Chapter 61: Bai Hao’s Nirvana (Part III)
4.6k 24 210
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“RAAAAAARGHH!” Fang Jin let out a thunderous roar! He shot up from the ground a hundred metres away with an apoplectic rage burning his very blood. He clutched his left arm which had been burned blacker than charcoal, which was now broken so badly it did not even look like a human body part anymore!

He seethed.

Twice! 

Twice, he had been thwarted by mere ants! Ants of a lower stage that he could normally crush on a whim!

Not only that, he was also severely injured by them! 

While he was unaware that it wasn’t her who had come up with the plan to bombard him with techniques, he wouldn’t care even if he knew.

Even if the damage was not particularly great and would heal within a day or two on its own, he would never be able to wash away the shame and humiliation of being attacked and injured by weaker Cultivators!

And all of it was because of that bitch! His Killing Intent soared as he laid his eyes on Xiao Hong. 

Initially, he’d just wanted to kill because she would become a thorn in the side of the Demonic Alliance, but now? Now he wished to kill her because of the humiliation he’d suffered! His heart would never be at ease if he did not.

So this time around he directly attacked with all his might!

A gigantic ball of blood condensed before reforming into a gigantic crimson Wolf that stood taller than the trees.

Roar! 

With an eardrum-shattering roar the crimson Wolf sped towards Xiao Hong, who did not even realise that the attack was already upon her.

It opened, crimson eyes glowing with Killing Intent, its mouth in an attempt to swallow Xiao Hong who was only a little bigger than its paws.

But.

Schwiing! BOOM!

With a sound like a sword being drawn followed by a powerful explosion, the crimson Wolf was directly sliced into pieces, which then burst apart into a cloud of crimson mist, filling the surroundings with the metallic smell of blood.

“What?!” Fang Jin let out a shocked gasp before his face turned sombre upon witnessing the abrupt dispersion of his Spell Art!

Among the disciples that were watching, Gu Ran lowered his arm, a dim starlight that only he could see was circulating around his hand slowly dissipated into tiny motes of light, while most of it was swept back into his hand. He let out the breath he had been holding, ‘Thank Heavens.’

But soon, a bitter smile appeared on his face. ‘As expected, even if I didn’t use it in the end, there is still a price to pay…’ He sighed inwardly as he felt his Cultivation Base directly drop out of the 7th Disaster and fall to the point of barely maintaining it at the beginning of the 6th Disaster. 

‘Well, it is only slightly difficult to recultivate it.’ He shook his head and chuckled inwardly. He wasn’t an old monster for nothing - a mere drop in his Cultivation Stage would never stop him! 

He casually threw it to the back of his mind.

‘More importantly, Junior Sister’s punch just now,’ his lips twitched violently as he recalled the punch that had sent Fang Jin flying. ‘Perfected Mastery of the Golden Ape King Kong Fist? How long has it been? A week? Since when did Profound Rank Arts become so simple to learn?!’ 

He would have flipped a table if there were any around! 

‘The combination of a Spiritual Constitution, along with the innate compatibility of the Stellar Primordial Body with the Path of Physical Cultivation, truly make for a nonsensical Wonder, huh?

‘Moreover, what was that weird feeling when she used the Golden Ape King Kong Fist? Was it the awakening of the Stellar Primordial Body?

‘It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the power of Stars, though?’ He was very sure the Stellar Primordial Body had nothing to do with the power Xiao Hong displayed. 

‘I never expected something like this.’ Gu Ran’s eyes sparkled with great interest. ‘Although the pressure did not allow her to awaken her Physique, she seems to have attained something else entirely…

‘How interesting!’ 

He had initially wanted to help her by letting the pressure of an insurmountable enemy awaken her ‘dormant Physique’, but he did not expect that she seemed to have comprehended something else entirely! 

***

On the other side, a gust of wind blew, dispersing the crimson mist.

An extremely handsome young man, looking to be in his late teens stood in front of Xiao Hong with a thin black sword. His long, white hair flowed with the wind, akin to a river of moonlight. 

An extremely sharp aura radiated from his body, tearing apart the air and slicing apart the strands of crimson Demonic Qi that tried to get closer to Xiao Hong in an attempt to harm her. 

The white-haired young man turned to look at Xiao Hong who had passed out due to the sheer battering she had gone through. Even though he knew she could not hear him right now, he muttered softly, voice laden with guilt, “You’ve done enough, Junior Sister. Leave the rest to me.”

