Chapter 18: Silence
181 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thankfully for Sue’s strained... everything, Daystar wouldn’t end up stringing her along for very long.

She might have known all of nothing about agriculture, but liked to think she had a relatively decent visual memory. Enough so to remember the unusually colored bark of a couple of fruit trees back at Moonview’s farm, and realize that it was a match for the small grove they had just walked into.

Her stomach would definitely not say no to some lunch later on.

Or now.

The problem of sitting down with a crutch was one Sue was acutely familiar with. And one that, despite all her struggling, she hadn’t found a better answer for than having someone else lift her whole body, be it with their arms or mind. Daystar’s solution to that conundrum wasn’t groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination, but it got the job done all the same.

She squatted to grab the lower part of the mobility tool with her clawed hand, lifted it up from the ground, and began to rotate it slowly in her unwavering grasp. The point the once-human was supporting herself on was steadily lowered, until all it took to sit down was just letting her butt fall down a couple of inches.

With how lanky Daystar’s build was, Sue didn’t expect her to be on the “could probably snap her like a twig” level of physical strength. Certainly not with other extraordinarily strong creatures she’d seen so far at least looking ripped. But no, don’t even need that in here, apparently.

Muscles are just for decoration. Who could’ve known.

“Thank you.”

Despite her grateful tone being successfully conveyed, the gray creature wasn’t particularly focused on that, their sharp claws rhythmically tapping each other as they thought something through. Uncertain, determined, puzzled. Whatever it was, it couldn’t have been too bad. The realization combined with the two night kin kiddos having sat down beside her helped tremendously in calming Sue back down following the tense exchange at the clearing.

Now just to link up with Daystar and let’s see what she’d been wracking her brains about. Close eyes, suppress emotions, reach-

”KYAH!”

A harsh snarl cut Sue off before she could get started, her whole body freezing as she opened her eyes to find the three dagger-like claws inches in front of her. The attached face and mind were much closer to slight irritation than a kind of fury a threatening gesture ought to have implied, however.

No telepathy then, alright...

Even if her host’s mental state never went beyond annoyance and quickly receded from even that, the motion of their claws left Sue shaken, not daring to even twitch as she sat in place. Her heart hammered in her ears as her eyes drilled a hole in the forest floor; what felt like a near death experience dulled out any external stimuli. It took a while for her mind to start unwinding from that sight. It might not have been a threat, but, Duckdamn, it was hard to think rationally with something sharp enough to slice clean through any of the surrounding trees being so nonchalantly pointed at her.

*tap-tap*

The couple of pinging sounds as Daystar tapped her claws on the metal hook of her prosthesis snapped Sue back to reality, gaze jumping upwards only to near instantly lock with Daystar’s expression of... concern. Reassuring if nothing else, at least, and also letting Sue spot the rather uneven edge of the large... feather that sprouted from where her left ear ought to have been, as if it’d been crudely cut off at around eye height.

“I-I’m okay, I think.”

With the Forest Guardian’s focus secured, her host nodded, took a deep breath, looked straight at her... and pointed her clawed arm at herself, before speaking slower than Sue had seen anyone do before.

“~Aya.~”

The sounds weren’t an exact match for anything she recognized, but they were the closest thing she’d heard up until that point. Their clarity, combined with the utterance clearly being a single word and the accompanying gesture, made it very clear what this presentation was supposed to accomplish. The realization lit up a fire inside Sue, enough so for her to brush off her previous fright and switch gears to trying to absorb as much of the impromptu language lesson as she could.

Sue nodded and shakily reached her hand to point at Daystar, attempting to repeat the sound as close as she could-

“Aya.”

Immediate shake of the gray one’s head- she got something wrong, but what exactly was impossible to tell. Thankfully, she wouldn’t be left in complete darkness for too long afterwards. Daystar once more pointed at herself, accentuating the gesture with tapping the golden gem on her front with the tip of one of her claws, and repeated the word-

“~Aya.~”

Alright, so this wasn’t her name, which left the other main possibility.

This time, Sue pointed at herself, slightly less uncertainly than before, and gave it another go.

“Aya.”

Slow nod and a faint smirk. Not ‘Daystar’, but something much more important.

‘I’. Simple enough.

Or at least, that’s how it initially seemed.

“~Aya.~”

Sue blinked at Daystar repeating the same gesture again, unsure as to the reasoning behind it. Suppose repetition is how you learn, but she wouldn’t have thought that would extend to demonstrations. Oh well, let’s just repeat it on her end, too. Clear her throat, point at self-

“Aya.”

A slow shake of her host’s head.

...aaaaand back to being completely lost.

The Forest Guardian stared at the gray one blankly, having not a shred of idea of why she went from doing well to failing despite simply repeating her previous action. There was no way something as fundamental as what she assumed to be pronouns would just change on a whim like that, right? With how weird this world had been so far, she knew she had absolutely no guarantee of that being the case, but her hope remained all the same.

Foolishly, perhaps.

For a while, both Sue and Daystar were about as confused as each other, both missing different pieces of critical knowledge that would let them piece the situation together. A couple more attempts yielded largely the same results. No matter how well her host enunciated her words and no matter how closely Sue had tried matching their pronunciation, she forever fell short, making what felt like no progress whatsoever.

Right as the fire in the once-human’s body would be wholly extinguished by that demoralizing realization, Pollux tried to help, contributing to the conversation in a very direct but unintuitive way.

“~Aaaaaaawooooooooaaaaa!~”

His howl answered exactly nothing for Sue, but it gave Daystar an immediate idea. The click inside her head was downright palpable for the Forest Guardian. Instead of repeating the word yet again with the accompanying gesture, she held her clawed paw limply above and beside her. Then, she spoke once more, drawing out just that very first sound.

“~Aaaaaaaaaaaaa.~”

Alright, got pointed at with the hook. Guess she should try that again. Hand held tall, any remnants of self-consciousness over grabbing attention forcibly evaporating under the sudden pressure- let’s make some noise.

