007: Escape Route
9 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked around frantically, trying to find an escape route. But all I could see was dense jungle and the towering figures of the Tropiruth and the Barbapts that were closing in on us. Time was running out and I needed to think, think quickly!

And as I observed the two species ahead and behind us, I was quick to pick something out.

It was a quick assessment, but the Tropiruth were watching—slow and glacial in their movements. The (Uncommon) Tropiruth at the front were directing their (Common) counterparts.

To me it could have been interpreted as: To hold, to wait, it seemed—and of course, I had learned from my previous encounter with them. Surely, these weren't as different from the ones I had met when I first set foot in this dimension, they were an ambusher species, so that might mean..?

"Turn around Doervus." I declared while riding on the back of the Eldriyssal deer. "We are turning back to confront the Barbapt. Trust me I have an idea." I turned to see the Barbapt who were right on our heel.

The Doervus looked at me with uncertainty, but it seemed to trust my judgement. "What's your plan?" it asked—its voice low and cautious.

"We lure the Barbapts towards the Tropiruth and use them as a distraction," I explained quickly. "The Tropiruth will take care of the Barbapts, giving us a chance to escape." I had great certainty that the Barbapts would pursue, it was something I noticed from their erratic behavior from our battle, something easily exploited—angering them was an easy prospect.

The Doervus nodded slowly, understanding my plan. "Alright then. Let's move quickly."

With a fierce and dulcet roar, the Doervus turned and charged towards the Barbapts while I clung onto its antlers. I could see the disbelief in the Barbapts' body language as the Doervus’s size intimidated them—not expecting our sudden dash towards them.

Yet these eyeless creatures were swift to bare their teeth as a haze blew out from their howling mouths.

I grinned mischievously, summoning a small bolt of lightning, [Doom Zap], and directing it towards the group of Barbapts. They released high-pitched screams, before turning to face us with their teeth bared in a snarl.

"Come and get us, you ugly little things!" I taunted, while making sure that the Doervus stayed out of from their reach as we made a sharp U-turn. "Can't catch us, can you?"

The Barbapts growled, clearly angered and frustrated by my taunts. They charged towards us; their claws extended.

As we entered the territory of the Tropiruth, their single eyes’ pivoted towards us—their attention piqued.

The (Uncommon) among them motioned with their limbs, signaling to the (Common) Tropiruth to hold and wait—just as I had predicted. That was a relief.

I urged the Doervus forward, leading the Barbapt toward the Tropiruth.

As the Barbapt approached, the Tropiruth seemed to take notice of them, and let out a low trumpet noise as a warning.

I could hear the pounding of the trailing Barbapt's footsteps behind us as we ran—their howls and screeches echoing through the forest, and I saw that we were getting too close to the Tropiruth. As we approached them, I could feel their eyes on us, watching us carefully as we ran past.

The Doervus took off at full speed in one direction as I turned my head to confirm that the Barbapt were in the Tropiruth's range.

The Barbapts rushed towards the Tropiruth, their dagger-tipped claws slashing and slicing shallowly into the thick bark of the tree-creatures. The Tropiruth fought back with their own branch-like limbs and razor-sharp teeth, resulting in a chaotic battle between the two species.

The Tropiruth's massive branches clashed with the Barbapts' daggers and harmful breath, creating a dissonance of noise as the creatures fought. The Tropiruth were slow and lumbering, but their strength and size made up for their lack of speed. The Barbapts were fast and agile, but their weapons were no match for the Tropiruth's thick wooden bodies and roots that pierced through the Barbapt bodies.

With no (Uncommon)-ranked Eldriyssals among the Barbapt ranks, it began to become a one-sided battle as the greater variants of the Tropiruth unleashed their spikes, tearing apart and crushing the Barbapt with ease.

My plan had worked, and we had managed to escape the clutches of the Barbapts and Tropiruth. But we were not out of danger yet.

Carrying on with our departure, the Doervus and I slipped away unnoticed while the two species fought it out between them. We rushed towards the safety of the rainforest as the sounds of battle echoed behind us.

Eventually, we reached a river in the forest, where we paused for a moment to catch our breaths.

I breathed a sigh of relief, feeling the adrenaline slowly fading from my body. I looked over at the Doervus, who was standing tall and proud, its antlers still sparking with electricity. Despite the chaos that had just unfolded, it was clear that the Doervus was in its element, a true warrior at heart.