He waved his hand, causing a blueish-white shield to surround her.

He then turned around and stared at Fang Jin with extremely cold eyes. He did not say a thing but the ferocious Intent circulating within his eyes expressed more than words ever could!

He disappeared from his place.

Fang Jin barely had the time to react before a black sword appeared directly in front of him, radiating a Sword Intent so tremendous that he felt like he was standing in a Sea of Swords, each of them hellbent on slicing him to shreds!

Clapping his hands together, he barely erected a red barrier between him and the sword. 

Bang!

The sword only paused for a moment before it simply tore through the barrier like it was paper. 

However, that brief window of time was enough for Fang Jin to circulate his Movement Art and dodge the sword.

Reappearing several dozen metres away, he weaved several hand seals in quick succession before stretching out his palm ferociously. His Demonic Qi condensed into a palm-sized blood-red ball, which then turned into a beam of pure destructive power that shot towards Bai Hao at an insane speed!

God-slaying Demon Spear!

Bai Hao just raised his sword and casually slashed down, sending out a thin arc of pure-white Sword Qi to meet the blood-red beam.

In an instant, their respective attacks were already upon each other! However, unexpectedly, the expected powerful clash did not occur at all!

Instead, the Sword Qi easily split the blood-red beam into two before continuing towards Fang Jin as if nothing had happened! 

Fang Jin was forced to quickly circulate his Movement Technique and reappear far away! At this point, he was very far away from the disciples of the Purple Spirit Sect.

“Sword Intent! The Sword Intent of the highest level!” Fang Jin’s eyes twitched in irritation. 

In fact, Bai Hao’s Sword Intent was on the verge of transforming into a Sword Domain. But he had held back a bit. It was good to keep your cards close to your chest.

‘But then should he not take much longer to forge his Nirvana Spiritual Body?’ Fang Jin was confused. ‘Sword Intent will strengthen the Soul greatly causing one’s Cultivation Foundation to take a great leap in strength, meaning it should also take that much longer for this brat to forge his Nirvana Spiritual Body!

‘Moreover, with the Bai Family’s foundation, it should be impossible for him to cultivate anything but the best in the Purple Spirit Sect…’

Suddenly, a realisation struck him and his eyeballs almost vacated their eye sockets! He stared at Bai Hao and exclaimed, “You, you, haven’t completely forged your Nirvana Spiritual Body!”

Bai Hao did not even bother to reply. He simply smirked disdainfully and attacked!

The black Sword in hand floated up, before it shot straight towards Fang Jin, turning into a thin, black line that sliced through the air towards Fang Jin, forcing him to circulate his Movement Art and disappear from his place.

Fang Jin felt that if he was really struck by that Sword, it would not end well for him.

So, all he could do was escape!

Yet, with a single hand-seal, the black sword changed direction with unparalleled agility and chased after Fang Jin!

Fang Jin gritted his teeth and circulated his Movement Art yet again, turning into a bolt of blood-red light. But no matter what he did, the black Sword chased after him like sticky plaster!

‘Dammit!’ Fang Jin raged inwardly. ‘I can’t keep running away! Not from a brat who has not even stepped into the Nirvana Stage completely!’

He gritted his teeth. Eyes glowing with a ruthless light, he halted in mid-air before quickly weaving several hand seals. Then with a glowing, crimson hand, he struck his chest fiercely! 

He roared, “Blood Demon Art: Burn!”

The blood-red aura that surged around him halted for a moment before it erupted with even greater intensity! It was like he had become a miniature furnace, radiating tremendous heat and power. The aura he gave off grew so overwhelming that a few weaker Cultivators directly fainted! 

Ignoring the feeling of having his body burnt inside out, he thought, ‘I need to finish this as fast as possible. I have not gathered enough Blood Essence to sustain the Blood Demon Art’s Burn State for long.’ Fang Jin’s eyes gradually turned bloodshot. A madness surged in the depths of his eyes as felt his rationality being slowly eroded.

Boom! 

Fang Jin’s face split into a smirk as he shot towards his opponent, his speed almost as fast as Bai Hao’s black Sword!

Bai Hao’s expression shifted into a sombre one. He immediately circulated his Movement Technique to escape. But, this buffed-up Fang Jin was no longer someone he could compete with! 

Fang Jin reappeared next to Bai Hao, his body already in a stance to release a Battle Technique!

Mountain Shaking Fist!