“Aaaaaaaaaaa?”

Daystar flicked her claws at hearing Sue’s response, making her impromptu student blink before apparently trying to mimic her most recent vocalization-

“~Aaaaaaaaááá.~”

Paired with that mumble was a flick of her paw even further up at the end, as if rising in tune with her-

Her pitch.

Sue’s mind grasped at that idea and wouldn’t let go, once more preparing to deliver the world’s most unenthused scream. This time, though, she put in the effort to modulate her tone to whatever extent her voice box allowed, down and up and down, while moving her hand along to match.

“Ààààǎáááááâààà.”

Immediate, cheerful reaction,delivered with a wide and only slightly intimidating grin and a couple of firm nods.

Progress!

Without wasting another moment to let the wave of enthusiasm subside, Daystar went back to her previous idea, this time using the hook to point at herself as her other hand visually conveyed the change in intonation-

“~Àýa.~”

Down, up, even.

...

Oh no.

The revelation of the local language turning out to be a tonal one undid a lot of the excitement she’d built up about her breakthrough. Soon after, she forcibly overrode her knee-jerk reaction as she redoubled her efforts towards being as receptive as possible. It was going to be unlike the one language she knew, but, at least in this particular regard, not wholly unique.

A sixth of the planet uses tones, I can figure them out, too.

Even if it'll take pushing my monolingual, British ass into uncharted territory.

By the time Sue had chewed through that entire upsetting train of thought, she felt concern grow in her teacher, its source not particularly hard to guess. With a firm nod, the once-human focused on the lesson again, firmly nodding and raising her hand again to give the task her best attempt-

“Aaaààǎýá?”

A ‘so-so’ gesture wasn’t perfect, but it was still progress. It pushed her to try again and again, the act of mixing pitch with sounds unlike anything she’d ever done previously. Each attempt got closer, Daystar’s nods growing more exaggerated until she was satisfied with Sue’s efforts, gesturing for her to stop. As warm of a smile as the gray biped looked capable of, a brief comment- and then, she pointed at the assembled kids, one at a time, her instruction becoming clear afterwards.

“~Àwóóa!~”

“~Àààwúúúúúaaa!~”

“~Càààééa!~”

Paying closer attention to the shifting pitch in Pollux’s, Howl’s and Rainfall’s vocalizations clued Sue in towards their purpose. They were attempting to pronounce the same word, with vastly different outcomes. Daystar didn’t object to any of them, Sue’s umpteenth repeat of the same partially botched word enough to satisfy her.

Was there just no consistency like that in this language?

Figured not everyone could make the same sounds, sometimes not even close, but how the language accommodated for that fact remained unclear- beyond the weirdly permissive demonstration she’d just heard, that is. Hopefully, it means that people will be willing to cut her some slack with her pronunciation.

That’d be nice.

A couple of other basic words were taught using similar charades; Sue left to just think about them really hard in lieu of any paper to write the secrets of the universe down upon. “~Kò~” meant ‘you’, though judging by the little ones’ contribution, “~Gèè~” and even “~Pỳù~” were also acceptable pronunciations, somehow. “~Ỳùn.~” and “~Ky̌á.~” meant ‘yes’ and ‘no’ respectively. Hardly useful on their own with her head shaking translating over, but no less appreciated.

Her pronunciation remained sketchy despite her best attempts.

Questions aside, she’d almost never consciously manipulated her pitch like that before, and she could physically feel the effort that task took, deep in her throat. Not painful, not by any stretch, but definitely uncomfortable and something she’d have to get acclimated to gradually.

Sue almost grasped the couple of words that came afterwards, but the devil was in the details, deep down and ever annoying. Both “~Àkô~” and “~Àsô~” seemed to be pronouns in the vein of ‘he’ or ‘she’, but didn’t map exactly to any distinction she could think of. For a moment, she thought the difference was the gender one she was familiar with, but it wasn’t the case, as evidenced by both herself and Pollux being referred to with the former of the two unknown words.

First lesson, this was the absolute basics, and she was just not getting something important, the natural 1 on her comprehension roll making Sue withdraw a bit. The three night kin and a... fellow inhabitant of Newmoon, she imagined, discussed the topic for a while, the dark bird’s eventual contribution sparking another revelation inside the tallest of the bunch.

Time for some vandalism.

With Sue’s attention secured, Daystar carved a roughly circular shape on the bark of the fruit tree standing beside her. The gesture looked simultaneously careful in its execution while also being effortless; the wood might as well have been butter for her razor-sharp claws.

Pointed at herself, pointed at Sue, pointed at the fresh drawing.

“~Àýa, kò, àsô.~”

I, you, it.

The exercise explained little on its own, but Sue repeated it all the same. A couple nods of confirmation later, her host proceeded to the next step of this makeshift demonstration, and drew a face inside the circle. Two vertical lines for eyes, one horizontal line for mouth. Would make for a good ‘detached’ emote. Before Sue could settle on making “add Daystar’s exact scribbled emoji to the Unicode standard” her life’s goal after she got back home, the gray one continued.

Pointed at herself, pointed at Sue, pointed at the edited drawing.

“~Àýa, kò, àkô.~”

I, you, ...they?

She blinked at that thought, going ahead with her own repetition before lingering on it afterwards, wanting to confirm her hunch.

Pollux got “~Àkô~”, her crutch got “~Àsô~”.

Two out of two.

Sue felt her brain expand in real time as he continued to experiment with objects around her, her hypothesis turning out to be almost correct. Annoyingly, the ‘almost’ part wasn’t anything she could logically figure out. There seemed to be a couple of apparent exceptions to her rule, everything else fitting the distinction she had in mind to a tee.

No clue whatsoever why specifically trees and the sky got ‘they’ and not ‘it’, but considering the extent of her learning today, it was at most a tiny annoyance. Once she was back at Willow’s clinic, she would have to ask for more paper and actually write her knowledge down, before everything she’d just learned escaped through whatever orifice it deemed appropriate.

