Chapter 40: Speculations
4.7k 21 229
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A golden, villa-sized Immortal Boat sliced through the air at a speed that was hundreds of times faster than the Immortal Ship that brought the Outer disciples to the Demon Beast Haven Realm’s Anchor Point. It was so fast that even Nirvana Realm beings would not be able to see anything other than a really bright flash of golden light!

Song Siying stood in the Control Room of the Immortal Ship. She stared at the window that gave a panoramic view of the incomprehensibly fast-moving scenery outside. Slightly behind her stood two young men with diametrically opposite dispositions: one sunny and welcoming, the other cold and aloof. Song Siying’s slender fingers played with a jade slip as she turned to the young man with the sunny aura and asked, “What do you think of this situation, Ming’er?” 

The young man named Ming rubbed his chin and replied, “Master, I think there is more to it than simply Demonic Cultivators. The Demonic Path has been too badly suppressed in the past few centuries. It is almost impossible for them to take the initiative to cause trouble.

“I’m not entirely sure, but there is very likely some other power that is interfering.” After a small pause, he continued, “Of course, it could really be that the Demonic Path is getting restless. In which case, we might have to show them their place again.”

Song Siying hummed in agreement. She too had come to the same conclusion. But she still had to consider other possibilities, “Ah Sheng, what do you think are the chances that it's the Mystic Sky Sect that is behind all this?”

The other young man with silver hair was silent for a few moments before he shook his head slightly, “Unlikely. There’s little to no benefit. 

“Besides, it was them who led the pact between Sects to not be hostile to each other and thus they benefit the most from keeping the pact.

“Without some much greater benefit, it is impossible for them to do this.”

“I thought as much.” Song Siying nodded, “It should be the Divine Qilin Empire that has held a grudge against us for the past few Eras.” 

But she then frowned, deeply perplexed by the situation, “It doesn’t make sense. They should at least keep themselves hidden, right? With the incident between Yuan Feng and Bai Heng, they would inevitably attract our attention. Even if that matter is not particularly big, the matter of the Outer Sect disciples in the Demon Beast Haven Realm is not small at all!”

She was truly puzzled by this.

Yue Sheng frowned slightly and offered a potential explanation, “Maybe they’re trying some sort of Reverse Psychology? Maybe they want us to doubt our speculation?”

Song Siying shook her head. Such a thought was too simplistic and it was unlikely those old fogies would do something like this. Even if that was the case, there was probably a deeper reason behind it.

Yue Sheng wasn’t discouraged by his master’s denial, “Or perhaps they’re testing us? See how we respond? To see how much influence the faction that wants to go to War with them has? 

“Ever since the Pact of the Mightiest, the Essence Soul figures cannot make a move. Even Core Formations are restricted. That means we can only let the Transformation and below fight. Perhaps they want to see how much battle power we can send out? 

“The small-scale skirmishes with the Divine Qilin Empire have been on the rise after all.”

Song Siying shook her head, refuting this possibility as well, “That is unlikely. If something happens to the Disciples in the Demon Beast Haven Realm, the Sect will really start an all-out war! 

“At that time, whether it was them or not, the Sect wouldn’t stop until someone had paid a heavy price. And since they are the most likely culprit, we'll attack them. They can’t afford war for now. They have enough enemies within the Myriad Empire Alliance alone.”

“Moreover, why would we move our hidden forces to deal with this?”

“As for testing to see how much influence the pro-war faction has? No way. There are also disciples of the Adamantine Fist Sect and the Mystic Sky Sect. They would directly offend two other Super Factions. They would not do so for something so trivial. ”

A thought struck Yang Ming and he opened his mouth, “... Could it be a pig teammate? Maybe the Divine Qilin Empire was trying to do this in secrecy, but the spy chose this, uh, not so opportune time to do this?” 

Song Siying froze. Yue Sheng also froze. They both turned simultaneously and looked at Yang Ming in bewilderment. Their expressions were strange: That’s quite the logical leap you’re making!

Yang Ming felt slightly flustered under their weird gazes. Especially that disdainful look from Yue Sheng - he really couldn’t bear that. The slight smirk that tugged at the corner of his lips nearly caused him to pop a meridian!

Don’t look at me like that, dammit! 

‘Dammit, master must think I’m stupid now! Aiya, what to do now? Will she favour that bastard more?!’ Yang Ming’s guts twisted in worry - would his master ever even think of him as a candidate for a Dao Companion after this?!

Song Siying giggled, fondly patting the tall Yang Ming on the head, “Ming’er, your brain is truly jumpy sometimes.”

Yue Sheng’s and Yang Ming’s expressions switched places instantly!

“{Hehe, take that you bastard!}” Yang Min’s private qi transmission almost became public due to sheer smugness in it!

Yue Sheng looked like he’d swallowed a fly as he glared at Yang Ming, ‘Dammit!’ His glare at Yang Ming could have caused the Heavens to wither!

Song Siying, oblivious to her disciples’ impure thoughts, returned to the point. “What else?”

After a few moments of silence, Yang Ming spoke up, “Maybe, it’s not the Divine Qilin Empire at all? And someone wants to use a borrowed knife to harm the Divine Qilin Empire?

“Or perhaps it’s the other way round; someone wants to use the Divine Qilin Empire to attack us?”

Song Siying and Yue Sheng paused. “That is not entirely impossible.” Song Siying pondered. “Who would it be in either case? Our relationships with the other Sects are pretty good - so it is unlikely that it is them. So it can only be someone using us to attack the Divine Qilin Empire.”

An understanding look appeared in Yang Ming’s eyes, “This way, Yuan Feng’s story checks out.”

Yue Sheng frowned. “So, that means someone is slinging mud at the Divine Qilin Empire? Is it a rival Empire?”

“Probably. Myriad Empire Alliance has too many internal struggles” Song Siying shook her head. “Otherwise, it wouldn’t be the Sects that are at an advantage.”

She sighed. While they often told the others they were vastly superior, it was actually bullshit. The Myrian Empire Alliance might truly be weaker than them in normal times. But if the individual Empires managed to set aside their differences… The Sects would have a hard time.

***

As they continued discussing the possibilities, Song Siying frowned and took out her Elder’s token. As she read through the message she received, her frown deepened. After a short while, she put away her token.

“There’s more news: the other Sects are suffering hits to their reputation as well. And pretty badly too.” 

“What?!” Both Yue Sheng and Yang Ming were shocked. Then their minds whirled and both came to the same conclusion.

“Is it the Myriad Empire Alliance?” Yang Ming queried tentatively.

Song Siying nodded. 

Yang Ming’s eyes widened, “Is the Myriad Empire Alliance trying to start a war?!”

“I do not know. It may or may not signify a war, but,” Song Siying looked out of the window, eyes set on the approaching Bi Xin City, her face showing a severe expression, “In the next few centuries, there are going to be great upheavals!”

Song Siying bit her lips, ‘The worst case might have happened…’

With this chapter, the word count has reached a whopping 100k words! That's the most I've ever written for a single story!

229