Chapter 5. New victims
273 0 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm going to kill that Wang Kai."

Tang Yan muttered as he walked in the campus of Spirit Academy of Mages and Cultivators. If one looked closely at his face, they would notice that his eyes were devoid of sleep. 

There were dark circles under them and his whole look was dishevelled. 

It was because he was not able to sleep at night after watching <The Conjuring>. 

Whenever he had tried to sleep, the evil spirit had visited him as a nightmare and he would spring up, shouting and screaming. He had even managed to make his servants believe that he had been cursed by someone. 

After all, he had never acted like this before. 

Even if he chanted the "36 mantras" that were designed to calm one down, his heart still beat wildly whenever the image of the movie came in his mind. 

Due to all this, he even failed his class test today on the topic of "Meridians and their effects".

His master scolded him harshly as Tang Yan was one of the brightest students in his class and he didn't expect him to fail a test. 

All this has managed to depress him a lot. 

As he walked to his family estate, he cursed his past self of being so arrogant and thinking that he would be able to watch the movie without any problems. 

It was then that someone called him out. 

"Hey, Tang Yan. I heard something about you today."

When he came out of his thoughts, he saw a brute like man walking towards him. He had blue hair and his whole body was made like a large rock, making him seem like a wrestler. 

His name was Fang Qiyan, one of his rivals in the academy. 

Close to him, his entourage walked including two girls who glued tightly to his sides. It was not an unusual sight as Fang Qiyan was one of the most famous hedonists in the academy. 

"What did you hear?"

Tang Yan asked, already having a bad feeling. 

"I heard that you ran out of a shop, crying and shouting like a little girl. People saw you tearing up on the streets."

"I wasn't crying…" 

Tang Yan wondered how he should salvage this situation. If Fang Qiyan knew of this event, then it meant that it was already spreading in the academy. 

This wasn't a good situation for him. 

"I wondered what was that thing which made the young genius of the Tang clan cry like a little kid."

"Just leave me alone."

"Do you really think I would?"

Fang Qiyan smirked, taking a step forward towards Tang Yan. His lackeys laughed and the two girls giggled. 

Tang Yan felt more embarrassed by the second. 

It was then that an idea struck his mind. 

Knowing that Fang Qiyan wasn't going to let him go, he decided to exaggerate. 

"It was because I watched something that only the toughest cultivators can handle. You are laughing but you don't even know what I went through yesterday. I faced the most fearsome magical artifact, straight from the Second Epoch."

As he said that in a very serious and solemn tone, Fang Qiyan's expression changed a bit. 

The word 'Magical artifact' made him interested alongside 'Second Epoch'. 

Actually, Tang Yan had deliberately thrown that word out because Fang Qiyan's family was a dealer of old magical artifacts and that was the main source of their income. 

"What type of magical artifact?"

"It's called a TV and although it looks simple enough, it gives one illusions of the most fearsome evil spirits. Even a demonic cultivator won't be able to deal with such a thing."

He exaggerated a lot as he explained the events of yesterday. How he had seen the evil spirit in this movie and how he had tried to fight against it, only to fail and get cursed that he was barely able to break. 

As a side effect of it, he was left in that condition. 

Although Tang Yan was a big fan of novels, it won't be wrong to say that he himself could write a story. 

"That thing seems like something out of fiction."

"Yes, if there's really such an evil spirit, then why isn't the academy or the sect doing anything about it."

"How can an artifact control such a strong evil spirit?"

His lackeys asked as they talked among themselves. The two girl's faces have gone ashen as they thought about the evil spirit that Tang Yan was describing. 

"Are you sure you are not bluffing, Tang Yan?"

Fang Qiyan asked, glaring at him but he just shrugged in response. 

"Why don't you check?" He challenged. "I bet you can't even handle it for 30 minutes. You would be crying if you watched it for that long."

After saying all that, Tang Yan silently waited. 

As Fang Qiyan was trying to make fun of him, he wanted to show him how it feels to watch a horror movie. It was his revenge and he knew that if he pushed too hard, he wouldn't take the bait. 