Alright, that’s one half of the pronouns table, and if Daystar ordering the two canines around to split up between taking seats beside herself and Sue was any sign, plural pronouns would be next. A lot to learn, not a lot of gray matter on which to store that knowledge, but the once-human was as ready as ever, briefly patting her legs rhythmically to pump herself up for the next bit of studying-

Snowdrop!?

The brief glimpse of the icy, floating performer from a few days prior successfully derailed Sue’s entire train of thought, her shock catching everyone else’s attention. Thankfully, she wouldn’t be some madwoman that saw things that weren’t there. Daystar caught a glimpse, too, making her shout over toward the tree Snowdrop tried to hide behind, her voice full of... concern.

Guess these two must know each other?

It took a bit more pleading, but eventually the star of Moonview’s show finally presented herself again, her worry and embarrassment becoming clearer by the moment. Not worry about Sue, not just worry about Sue at least, but also something else, something much more self-focused. Almost like she was... afraid of Sue, somehow. The Forest Guardian had no idea what to think as her timid wave was returned shortly after.

Daystar wasted no time intervening further, physically beckoning the cold one over as they spoke. Snowdrop eventually settled down on the ground next to them all, trying to look at literally everything around except for Sue. It didn’t feel malicious as much as embarrassed, but that helped little. It left Sue feeling very, very uneasy as the conversation shifted around her.

To little surprise, her first proper attempt at fishing even just the handful of words she knew out of the broth of the group’s chatter was an almost total failure. A couple “~Àýa~”, one or two “~Ky̌á~”, nowhere near enough to give her even the smallest inkling of an idea about the discussion’s topic. Even her sixth sense provided more information than that, though it required very heavy interpretation to get anything out of. Intense shame whenever Snowdrop as much as glanced in her direction, mutual concern between her and Daystar, and the latter clearly pleading something once or twice.

No answers, but just enough to leave Sue profoundly uncomfortable throughout.

Swell.

Sixth sense or not, the discomfort in Sue’s body language wasn’t all too difficult to spot for others. Pollux took it upon himself to comfort her more acutely by scrambling onto her lap. His effort was appreciated as always, though its effectiveness was... questionable. Daystar had her own ideas, however, a quick comment towards the lil’ black bird that had been trying to snuggle in beside Snowdrop making her fly off further into the small orchard, the action’s purpose self-evident.

Hunger wasn’t helping her thought process either, sating it wouldn’t hurt-

“^Hi, Sue!^”

The sudden manifestation of the girly, squeaky voice made Sue jump a bit as she feverishly looked around for its origin, eventually spotting her casually... standing(?) beside her. It was her second time seeing this particular hat creature, and the few days haven’t dulled her astonished reactions at just how surreal her appearance was one bit. Especially with the entirety of her locomotion being left to a couple of blue extensions on the back of her... hair.

“H-hey, Thistle.”

Looking like a costume design gone wrong or not, Sue couldn’t deny being very grateful to the small, squeaky psychic for showing up. The return of the language barrier and the uncomfortable, tense scene that followed chafed her worry-happy mind too much for comfort.

“^What are you doing here?^”

“It’s... a long story, Thistle~. I can tell you later if you’d want, sweetie.”

Daystar’s voice turning coherent again brought immense relief, the hatful of psychic immediately squirming up closer beside Sue despite not even exactly knowing what had happened.

“^Okay, Miss Daystar! Hello Miss Snowdrop!^”

“H-hey...” - The quiet, whispered greeting had Sue’s concern grow further. Her confusion about the situation and inability to help directly were driving her mad, and she had no idea if it was even really related to her-

“^Miss Snowdrop, Miss Sue wants to know what’s wrong!^”

Could you ask before digging inside my head?

“^Sorry! It’s hard not to!^”

If not for Thistle’s question, Sue would’ve rolled her eyes at that explanation, mentally attributing it to the hatted psychic just being nosy like that. Instead, though, her attention was firmly centered on Snowdrop, the icy one’s immediate shame stinging the inside of Sue’s heart deeply.

“I-it’s... I-I’m sorry, Sue.”

The once-human was increasingly expecting the piece of the sky to fall down and smack her in the face with each passing moment, but not even she thought that’s what Snowdrop would say when being put on the spot like that. Some of her wanted to just give the icy one a figurative pass, just accept the apology even if its reason was utterly unknown, and let Snowdrop do whatever she was here for in peace.

Some, but not all.

“Wh-what for? You have done nothing wrong, j-just visiting a friend, right?”

Daystar chuckled at her words, Snowdrop’s cheeks burning up despite their nominal coldness as the icy one tried to withdraw into herself. The exchange would’ve been amusing in any other circumstance, but here it made it all even more confusing.

“Bit more than a friend~. Though, ultimately up to Snowy how she thinks about it all~.”

The pet name sure didn’t help with the frosty blush, the bravado she’d shown on the big stage utterly replaced with a healthy serving of fluster. It felt amusing and special to witness, but it wasn’t an answer, not by itself.

“Mnnnn... I-I’m sorry for not b-being honest about... all this, Sue.”

That at least made more sense to be sorry about. A whole heaping lot of sense, in fact, Sue’s attention shifting over to Daystar and giving her a raised eyebrow at the entire situation.

“I’d be lying if I knew what ‘all this’ is to begin with...”

“What is there to say~? Snowy has been seeing me for a few months and we’ve been getting closer throughout~. We talked a few times about relationships, and she mentioned how she sometimes feels like she has too much love in her for one person and been wondering how it would feel like to spread it~. Do I get it~? Not at all, but y’know~. I like her, want her to be happy, and know better than to expect anyone to ever fully devote themselves towards me~.”

By the time that Daystar had finished, Snowdrop was at acute risk of melting at the intensity of the embarrassed blush going through her body.

If the situation was any less serious, Sue would’ve giggled at it, but she just couldn’t, not with how much this was all clearly impacting the blushing frosty performer. The actual dynamic being explained was one that the once-human was truthfully completely unaware of, and the idea of being pulled in as what looked like a third wheel into a pre-existing relationship felt a bit off, but ultimately nothing bad had happened.

