8. Return to Blumend II
41 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The air is humid and it is dark. I adjust my senses well with the surroundings, and my perception stat that comes with my level doesn’t betray me.

“Be careful. It is the darkness that makes Underdark difficultTell me, how is your perception?”

“I am… fine… I can perceive about two meters ahead of me.”

Not bad. I compliment her in my mind.

We proceed on our journey while I make sure to be just two meters ahead of Sofalia. I am doing quite well despite lacking any Night Vision skills. My sword, Darkbringer’s passive, Devourer of Darkness is helping me a great deal.

The Devourer of Darkness (DoD) is a buff that allows me to detect monsters easier from the dark, and gain power relatively proportional to the number of monsters attacking me. Though not as good as Night Vision, DoD has various effects... Its strongest buff is that it gives me a [100%] increase in stats while I am in the dark.

I can confidently say. Sofalia is safest with me when in the Underdark.

While the ‘Tunnels of Underdark’ do not represent the Underdark for what it is exactly, it is a fact that these tunnels offer much that the Underdark has to give— that is darkness and numbers.

“I will be honest with you, Sofalia. It will only take me two to three days to reach the Blumend Kingdom, without a burden like you.” Though I am exaggerating, I should be able to do it in less than a week. I wish Fast Travel existed in this world, but clearly, it is not.

I can only deduce that from the time setting of my history while traveling to places, it will take me roughly two to three days' worth of distance at full speed if it is only something like between Blumend and Umchaka Forest. I did not include variables such as mob creatures, or hostile NPCs blocking my way, so it is safe to assume I should be able to do it in less than a week.

“Why did you bring me here, then?” Sofalia inquires. If it is so dangerous, why not choose the safer route above ground? She must be thinking something like that.

“It is because.” With a light swing from my Darkbringer, I kill an Assassin-type Skeleton causing bones to splinter and bounce on Sofalia’s legs. “I am the strongest when it is dark.”

I add while I remain facing forward. “I will adjust my pace to yours. This is what is going to happen— I am going to increase your level— I will train you. I have no means to detect their strength properly, so to be safe, I will only throw the weaker ones at you. After I learn their patterns and habits, only then will I throw the stronger ones.”

***

“What do you mean? Right at this moment, my subjects are suffering. The Kingdom needs me!” Sofalia is in disbelief as once more the man before her submerging in the darkness turns all of her expectations upside down.

As the man is walking away, she has no choice but to follow lest she is left to fend off for herself. Unreliable— she starts thinking of the Warrior that Arkruff is hurling high praises of to be as such.

Sofalia doesn’t understand. She can recall that tidbit of dialogue even today, of how Arkruff refers to him as a Lonely Warrior with unfathomable skills.

“The tunnels of Underdark have two things to offer— Darkness and Numbers… The darkness that you experience, being blind, is just the beginning. This Darkness after all is magical, not merely a physical manifestation. The higher your magic attribute, the better you will be able to see in a sense. But as I said, blindness is not there is all to see in darkness…”

As his voice echoes somberly in the tunnels, he suddenly throws something at her.

Sofalia receives her first sparring partner— A Shadow Wraith— something that Sofalia only hears about from her tutor discussing Undead. This is her first time fighting a Shadow Wraith.

“Darkness, on top of blindness, also suggests the existence of Dark-type monsters. This Shadow Wraith is just among the few monsters of the Underdark. It ranges from Level 60 to 65, so this monster should be within your abilities.” He adds.

Sofalia draws her Brilden to defend herself as dark ghostly claws fly on her neck with fury.

“You cannot use Fenrir for the duration of this training. I am not sure of the mechanics of Power-levelling, but I will try my best.” He adds one more reminder.

Sofalia doesn’t know what he is even saying. Level? Power-leveling?

For an unknown amount of time, Sofalia continues to relentlessly swing her sword while mixing a few magic in between. She efficiently and effectively uses every skill in her arsenal.

When it is time to rest, the two of them find an Underdark Inn which he seems to know perfectly well where to find. “Van the Third,” is just getting more and more mysterious in her eyes.

“I… I am so tired… How long it has been since we have been here?” Sofalia cries while she drops dead on the soft bed of the Inn.

***

The Tunnels of Underdark are like the national highways aboveground between nations. In a sense, the tunnels also have Inns for weary travelers to rest.

I rarely go to the Underdark back in the day as this place is littered with Undead-type monsters which like all undead always has disgustingly trashy drop items.

“Hey, handsome… Do you fancy a drink?” The waitress sashays on my way, her voluptuous breast peeking out from her corset.

“A Dark Elf,” I analyze the person before me. “They are one of the denizens of Underdark. Beautiful, pale skin, red eyes, and generally have a habit to hide their intentions and abilities.”

If only I have my Appraisal Function like back in the game that allows me to see names and levels.

I can only rely on my memories of the past, so that's what I do. “No, spare me the liquor. I fancy a bed. Just you and I…” My voice is sure... is dull, but the message gets across successfully as the Dark Elf shows me a flirtatious smile.

“Are you sure? It looks like you are already in the company of a beautiful lady.” She throws me a provocative glance aware of my companion. “Come,” With her leading the way, she guides me deeper into the establishment. “A night with me costs a lot.”

“I know,” I answer, my eyes not leaving her for a second.

The Velvyn Inn despite being underground is a luxurious establishment with furnishings of gold and silver. It is a high-class establishment that receives its customers with sincerity… and other services.