I could not help feeling gratitude towards it for being such a reliable ally in battle. It was hard not to.

"I don't know what I would have done without you, Doervus," I said, my voice soft with emotion. "You're an amazing creature and I'm lucky to have you by my side." I breathed.

The Doervus snorted, flicking its antlers in a gesture of dismissal. "Don't be silly, Aera. It's just a natural instinct for me to protect my allies. And besides, you fought well too. I underestimated you because of your size, but you proved to be a formidable fighter." It proceeded to bend and nudged me with its snout, "You have proven yourself to be a worthy companion in the battle for survival."

I smiled gratefully at the Doervus. I may have been turned into a Merecritt, but I was still a fighter at heart.

"That was intense," I said, with a heavy sigh as I looked up at the Doervus. "I didn't realize to the full extent as to how dangerous those creatures were. It was as if there were no end to them."

The Doervus nodded, its breath coming in ragged gasps, "Unfortunately, the Barbapt are a common sight in these parts. But your quick thinking saved us from misfortune, Aera. I never would have thought of using the Tropiruth as a distraction."

I grinned up at the Doervus. "Sometimes, the best ideas come from thinking outside the box," I said, patting its leg affectionately.

The Doervus cautiously surveyed our new location, its eyes darting around, searching for other threats. "That was too close," it growled. "Too close for comfort."

I nodded in agreement, my body gradually relaxing as the danger subsided. I plopped down onto my rear and leaned against the Doervus.

It was then that the Doervus leaned forward again, and this time, I was lifted me off the ground, super-easily like a kitten—to my absolute despair, as the Doervus placed me gently on its back, we made our way deeper into the woods.

I blinked momentarily, processing what had occurred.

Oh, how humiliating! I covered my face with my paws, my cheeks burning with embarrassment. Why? Why did it do that?

Even then…

I couldn't deny that the Doervus’s back was a comfortable ride. Its intentions were good, done with the purpose of assisting me. Nonetheless...

I needed to make something clear…

"Hey, Doervus." I began.

The Doervus turned its head slightly to signify it was listening. "Yes, Aera?"

"Do not ever do that again," I gave the Doervus a gentle smile. "Please."

"Do, what-" It suddenly shuddered, as if sensing the true meaning behind my words and the strong emotions emanating from me. Were the Eldriyssals sensitive to such things?

I calmed myself, understanding now that I was making the Doervus uncomfortable. "I mean, don't lift me up like a kid," I clarified, chuckling softly. "It's embarrassing and it is something I don't like… at all." I sighed as I blinked.

 

I sprinted through the debris-laden streets, my heart pounding in my chest. The city was a battleground, filled with the clashing sounds of gunfire and the relentless pursuit of machines. My instincts kicked into overdrive as I dodged and weaved between crumbling buildings, desperate to evade their mechanical grasp.

My brother, NX655, ran beside me, his footsteps echoing in rhythm with mine. We were the last remnants of a once-thriving resistance force, fighting tooth and nail to protect what little was left of humanity.

But no matter how skilled we were, the machines were merciless. They moved with cold, calculated precision, relentlessly hunting down any sign of human life.

Suddenly, from the shadows, a hulking machine emerged. Its metallic limbs gleamed under the pale moonlight, its red optic sensors scanning the surroundings. It was one of the deadliest models we had encountered—a Hunter Unit (9B1).

Without warning, the Hunter Unit lunged toward me, its razor-sharp claws outstretched. I tried to evade its grasp, but its movements were too swift, too calculated. The machine's claws closed around my leg with a bone-crushing grip, lifting me off the ground.

Pain seared through my body as I dangled helplessly, my mind racing to find a way out of this dire situation. The Hunter Unit's cold, mechanical grip threatened to crush me, its grip unyielding.

"Kenneth!" I cried out, my voice laced with desperation.

My brother reacted swiftly. He unleashed a barrage of gunfire at the Hunter Unit, aiming for its weak points with deadly accuracy. The machine momentarily faltered, its grip on me loosening just enough for NX655 to pry me free after enacting a 4 meter leap.

Together, we fought back, unleashing a relentless assault on the Hunter Unit. Bullets ricocheted off its metallic armor, sparks flying in all directions.