“H-hey, it’s alright, Snowdrop, I-I promise.”

As anxious as her words were, Sue’s message was genuine and Snowdrop could tell. She finally began to relax as she hovered closer to Daystar.

“Th-thank you, Sue. I... I s-still feel sorry for asking you s-since you w-weren’t interested in me like that, a-and as slyly as I did. It’s just... it’s scary. I l-love Daystar-“

“Love ya too, Snowy~.”

“-h-heheh, but it just feels so uncertain that any of this w-will ever work out. The separation, the distance, the... lack of closeness...”

“Snowy, I told ya many times sweetie~ if you aren’t feeling like getting closer in that way, then we don’t have to. If you ever do, then we’ll figure something out either way~.”

“B-but what i-if I never e-end up... ‘feeling like it’?”

“Then so be it~. I love you, not anythin’ ya do, and that ain’t changing~. Won’t let any lines in sand keep us apart, either. I didn’t come all this way just to let grudges and pettiness stop me.”

Snowdrop had no words right away, instead responding with as large of a hug as her wispy arms could manage, the gesture getting swiftly returned by the gray one. Thistle’s quiet ‘awwww’ had most gathered chuckle and the icy one come precipitously close to combusting again, definitely not helping the shared amusement. Before anyone could get too soggy or egg anyone else on, though, Rainfall’s return made for a good stopping point to that conversation, the black corvid delivering a handful of fist-sized blueberries for everyone to snack at.

Having one of them turned out to be a bad idea.

Not because of the flavor or anything intrinsic, it was delectable. Possibly too delectable even, Sue’s stomach immediately demanding more and to be finally sated, retripling its complaints almost as soon as she’d swallowed her first bite.

Would be rather rude to just beg for more. But if I just sit here like this, my stomach won't shut up, so... distraction.

“D-do you come f-from far, Daystar?”

Sue was only marginally interested in the answer to that question, going back to inhaling her portion of lunch in record time as the gray biped broke into chittering laughter, eventually easing out into words-

“Further than you can imagine~.”

I beg to differ.

“Feels like a lifetime ago, even thinkin’ about there. Much more mountainous than here, barren rock and harsh forests. My kind of place, my domain. I ruled it.”

“W-wait, you used to be royalty?”

Not the absolute brightest question she’d ever asked, sure, but Sue didn’t expect Daystar to treat it like a knee-slapper, shrinking a bit as her impromptu teacher kept laughing. Even Snowdrop joined in with a couple of chuckles after a while, though that didn’t last too long before it shifted over to concern, her eyes going wide as she suddenly realized something.

“D-Daystar, I don’t think she knows...”

“Pfft, ya I gathered~. No, not any societal position of power. Think, the natural one. Lowliest creatures feed on shrubbery, birds or small hunters on them. On those feed I, and on me... nothing. Almost nothing.”

As Daystar reminisced about the encounter that cost her right arm, Sue felt blood drain away from her face. What would back in her world be an innocuous admission was much more harrowing here by the knowledge of just how all-encompassing sentience and sapience were. An unknown amount of beings, personalities, hopes, and dreams, taken away from the world to prolong the existence of a single one.

And she just casually admitted it, not even to any shock from the rest of the group.

“H-h-how...”

“Strength to climb half a mountain in one go helps~, so does paralytic venom and knowing how to creatively apply it-“

“N-no! I-I meant, h-how can you just admit to something like that!?”

Sue had gone from shocked to distressed, scurrying backwards as her heart thrashed inside her chest. Daystar’s reaction was... largely exasperation, her unamused grumbling so far from what Sue considered an appropriate way of approaching that whole topic that she almost felt offended on behalf of an entire ecosystem.

“Easily. It’s how survival works, out in the wild. Moonview has its own rules, and this place inherited them. I swore an oath to the Dark Lord to follow them until the end of my days, but out there~? Nobody cares. ‘Tis just existence~.”

“A-and they just let you in!?”

“What else were they to do~?”

The veiled threat Sue thought she could sense in Daystar’s response stilled her further, though the only emotions that accompanied it were further exasperation.

“Refuse entry to every creature that had ever taken anyone else’s life, and you end up with a ton of prey trying to defend itself from dozens of predators wailing at their gates~. Permit it, and not only gain further safety from other hunters, but also effectively lower their number in the world by one. It’s the only reasonable approach~.”

A low, grim chuckle left the gray biped, claws lightly scraping against each other.

“Scratch most here, most in Moonview, and they’ll bleed someone else’s blood.”

The last comment plunged the gathering into stone-cold silence.

Sue was the largest reason behind that, but far from the only one. Most of the little ones were similarly uncomfortable with the mentions of predation and hoping they would never have to resort to it in their lives. There was always a possibility of that, of course, and there was no shortage of harrowing tales of hunger driving even the most unbreakable friendships to shatter one bite at a time, but their home was different.

Everyone hoped it was different, at least.

“And if that leaves me damned once it is my turn to stare Death in the eye... then so be it.”

Daystar’s voice was quieter, some of the somberness even making a couple pangs of guilt shoot through Sue for just a moment. As freaked out as she got, did Daystar ever have a choice, either? Hunting cabbage and peaches is an incomparably safer task than doing the same with living beings, however meek. Figures that if she’d could, she likely would’ve chosen it even if for pragmatic reasons. But she didn’t.

She couldn’t.

Maybe those “Usurper” cultists that Sundance had mentioned a few days ago had a point.

“I-I’m sorry.”

The gray one chuckled at Sue’s apology, a small smirk filling their mellow expression.

“It’s fine~. The world can be a hellish place. Regardless of what I once did, what I once was, all that matters is now~. And now, I sit amongst friends and allies, having promised the Dark Lord to only use my talents for protection. I much prefer this life, that’s for-“

*whiIIIIISTLE!*

The distant sound ringing from the direction of the clearing snapped the focus of most gathered. Daystar immediately stood upright and tried to make out anything through the trees, eyes squinting.