Boom!

Bai Hao was directly struck into the ground with such great force that cracks spread from the point of impact. Huge clouds of dust were blown up before they were dispersed over and over by the shockwaves generated by Fang Jin’s subsequent attacks.

Fang Jin did not let up at all! He used Battle Technique after Battle Technique, striking the ground where Bai Hao lay with all his might! Giant palms, titan-sized fists and a myriad of other attacks bombarded the ground, causing it to vibrate as though it were about to collapse any moment. It was as though an Earthquake had struck them!

Schwiing! 

A gigantic arc of pure white Sword Qi rose from the ground directly targeting Fang Jin, forcing him to dodge. In the split second that Fang Jin dodged, a streak of white light shot from the clouds of dust and escaped far away!

In the distance, the streak of white light ground to a halt and turned into a dishevelled Bai Hao. His normally silky, straight hair had turned into something that resembled a crow’s nest. The Sect Robes that he wore had basically disappeared. His exposed skin was filled with purplish-black bruises.

“Urgh.” Bai Hao grunted before spitting out a mouthful of blood to the side and wiping the blood away from the corner of his lips.

Fang Jin grinned in delight. 

Finally! This was what being a Nirvana Stage True Demon should feel like! He should not be beaten by a random Divine Sea initial-stage brat. Nor should he, as a veteran True Demon, lose to a punk that had not even completely attained the Nirvana Stage!

Bang!

With a loud bang, Fang Jin disappeared from his place, reappearing right in front of Bai Hao letting loose a barrage of fist shadows made of Demonic Qi, forcing Bai Hao to defend with all his might.

One Fang Jin’s fist shadows slammed into Bai Hao’s stomach, sending him flying through the air snapping dozens of trees on his way!

Whoosh! Fang Jin grinned and chased after Bai Hao. His eyes blazed with an excited light! This feeling of utter domination was exhilarating!

***

The disciples’ hearts clenched in trepidation as they watched their Senior Brother being blasted away for the umpteenth time in the past five minutes. Their initial relief slowly disappeared with every moment the two of them clashed. Every move Fang Jin unleashed piled on the weight in their hearts, bringing them closer and closer to despair.

These five minutes felt more like five hours instead!

“Haha, you should give up, punk!” Fang Jin cackled, his eyes glowing with intense satisfaction as he laid his eyes upon Bai Hao’s broken form that was barely holding together. “There is no way a brat like you - who hasn’t even stepped into Nirvana, can actually - can defeat a veteran Cultivator like me.

“Just surrender and become my nourishment! That way, I will at least give you a painless death!”

Bai Hao did not speak at all.

But he knew. He knew Fang Jin was right. There was not much he could do with his current strength. He could not use the Spirit Transformation Art to buff his Battle Power, because he was still in the state of transformation after breaking through from the 8th Disaster Stage, thus his Qi was constantly transforming to a higher state. If he used the Spirit Transformation Art now, he’d more likely explode than gain more power! He could fight and use the battle to temper his Qi, but that was the limit.

He knew very well that he should not have come out without completely achieving his Nirvana Spiritual Body. Only when he’d completely achieved his Nirvana Spiritual Body should he have come out…

But…

‘How could I?!’ He screamed internally! ‘How could I leave them to die?! How could I, when I am their Senior Brother, let them defend me with their lives?! I should be the one risking my life!

‘Especially…’ His eyes flickered towards Xiao Hong who lay unconscious inside the protective shield he had set up. ‘Especially when someone risked her life and her secrets to give me and everyone else here a chance…

‘There is no way I could let her be harmed…’

“Haha! I see! I see!” Fang Jin suddenly roared with laughter, “No wonder you ran out even without completing the formation of your Nirvana Spiritual Body. It was because your little lover was in danger!

“Though I suppose I can understand,” He nodded in understanding, “Such a beauty even I have never seen before! I would be anxious to keep her safe, too!”

His eyes roved all over Xiao Hong’s body lasciviously. His smile turned wretched as he focused on her chest. He licked his lips. “I had wanted to kill her off before… But now, heheheh, I shall have her accompany me every night.”

He turned to Bai Hao with mocking eyes, “How about this: you leave this girl with me and I’ll let you die painlessly?

“Don’t worry, I’ll treat her very well!”

Bai Hao clenched his hands, trying to hold back the volcanic rage that boiled inside him waiting to erupt and burn this bastard to ashes. He glared at Fang Jin, eyes almost spitting fire, causing Fang Jin’s malicious sneer to widen even more.

