Werewolves hunting
86 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aaron got up the next morning with a creak and a groan as he raised himself up off the steps he had slept away the night on. His species was arguably nocturnal. Thankfully however last night was not a full moon and Aaron was thus allowed rest by his more feral side. He needed it.

As when he woke Lyn was sitting right next to him. She appeared to have woken up some time ago as despite the still shabby appearance her hair was organised and her eyes were focussed. “Morning sleepyhead!” She chirped.

“What are you doing here?” He half asked, half growled as he sat up and stretched his body hearing pops in all sorts of places.

“Hey this was my spot first! You’re just the dog that sleeps on my front porch!” Lyn responded feigning shock.

“Right and the real reason?” Aaron asked groggily as he finished stretching.

“I thought you’d be able to get food.” She replied without a hint of shame.

“Yeah figured as much.” Aaron replied as he got up and started to walk in the direction of the gate out of the capital. Lyn followed beside him.

The streets were just as busy as they were yesterday but just as lifeless. Aaron watched the people go by with the same eyes. Lyn on the other hand started occasionally waving at people and giving them cheers of encouragement as she passed. The occasional child ran and caught up with their parents.

Most of the adults however just completely ignored Lyn’s words and kept shambling along with nearly dead eyes. Lyn pouted at them. “Well that’s just plain rude.” Aaron didn’t dignify that with a response.

They eventually reached the gates and Aaron immediately noted the changes since he was last here. He used to share a drink with the gate guards. Now they were probably dead if this gate was in any way reflective of their current state. It had completely crumbled.

The metal had folded in on itself like it was a piece of paper crumbled in a giant’s hand. The hinges were bent and broken. Even the floor made of solid stone was cracked and full of pebbles that were once cold and hard ground for people to walk on. It all crumbled outwards.

Something had barged out of the city and through the gates like a hurricane then simply left the mess for the imperials to clean up and none of them had bothered. Why would they? Most of the imperials were monsters now and the only normal one left was the marionette woman. ‘Heh funny that she turned out to be the normal one.’ Aaron thought.

He turned to Lyn beside him. “This is where you wait little lady.” He said sternly.

Lyn pouted. “I’m older than you.” She said. The pout made her claims seem very believable. So believable it caused Aaron to roll his eyes in shock.

“Yes I’m sure you are but that’s not the point.” Aaron replied sarcastically. Getting another pout in response.

“This is the dangerous part where I go and hunt a monster to bring back for food. You are going to sit here and wait if you want some of it.” He said dangling the food like a carrot. Hopefully that would work. Her smile seemed to indicate it did.

Aaron started to walk through the gate and he saw Lyn waving at him from the corner of his eye. “It’s ok honey. I’ll wait here for you to come home like a good little wifey!” She said cheerily and Aaron stopped in his tracks. He could feel the stares of the surrounding people now and they were incredibly painful.

‘Maybe I should avoid her when I come back with the food.’ Aaron thought with more than just a little anger. She could read his thoughts like a book though. She cheered “Bring back the game like a good provider and you’ll get a reward later!”. The surrounding stares became even more painful.

‘She’s just teasing. They’re just misunderstanding. Everything is fine. Do not rip her head off.’ Aaron reminded himself in his mind as he left out of the gates. He also looked around. Specifically at the people who were giving him stares.

A number of werewolves dragged massive creatures through the gates with them as they returned. The larger the prey they held between their teeth, the larger the smile on their lips. Smiles that died when they heard what Lyn said.

Aaron watched as one came back with a creature he recognised as living in the nearby mountain range. It looked a little like a deer, with two antlers sharpened to pinpoints on it’s head. It’s hooves were instead claws, it’s legs far more muscular and flexible than any deer had the right to be.

It’s fur was grey with hints of white, blending in with it’s mountain range environment. It’s tail looked like a human arm. Heavily muscled and easily capable of scaling the sheer cliff faces of the animal’s home. Or punching someone’s lights out.

It had several scratches across it’s body and the arm was practically hanging on by a single tendon. It’s throat was marred with a deep gash that was still dripping small amounts of blood onto the capital pavement.

The monsters didn’t have names yet so people had often just taken to calling them whatever was convenient and taking that to be their name. This was no different. Apparently, the people in the mountain environments called this a chimeric stag which was a gross understatement in Aaron’s opinion.

It was a specialised mountain killing machine and being a good 10 feet tall, the thing hit like it’s home was crashing down on you. Aaron was actually surprised anyone bothered to catch one. Their meat was particularly hard, thanks to all the muscle and many discarded the arm that came from it’s tail for obvious reasons.

It could make good weapons but obviously there weren’t many left who had any sort of skill in the area of crafting. Plus the weapons it made were only rapiers and the like. Piercing weapons, the kind most werewolves hated.

Other catches were around of course and most of them were standard. There were a couple chub squirrels that were just a mutation of their namesake that got really big and fat, using their weight to crush anything they see.