“Stuff’s happening~. High time we head over. Need help with the-“

“^I’ll help!^”

Without so much as asking for confirmation, Thistle got right into the swing of helping Sue out, regardless of whether she wanted her to. The Forest Guardian got forcefully lifted off the ground and gradually adjusted until she was roughly in a standing position, the once-human having very little say on the matter throughout. Finally, the crutch was moved up to her free hand, backwards, and she was let go of all at once.

It's a miracle I didn’t immediately crumple.

“C-could you ask next time!?”

“^O-oh. Sorry...^”

Sue’s question came through with more force and vitriol than she would’ve liked, even if she couldn’t wholly deny them being more than earned. Before either of them could dwell on that fact, the entire group headed back to the clearing, Snowdrop staying a fair distance behind the rest, just in case.

And her worries would be justified.

Sundance was quietly rocking in her seat as Solstice shook and glanced around uncomfortably, both getting immediately interrupted the moment they glimpsed Sue.

Guess she knew now how Snowdrop felt back there.

She couldn’t linger on that thought too long, not with the mayor going from surprised to alarmed. In what felt like an instant, she went from sitting in place to levitating in the air, her entire body and especially eyes enveloped in a fierce, blue aura.

“Woah, woah there Solstice, cool it. Sue there came over on her own, from what we know. Alastor harassed her a bit, but she’s unharmed.”

Ginger’s comment thankfully defused the situation before it would escalate further, though the mention of the fox’s actions nearly set the other Forest Guardian off again. Once Sue had made it through the small stretch of grass that separated them, she was immediately pulled into a tight and somewhat awkward side hug. Solstice’s spike laid flat against her front and ribs, its tip almost poking into Sue’s own red extremity.

“By the Pale Lady, Sue, are you alright!? What are you doing here!? Did Alastor-“

“I’m alright Solstice, I-I promise! I just wanted to come and help with the talks a-and got lost...”

Sue flinched at Sundance’s grumble near to her, though it didn’t take long until her warm fluff only added further to the group embrace.

“I knew I should’ve asked someone to look after you this morning, ugh. How’d you get here before us?”

“^I teleported her over after her run-in with Alastor.^”

Heather’s voice was as flat as ever, the small hug pile turning to face her shortly after as it slowly came apart. Right as Sue saw Solstice open her mouth to speak again, the tallest psychic answered the question before it could be asked-

“^She told me she was heading here, and I figured I’d help. As opposed to some places, anyone can come stop by here.^”

The callout hit true, Sue acutely feeling the mental flinch from the two women beside her. Sundance wouldn’t end up lingering on just that point for too long, though, not once she’d pulled out something from her arm fluff.

“Sorry for the suspicion. Admittedly, it’s hard to be as trustworthy today as I wish I could be.”

Sue glanced over to find Sundance holding... a feather. Orange, with a comically oversized shaft, and what looked like more fluff in the back, separated from the main vane. It all came together to look like an arrow-

And if it sticking into the wooden bench it was flicked onto was anything to go by, it might have very well been exactly that.

“Not with warning shots being fired right at our feet.”

Ginger’s immediate reaction was exasperation. The technicolor lizard’s reached over with his yellow arm to message spot immediately below the bottom of his crest with a drawn-out groan. Once that was done, it was time to call out again, to a very concrete suspect this time.

“Juniper! I know you’re here! Just show yourself and be an adult-“

The lizard didn’t even have to finish his sentence for his wish to be granted.

A green and brown blur swooped from a nearby branch in an instant, landing silently between their incidental party and the few buildings Newmoon had to show for itself. As they rose from their crouched pose, the very first thing Sue noticed were their piercing, red eyes. Far, far from a rare trait in this world, she knew that well, but these were seething with malice, glaring straight through her, her sixth sense collaborating the findings. It almost froze her to the spot there and then, Solstice’s arms holding her tighter as she examined the rest of the newcomer.

The greens and browns she’d glimpsed earlier came together to form a leafy hood and large wings, respectively, with the underlying avian body white. The more Sue looked, the more they reminded her of an owl of some sort, and it was a similarity that varied wildly in intimidation factor depending on just how pissed the subject in question was at the viewer.

Furious owls their usual size didn’t sound like a fun time. Ones taller than her felt like a murder in waiting.

“Care to explain that one, Juniper?” - Ginger might have been looking and pointing at the feather arrow that was now sticking out of the bench, but the owl didn’t spare either him or it even the slightest amount of attention. Instead, their glare shifted over to Solstice.

“How dare you show yourself here.” - Juniper’s voice was piercing, the poorly contained contempt dripping out with every sound.

“I believe we’re here to discuss exactly that, Juni, so how about you take a timeout and let the adults do the talking~?” - Despite the owl’s animosity, it went on unshared amongst the rest of the village, Daystar’s tone conveying several eye rolls in the span of a sentence.

Finally, the callout got Juniper to turn her glare over at the gray biped as everyone finished gathering. The purple scorpion completed what she’d seen of Newmoon so far, staring at the two recent arrivals with suspicion from beside Ginger. As she made her way over, though, Sue felt a couple pats on her shoulder, the pointing gesture that followed conveying Sundance’s instructions to Sue wordlessly.

In most other circumstances, she would’ve preferred to stay with them, try to help however she could, how she had initially set out to do... but with the awareness of just how much she’d potentially already messed up, she didn’t have it in her to oppose being told to sit this one out on the sidelines.

Pollux and most of the other little ones immediately scampering over to her the moment she’d sat down helped, too.

“Well! S’pose we can get it all started, eh? So- afternoon Solstice, Sundance. Your, eh... friend? Told us about your arrival ahead of time, and its purpose in broad strokes, but won’t hurt to put it in your own words.” - Ginger’s tone was as laid back as ever, the colorful lizard seemingly immune to the creeping tension of the scene.

Solstice closed her eyes and nodded, stepping forward half a step before speaking out, her voice dryer than Sue had ever heard it before.

