Chapter 2. I’m gonna open a theater shop!
338 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mist City was one of the most famous cities in the kingdom and having the tag of the Academy city, there were bound to be a lot of strong clans and individuals living here. 

Among them, the Wang Clan used to be one of the strongest clans, even having a place among the Four Great Clans of the city. 

But their peak was almost 200 years ago. 

In the last century, they have fallen hard with several of their businesses failing and a lot of cultivators and mages leaving their family. 

Their last hope was their eldest son who was regarded as a prodigy in regards to the Mage Arts. He was supposed to be the one to bring them out of their fall and get them to new heights. 

But last month, he was killed alongside the head patriarch of the Wang family. Both of them, alongside most of the powerful members of the family, were on an expedition to the Tingen Forest to hunt some beast as part of a yearly tradition. 

But then, a beast wave had started due to an earthquake, killing the whole expedition. Only the news of their death had reached Mist City, not even their corpses. 

Hearing that, most of the servants, cultivators and mages had left the Wang clan, leaving only a few alongside Shen Mu. 

A major reason for it was because there was no one to lead the Wang clan now. Kai was the last surviving member as even his mother had passed away when he was young. 

But having a reputation of a chauvinist and being talentless, no one wanted to stand by him. 

He had even gotten defeated by a random nobody in the academy exams. 

That's why, when he had taken over the body of Kai, he was met with a huge empty compound. That was three days ago and compared to that, Kai looked pretty happy today. 

"Young master, why are we going to the entertainment district?" 

Shen Mu asked as he looked at the enthusiastic Kai in front of him. In his mind, he hoped that Kai wasn't going to go meet the ladies in the brothel again. 

The family accounts didn't have a lot of money left for his hedonistic lifestyle. 

"Didn't we have a property there?" Kai asked. Going through his memories, he stumbled upon a particular one when the previous owner of the body wanted to make a brothel in the district, so he didn't have to pay always. 

"We do have one but it's just a small shop. We have given it out for rent to a noodle soup owner but he wasn't able to pay the monthly rent, so it's now empty." Shen Mu explained. "Are we going to sell it?"

"No, it's in the entertainment district. Why would we sell it? That's stupid."

Kai shook his head, thanking the Wang clan in his heart. Even though they were on the brink of collapse, they still had a shop to their name. 

In a costly city like Mist City, having your own shop was a big deal. 

"Tell me something." Kai suddenly got a question. "What do people do for entertainment?"

"Well, they go out to tea shops to play board games or go to brothels. Ah, these days, novels are getting famous, especially ones about cultivators. Are you interested in that, young master?"

"Maybe." Kai said, making a mental note to check out the literary level of this world. He didn't have any memories of reading anything other than some cultivation techniques. "For now, we are going to be setting up our own business."

"Our business?!" Shen Mu was very surprised by Kai's proclamation. He had never even taken a class on finances from his father and he wanted to open a business. 

If it fails, then they really won't have money to eat. 

"Yes, why are you surprised? Isn't money a problem for us?"

"Yes, it is—"

"Then, just follow my lead."

Kai said as the carriage stopped and he got out from it alongside the old servant. He told the driver to go get some tea as he entered the shop. 

When he looked around, he found out that it was bigger than he had expected. 

It was cleaner and after snooping a bit, he found out that there was a big room in the back that he could use as a theatre room. 

Even after that, there would be enough space for other stuff if his system gave him more gifts. He could also make the second floor as a private office if the business ran well. 

"This looks like a good place."

Being in the middle of the entertainment district, there were enough chances for the shop to attract a lot of customers. 

Though, Kai had his own business plans in mind too. 

"Young Master, what kind of business are you going to do? It's hard to run a business in the city." 

Shen Mu suddenly opened his mouth, being unable to hold back his questions that were bubbling up in his mind. 

"Why is that?" He picked up on his last sentence. 

"It's because most of the bigger businesses in the city are owned by top clans. Some are even owned by core cultivators from the Cloudy Heaven Sect. They don't let anyone else be their competition and they are already competing among themselves. Any third party is just quashed."

Shen Mu began to explain. 

Basically, the wealth was in the hands of a few people and as there were a limited amount of businesses one could do in this world that was obsessed with immortality, the top clans and individuals have already made a monopoly. 