Then there were the limber foxes which were really tiny but their teeth were so sharp not even a werewolf could stop them from ripping limbs. The blue knocker which was a giant fat bird with a blue and yellow colour scheme that dropped shit bombs so big they could actually drown you.

All of them pretty normal catches for this area. Aaron had to scoff at himself for considering any of this normal. You didn’t see any ‘normal’ animals these days. They were all wiped out and these abominations are what they got instead.

Aaron had finished looking at the people around him as their stares appeared to avert when he looked in their direction. It was time for a hunt. Aaron cleared his mind of all other thoughts and started to run in the direction of the nearest forest. The rocky ground and occasional splatters of mud didn’t hinder him in the slightest. His form quickly changed and he was soon the predator of these woods.

Aaron found himself scouring the ground. He searched for scents, listened for even the slightest noise. All his senses were on alert and he was ready. He ran through the forest with that mindset for he didn’t know how long.

Werewolves had been hunting this forest ever since the alpha had turned them. Their tendency to go for the biggest prey first meant a lot of alpha predators weren’t around any more. It was quite hard to find prey at all in the nearest areas. Powerful prey like the chimeric stag were even more rare than any form of usual prey.

So Aaron was ready to wait. He was patient as he searched. He didn’t mind not taking down the biggest game out there. He wasn’t strong and he had never claimed to be. All he had to do was bag something that wasn’t completely unacceptable and get as many of them as he could manage.

Soon he heard a sound. It was a thumping like a massive creature constantly hitting the ground at high speed. He perked up his ears and listened. Yet after another second, the sound stopped. It wasn’t running then. Yet he felt like it was banging the floor with it’s foot.

He kept his footsteps quiet as he approached the last place he heard the sound. Then he heard it again. This time however, it was quick and one-off. A single thump from a small distance away. He started to run, still trying to keep his steps quiet.

Suddenly he heard another thump, much closer to him than before. He realised something was wrong in that instant. Without hesitation, Aaron dove to the right and switched forms. Now on all fours in his canine appearance he saw the dust clear and something was standing in his former location.

The only way to describe it would be giant bunny. It’s fur was brown yet it looked incredibly thick. The bunny was at least 14 foot tall and triple that wide. The thing was bigger than some buildings. No wonder it’s steps were so loud.

Aaron looked down and saw that it’s feet were incredibly muscular. The place where it landed had an indent in the shape of it’s feet. Looking back up at it’s face, he saw that it had two protruding front teeth and long ears on it’s head.

Which was when he realised. ‘It knew I was coming.’ He thought, surprised. Those ears were clearly far better than his own, it would’ve heard him coming from a mile away. That explained why it arrived so quickly.

While Aaron might’ve been analysing the creature, it didn’t seem to share the sentiment. He saw it’s foot make a preparatory movement and he dodged to the side again. The next instant it was gone. It had just appeared in his previous location.

Thinking he’d have time to analyse it again, he was surprised when he saw it’s leg raise again. He tried to dodge by a smaller margin but as the bunny appeared, he was blown backwards by the shock-wave.

‘Ah. Of course it creates shock-waves.’ Aaron thought sarcastically. The day could always get worse he supposed. This thing might’ve been thick in many ways but it was also fast. Incredibly fast. Aaron quickly realised that if he was hit by any of it’s attacks he was dead. He wasn’t strong enough to survive a blow like that.

When the thing made another preparatory move Aaron tried to retaliate this time. He jumped out of the way and sent a flying kick to it’s belly. He felt the blow connect but was blown away by the shock-waves a second after.

Looking at the bunny, he saw that he hadn’t actually done any damage to it. ‘That fur is incredibly thick. Absorbs impacts like a sponge. This is going to be a hassle.’ Aaron thought. He quickly tried to determine the best way to take this thing down.

As he did, he saw those movements again. They were avoided a moment later. ‘At least I know the thing’s a brute. It’s practically got a single attack pattern.’ Aaron thought somewhat relieved. He determined impacts weren’t going to work so he looked for the place with the least fur.

‘If I can slice into it’s skin, hopefully it’ll bleed out.’ Aaron had started to realise that jumping around wasn’t making the thing tired. He, on the other hand, had to make incredibly large and obvious movements to dodge. The shock-waves would hit him otherwise.

The longer this dragged on, the worse things would be for him. He needed to decide now. Run or take it out by bleeding it to death. If people saw it... He noticed the thing make more preparatory movements and that decided for him. He couldn’t get away from something this quick.

It landed in the spot he was previously in again. This time, Aaron’s claws extended and he aimed for the thing’s ears. With a larger resistance than he was expecting, he cut through the base of it’s ears. Aaron’s claws bent back with the difficulty of getting through the tough hide however.

Once it’s ears splattered against the floor Aaron could see the rage in it’s eyes. With a loud and booming roar like nothing you’d expect from a rabbit, the thing smacked it’s legs into the ground. It caused an EARTHQUAKE.