“Greetings... everyone. That is broadly accurate, Ginger, yes. Our intent is to undo your exile and welcome you back in Moonview in whichever way you see appropriate.”

“Been a while~.” - Daystar chuckled dryly, having moved over onto the roof of one of the huts when nobody was looking.

“I know, Frostbite-“

“Daystar.” - The gray one’s tone was low and unamused, narrowing expression immediately conveying the faux pas.

“My apologies, Daystar.” - Even with it being an unintentional mistake, Solstice’s guilt over making it felt clear all the same. The genuine emotion melted through Daystar’s knee-jerk hostility, the once-predator taking a deep breath before continuing-

“Accepted, ‘tis fine~. Now... if what Sue said was to be taken on face value, you two are doing all this on your own?”

“Correct.” - Sundance’s reply was flat, the vixen rolling her shoulders as if preparing for something.

“Makes one doubtful of how serious this effort really is.” - Thorns’s features narrowed, the purple scorpion clicking her pincers together a couple times for emphasis.

“I can assure you Thorns, it is very serious, if way, way too late.” - Sue wasn’t used to the more fiery of her mentors being this sterile, Sundance’s usual cheer gone as her gaze moved across those gathered. It briefly focused over someone the younger Forest Guardian couldn’t make out from her vantage point, seemingly hiding behind one of the buildings, before some of the composure gave way to regret.

“Then why just you two?”

“Because we have to start somewhere. Other way around, and accusations of deciding for you behind your backs would be similarly grounded, on top of making a much weaker case in front of the council.” - Sundance’s answer was clearly rehearsed, the vixen having expected this exact question and maintaining the full extent of her composure. Which couldn’t quite be said for Solstice, the mayor shaking a bit as she forced herself to look back up at Thorns.

The response left the clearing in uneasy silence, but was effective in breaking through that particular objection. Regardless of how unserious this effort had looked initially, the two had indeed meant it, and that took much longer to chew through than a knee-jerk rejection of the entire idea.

“I hope you didn’t come in expecting us all to just forget about it and pretend to go back to how things were before.” - The hostility in Thorns’s voice was still clear, if less intense than before, Solstice flinching in response before speaking up-

“N-no, of course not. Only you know how you want to go forward from here, and what, if anything, you want from us.”

“^What can you offer, then?^” - Heather’s interjection was slightly less flat than before, the towering psychic’s emotions a mix of interest and hesitancy in approximately equal measure.

“Food, water, labor, agricultural supplies, building materials, textiles, knowledge, medical supplies. Being welcomed back home. Or, if you’d prefer, being left alone.” - Solstice’s list also felt rehearsed, but with it giving the speaker enough confidence to look night kin in the eye, nobody could really mind.

“We don’t need anything from you.” - If there was any more spite in Juniper’s words it would’ve overflowed her beak and dripped down her chin. Hostile as it was, though, it thankfully wasn’t the commonly held viewpoint.

“Says who?”

“Won’t say no to a gift or three.”

“Speak for yourself, birdbrain~.”

Thorns’s, Ginger’s, and Daystar’s responses made it clear that Juniper’s hostility was far from the only view held, Sue leaning in forward in her seat as she listened to the talks. Just like with Spark before, her hand immediately shifted to autopilot the moment the lil’ fox settled in on her lap. The dark fox’s fur tingled in an almost ticklish way, the odd sensations helping to uplift Sue.

Not much, of course, but every bit helped.

As much relief as Pollux was providing, though, it was offset by the seething fury Sue felt growing inside Juniper. The tips of her wings clenched as if they were hands as her entire body shook. Despite that, she remained quiet, letting the de facto leader of the village continue-

“S’pose it won’t hurt to settle on what kind of aid we’d all want then. For myself... good lumber is hard to get around these parts, nobody can really dig deep down for stone either. These, some proper tools for us to build and expand with... maybe a bite of Poppy’s or two. Think that’s it for me, for now. Daystar?” - In direct contrast from the owl, Ginger’s voice showed genuine interest, maybe even a bit of veiled excitement, his emotional disposition utterly unlike anyone else’s around.

“Saplings, seeds, tools to expand our little orchard with... Last winter got much too close for comfort, I’d rather never repeat that again~. That aside... what has been stolen from us. Our homes.”

“I am unsure what, in practical terms, do you mean by ‘your homes’.” - Sundance’s response was genuinely uncertain, the gray biped opening her mouth as if to speak a couple times, but without any sounds to accompany it.

“That’s... a good question, actually~. Hmm. Guess I’ll have to settle on having replicas built~.” - There was an air of well-needed levity to Daystar’s reply, as if her own insufficiently thought out question had amused her a decent bit.

Anything to loosen the atmosphere.

“Our homes aren’t the only thing you’ve stolen from us.” - Alastor appeared out of thin air in the time it took Sue to blink, the fierce-looking fox suddenly occupying a free space between the small campsite and the line of buildings. Sue could actually understand him for once, but that didn’t make him any less intimidating- the opposite, if anything.

His sudden appearance made the two emissaries recoil a step back before both their expressions narrowed, some of the hostility getting turned the other way. Despite both women wanting to do less than kind things to him after hearing of his assault, that’s not what they were here for. They took a moment to swallow their prides before Sundance replied.

“Night Father’s monument... will need repairs first, but it can be moved over, yes. As to your creations-“

A gesture from beside her cut Sundance off as Solstice’s tattoo’d hand grasped the metal circlet and held it forward, outstretched. The mayor glared straight through the larger night kin fox, the mix of emotions within her turbulent enough for even Sue to sense it. Hostility for having harmed her pupil, guilt over what had happened, triumph for finally getting over herself enough to start making things right. The emotional concoction sloshed around as she held the circlet out, finally accompanying it with a response a few moments later-

“We will return all we can, and that I promise.”

