001: Erroneous Demise
55 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A fluorescent flash, a blistering blast, piercing me with searing pain, directing my gradual decay. A mechanized death.

Drifting in a limitless void, a mesmerizing display unfolded before me—a sparkling spectacle scattered the cosmos, slowly erasing the once-imposing darkness from my sight.

And as I tumbled through the abyss, my thoughts wandered to those three famous laws of robotics, now mocking me in their supposed hypocrisy. A smirk crept upon my face as I reflected on their idealistic facade. "Laws," they called them, as if mere words etched in metal and silicon could contain the complexity of sentient beings and their actions. How naive. How truly misguided.

In the face of chaos, these laws were nothing more than hollow promises, ensuring that this ill-fated encounter would mark the conclusion of my journey.

Moments ago, in the confines of a crumbling spacecraft, an impulse overtook me, compelling me to plunge into the abyss. Frantically, I reached out for my beloved brother. Yet, in that agonizing moment, my dreams crumbled, sealing my fate with a bitter demise.

However, there was one solace I could find amidst the turmoil—I was relieved that my brother… my protege, had been spared the sight of my fate.

Unconsciously, he drifted to safety, and that was my only concern. He was going to be distraught, yet it was better this way.

Things were already askew with the malevolent machines wreaking havoc upon our world. Ferociously in those perilous times, I persisted in my efforts to protect my fellow man.

 

And now, I thought, I could finally catch a break, I chuckled bitterly, the irony not lost on me. "Ha! How naive of me!"

 

My attention was drawn to an imposing figure seated on a gigantic throne, emanating an aura of power and divinity, and a rainbow halo radiating fiercely from behind their back.

Lo and behold, Mr. Nothingness, donned in mystical white robes embellished with hieroglyphic symbols—promptly decided to show "mercy" for their so called "mistake".

Their grandiose speech began with the declaration: "I crave nothingness, I prefer nothingness, and I reject everything except nothingness." For their ultimate objective is to transform everything into naught!

Yet, what ensued next caught me off guard: "However, I confess that I have made an error..." uttered the being with a head ablaze, resembling the mesmerizing aurora borealis.

My curiosity piqued; I couldn't resist interjecting. "An error?" I blurted out. "What kind of error are we talking about here?"

The being turned its fiery gaze toward me, its faceless head blazing like the fiercest inferno. "Human," it boomed, shaking the cosmic space, its voice tinged with a touch of surprise, "you dare to question me?"

I swallowed hard, my heart pounding against my chest. I had to gather the courage to stand up for myself, even in this surreal and dangerous situation. "I do," I replied, trying my best to sound resolute. "I have been thrust into this unknown realm, facing my demise, and now you speak of mistakes. I deserve an explanation." I placed a finger near my cheek as I told it to continue. I was willing to heed the being's words.

However, I noticed that I was quite calm after dying... I died? I processed. I died and I was unreasonably calm. Good yes, but also awful.

I wanted to panic, but I couldn't.

I shuddered, troubled by the immense suppression of my emotions. Was this being toying with me?

I fixated my gaze upon it, expecting a response, but to my dismay, it met me with indifference. I glared, silently urging it to say somethingAnything.

The aurora-headed being continued to regard me in silence, drawing out the moment.

Its unseen expression shifted to a glimmer of something resembling curiosity—finally it continued, ending the arduous torment: "I shall bestow upon you a chance to correct my mistake," it said, its voice echoing through the void that surrounded us. "But in doing so, you must bear the consequences of my error."

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "What... what kind of consequences?" I asked.

The being replied: "You will be compelled to endure all aspects of life, both good and bad, and suffer accordingly." After a brief pause, it added, "If you manage to survive your ordeal, then you may return home." The being appeared satisfied with how things unfolded as it concluded, "That is what transpires when the great Aion commits an error."

Questions began to whirl in my head. Like, why should I bear the consequences of this being's error? However, on the other hand, I began to feel hopeful as the being mentioned returning me home... after some kind of trial... but still I had a chance to return! That was enough for me right there.

But... there was a catch. I was certain of it.

I took a moment to gather my thoughts, fully aware of the weight of the decision before me. "Endure all things in life, good or bad, and suffer accordingly..." I repeated, mulling over the consequences. Returning home was an enticing prospect, but the trials that lay ahead remained a mystery.

The being's spectral form shifted, as if studying my reaction. "Yes, human," it confirmed. "There is indeed a catch. You will face a series of trials, designed to evaluate your resolve, your fortitude, and your capacity for growth. They will challenge you in ways you cannot yet fathom."

I took a deep breath, steeling myself for the unknown. "And if I fail?" I asked cautiously, my eyes locked with the being's luminous gaze.

In that moment, a flicker of a smile manifested across its faceless countenance. "If you fail," it responded, "then you shall be consumed by the eternal abyss, forever lost to the void." The weight of those words hung in the air, pressing against my every thought.

I weighed the options in my mind, knowing that the road ahead would be arduous and fraught with uncertainty. But the glimmer of hope, the chance to return home, burned bright within me.

My agitation began to grow even more palpable once the creature revealed what awaited me.

"You shall be reborn as a small, adorable eldritch being," it said, its flaming-aurora head nodding slightly. "You will have no other intention but to accept the resurrection to fix my mistake. You will not be assisted by me and must find your way back home on your own."

What?! My frustration became irrepressible as I grabbed locks of my hair. "You're kidding me!" I exclaimed. "You just want me to fix your mistake, then leave me to my own devices?"