The ground shook and Aaron lost his balance. Taking the opportunity, the rabbit bounced straight at him. It was ready to blow his head off. With what Aaron assumed was a powerful swing of it’s leg, something impacted right next to his face.

He had tilted his neck at the last second. Not that it would help much. He felt the shock-wave hit all the spots he really didn’t want them to. His shoulder made an unpleasant crack and he could see it bend out of shape.

His neck swung to the side and he felt it come loose. The only thing stopping his neck from snapping was the powerful tensed muscles keeping them in place. Aaron felt dizzy like his world was spinning, the entire back of his head felt like spiders were crawling all over it and his arms felt loose, even the one that wasn’t out of it’s socket.

With a growl of determination, Aaron sent his hand towards the thing’s neck while it was off balance. The creature tried to dodge, but only had one leg on the ground. Fast as it was, at this range, even it couldn’t fully avoid the blow.

It managed to get out of the way in time to avoid a full slash but a small cut was carved into it’s neck in the shape of Aaron’s claws. Blood was now spraying from the top of it’s head where it’s ears once were while it’s neck also let out a trickle of it’s own.

It was even more enraged and Aaron could do very little about it. He turned around and started running. With enough time, the thing would bleed out or Aaron would heal. Either one was enough to give him an edge.

So Aaron started running or rather stumbling through the forest. His neck injury meant his balance was shot and he often tripped over rocks that he would’ve easily avoided before. He felt that his movements were not quite right, as though he was telling his limbs to move but it was taking a second for the command to register.

Nonetheless he ran. He used trees as cover, hearing the smashing of bark and the crashing of trunks behind him. He continued to run. The thumping getting closer and closer the more he ran. His healing was incredibly slow.

He could feel his balance getting better and his arm was slowly moving back into place. But it had probably been several minutes by now and it had barely moved. Aaron’s auto-recovery wasn’t a particularly potent healing but it was still something.

He continued to run and stumble, at one point catching himself on a stick. Having to roll out the way of the creature as it bounded onto the place he just was.

After Aaron had continued running for he didn’t know how long, he suddenly heard a louder thump than any before behind him. Turning around, he came face to face with the bunny. It’s face was covered in blood, it’s once brown fur stained a deep scarlet.

With a deep roar that sounded somehow weak, it kicked towards Aaron. He wasn’t able to avoid this one. He might’ve been able to slightly heal his out of socket arm but his neck injury was still there. He was dizzy and felt numb all over.

He did the best he could. Moving as far as he could and placing his arms around his head and torso. Then he felt the impact. The shattering of bones was the least of his worries as the vibrations that passed through his internal organs caused quite the amount of damage on their own.

Aaron flew through the air, so numbed that he didn’t even feel the wind crashing against him or the tree he smacked into. He lay there, somewhere between consciousness and unconsciousness for several dozen minutes.

Eventually however, he came to and looked around. What he found surprised him. In front of him was the bunny, on the floor and no longer breathing. It’s last strike was apparently a last ditch effort to survive.

To convince himself he wasn’t out of danger yet, Aaron dragged his barely responding body up and off the tree he’d been lying against. His back felt like he was being stabbed with several needles, yet it also felt numb and at this point, he was grateful for that.

He didn’t see the wolf shaped hole in the tree behind him as he waddled towards the bunny’s corpse, unsteady on his feet. He then grabbed it by it’s head and started to drag it off in the direction of town. ‘I just have to hope no one sees this. Heh fat chance’ He thought to himself in deluded amusement.

By the time Aaron arrived back in the capital, his wounds were significantly less prevalent. He could stand straight now, along with his shoulder slotting back into place. As he walked through the gates, he looked like a proud hunter returning with his catch and people were certainly awed by his prey.

The giant bunny was taller than most buildings and just the ability to drag it along behind him garnered respect. The bunny being his prey made the feat look even more impressive. People gasped around him as Aaron dragged the creature along.

Then he met eyes with two people he really didn’t want to. The first was Lyn. Her eyes were wide with shock and she seemed impressed with his display. Those saphires were sparkling. He felt pride at this for a moment before remembering the alpha’s words. He didn’t deserve pride.

The second was the more troublesome however. A man with a shaved short head of black hair and eyes that made even Aaron cower slightly. He was clapping. Slow sounds of his flesh hitting each other resounded throughout the now silent plaza as everyone stared at Aaron and backed away from the man.

“I must say that catch is truly impressive. It would be a shame to let that talent go to waste. Don’t you think ladies.” He said turning to the women who were clinging to him. They both wined like ignored puppies.

“Indeed I must attend to you as well. I shall show you I am far more deserving of your attention than the little wolf later but it’s still impressive no?” He said seemingly understanding their indistinct noises. He turned back to Aaron.

“I could use skills like those. You will be my messenger as we go to destroy the remaining duchies. First Jupiter then Neptune, Saturn, Mercury and finally the two of our most hated enemies.” One of the 5 wolf generals Calvin Livertan the loyal playboy stated definitively. “Mars and Venus are the best saved for last no?” He asked.

0