“Say, handsome… an hour of my service is worth a gold bar at least…” The Dark Elf removes her clothes in a matter of seconds revealing her lustrous skin and dreamy figure.

Something invisible strikes my head, I feel dizzy for a moment, but I quickly recover.

“I see,” Looks like my deductions do not fail me. “Since entering the establishment, I have been observing each one of your staff, owner… I judge that what you did just a second ago is magic…”

The Dark Elf tenses up. “You… Did you ask me for my services to get me into a private space…? Fascinating…” She is smiling, but not the kind smile a person can expect from a Dark Elf.

I don’t know what the reason behind their behavior is, but according to lore, Dark Elves tend to involve themselves in criminal work.

“Dreamwalker,” I call to her by referring to her [Tier 7] Legacy. “You are strong, but not strong enough for me. You must have robbed your victims of their information this way with a dream spell… I warn you… It will never work on me…”

For a part-time job, I reckon she must be earning a lot to be doing this again and again.

“You caught me.” The Dark Elf fixes her clothes back and directs me with a hateful gaze. “What do you want, human?”

I tuck my hands on my trousers and throw the Ice Crystal I have been keeping for some time. “Get me a Basilisk Skin Leather Bag about the worth of that thing. Just be forewarned… Don’t cheat me, or else I will kill you.”

The Dark Elf scoffs thinking too little of my threats. To show I am serious, I release my Killing Intent having her taste what is to come if she dares betray my trust.

“I trust that you will do as I say,” I warn her for the last time.

As she is now more aware of her situation, she can only nod to my request.

I leave her to do my bidding.

I need reliable storage. Maybe it is in my instincts to hoard items, but as the journey proceeds and more of the drops get left behind, the worse I feel for myself.

Bag is an item in the game that extends your Inventory Space. It is an inefficient way though to increase a player’s carrying capacity this way as it fills up an equipment slot. It is better if the player simply just buys the game’s Inventory Expansion Package. But in this world, such a convenient thing does not exist.

As I return to the more common area of the Inn to maybe grab a drink and gather information, I see Sofalia arguing with someone. “Hmmm… and here I thought she was sleeping…”

I observe the situation calmly from a bystander’s point of view.

Apparently... Sofalia is hungry and wants to eat something. In the process of trying to find me, she ends up in an altercation with a dwarf. The reason being ‘slavery’, which as royalty, Sofalia finds dishonorable.

***

“Release her at once! Are the people of the Underdark such barbarians!?” Sofalia screams at the top of her lungs while raising her index finger at the dwarf.

“She is my slave, you wench. Don’t you see her clothing? She is a noble which means she is educated and maybe even has a strong legacy of her own! If I sell her on the arena, I will make a fortune!”

The Dwarf’s spit goes everywhere while he protectively hides his ‘slave’ behind his back.

The slave in question is a human woman about Sofalia’s age. She wears a distinctive gown that suggests her nobility. There is also a crest on her left chest, the Black Rose, which stands out from her white dress if not for the mud and dirt hiding the beautiful linings of gold in her clothes.

Sofalia now understands why she needs to exchange her clothes for fur and cover herself with dirt and mud. The races of the Underdark are heavily discriminatory against humans.

“How much?”

“What?”

The slave shudders in a fetal position trying to hide from Sofalia. The sight of this only arouses Sofalia’s anger. She doesn’t know why the slave seems to cower from her, a fellow human.

Sofalia grits her teeth, and with a growl, she reiterates her question. “How much for her then?”

The Dwarf sports a nasty grin. “If I sell her on the Arena, I will at least have a dozen gold bars. But I will give her to you at a discount… Let’s settle on the price of half.”

Not doubting the Dwarf’s words, Sofalia draws a pearl hiding from her fur plate. “This is worth at least that much. Now, give her to me…”

Just like that, the Dwarf receives the pearl… and with one swift motion, he slits the slave’s throat.

Sofalia just watches in surprise as the Dwarf cackles and throws the slave in her arms. The slave’s eyes are dull and dead. The anger boiling within turns to hot hatred. She grinds her molars as pure rage ought to take her reason.

As she is about to draw her Brilden, a spear and a curved sword find their mark on her throat only stopping a millimeter before it draws blood.

Reason returns to her being. The two Dark Elves wearing the same clothes threaten to take her life without a second thought. “We, the Velvyn Guards, will not take your provocation lightly…” One of them, the sword-wielder presses his sharp edge at Sofalia, lightly drawing blood.

“That Dwarf killed my slave!” At her rebuttal, the Dwarf immediately answers.

“Sorry. You must be misunderstanding something. I was selling her to you dead… Did you forget I was selling her half her price? I am an honest merchant. In business, this is just how it goes…”

***

“Enough,” I intrude on their conversation, my Aura and Killing Intent mixing with the environment. “I cannot take this anymore…”

I look down at the Dwarf who is shaking in his boots out of fear. It is only right for him to feel fear. I can kill him any time I want. However, following the laws of the Underdark, then... he is not in the wrong.

“You have been almost scammed…” I stare at Sofalia. I then turn my gaze to the guards.

With my gaze landing on them, the Velvyn Guards retreat at once.

I approach the dead slave. I slit my wrist and let the blood flow on her lips. “This slave was a human. This Dwarf is hoping for you to just go on your way after earning quick cash from you…”

The dead slave starts writhing on the ground, and with a sudden jolt, she opens her eyes while the wound on her neck regenerates at a speed visible to the naked eye.

“Take your vampire slave, Sofalia…”

5