Like he had thought, Fang Qiyan soon opened his mouth after hesitating for a while. 

"Okay, take me to this place."

Tang Yan struggled to hide his smile hearing that. 

***

"Business hasn't been good today."

Kai thought as he laid against the counter, feeling sleepy. Having a shop was really a boring business until it was filled with people. 

In this world, entertainment was scarce and there was no internet, so it was much worse. 

'I wonder if the system would give me the internet.'

He thought in his mind and even though he didn't know how it would work in this world, it surely was an interesting idea to pass time with. 

Only two people have come to the shop today and both have failed to watch <The Conjuring>. 

It seems like word was already spreading about the horror movie and now, people were more scared of losing money. 

Some were even accusing Kai of being a demonic cultivator of sorts. Even if someone managed to call up some cultivators to check, Kai wasn't scared. 

In the first place, Wang clan name wouldn't let just anyone question him and his business. 

As for how to get more customers, Kai really had to rack his brain about it. 

He was sure that those who weren't on the path of cultivation or magic won't even look at his shop no matter how much money they have. 

That was the case with rumours. 

With his shop linked to magic, common people would be very wary of it. Although it wasn't that big of a problem as with more movies that aren't of the horror genre, ordinary people would come by, he still was a bit impatient to complete his quest. 

As he was thinking about those things, a big entourage suddenly walked in. 

Seeing who was leading it, Kai was a bit surprised. 

'I didn't expect to see him here today.'

Kai thought as he looked at Tang Yan. 

The image of him running away from his shop while shouting was still etched in his mind. 

Actually, that was a major reason why the rumours have spread so quickly about his shop. Everyone had seen him running like that and had started to wonder what had happened. 

'He had even brought a big group with him. I hope he won't ask for his money back.'

Thinking of how typical young masters are in the novels he had read, Kai instinctively got wary of him. 

"Hey, these people want to watch your movie."

"<The Conjuring>."

"Yeah, that one. The one with that evil spirit and the family."

Tang Yan said and it was only then did Kai feel a bit relieved. It seemed like he wasn't here to ask for his money back. 

Moreover, he had brought so many customers. 

He could see at least 6 people here including Tang Yan. It seemed like his quest was going to be completed in just two days. 

"So, all of you want to watch the movie?" He asked and looked at the people gathered in his shop. 

"Is it scary?" One of the girls standing beside Fang Qiyan asked. 

"Yes, it's a horror movie. It's very scary." Kai replied honestly. 

"Then, I don't want to watch it. I can't even sleep alone at night. How can I watch something with an evil spirit?"

Hearing that, the other girl also shook her head. 

"Yes, I won't watch either."

"Why? If there's anything I would protect you."

Fang Qiyan said as he patted his chest but it seemed like the girls were adamant about it. 

It seemed like they really didn't want to take any risk. 

"So, 4 people?" Kai asked and Tang Yan shook his head violently. Going inside again to watch that movie was akin to something like death for him. 

He didn't have the will to finish the movie again when he was still struggling with nightmares. 

"I won't go. You can go and check for yourself, Fang Qiyan."

He said as he looked at the burly guy with a smile on his face. 

Fang Qiyan didn't say anything but felt like something wasn't right. Still, he had come all the way here. There was no point in not watching the movie now. 

"Okay, 3 people."

As soon as he said that, one of the lackeys raised his head like he wanted to back out too. 

"Young master."

"What?" Fang Qiyan looked at him with a strong glare and the lackey quickly understood that there was no way out. 

His boss would obviously not let them back out. 

"It's nothing. Let's go inside quickly." He said with a frown and Fang Qiyan paid 25 Spirit Crystals to Kai before walking inside. 

Shen Mu led them towards the theatre room and showed them how the TV worked, then came out of it. 

Knowing that Fang Qiyan and his lackeys were inside, Tang Yan couldn't help but smirk like a villain whose plan had become successful. 

'This guy looked like a coward yesterday but now, he's smiling like a scammer.'

Kai thought in his mind and looked at the clock. 

He wondered how long Fang Qiyan and his group would be able to endure. 

22