Chapter 45: Intense Battle III
4.7k 23 229
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“S-She’s recovered.” A 2nd Disaster Demonic Cultivator spoke. There was an odd inflexion to his tone that was almost like… fear. 

Xiao Hong, who had employed the Star Shifting Steps to run away, was a little shocked by the Demonic Cultivator’s rather fearful tone. 

‘From the perspective of the enemy, I can truly be considered a truly fearsome opponent…’ She thought to herself. A smirk appeared on her face. However, she quickly suppressed the feelings of pride that had welled up within her. There was no point in relishing it for now - it was more important to get herself and her Sect mates out of their current predicament.

Xiao Hong floated in the air, her Divine Sense sweeping across a radius of more than 400 metres.

She realised they were in a stalemate of sorts. The Demonic Cultivators had realised that capturing or killing her might not be very easy even with so many of them working together. Her Perfection-level Star Shifting Steps made her incredibly slippery, so much so that only the 8th Disasters would have a chance to actually catch her. 

On the other hand, Xiao Hong started to realize that there were no more opponents below the 5th Disaster. It would not be as easy to defeat them as before - a few Zhenqi-enhanced kicks and punches were no longer enough to take them down. And if she engaged the same Demonic Cultivator for too long, she would be besieged by the other Demonic Cultivators.

Her Zhenqi-enhanced Physical Prowess could almost match the average 6th Disaster’s all-out attack if she attacked with all her might - i.e. when she used her full Physical Prowess enhanced by Zhenqi. 

It was only now that she realised how much she had neglected Body Cultivation. Body cultivation wasn’t only about increasing the base stats of her Body, but also about knowing how to exert it. Her guts twisted in regret, ‘What a blunder. Had I learnt some Physical Battle Techniques, I would have been able to exert a far greater strength than I can now. This battle would have been a whole lot easier.’

Xiao Hong realised that she had been too obsessed with Essence Cultivation and had neglected her Body Cultivation - in which she had some actual talent.

However, she soon shook her head. There was no point in regretting it, ‘If we manage - no when - when we manage to get out of this predicament, I will definitely collect as many Physical Body Techniques as possible.’

“{Senior Sister, we’re ready!}” The qi-transmission from the Array Formation Master that had doubted her came, breaking her out of her thoughts.

She immediately used her Divine Sense to sweep throughout the battlefield. The disciples she had entrusted to set up nodes were in position. 

Barely managing to suppress the grin, she sent a broadcast, “{Everyone, get ready. At my signal, those facing Demonic Cultivators below the 6th Disaster try your best to make them concentrate on you. I will launch another attack, and at that time set up the nodes as quickly as possible!}”

All the disciples she had enlisted for help were just below the 5th Disaster because she did not have the ability to incapacitate the Demonic Cultivators above the 4th Disaster with a single move. Therefore, she targeted the weaker Demonic Cultivators.

“{Yes!}”

Xiao Hong’s expression turned serious, as she stared at the remaining Demonic Cultivators and disappeared with a burst of starlight.

Immediately, the remaining Demonic Cultivators also became wary and activated their best defensive measures. 

She appeared next to a 5th Disaster Cultivator and attacked with all her might. 

Bang!

The defensive barrier around the woman cracked but still held on. Xiao Hong threw several punches and kicks in quick succession before it gave in.

Just as she was about to attack, she sensed several powerful auras behind her, approaching her at a blistering pace. Moreover, the woman herself threw out a human-sized Fireball towards her.

‘Tsk!’ Xiao Hong clicked her tongue and operated her Movement Art, disappearing in a flash of starlight.

Xiao Hong attacked another Demonic Cultivator but the result was the same: she could not destroy his defences fast enough. Only if she did something like before - like destroying an Artefact could she kill them instantly. However, that was not worth it. Moreover, this method was unlikely to work again - her opponents were not idiots.

‘As expected, I can’t really do much about the 5th Disaster and above. At least, not when I can only make a few moves.’ Xiao Hong frowned. The Demonic Cultivators were also quick to catch on to this.

“She can’t destroy our defences quick enough!” The 5th Disaster Demonic Cultivator woman she had just attacked exclaimed. “As such, she can’t really hurt us!”

Immediately, the remaining Demonic Cultivators regained their courage. Since their opponent could not harm them, what was there to fear? They just needed to ensure that their defences were sturdy enough!

Just as they were rejoicing, they saw Xiao Hong making hand seals. And those hand seals were incredibly familiar. They knew she was going to use the Spell Art: Dark Flame Serpent. However, they were a little confused. The destructive power of the Spell was indeed there, but it wasn’t fast enough -  the victims who were hit last time because they were already in battle with other Cultivators. However, they were not. They could easily flee her and defend against the attacks.

HISS! 

The massive Dark Flame Serpent condensed this time much smaller than before because she had only had 30 percent of her full capacity.