Despite the simplicity of the piece of jewelry, it had more weight to those gathered than Sue could even begin to imagine, especially if Alastor’s reaction was any sign. He reeled back initially, the long muzzle getting split by a surprised snarl, before his eyes went wide at the sight. His distrust of Solstice was palpable without the need for any psychics, but despite that, he was slowly pushing through it, step by step. Eventually, his clawed arm reached out just enough to grasp the item before his entire body retreated, clutching the circlet close.

The exchange took most gathered aback, but not Juniper, the owl’s glare as cold and piercing as ever. And, for once, it wasn’t just Sue that’d get unnerved by that.

“^She’s not usually this angry...^” - Thistle’s whisper sent a jolt through Sue, a glance downwards revealing the lil’ hat creature to have been pressing into her free side for the past... however long. Sue didn’t know how to react to that comment beyond feeling even more unnerved, the hand that wasn’t petting Pollux shifting gears to comfort Thistle instead.

“As for more... I believe Ginger and Daystar covered the bulk of our material needs succinctly. I know canvas, ore, and tinctures have been lacking too, but Jasper would know more about what we need, medicine-wise. Anything in specific you’d want to add to that, Jasper? Jasper?” - Thorns’s comment had those gathered start looking around in confusion, the person in question seemingly absent. Before the discussions would get interrupted for a search operation, though, the technicolor lizard took matters into his own mouth, voice flat as pavement even as it was raised-

“Jasper, come on. I know you’re hiding there. Don’t make me come over and drag you out.”

The creature that had eventually slunk their way from behind the buildings was... tricky to describe. Their very broad shouldered, bipedal build made Sue briefly think of a gorilla. Even the black color matched. At the same time, gorillas didn’t have massive fangs reaching down to their chin, green skin peeking out from underneath their fur, or noses and ears pointy enough to impale people on them.

Probably. I'm not a zoologist.

Beyond those elements of fantastic appearance, there was one more that Sue didn’t know how to describe. It was almost like the very shape of Jasper’s body wasn’t fully defined, some of his proportions shifting from moment to moment as if made of black fluid as opposed to solid tissue.

In almost every other context, all these details combined with a height on par with Sue’s would’ve made his appearance something straight out of a horror movie, and the once-human couldn’t deny that they were quite spooky here too, but... much of that fear factor was dampened by them visibly shaking and staring intently at the patch of dirt to his side instead, as if afraid to look at what laid straight ahead.

Though it wasn’t like ‘what laid straight ahead’ was doing any better in that regard.

Solstice stared down at the ground in a similarly pathetic way, shaking in place as if slapped and heckled. Their avoidant gazes conveyed a thousand words, none of which Sue had a dictionary on hand to translate, leaving her full of second-hand unease. Thankfully, before the moment would drag on for too long, the latest arrival finally forced himself to speak up-

“Th-that sounds a-about accurate, y-yes. B-bandages, herbs f-from other settlements we can grow ourselves, a f-few other substances. Should be enough t-to tend to any sick here...”

Sue had no idea how it was possible for a voice to simultaneously sound like a low, harsh growl of a savage beast and like terrified mumbles of a stammering teen, but, good Duck, Jasper had somehow managed that feat. As intense as that mismatch was, Sue would fortunately be spared from dwelling on it for too long, as Thorns spoke up again-

“I hope this one time donation isn’t all you two had in mind.”

“No, of course not, though we’ll have to iron out the details on anything further. At the very least, the exile would be formally undone, and those who wish to return will be able to. And, on that note, building a passage between Newmoon and Moonview. We want to honor your existence as an independent entity, with continual material support if you so desire. But, after what happened with Spark and Pollux, I will not settle for anything less than making them both feel safe in either settlement.” - Sundance’s words were firm, much more so than usual, her unusual stalwartness noted by those gathered.

“For what, letting your goons march on us and drive us out again when our guard is down!?” - Juniper’s accusation was pointed, but dull. The rest of Newmoon largely reacted with groans at her acting out once more.

Including, unexpectedly, Alastor.

“Quieten it, Juniper. I’d recommend you stop speaking over those you swore to protect.” - The dark fox’s voice wasn’t quite as seething as when addressing Solstice earlier, but it was definitely up there, taking the owl aback a few paces. Miraculously, the callout was sufficient to finally pop the Juniper’s steadily inflating fury, the turning of tension into shame making the assorted psychics breathe out a sigh of relief.

“Hmmm... continual aid, you say? What do you think, Ginger?” - Thorns’s tone was the least accusative Sue had heard yet, the offer providing a heaping pile of kindling for the fires of hope inside of a good chunk of those gathered.

“I like the sound of that. Ain’t opposed to expanding and making this little nook more of its own thing, while remaining on speaking terms.”

“Don’t know how much I care about expansion, but any aid will be appreciated~. Pfft~. Suppose undoing the exile helps the lil’ ones, but I sure can’t imagine anyone here choosing to go back willingly.” - Daystar chuckled at her own remark, grimly amused at that whole idea. Though… it didn’t take too long for her giggles to fade as the scene shifted into discomfort, most of those gathered knowing full well there was one person in particular that very much did want to return. The gray biped’s expression faltered as she glanced over at the furry not-gorilla, the latter’s body language even more hunched and skittish than before.

“Uh, sorry, Jasper~.”

The weak nods coming from the night kin in question made Sue feel sorry as she tried to remember where she’d last heard that name. It was when Sundance was explaining something to her a few days back, something about the history that resulted in the messy situation they were all taking a part in now-

Oh.

Figures him and Solstice can’t look at each other. There are messy break-ups, and then there’s... this.

“Yeaaaaah. And, uh, I dunno. I think I’d probably go back to Moonview if I could.” - Ginger’s addition was short, but it effortlessly snatched the attention of everyone gathered in a series of near simultaneous ‘WHAT!?’s that followed from most of the night kin village, Juniper’s addition especially loud. Sue might have stayed quiet there out of respect, but... couldn’t deny being just as curious and baffled as everyone else.

The lizard’s reaction was to roll his eyes and explain, as if it was the simplest thing in the world-

“Not in the sense that I’d only live there, of course. I’d bounce from here to there and back. Just that I’d prefer my home be there. Better food, better safety, quite a lot of friends, never ran out of building work.”