Finally, with a final burst of firepower, the Hunter Unit collapsed to the ground, motionless. Its resulting explosion sent us flying, and I crashed with pangs to the pavement, gasping for breath. My leg throbbed the most with pain, but relief washed over me. I had escaped the clutches of the Hunter Unit, thanks to my brother's swift action.

 

The thought of being plucked off the ground... dangling upside down as a metallic claw gripped tightly around my leg. I shuddered, shoving the memories aside.

"Of course, Aera," the Doervus expressed a low, harmonious laugh, causing its antlers to quiver slightly. "I apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable. It was just my way of ensuring your safety, nothing more."

I frowned for a moment, then smiled, feeling warmth in my chest. Despite the dangers that we had just faced, I felt comforted knowing that I had such a dependable gentle-deer by my side.

I sighed. "I know, Doervus. I appreciate it. I'm just not used to being treated like a kid, that's all." Before becoming a Merecritt, I died at the age… huh... around my mid-20s? I lost track, I never cared for it and I was too occupied to keep track of that anyways. Oh, well.

The Doervus nodded, "I understand. But you must remember that you are still a Merecritt, and your size makes you vulnerable. We must take extra precautions to protect you."

Underestimating me again, I see? I thought. Maybe this was another advantage to having this form?

I nodded, slightly agreeing with its point. "Gotcha, Doervus. I'm grateful for your protection. It's just going to take some time getting used to, that's all. At least give me a warning next time when you are going to do such a thing."

The Doervus let out a chantlike laughter, a haunting thing I needed to get used to, "I promise to try and be more mindful of your feelings in the future, Aera. I'm still learning how to get used to such a strange Merecritt as yourself. The alternative would have been for you to be eaten." It snorted.

"Was that a joke I heard?" I smirked, gripping onto the Doervus's fur as we continued on our journey. A joke right? My eyes narrowed. What safeguards did the Nexus truly grant me with my bonds?

ELDRIYSSAL SUB-NAME TYPE RANK NATURAL ATTRIBUTE (s) EVOLUTION STAGE BOND STATUS

 

"Doom Deer" Preda-Prey F Lightning "1" ALLY


Type? Evolution stage, and attribute..? Those are new.

The Doervus began to emit a droning sound, "Like I said, you are strange, and it seems like I am picking up a thing or two from you."

“Surely it must be some good traits, hm?” I replied, smiling.

“Who knows?” The Doervus snorted.

With that, we pressed on through the forest, the Doervus skillfully navigating the thick foliage while we kept a keen eye out for any potential dangers.

Despite the close call with the Barbapts and Tropiruth, I couldn't help feeling excited about exploring this new dimension—even if it was perilous. There was still so much to discover and learn about Zeldritch, and I hoped to make the most of my time here.

As we journeyed on, the sights in this rainforest were simply captivating. I marveled at the beauty of this new world that had unfolded before me. The trees were tall and majestic, their leaves rustling gently in the breeze. While the crystals that embellished the ground glistened with a great brilliance. It was with a glance to the sky above I witnessed an incredible shade of purple, with several hues of blue clouds swirling aimlessly across it.

Zeldritzon was such a stark contrast to the bleak and desolate world I had come from.

In my past life, everything was mechanized and regimented. Nature had taken a backseat to the machines, and there was no beauty to be found in the world around me. But here, in Zeldritch, there was an abundance of life and vitality.

Humming, the Doervus stopped, seeming to sense my thoughts and nodded its head in agreement. "This world is full of wonders, Aera," it said. "And while it may not be perfect, it is still a world worth exploring."

I smiled, anticipation building up inside of me. Zeldritch was full of strange and dangerous creatures, yet I had only just scratched its surface.

But I was determined to survive, to find a way back home, while uncovering the secrets of this world. For now, I would rest and enjoy the comfort of the Doervus's back, grateful for its company and protection. As we traveled deeper into the unknown, I knew that new challenges awaited us, but I was ready to face them head-on, with the Doervus by my side.

My attention then drifted to the water dripping on us. To my relief, the purple droplets were safe, harmless little things. Even the Doervus looked unbothered as it began to rain down upon us.

Searching the area, I tapped the Doervus's neck—before climbing up its head to point over to an area for shelter as I went to ask it.

"Hey, Doervus," I called out, patting the eldritch deer's head. "See that over there? It looks like a good spot for us to take shelter from the rain. What do you think?"

