I know these potions really work and that you aren't selling diluted potions to us?"

A witch approached with her arms crossed. She seemed to doubt the boys' capabilities.

"Don't worry, ma'am. We guarantee that all our potions are original, but if you are unsure about your purchase… Today is the first time we'll be selling potions, and we will be giving away a small free sample cup to anyone interested in purchasing."

Fred announced to whoever was passing by.

Ron raised his head in fright when he heard Fred's speech.

"We will not!"

Ron whispered to Fred in an indignant tone.

"Yes, we are. Trust me!"

Fred said, turning his attention to the passing customers.

Word of the potions in the Weasley tent quickly spread through Diagon Alley, and soon a small queue began to form in front of the tent. Customers were curious to try the new potions the brothers had created.

"Hmm, what exquisite flavor! Quite different from the potions I've tasted before!"

One wizard said, tasting a small dose of Sleep Well Potion in a mini cup that Ron found without caring where it came from.

The dose that the wizard had tasted was minimal, so he would slightly feel the effects of the potion and still be able to taste it, as if he were tasting a liquor candy. (Not enough to get you drunk, but enough to feel the burning in your throat).

"Actually, it's a lot nicer than I expected! Sleeping potions generally taste bitter!"

Another wizard said to the taste taster as he tried the same potion.

Ron had slightly modified the potions, making them more palatable and visually appealing. Potions that once tasted bitter like medicine now tasted like smooth vanilla.

Fred was thrilled with the positive customer reactions. He knew that changing the flavor of the potions had been a smart idea on Ron's part, and it was attracting even more people to the shop.

Ron was very pleased with the job he had done. Before, he was a little afraid that the taste might turn off customers, as they were used to the bitter and sour taste of potions, but this seemed to get more people's attention.

"I want a Potion of Light Healing, please! I think the children are finally going to drink a potion without complaining."

A wizard said smiling, handing Ron a bag of coins.

George offered to deliver a sealed Potion of Light Healing to the wizard, who thanked him and left.

"I think I'll take this one to Mum, what do you think?"

A young witch with reddish hair said to another young witch.

"Yeah, it might solve her insomnia."

The other young witch replied.

"I hope it's enough for her to sleep and let me read my books until the early hours."

The young witch in red said excitedly.

"I'll have this one, please!"

She said, pointing to the free sample bottle and looking at Ron.

Ron smiled briefly and handed her a sealed vial of Sleep Tight potion.

The publicity of the potions was a success, and the Weasley tent soon became one of the most visited points by curious people in Diagon Alley that day.

At the end of the day, with the potion boxes empty, Ron wore a look of satisfaction mixed with pride. If the first day had been this good, he could hardly think about what the other days would be like.

This made Ron start to reflect on his negotiation with the gnome.

It was no longer worth it to continue working with the Repair service, which meant that he would no longer be able to steal some original parts from objects.

Ron knew he couldn't just walk away from this situation without consequences, but he had slightly hoped that the gnome would be satisfied with the amount of money he had managed to scrape together.

The little being who before was shabby and slovenly, now walked with clean clothes and beautiful accessories through the common streets, showing confidence. Something that seemed impossible for the gnome in the past.

All the robberies that Ron did brought good money for both of them, improving the gnome's life. The least he could have done was end the partnership, as Ron had improved the gnome's life practically single-handedly. If not for Ron, the gnome would probably still be lurking in the shadows of Knockturn Alley.

Ron's biggest fear with the conversation he would have with the gnome was that the gnome would rebel and hand Ron over to the Knockturn Alley merchant. It could literally end his life, as he knew the wizard wouldn't leave him alone until he was dead or in jail.

In the midst of these thoughts, something more cruel came to Ron's mind. The easiest way out would be to kill the gnome. He was a nobody, so there wouldn't be a family looking for the gnome's body, or people who cared enough to miss him.

Ron could easily dispose of the body with some knowledge of the past life and that way, he would be out of trouble, never being found out by the wizard he stole from.

A few weeks ago, Ron wouldn't have thought twice about choosing this option, as it was the one that benefited him the most. But after spending closer moments with the Weasley family, Ron began to reflect on whether he should at least give the gnome a chance, and hear what he has to say about the proposed termination of partnership.

So, Ron planned that he would look for the gnome to have a talk tomorrow.

-----

[ Toru's notes ]

I've made a Patre on to released advanced chapters! You can support me there if you want, thank you!

Read 5+ advanced chapters on Patre on! (2 Daily chapters released there!)

Patre on.com/toToru

6