Chapter 4 – The KLF
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hearing my reply, his expression changes.

"The KLF!" he exclaims. 

I stare at him and wait for him to elaborate.  He does not.

"Non sequitur", I prompt. 

He grimaces.

"Do you not know the King Luis Family?" 

"I do not.  Why should I?"

"They are... special like you."

Like me?  I wonder if that is true.  As far as I know, no other trial participant is currently in Boge.  They usually tell us these things to avoid unnecessary accidents. 

"King Luis Family ?  Do they use the term loosely to describe their organization or are they blood-related?" 

"I only know rumors, but from what I've heard, they consider themselves part of the same noble lineage.  If you want to join as a member, you need to be adopted by another noble."

"Thus far, they do not seem all that interesting..." 

What did I expect?  This fella is obviously a small fry.  If I wish to discover this city's secrets, I will need to find a bigger fish... 

"W-wait!  I said they are like you, because, like you, they are more than human."

Oh?  More than human?  That description is unexpectedly apt. 

"How so?" 

"They possess enormous strength and speed.  No one knows why.  Some people say it's genetic modification, but their strength is beyond that of GenDecs."

Now that is interesting.  GenDecs are already made of the best the human gene pool has to offer.  Of course, I know that they started producing new soldiers based on the results of our trial that are capable of much more.  Could this KLF be related?

"How much strength are we talking about?" 

"Someone saw their King punch through someone's chest."

Based on my limited understanding of physics, that would mean their body composition fundamentally differs from that of natural human beings.

After all, if you want to punch through something, you need your hand to be denser than that object, lest it go splat.

"Alright, I'm interested."

If those people successfully modified the human genome to produce viable subjects capable of such a feet, that might change things.  

In normal time, I am twenty-three years old.  They officially started studying the changes in our genomes when I turned eight.  Of course, there is no guarantee they told us the truth... 

I will need to investigate this, but I doubt they would let the cream of their crop run some kind of crime ring in Boge.

"Aside from their physical qualities, what else are they known for?" 

"Assassination, gambling, drugs,... They run this city's underworld."

"And the government?" 

"This is not your Federation.  I bet half the government is part of the KLF.  Rumors are that the president is a Viscount." 

Viscount is a noble title between Baron and Count.  It's moments like these that I am happy to have memorized a dictionary.

"Well, lead the way."

"Umm... where?" 

I look at him incredulously.

"We spent the last few minutes talking about the KLF and you ask me where I want to go?" 

"I-I know a g-gambling ring that is r-run by them..."

"The king."

He looks at me with blatant disbelief.  I don't understand.  What did he expect then?  He spent all this time telling me about the KLF and their king to get me interested, and now that I am, he acts all shocked?  Ridiculous.

"I asked you to recommend me an interesting place, not to tell me a story.  If you don't have anything to show..."

"I really don't know where the King is, but I know where you can find a count!"

Finally.  Why didn't he say that to begin with?

"Then get up and lead the way."

...

After stealing a car and driving for twenty minutes, we arrive at a nightclub.  Unfortunately, the closest parking spot is one street over, so we need to walk a little.

The closer we get the more nervous my guide grows.  How can I tell?  He is shivering and keeps on stopping.  I sigh. 

"Show me a picture of that count." 

"I don't have one, but you will be able to tell.  He likes to show off, so he is always surrounded by women, and his private lounge is the largest."

That should do.

"He owns the place, correct?" 

"Yes.  I heard it belongs to a baron under him."

Are all small fries in this city aware of such things or is this one especially well-informed?

Anyhow, since I no longer need this fella, it is now time to either dispose of him or let him go... 

"Throw a coin."

He blinks a few times before pulling out a coin and throwing it in the air.

"Clatter!" 

It hits the ground.  I should have told him to catch it. 

"Tell me if it's head or tails."

He crouches down and looks at it.

"It's tails."

Lucky you!  Had it been head, he would be dead. 

I hand him a flip phone, courtesy of the fella from the airport.

"Enter your phone number."

With shaking fingers, he inputs his number and returns the phone. 

"Good, you can scram.  Of course, should you fail to take my calls, I may very well hunt you down."

He nods frantically.  A few seconds later, he turns around and slowly walks away, looking over his shoulder again and again until he turns the corner.

On to greater things! 

I put the phone away and walk up to the club's entrance.  Four tall and well-trained bouncers man the door, so I flash them my best smile and ask, 

"Do they serve whiskey in there?"  

The leftmost bouncer mutters "Mailan" and something that's probably a swear word, but responds, 

"Of course, Sir.  Our establishment can offer you a wide selection of drinks."

After a quick perusal of my casual clothing and bag, he adds dismissively, 

"However, this is a nightclub and not a bar...  There is a dress code."

I give him a beaming smile and take out "my" wallet.  Paying with gems would be much too suspicious.  The airport fella was only carrying a few hundred bucks.  Still, the Mailan currency is much stronger.  It should suffice. 

I hand each of the men a crips $100 bill. 

"Please, I need to get drunk ASAP."

Seeing that I am not a broke tourist, the men grin at me.  Again it is the leftmost bouncer who takes the lead.  Maybe the rest doesn't speak Mailish?

"Welcome to The Estate." 

He makes a sweeping gesture, beckoning me to enter. 

Royalty or revolution?
  • Royalty Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revolution Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0