The Doervus turned its majestic head, its eyes gazing in the direction I pointed. It let out a soft, melodic hum, as if contemplating my suggestion. Then, with a nod, the Doervus began to trot gracefully toward the sheltered area.

I held onto the Doervus's antlers tightly as we navigated through the dense vegetation of the UvoSath rainforest. The vibrant, aberrant flora surrounded us, its leaves shimmering with a subtle glow, mushrooms as tall as buildings, and vines that glowed with a soft blue light.

The air was heavy with a sweet and mysterious scent that was both alluring and unsettling.

As we ventured through the lush foliage, the rain became heavier, casting a mesmerizing glow upon the forest floor.

After a few moments, we reached the spot, I hopped down from the Doervus's back, my feet sinking slightly into the damp ground. The shelter was a natural recess formed by twisted tree roots and moss-covered rocks. It offered some respite from the rain, although the ethereal glow from the plants bathed the area in a dim light.

I patted the Doervus's ankle, grateful for its companionship. "Thank you, my friend," I said, my voice filled with genuine appreciation.

"Of course," The Doervus said as it lowered its head, its large, gentle eyes meeting mine. It emitted a soothing hum, as if to reassure me that it was always there to protect and guide me through this strange and dangerous realm.

Settling into the shelter, I pulled my ears tighter around me, relishing the warmth it provided. I watched the rain continue to fall, the droplets creating a mesmerizing symphony as they dripped upon the forest canopy.

The Doervus stepped inside and settled down in the recess, with me curling up against the Doervus's warm flank; the eldritch deer stood guard, its eyes sharp and vigilant.

Enthralled, I listened to the sound of the rain mingling with the soft hum of the Doervus, a calming rhythm. And as the rain fell around us, I took solace in the fact that together we would weather any storm that this eldritch world threw at us—for the time being.

Observing our new habitation, I could see small crystals glimmering in the walls, giving off a faint blue light that illuminated the area. It was eerie and somewhat beautiful at the same time.

"So, Doervus," I turned to the Eldriyssal and struck up a conversation. "Do you know about the other environments in this Zeldritch dimension? You mentioned there being other zones, and we have only seen this rainforest so far, the UvoSath right?"

The Doervus turned its head to me, its eyes thoughtful. "I cannot say for certain, Aera," it started. "I have lived in this forest for my entire existence, and I only have knowledge of the creatures and plants that exist within the UvoSath rainforest. But I am willing to share with you all that I know."

I nodded in understanding, appreciating its willingness to share its knowledge with me. "Please do," I said eagerly.

The Doervus began to speak, its voice low and melodic as it described the various beasts that roamed the forest with us. "There are creatures here that are the same rank or power range as us," it said. "Most of them are dangerous, like the Barbapts, while others are more peaceful or neutral, like the Tropiruth and the small crystal creatures that roam the forest floor. Those need provocation to initiate their attacks."

 

Small crystal creatures? I thought. Glad to know about them now than later down the road, so I can be extra careful not to provoke them like the Doervus said.

 

I continued to listen intently as the Doervus shared its knowledge of the Eldriyssals within the forest. It was clear that it had a deep understanding of the environment.

Pressing a paw to my cheek, I wondered as to how long had this creature survived in this world? Considering as to how dangerous and treacherous this place is.

"...there is also an eight limbed creature that exists here," this piqued my interest… in a bad way as the Doervus continued, "Large spider-like Eldriyssals that spin webs as big as the mushrooms outside of this place—we call them the Arasphites."

I grimaced at the thought, "Maybe let's skip the spider stories for now, Doervus."

The Doervus chuckled. "Indeed, spiteful things they are."

 

G.A.I.A. Activated!

 

Huh? I couldn't help thinking as I heard the voice exclaim in my head.

 

— Eldriyssal Documented!

— Species: Araphite

— Sub-Name: "Spite Crawlers"

 

Why did the G.A.I.A. activate without seeing the Eldriyssal? I thought.

I guessed mentioning the Eldriyssal was enough to prompt its activation. This could have its use...

I wondered about the other things I could have the G.A.I.A. document. Like having features to craft maps, mark areas to where each of the creatures lived, or maybe even create some sort of record of everything that existed in the world besides the Eldriyssals?

I made a mental note to test out the limits of the G.A.I.A. system later on.

 

— T_T

— Please don't.

 

D-did the G.A.I.A. just respond directly to me?! In such a casual manner...

 

— Yes.

— Now, leave me be.

1