Bai Hao gritted his teeth, he thought firmly, ‘Even if I have to die, I won’t allow such a fate to descend upon Junior Sister!

‘Even if I die, I will keep my Junior Brother and Sisters safe!’ He would rather die and take Fang Jin down with him than let his Junior Martial Siblings be harmed! They were his responsibility from the moment he became their Mission Leader. As a man, he could not shirk his responsibility! 

He glanced back at the Purple Spirit Sect’s disciples who stood behind him. He took in their expressions. Fear. Terror. Despair. Hatred. Grief. 

It was a storm of negative emotions. 

But within that storm existed a tiny spot of light. Hope. 

They had hope because he, their Senior Brother, still existed. They were dependent on him!

They were his responsibility. Their hopes lay on his shoulders. Their lives lay on his shoulders.

‘Is this what Father felt back then?’ Bai Hao recalled the resolute, broad figure that stood in front of him like a mountain, defending his mother and himself. Fighting with his life on the line to eke out a way for them to survive. That figure that Bai Hao had aspired to be. The figure he yearned to be!

He smiled, ‘Perhaps it was, perhaps it was not.’

His Qi Circulation started to slowly increase in speed and quantity - well beyond what his current Cultivation Base allowed, causing his aura to billow up. Veins bulged up all over his body, being overly stressed. 

Fang Jin’s and the rest of the disciples’ expressions changed immediately! They immediately realised what he was doing!

“Brother Bai, no!” Nangong Wan’s terrified scream rang out! She did not want the love of her life to risk his life like this! The stronger Bai Hao’s aura grew, the faster she could feel her dreams and hopes crumble! 

Several other disciples also shouted out their reluctance.

But Bai Hao paid them no heed. He was focused on his goal with single-minded determination. Nothing could stop him from his goal: to cut down Fang Jin and give his Junior Brothers and Sisters a chance!

‘Alas, I never got to experience Junior Brother Gu’s Sword Domain!’ He felt regretful. Ever since he’d heard of Gu Ran’s attack on that Demonic Cultivator he had not been able to keep it out of his mind. Unfortunately, he never had the opportunity.

He clenched his Sword tightly, his eyes filled with determination. ‘Father, I think I finally understand what it means to “swing your Sword with your Heart, not your hand.”

‘Unfortunately, I will never be able to show you!’ He smiled sadly when he felt his Sword Heart ripple slightly.

“Huh?!” Gu Ran whose hand was once again surrounded by a dim starry light exclaimed. He blinked. He blinked again.

‘He’s forming his Sword Domain?!’ His eyes widened in astonishment! 

‘No, not quite, he's still off by a bit.

‘He’s comprehended the ‘Heart Sword’ but not anything else…

‘But that bit is something I can help with!’

“{Senior Brother Bai!}” Gu Ran nearly shouted into his qi transmission almost destabilising it, “{There is nothing in the World that can’t be your Sword!}”

Bai Hao froze in place.

“{The Five Elements, The Three Wonders, Eight Desolates, Yin or Yang, Heaven or Earth! Everything is a Sword! Anything can be your Sword! Even your… }”

“... my Heart is my Sword!” Bai Hao exclaimed! “That is the essence of the Sword Domain

“Haha,” Bai clenched his Sword tightly before he exploded in uproarious laughter, “Hahahahaha! Everything is my Sword!”

Xue Minghe looked weirdly at Bai Hao. ‘Did this guy finally lose his mind upon imagining what would happen to that girl?’

Suddenly his expression changed drastically!

“Sir Fang, he-!”

Boooom!

A tremendous aura exploded from Bai Hao! The Nirvana Spiritual Body that was majorly incomplete was completed in a single breath!

A Weapon Cultivator’s attainment in their chosen weapon was very closely related to their Cultivation level. It was a speciality that was unique to their Cultivation Methods that increased along with their comprehension of the Sword - it was a trade-off that reduced their prospects in more delicate things like Alchemy, Formations, Talismans etc. 

Of course, they also did not instantly gain Cultivation upon being enlightened in the Way of the Sword. But it gave them a powerful momentum that allowed them to breeze through bottlenecks like they did not even exist! This ‘momentum’ was quite dependent on the quality of their Techniques. And quite obviously, Bai Hao cultivated the best of the best!

