Chapter 06 – Predator
66 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The python tore at her, intent on devouring her entirely. Instead of retreating, Shai coiled her body as tightly as possible and propelled herself forward, hurtling into the enormous python's mouth.

The clueless black-scaled python had no inkling of what was transpiring, but before it could revel in its supposed victory, splitting agony seared through its innards. The small white snake wreaked havoc inside its mouth, unleashing a barrage of Arcane Shots.

But the onslaught did not end there. Shai ravaged the upper lining of the python's mouth, piercing through from the inside. The little white snake showed no signs of relenting, continuing to rampage to her heart's content. Meanwhile, the python thrashed about outside, slamming its head against the ground as if that was going to hurt her.

The outer scales of the black-scaled python's body were nearly as resilient as raw metal, making it extremely difficult for Shai to inflict any damage. That was precisely why she decided to damage it from within. The oblivious snake had no inkling that death could come in such a manner.

Snakes truly were truly dim-witted, and this one, in particular, seemed even more so. As Shai instigated chaos within the colossal maw of the python, it repeatedly thrashed its head against the earth. It was as if the python had developed a strange yearning for its demise.

Keep going, ugly. You're doing great. At this rate, one of us will surely meet our end, Shai ridiculed, wishing she could make the serpent understand her sentiment.

However, Shai was far from out of danger. The python managed to sink its fangs into her on several occasions, but thankfully, she came out almost unscathed with the thin layer of primal energy empowering her body. It was minimal protection, but it made her sturdier to inflict grievous wounds in short contact. More powerful too.

Just a little more... And she would finally be done with this ordeal.

The python continued to struggle for another minute while Shai meticulously tore it apart from the inside out until she finally managed to nibble into its brain. Although it was questionable whether the python even possessed a functioning brain, given its remarkably foolish actions.

[You have slain a Black-scaled Python Lvl 17.]

[You have achieved a small breakthrough. Your path has grown to Favoured Hatchling Lvl 4. +1 to all Primary Attributes, +1 Unallocated Point.]

[You have achieved a small breakthrough. Your path has grown to Favoured Hatchling Lvl 5. +1 to all Primary Attributes, +1 Unallocated Point.]

Shai vigorously shook her head, emerging into the light, partly to rid herself of the filth that clung to her body, and partly because the disorienting experience left her feeling dizzy after all the twists and turns she had endured within the python's cavity. Then came the surge of power, washing over her as much of her distress was relieved.

The way she coated her body with the primal energy gave her ideas on how to do it better. A thought for later... because she couldn't believe this dumb snake was Level 17...

I mean, didn't its Mind attribute increase by levelling up that much?

Apparently not. The feat depleted almost all her energy reserves. She didn't anticipate it would be such a taxing endeavour, despite the python's foolishness and injuries, but considering it was a Level 17 creature she could understand why.

Killing it would have been impossible if it weren't wounded so badly. Well, if Shai knew it was 14 levels higher than her she would have gone after robbing, never looking back. Even if it didn't have the blessing of that Kismet fellow, which gave Shai attribute points of more than 5 levels, its power should have dwarfed her own.

But in the end, everything worked out. Her ignorance hadn't caused her demise. The rewards would undoubtedly make it worthwhile, though she needed to be more careful from now on. Lvl 17, damn, that was one flabass snake

Collecting herself, Shai approached the lifeless reptile and utilised her Inventory to store it away. She didn't know the space inside would be enough to store such a massive creature, but her worry was unfounded as the huge corpse disappeared from her sight. Although it took a few extra seconds.

Should I eat the flesh of a kin? she mused at the ultimate conundrum of her situation. Hey Grandpa, will that make me a cannibal?

The hint of curiosity slowly turned into outright refusal. Nope, that dimwitted python is no kin of mine. Besides, I ain't eating that ugly thing. Storing it, just in case...

Her treacherous appetite could not be trusted.

