Chapter 69 – Prisoner Transfer
231 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Talia took a deep breath of the cool sterile air her suit produced as she stepped out of the Bootstrap Module. It had taken nearly half the day for her to finish repairing her suit manually, and that made it the longest she’d been out of her suit since before the crash. It was even long enough that when she had sealed herself back inside the steel cocoon, it had felt… comfortable.

The last week had made her feel like she had wanted to rip it off constantly.

“Neo, is the containment module completed?” Talia asked, eager to move forward.

[Informative: Prisoner containment module has been successfully fabricated. IRU units are standing by for deployment.]

Her HUD highlighted the standing robotic infantry waiting in formation. They gave off an eerie vibe simply because of how still they stood. She approached them and gave the new MIRU units a closer inspection.

They were bulkier than the LIRUs, but still weren’t anything like the massive hulking HIRU units. Even though they didn’t turn to watch her as she inspected them, it still felt like they were observing her just as much as she was scrutinizing them. All three infantry types had proven how useful they were in defending the base and completing the rescue mission, but she didn’t think she’d ever get used to them.

“Okay, Neo. Have the robots deploy the containment module. Somewhere near the ramp, please,” Talia instructed.

The IRUs moved to action, the stronger MIRU units lifting the module as a group. It was comparable in size to the shield generator’s deployment module, so it was impressive that the robots managed it without the help of one of the CRD-X9s which were all still buzzing around on their missions. She tapped her bracer and checked her unit map, tracing the paths that the drones were taking.

The ones dragging back the worm parts had finished that a few hours earlier, and she’d sent 8 back to get more despite the risk. The HIRU and LIRU units had hitched a ride on the drones to provide as much protection as possible.

They had deployed the defensive CIWS turrets that hadn’t been destroyed on the roofs of several of the vehicles, and considering what she had seen of the enemy armor those would likely be capable of knocking them out of action even if they weren’t designed specifically for anti-armor.

The other four CRD-X9s had been routed to the Durasteel deposit to keep mining away at it. There was definitely going to be a need for more of that and since the trip was much shorter, it would continue at a fast clip even with half as many mining units working at it.

By the time she was done checking that her mining units were all working normally, the new containment module was completed. Her HUD flashed the module’s card.

[Holding Cell - Single Occupant]

| Description: A secure containment unit designed to house one individual. Comes with basic security measures, surveillance systems, and built-in amenities for the detainee. Generally serves as a solitary confinement or interrogation unit. |

| Durasteel: 3000, Refined Silicates: 500, Advanced Alloys: 400, High-Conductive Material: 500 |

| Capacity: 1 |

She flipped it off her visor HUD and frowned. “Neo, do you know what this card doesn’t mention?”

[Notice: Equipment and Schematic info cards summarize important information; however, they are summaries and do not include full item specifications.]

“You know what would have been good to mention on this card? Maybe mention it is absolutely-fricking HUGE. We could fit a dinosaur inside of it! A big one!” Talia shouted.

[Informative: Single occupant holding cell is designed to hold a wide variety of creatures and prisoners in a single cell.]

“Yeah, I think I’ve seen this one before. In a movie. Where they stuffed the giant alien monster in it. Then it got out and ate them all,” Talia replied flatly, trying to contain the emotion in her voice.

[Notice: This Holding Cell is of high-quality construction and it is unlikely that Blue prisoner will be capable of escape.]

“That’s because it’s ten times bigger than needed!” Talia shouted again. She was definitely going to recycle the stupid thing and build a smaller one once she could actually design her own shit. She let out an annoyed puff before approaching the module.

A pair of MIRUs slid in two fresh fusion cells into a side slot activating the facility, and the side door opened revealing a security cabin. She passed into the space and found a dozen monitoring devices and containment controls.

“What’s all this?” Talia asked.

[Informative: Containment unit contains the capability to apply high-voltage to containment bars, as well as a full suite of monitoring systems for the prisoner. In the event of escape-risk, the module can apply high-energy discharge and compression to containment compartment.]

Talia wanted to rub her forehead and sighed. “Yeah. Yeah, we’ll shock and crush those poor aliens before they get out. Excellent.”

[Affirmative: This Unit will—]

“Neo. Shut up. I’m pretty sure you’ve already committed war crimes. You can’t keep this up. You’re going to get me in trouble somehow.” There was a sulky silence that filled the air. “Go ahead and run some tests and make sure everything is working properly.”

[Affirmative: Proceeding with Containment Holding Cell diagnostic tests. All monitoring devices appear within standard deviation.]

“Great.” Talia turned and waved to the group of MIRUs. “I need an escort, its time to fetch the prisoner.”

They fell in line, flanking her two on each side as they made their way to the tunnel. A CRD-X9 just passed them on the way down, and Talia felt a small smile creep onto her mouth. Things were running well and with the incoming resources, they’d surely have enough material to build what she needed.

The sound must have bothered Dusky, who was poking her head out of the spider nest. The entrance had somehow grown, the wreckage material from the Blue attack having accumulated even more. But Talia spotted the braces around the entrance had been strengthened and melted together, indicating the spiders had figured out how to use their new multi-tools to improve the structure.

The spider spotted her almost immediately and began to wave and let out happy chirps before disappearing inside. Talia waved to the MIRUs to wait outside before heading in. The entire interior had been transformed since the last time she’d been inside it.

