Chapter 2
92 7 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a lightless area, a strange Light was floating at high speed in one direction in a place where Light shouldn't be. This "Light" shouldn't be in a place like this, especially since it is a risky place for a "Light" that bears the soul of life. Once light enters this zone, it will be potential prey for the kind that eats a soul itself. Once swallowed, the light will perish, and life enters an eternal slumber. "Light" travels quickly enough to avoid the soul-eating kind.

 

Looking around this area, it was full of dark trees. The Forest of Feast was the name given to this place. It is not exactly a meal that people know about. It is, however, a meal for a devourer, a creature that eats one's soul; they live in labyrinths, the only gateway to the other side of the world. This devourer resembled a hound but was larger, with no flesh but bones and flaming blue eyes. These places also hold the name of the Resurrection; it is once a belief among the residents that reviving the dead is possible in this place. But was later banned and treated as illegal for a reason.

 

In the depths of the forest, not far from the light, a noise could be heard. But the light has nothing to do with it. But something is wrong; the light was drawn to it. There was a ruined temple in this depth, and a few people were circling. They were all wearing hoods; it appeared to be a ritual. Candles were circling a newborn child who was peacefully sleeping, a woman who seemed to be the child's mother, and a man who embraced the crying woman. Seems to be the father of the child.

 

The candle soon lit a blue fire on its own. The fire breathed another fire into the child, blanketing the little one in blue flames. It was warm, but not hot enough to burn. The light was sucked inside the child, and the fire was causing a tornado; it was like a vacuum. The fire quickly shrank, as if it had entered the body with the light.

 

The life bearer had disappeared, and the newborn who was silent began to cry loudly. The tears of the woman became tears of joy. The parents were over joy seeing their newborn cry. It's not the cry that gives them joy but the fact their newborn was alive once more after it died. But this happiness is just for short, they made a "deal" with these people in exchange for resurrecting their child.

 

"Now that I've fulfilled our agreement, don't you think it's time for you to fulfill yours, ex-captain?" said the guy wearing a hood accompanied by a mask concealing their identity.

 

"Please take me then!" the woman cried out. She doesn't want to lose either the child or the father.

 

"Dear... But you too know how harsh the world is considering we are now living outside the city, here in outside danger were almost everywhere. I'm maybe from a powerful household, but for now, I barely have the strength! We won't survive that long before I recover. But if it's you... You could protect our child, so please let me be." The woman appears to have noticed his second thought and proceeded.

 

"Dear, I know you don't want to lose our son and me, but it's better if you're the one who will be with him, protect him, and raise him; he has a future ahead of him..." she said as she caressed her man's face.

 

"What in the world are you saying!? No, you don't! Let me be! I'm ready to sacrifice my life for you and as the father of this family!" declared the man. He was willing to make a sacrifice for both of them. He, too, does not want to lose them both.

 

"But..." He tried, but couldn't think of anything else to say.

 

"Please listen, dear. We can't risk making them our enemy, they're dangerous, and with our current condition, we can't win. We have made a deal with them, we can't get involved any further," she whisper.

 

After a few seconds of silence, the masked man they were speaking with began clapping as he approached them. Both lovers look toward him and have an uneasy feeling about him.

 

"What a wonderful sight to behold, both willing to sacrifice for each other and their child, but what about your child? He's willing to sacrifice himself, right?" he said playfully. It is both parties win, you two get to live together, we got something valuable, and both will be happy, now hand over the child," he continued.

 

"You said You would give him life in exchange for life!" the woman shouted angrily, as the man, the father, gripped the handle of his sword.  The father shouts, "What's the meaning of this!?"

 

"Woah, woah, easy there, love birds, there appears to be a misunderstanding here, don't we?" he replied. "Both of your life's values are nowhere near your child; he inherited both of your blood, making him more valuable, adding the fact he was resurrected."

 

"Oh, I forgot, there is no value in a sorcerer who lost two-thirds of her power after giving birth and plus the "Ex" Captain; I wonder what your use is? when you are an "Ex" Captain," he joked, tapping his chin.

 

The howling cry of a pack of devourers drew everyone's attention. Many of them have spread throughout the area; they appear to have caught their attention during the recent resurrection ritual. They were starving. One bite of it will damage your soul, which cannot be repaired unless you kill the one who caused it.

 

"Let's talk about bad timing; didn't you know you shouldn't meddle in other important agreements? That's rude~ aren't you all a naughty dog?" The man said it playfully and calmly, as if unbothered about the fact it can do to a person's soul.

 

"Veronica, it's our chance, let's run," the father said, pulling the mother, or Veronica as we now call her. Veronica was carrying her newborn while being carried by her child's father.

2