Shai gathered the remaining peaches and mushrooms from the uprooted tree, when another notification appeared on her peripheral vision.

[You have played a role in slaying Giant Black Beetle Lvl 14.]

Played a role? Shai chuckled, amused by the phrasing. Sadly, there's no more level-up.

She proceeded to loot the gigantic beetle's corpse. But it seemed System Grandpa wasn't done with her yet, as a soul-wrenching force plunged onto her, eliciting an indignant hiss.

[New achievement! You have defeated a creature 10 levels higher than you, demonstrating the slumbering predator in you.

You have unlocked the inherent mark, Predator.]

[Mark: Predator

A natural-born Predator stalks its prey for hours, even days, patiently waiting for the opportune moment to strike. By exhibiting your predatory nature, you have unlocked an inherited predatory aura that can intimidate lesser-ranked creatures and enhance your ability to conceal yourself.

+5 All Attributes]

A deep surge of power washed over Shai instantly, as a deep sense of invincibility possessed her, causing her to hiss in anticipation. In a matter of seconds, the invincibility vanished, though Shai felt like she was twice as powerful.

She carefully examined her body, expecting to discover where the mark had appeared. However, she found no unique patterns that hadn't been there before. She found nothing to note.

​[Your inherited mark "Predator" is influencing the skill Beastial Instinct (E)...]

[Beastial Instinct is evolving...]

[Congratulations! Beastial Instinct (E) has evolved into Predatory Instinct (D). Some of the mastery of the prior skill is lost in the evolution.]

[Predatory Instinct (D):

Mastery: 3%

You possess the aura of a predator. The evolved skill enhances the ability to detect the aura of your prey, giving you a better idea of when to attack and when to retreat.]

Sweet, Shai hissed with excitement. So the halo of colour I was seeing around all the creatures is aura? And this skill will help me see aura better?

She didn't think she was wrong, although she would've liked a more combat-oriented skill. Well, perhaps I won't just jump at danger so easily with [Predatory Instinct (D)]

Having completed her business in the area, Shai lingered, gazing towards the towering ridge ahead. It stood a couple of kilometres high. Perhaps there is a better hiding place in the high rugged terrain.

But first, I need to take a bath, the filth is killing me.

Luckily for her, she found a stream before sunset. Of all the mundane activities, bathing was one of her favourites. Shai relished the opportunity to bathe to her heart's content, taking advantage of the free-flowing water. However, she couldn't deny that she didn't feel as refreshed after bathing as she had initially assumed.

She much preferred cold baths, however, as a reptile, Shai's blood ran cold. Still, the temperature of the water didn't bother her much, though not remarkably fresh, and seemed to have something off about it. Her inner predator stirred at the abnormality.

Shai couldn't quite pinpoint what was wrong, but there was an undeniable sense of oddity to it. Regardless, she had no intention of investigating further. All she desired at that moment was...

Her thoughts trailed off as a question formed in her mind. What exactly did she want? It was a question she had no answer to, leaving her momentarily puzzled and contemplative. Her current goal was to survive, even as a cute little snake. But what's after?

Power? she mused, floating in gentle waves as she inched closer to the bank. Power was the undeniable truth of the world, even if there was no magic in the world. Without power, her survival was in turmoil.

And magic is cool. Shai believed she could truly accomplish something great if she put her mind to it. Dad always believed in me, even though he was never there for me

Could she fill the inner void with magic? The void left behind by her parent's separation, her father's disappearance, and finally her death...

Shaking her head, the little white snake emerged from the water. Dwelling on those thoughts would only breed dismay and melancholy within her. She needed to stay focused on her survival.

It was pretty straightforward as far as she was concerned. Kill beasts to gain levels. The skills come in handy. Now that she had resources to restore how primal energy quickly, Shai planned on empowering herself so much that she could kill a creature like the Black-scaled Python in a fair fight.

Shai dug another hole in the rugged terrain--a bigger one which let her move around comfortably--and started to work on growing strong wholeheartedly.

6