“No! She wants to attack the others!” A Demonic Cultivator exclaimed! 

He was just about to warn the Demonic Cultivators when the Purple Spirit Sect’s disciple’s auras increased abruptly! Their opponents were startled and about to defend when a powerful explosion struck them, severely injuring or killing them! The Purple Spirit Sect’s disciples took advantage of their predicament to unleash their strongest attacks, completely neutralising them!

The disciples who were freed immediately used their fastest speed and arrived next to nodes calculated by Xiao Hong and started setting up the nodes with utmost care. While the rest of the disciples of the Purple Spirit Sect disengaged from their opponents using the distraction provided by Xiao Hong’s attack and swarmed around Xiao Hong.

They did not think whether it would work or not - they did not have the luxury! This was the best chance they had at reversing the situation. If it didn’t work out, they’d just curse Xiao Hong from the Netherworld.

Xiao Hong herself arrived at the Major Astral Position she had calculated and brought out her Leiying Sword and stabbed it into the ground. Since she was using the ‘Yang’ of the Sun, she could use the Thunder Attribute - which was nominally Yang - to resonate with the Sun! It was stretching a bit, but it wasn’t impossible.

Xiao Hong’s aura suddenly fell to a 4th of her previous aura and she immediately sat down cross-legged and started making hand seals rapidly! 

Soon a compact Earth Shell appeared around Xiao Hong.

Inside, she continued making hand seals - this time for the Array Formation.

“What the heck?” The Demonic Cultivators were dumbfounded by their opponents’ actions.

“... Wait! They’re setting up an Array Formation!” A rather quick-witted Demonic Cultivator shouted with a flabbergasted expression.

“What?!” When the Demonic Cultivators looked around, they realised that he was right!

The process of setting up an Array was very easy to discern for anyone watching. They needed to set up the Nodes and Astral Positions by using specific Array Formation Flags. However, since Xiao Hong did not have ready-made Formation Flags, she had no choice but to use precious materials to make up for them. This increased the number of Nodes required. 

This was also why Xiao Hong attacked first. She aimed to reduce the number of Demonic Cultivators to minimize their interference.

“Dammit, we can’t let them succeed!” They did not know what kind of Array Formation they were setting up, but they knew very well how effective Array Formations could be! It allowed weaker Cultivators to stand a chance against stronger Cultivators who could not match them normally!

This was why Array Formation Masters were just as respected as Alchemists - even if they did not earn nearly as much.

“Attack that bitch! She must be the one who’s setting up the Main Node since all the disciples are protecting her!” The 5th Disaster Demonic Cultivator shrieked, glaring at Xiao Hong hatefully - she had been hit with several really nasty Secondary Spells from the Dark Flame Serpent, scorching away a small part of her face. “She must have attacked and killed the others so that they can’t interfere with the process of setting up the array!”

Usually, in an Array Formation, there could be multiple redundant Minor Nodes or Minor Astral Positions. Even if one of the Minor Nodes were destroyed, they could use the redundant nodes to keep the Array functioning. So it would be more effective for the Demonic Cultivators to attack the Main Node instead.

“Fuck! Let’s attack!” A Demonic Cultivator at the 6th Disaster swept and rushed towards Xiao Hong.

The other Demonic Cultivators followed suit. If the Purple Spirit Sect managed to set up an Array Formation and only defend, they would be done for. Even if the Array Formation did not have any attacking power, they would still be screwed when they returned to their Base and the Nirvana Realm Demonic Cultivators learned of their failure.

Perhaps, they would not even reach the Base safely…

Thinking up to here, the Demonic Cultivators surged forward, determined to foil their opponents’ plans!

“Disciples of the Purple Spirit Sect, let us fight! We must protect Junior Sister Xiao! No matter the cost!” A disciple at the 7th Disaster shouted, his gaze firm as he rushed towards the oncoming Demonic Cultivators, his aura blazing, he was doing what Xiao Hong had done - forcibly using a higher level of the Spirit Transformation Art.

“Yes!”

“Indeed! We must protect Junior Sister! She’s our only hope!”

“Haha! Let’s show these Demonic Path bastards why they should hide away in their little holes like the cockroaches they are!” A spear-wielding Senior Brother shot forward, emanating a contagious heroic spirit!

“Kekeke, well said!” Another disciple cackled in response.

The Junior Sister that Xiao Hong had saved a while ago also stepped up. She stood between the Demonic Cultivators and Xiao Hong - determined to protect her.

Xiao Hong felt slightly shocked; but soon, a smile uncontrollably appeared on her face. 

This feeling of fighting together, being depended on and being protected…

‘It feels good.’

If you guys have questions, ask in the comment section of the glossary chapter. I will try to reply to as many as I can.

But, I will answer mostly during the weekends - i.e. Sundays and Saturdays. So, uh, you might have to wait a bit... sorry...

 

229