This wasn't anything new as the same was true on earth, so Kai just nodded his head. 

"I don't plan to get in their way, you know." He explained to his old servant. 

"What?" Shen Mu blinked his eyes. "They have their hands in every business in the city. We can't afford a clash in our current state."

"I'm not planning to do a business similar to others."

"Young master, please don't joke."

The old man laughed with his wrinkles clearly showing. He clearly didn't believe in whatever Kai was talking about. 

Kai knew that Shen Mu had no trust in Kai, even though he was very loyal. That's why, he decided to first make him believe in him. 

After all, he needed Shen Mu's help if the business had to run well. 

"Wait here for a while. I will be back."

Kai said and walked towards the big, spacious room. He locked the door and opened up his inventory. 

A grid like hologram surfaced in front of him and there were three items placed on the upper left corner. 

He clicked on one of them and in the next moment, a big TV appeared in front of him. 

"That almost scared me."

He muttered as he looked at the TV with surprised eyes. It was the first time using his system and despite preparing himself, Kai had to take a few deep gulps of air to calm himself down. 

He touched the TV and looked for a logo but there was nothing. It was as big as one of the walls but there were no normal slots for any cable or wire. 

There was just one at the back which seemed to be a bit unusual. 

It was then that he noticed that there was an instruction manual that had appeared with it. He picked it and it simply read. 

[Runs on Spirit Crystals. 10 Spirit Crystals for two hours of operation.]

There was nothing else written on it. 

In this world, Spirit Crystals were the currency used by everyone. 500 Spirit Crystals was the monthly income for a household, so 10 in just two hours was not a cheap price. 

Kai understood it very well but his business idea was never going to target the poor. After all, poor people were busy trying to earn money. 

It was the rich who had money to spend on entertainment. 

After putting the TV against a wall, he clicked on the second item in his inventory and immediately, a system notification came out. 

[The copy of <The Conjuring> had been linked to Magic TV. You can view it any moment after selecting it.]

Kai smiled seeing the message and decided to call upon Shen Mu who had started to worry about what he was doing inside. 

When the old man entered the room, he was surprised to see the TV that was not there before. There were no more doors, so it appeared out of nowhere. 

"Young Master, what is this?"

Shen Mu asked, gazing at the shiny black device that he had never seen before. 

"This is called a Television — TV in short." Kai replied, already having prepared a response. "Think of it as a magical artifact that goes back to the Second Epoch."

The history of the world was divided into three eras and right now, they were in the Third Epoch. So, Kai was practically saying that the TV in front of them was more than 1000 years old. 

"It's a secret item of the Wang clan that had never come out in light and had been passed down to me now. I called it out due to the spatial storage item that my father gave me."

Rather than explaining about his system, it was easier to make up a story and Kai was a master in it. After the old patriarch had died, Kai had indeed gotten a will and a few items were passed down to him. 

So, Shen Mu didn't ask too much about it. After all, clans always had more secrets than anyone would know. 

This seemed to be one of them. 

"Young Master, I get that but how are you going to use this TV to run a business? What does it even do?" Shen Mu asked after staring at the TV for a good five minutes. 

"It's used to run movies — A word for tales and stories. The device already had one such movie and we are going to show it to others and take money from them. It's called a theatre business."

A theatre business!

Shen Mu mused those words in his mind for a while. 

He hadn't heard of it before. Although there were occasional stage plays, it was nothing special and there was hardly any money made in it. This was practically an area where there was no competition. 

"Young Master, this old servant of yours doesn't understand your idea properly but how are you going to call upon customers. As an unheard of business, I don't think people would flock to here until they have a reason. Won't they just go to a prostitute or drink tea while reading novels for entertainment."

"Movies are much more interesting than mere prostitutes." Kai made a statement. "As for how to call them, I have a marketing plan in mind. You just help me out with it and call people to do a bit of renovation here. We can't open a business in this state."

In his mind, Kai had already made a grand marketing plan. 

People of this world were more simple and things like noise marketing and other such strategies were not really present. Businesses would just use posters to advertise. 

But Kai had a marketing plan that would easily top it. 

A plan that was going to pull out all the rich young masters in town to his shop to watch <The Conjuring>. 

18