“After everything they’d done to you!?” - Juniper’s question was almost shouted out, the intensity of the betrayed rage within making Sue and Solstice alike lean away from the owl. Despite the harshness of the words and their accusatory tone, all Ginger could do is shrug and reply, voice as calm as ever-

“I mean, yeah, resentment never really stuck to me. I don’t know. Maybe that’s wrong of me. Maybe I should be so pissed off I can’t see straight and let grudges dictate my every life choice. Maybe I should dedicate my every waking hour towards making myself as angry as possible and not care about the quality of my one life in this miserable world. Maybe Death judges based on how outraged someone was during their life, I don’t fucking know. All I know is that I can’t bring myself to do or be any of these. That’s it.”

Ginger’s voice was more spirited than Sue had ever heard it be before- which is to say, slightly raised. As interesting as that whole philosophical subject was to consider in the abstract, nobody around was exactly pining to do so in the moment, settling on giving Ginger some variation of a weird look.

Nobody... aside from Juniper.

“H-HOW CAN YOU LET THEM TEAR US APART LIKE THAT!?”

“Cool it, birdbrain~.”

“^Nobody is tearing anyone apart.^”

“If that’s what Ginger truly desires, it is his life, and his choice to make, not yours. Regardless of how much you, or anyone else, agree with it.”

Daystar’s and Heather’s snark might have only further annoyed the owl, but Thorns’s comment... made her go quiet. Her emotions quickly cooled as if held under running water, even some of her shaking easing out as her body language shrunk.

“Understood, Thorns.”

“^Don’t worry Miss Sue, I think Miss Juniper has calmed down!^”

Before Sue could chew through Thistle’s reassurance, the purple scorpion moved the conversation forward again.

“Would this be it for this discussion, then?”

“I... believe so, Thorns, yes. Unless there’s another detail that you or anyone else wish to discuss.” - Solstice’s voice was calm and ever so slightly whispered, as if its owner didn’t quite believe what was happening.

“Nothing comes to mind at the moment. Ginger?”

“Same-o. Seems we’ve settled on something reasonable after all. Now, it’s your turn to convince Moonview to go along with it.”

Both Solstice and Sundance nodded firmly at that summary. This was just the easy part, and they knew it, but the success here lit up a fire of motivation inside them and most others all the same. Regardless of how nightmarish the past and its sins have been, it finally looked like there was a light at the end of the tunnel, for everyone gathered. There was a lot of understandable worry, sure, the reasonable pessimism about how well would all this work out.

Now, it had to coexist with hope.

Her mentors, Daystar, Thistle, Snowdrop still hiding behind a nearby tree, all hopeful, infectiously so.

“Indeed.”

“Well, now that the formalities are done, care for lunch?” - Ginger’s comment marked a release of tension and the end to the crucial discussion, those gathered mostly beginning to disperse. Unfortunately for Sue’s stomach, however, the lizard’s offer would have to be declined-

“I don’t think that’d be too appropriate of us. Thank you for hearing us out, Ginger. We’ll be on our way.”

“Sure thing, Sundance. Was nice to see you again, both of you. Safe travels, and... good luck with Root.”

“Thank you. Doubt we’ll persuade him specifically, but outvoting feels very likely.”

“I like the sound of that. Don’t forget your impromptu herald over there, ha!”

Ginger’s remark had the attention of the two women snap over at Sue for the first time in what felt like ages, the sight immediately relieving some of their tension. Sundance gestured for her to follow along, the once-human only now realizing just how tense even she’d gotten watching that entire exchange, having difficulty walking straight after getting up and saying their goodbyes to the little ones.

“I’m so sorry that you’ve had to deal with Alastor, a-are you alright Sue?”

The younger Forest Guardian could palpably sense the worry and anxiety in Solstice’s mind turn into concern by the moment. The mayor stopped to hold her tight once more as Sundance walked further ahead, giving the two a soft smile after turning back to face them.

“Y-yeah, I’m alright, I-I promise. It was terrifying, and it hurt, but I wasn’t harmed, I think.”

“To strike someone innocent while they’re defenseless and not even who he’d held his grudge against... don’t know how I’d ever respected him.” - Sundance’s comment was damning, but it was hard to deny its accuracy, Sue left just nodding her head.

“P-Pollux intervened, thankfully. G-guess that’s repayment for my intervention, h-heh-”

“I won’t let you take my home from me again.

The snarled words snapped Sue’s eyes wide open, gaze jumping over to their source. Juniper held one wing vertically, its tip clutching something green as the other-

Pulled back an arrow feather.

Time slowed to a crawl as Sue watched the owl fire, the projectile’s orange tip immediately becoming surrounded with dark, seething energy. It left a purple tracer as it rocketed forward, too fast for her to react, aimed straight at Solstice’s back. Right as the once-human tried to push her mentor out of the line of fire, she saw her begin to glow brightly in the corner of her eye. The light intensified as her own body finally found the strength to act-

But only pushed on thin air, Solstice gone a blink later, her aura now behind Sue.

An instant later, the arrow flew through where the older Forest Guardian used to be a split-second ago, its spectral energies surging as it nicked the very edge of Sue’s fin. She felt molten knives stabbing her spine and mind, expression twisting to scream as she began collapsing-

But the arrow kept going.

As she fell, she sensed Sundance’s aura be nearly extinguished in an instant; the wise, loving flames of her presence reduced to a couple of embers. Sue writhed as she landed on the grassy dirt, another wave of suffering filling her body as her head impacted the ground.

She heard Sundance collapse near her.

She heard the thud of her crutch following her down.

She heard Solstice shriek for help.

And then, there was only silence.


If you're confused about the species of the characters and want them spoiled, I've set up a page listing the species of all the featured characters in each chapter!

If you want to discuss the story, I've set up a Discord server for it! (and my other writings)

Also check out my other main fic, From the Vast!

12