The natural cave walls had been replaced with metallic skin. It was obviously applied by a diffusion beam from the multi-tools, which was another advancement that she hadn’t realized the spiders were capable of. It was also larger; almost twice as big, with three different chambers having been shaped into the rock.

Dusky had retreated to nest in one part of the room with Dapple, who was curled up and sleeping. It looked like they had kept the fine pebble floor as their bedding material.

The third chamber contained a large pile of wreckage mixed with refined resource blanks the spiders had created using the multi-tools. Since the resource blanks were much more compact than the raw wreckage, the pile represented a lot more material that she had suspected they’d be able to gather when she realized the spiders had been scavenging.

Then she realized that they probably had brought back parts of the cages and things from the rescue.

The middle chamber held her object; the Blue trapped inside the makeshift cage, and Hot-Pink was still tapping on the bars and growling. It looked like the Blue had gotten used to it and passed out.

“Hey. Knock that off,” Talia said. Her suit made some clicks, causing Hot-Pink to whip around and focus on her.

For a second, Talia thought the spider was going to leap at her as it hissed. But when it seemed to realize who she was, it froze. A second later, it fell on its belly and covered its head.

“Uhh.” Talia mumbled.

[Informative: Spider gesture appears to be a submissive one intended for superiors.]

“Great. I’m the spider-boss.” Talia replied.

Dusky looked at her inquisitively. “Maker?”

“I’m here to take the Blue to his new place.” Talia tried to explain.

“Maker-Take-Taker?” Dusky asked.

Hot-Pink let out a growl and hiss, and her spider legs came off her head. The spider obviously had become enraptured by tapping the Blue’s cage. Talia wondered if the spider knew what it was doing was torture or why it didn’t want to give the Blue ‘Taker’ up.

Hissing was the wrong thing to do, because Dusky hissed back immediately and the noise woke Dapple up and then both spiders pushed past Talia to corner the spider. The Blue let out a panicked cry, because, of course, the noises had woken it up.

Hot-Pink wasn’t ready to fight, though. She skittered away from the cage and into the pile of metal scrap, hiding under some of the larger pieces. A cacophony of untranslated spider talk filled the room as Dusky and Dapple crawled all over the pile of debris while Hot-Pink hid underneath.

“Neo, is the cultural database getting all that? I feel like our linguist AI is going to need time to unpack it all,” Talia muttered.

[Informative: All operational cameras are currently in full record mode for historical record keeping.]

Talia approached the cage; the Blue had managed to shrink back into the corner even more somehow, although she wasn’t sure that it was really possible. It looked like the alien had been thoroughly traumatized. The cage didn’t have any hinges or door, and she didn’t want to figure out how to ask him to climb out, so she pulled out her multi-tool.

The Blue seemed as mesmerized as the spiders had first been when she selectively melted away the metal bars and made an entry-way.

“Okay, Blue. Let’s go—”

Her words were cut off as the Blue crawled out of the cage and hugged her leg, making a lot of noise that sounded like terrified pleas or begging. The Alien was about the size of an average human man, which was safe to say she absolutely dwarfed him with her heavy exo-suit on.

She tried to coax him to leave with her, but when her words didn’t really get through, she reached down and picked him up by the back of his charred leather-like outfit and sat him on his feet.

“Go on. Out,” Talia ordered.

The Blue seemed to get the idea, but was still skittish as he passed by the spiders. She almost ran into his back when he pulled up short at the sight of the MIRUs. He turned to look back at her, then looked down into the darkness of the tunnel like he was considering bolting for it, but the robot infantry surrounded him, and one grabbed his shoulder.

The spiders had forgotten about the entire scene and continued to play on the scrap metal pile. That wasn’t something she wanted to interrupt, having no clue what they were saying or doing.

The entire treatment and retrieval of the Blue had been rougher than she had envisioned or wanted. Talia let out a sigh and shook her head before gesturing for the MIRU party to head to the Containment Cell Module.

The prisoner march didn’t take long, and a few minutes later, the heavy bars of the new cell slid shut with a heavy click. Metallic bolts then fell into place, sealing the cell shut. It wasn’t environmentally sealed, although she noted the upgrade was there if needed and if she wanted to spend resource on an upgrade and the Fusion Cells required for the hard light field.

“Neo, do we have any idea what the Blue needs to survive? I know it doesn’t seem to need any water, even though we are in the desert,” Talia asked, concerned about the Blue’s well-being.

There was a momentary pause.

[Notice: Security Footage has indicated a possible nutritional requirement of Blue prisoner. Please review video data.]

Her left visor HUD panel lit up with a picture-in-picture video of Hot-Pink banging on the Blue’s cage. Dusky entered the picture causing the spider to growl, but then Dapple appeared as well and Hot-Pink ran away.

Talia frowned, confused at what the video had to do with Blue nutrition until Dusky put her mouth to the ground then threw up a small blue glowing chunk of rock. Despite the low quality video from the maintenance drone, she was able to recognize it: the rock was a small chunk of low-grade HEM. Probably one of the snacks she’d fed them over the last few days.

The spider pushed the chunk into the cage and then the Blue snatched it up and ate it.

“Uhh.” Talia wondered out loud. Besides the point of how eager the Blue had been to eat something one of the spiders had regurgitated, was that really normal for them?

“Neo, the Blues consume HEM just like the spiders?” Talia asked, still taken aback by the video footage.

19