Normally, a Sword Domain would increase the amount of time taken to complete one’s Nirvana Spiritual Body, but thanks to the beating he suffered at the hands of Fang Jin, his Qi was refined greatly. Coupled with the momentum gained from attaining the Sword Domain, it directly pushed him to complete his Nirvana Spiritual Body!

And it wasn’t the ordinary Nirvana Spiritual Body! 

In an unprecedented feat, he directly achieved the embryonic form of the Sword Spirit Body the Forbidden Chapter of his Cultivation Method mentioned!

Bai Hao grinned widely as he casually reached up and caught a fist that was headed his way.

“Time for some payback~!” He swung his Sword!

Slice!

“Aaaargh!” An agonised scream ripped through Fang Jin’s throat as he was blasted away, yet Bai Hao held on to his fist.

Bang! Crash!

“Urgh!” In the distance, Fang Jin grunted as he got up unsteadily, thin rivulets of blood flowing onto the ground from numerous bone-deep wounds in his body bleeding profusely. 

His True Demon Body tried its best to heal those wounds but was completely unable to and instead worsened them. The Sword Intent stuck to his body like gangrene, slicing apart the newly grown flesh as soon as it tried to knit itself back together.

What was worse was that bleeding stump that used to be his right arm!

With just one move from Bai Hao, Fang Jin was severely injured!

Bai Hao did not give Fang Jin time to recover and attacked. 

He raised his sword and pointed it at Fang Jin.

Instantly, the Spiritual Energy of Heaven and Earth around him surged like waves in a storm! The Spiritual Energy gathered into twelve pure white orbs before being reshaped into a sword-like shape, each radiating Sword Intent so powerful, that even Fang Jin felt horrified.

“Kill.” Bai Hao ordered, his voice like knives made of ice!

The twelve swords turned into beams of pure white as they shot at Fang Jin with incomprehensible speed!

Fang Jin knew very well that he could not escape Bai Hao’s attack. So he threw up his defences - which were quite ironically a large number of Earth Shells stacked like dominoes.

Schwing!

And just as ironically, his defences could not put up the slightest resistance against the overwhelming power of the Sword Domain.

The Earth Shells were simply sliced apart like they were made of air!

Unfortunately, before the Swords could hit Fang Jin, a blue shield appeared around Fang Jin.

Boom!

The Swords made of Spiritual Energy shattered against the shield, turning into shards that swept around the area shredding the air and ground.

At some point, the sparkly-eyed dipshit along with Mo Qingzhu and her lackeys had appeared next to Fang Jin. He pulled out a talisman and activated it before cheerfully turning to Bai Hao and giving him a thumbs up, “That Sword Domain is pretty awesome! I look forward to seeing you in action again!

He did not wait for Bai Hao to reply and continued, “Anyways, we gotta go now~. Give my best wishes to that Junior Sister-” he gestured to Xiao Hong, “-and tell her that my offer still stands!

“Tata, bye-bye~!”

The Demonic Cultivators turned into bolts of light and shot into the distance so fast, that even a Nirvana Stage Cultivator had no chance of catching up.

Bai Hao stared at the bolts of light the few of them had turned into with slight reluctance. ‘If only I could keep them here…’ Then, he shook his head. ‘It doesn’t matter. It’s fine as long as my Junior Brother and Sisters are fine.’

He turned to the other side, the Purple Spirit Sect’s disciples were cheering with all their might. Most of them had given up hope and expected to die when faced with a Nirvana Stage True Demon. But here they were, very much alive and safe!

After numerous ups and downs, the disciples could finally rest assured!

Only one disciple had a complex mood. 

Gu Ran had a despondent expression as he stared at his hand that was absorbing the tiny motes of starlight back into itself. No matter how hard he tried, some of those motes of starlight escaped, never to return!

‘T-those are all bits of my Cultivation Base, Heavens-dammit!’

He really wanted to cry as he watched his Cultivation Base fall once again. This time to the 5th Disaster! 

“Fuck!” his sage-like mentality from before was nowhere to be seen!

He looked up to the Heavens with dead eyes. It was all you, wasn’t it?! Fuck you, Heavens!

A/N: I dunno if you guys noticed a change in Fang Jin’s behaviour after he used the Blood Demon Art. I tried to make it subtle, but I can’t really tell.

What do you guys think? Was it subtle? Was it too obvious? Or did I not describe Fang Jin well enough and the change went unnoticed? Or is it something else entirely?

Do tell me.

 

210