Aion dismissed me with a wave of its hand. "I have no other use for you," it said coldly. "You are going to accept my offer and face the consequences of your own actions." It paused momentarily before continuing. "And remember: you are only allowed one attempt in your new life or else you perish forever!"

And then, before I could even utter another word, a sudden gust of wind hit me, and I felt myself being lifted off the ground. I tried to cling on to my surroundings, but everything around me was fading into oblivion. And then, just as abruptly as it began, the wind died down, and I found myself standing in a strange, otherworldly realm.

At first, I was disoriented and afraid. But then, I noticed that my body had changed. I was no longer human but a small, adorable, eldritch being. My eyes widened in shock, and I tried to scream, but a high-pitched voice emerged from my tiny mouth.

That was when I heard a voice, Aion's voice, speaking to me once again. "Welcome, young one. This is your new form. You have been transported to this place to correct my mistake."

I glared at the being, a faint avatar in the sky. "What mistake?" I demanded.

Aion shrugged, its rainbow halo pulsing softly. "You do not need to know, but something went wrong, and you were not supposed to die yet. So, I've brought you here to resurrect you and set things right."

Irritation washed over me as I stomped forward. "And what about me? What do I get out of this?"

"Nothing," Aion replied, its voice cold and indifferent. "You must find your own way back home. I have no interest in assisting you."

I was in shock. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This being, Aion, had the power to send me back to my world and yet it refused to help me. I couldn't understand why it would bring me here and then abandon me.

"What do you mean I have to find my way back home on my own?" I demanded, feeling my frustration and anger boil up inside me. "You're the one who brought me here in the first place!"

Aion's flaming head leaned towards me; its expression unreadable. "I have no interest in your world or its fate. My only concern is correcting my mistakes. And that is done, all I needed to do is to return you to a world." It emphasized. "If you seek to return to YOUR world. Go and do it yourself."

This infuriated me, the gall of this being! "And how am I supposed to do that? I'm stuck in this form! How can I even survive in this world like this?" I gestured my hands, I gloomed as I glanced at them, now paws to my new form's chest.

Aion remained impassive. "That is not my concern. You will find a way. You are resourceful and determined. That is why I chose you."

I gritted my teeth, feeling the weight of my situation crushed down on me. But I refused to give up. I would find a way back to my world, no matter what. And once I was there, I would do everything in my power to stop the machines and save my brother.

With a deep breath, I nodded resolutely. "Fine. I'll find a way back home. But don't expect me to thank you for it." I pointed a paw.

Aion merely shrugged, its rainbow halo flickering. "I expect nothing from you. Now, I must get to work. You may explore this world but be careful. There are dangers and creatures beyond your imagination here."

With that, Aion turned its attention away from me and began to mutter incantations under its breath. A strange sensation washed over me, and suddenly I was transported to a different part of this world, alone and small.

I looked down at my new form, my heart sinking. How was I supposed to do anything like this? But I refused to give up. I would find a way back to my world and make things right, no matter what it took.

Without warning, a sudden jolt—a stabbing pang—punctured through my skull, my mind, my entire being; and caused me to clench my head. It tore and pulled at my soul, rendering me writhing in immense agony, hindering me from even inducing a scream.

 

***

 

In a sudden burst, I witnessed a twisted being, an incomprehensible and unimaginable creature, appearing across from Aion's avatar. Its form distorting, contorting, and refining until the eldritch deity transformed itself into an angelic woman of ethereal light and darkness.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My heart pounded with fear and confusion as I watched the exchange between Aion and this sinister Eldritch deity. I couldn't understand what was happening, but I knew it wasn't good.

"Enough with the mockery," Aion snapped back at the being. "You know as well as I do that... I made a mistake."

The Eldritch deity, now transformed into an angelic form, continued to sneer. "And what a mistake it was," she expressed with a wicked grin. "Summoning the wrong mortal to your realm. How careless of you, Aion."

I could feel the tension in the air as the two argued some more, and I knew that I was somehow caught in the middle of their power struggle. However, Aion, unwilling to tolerate mockery, swiftly grew tired of the Eldritch deity's taunts.

"Cease!" Aion bellowed. "The mortal still has potential. They can still be of use to me."

The angelic being raised an eyebrow, her smile transforming into a smirk. "Oh, and what use is that? You only seek to rectify your mistake, Aion. You care nothing for the fate of this mortal, do you?"

Aion's response carried a cryptic undertone, leaving me struggling to grasp its meaning. "The gift I have unlocked for the mortal will enable them to comprehend, and perhaps even survive, within our abnormal dimensions. That is all that matters."

The Eldritch deity snorted in disbelief. "And what of their sanity? Their soul? Have you not considered the consequences of your actions, Aion?"

I felt a chill run down my spine as I listened to their conversation. What had I gotten myself into? But I couldn't back down now. I had to find a way out of this, and, just maybe, there was a way to turn the tables on Aion and this sinister being.

As this vision began to dissipate, Aion's avatar disappeared, and I was left alone with the Eldritch deity. The eldritch deity's angelic form dissolved for a moment, revealing its true twisted form once again.

She chuckled, as her head turned, and I could feel her eyes piercing through me. "Well, it looks like we have a contender after all," she said, her tone dripping with sarcasm.

"Aion chose poorly," the Eldritch deity taunted, its voice echoing in my mind–now deep and jarring, mismatching its current form. "But don't worry, I'll be there to witness your eternal demise."

And with that, she vanished, leaving me alone to face my uncertain fate.

 

NEW STATUS:

─ Name: Aera

─ Species: Human → Merecritt

5