Chapter 9. Schemes of a businessman
898 7 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We finally did it!"

"We have finally conquered the fear of the evil spirit!"

Both Fang Qiyan and Tang Yan cried tears of joy as the credits started to roll out in front of their eyes. 

It had taken a week but they had finally conquered <The Conjuring>!

At one point, they have given up on it, but as they had pushed through it due to their greed of getting better mental fortitude and finally finished the movie. 

When they were seeing the final moments of the movie with the family trying to exorcise the evil spirit, their hearts were tense as they rooted for the priest who they assumed to be some kind of holy cultivator. 

Finally, the family was free from the clutches of the evil spirit and both Tang Yan and Fang Qiyan felt like they had won a personal battle. 

At the same time, they were also happy about one more thing. 

"Hey, do you feel it?" Tang Yan asked, his eyes closed, trying to run his qi through his body. There was a strange energy inside, almost soothing that was directly heading towards his mind. 

"Yes, this is the effect of the artifact. It's making our minds tougher." 

Fang Qiyan replied, giving back a smile. A week ago, he had never thought he would be able to feel this good. The feeling was almost like he had made a major breakthrough in his cultivation 

All this was also just by watching a movie. 

Even though it was extremely scary at first, they have gotten used to it as they have watched more. It was even enjoyable at the end and it was way better than just sitting at one place, trying to cultivate. 

"Do you think we would be able to go past the 50 minute mark?" Fang Qiyan asked and Tang Yan thought for a bit before giving out a wry smile. 

Only the top students in third grade are able to breach that mark and it was not easy even for them. 

"Although our mental fortitude has increased, it gets harder and harder in the chamber. We are close to the 45 minute mark, so hopefully."

"Let's see." 

They both talked like that and left the room and saw Kai sipping on noodles with Shen Mu. 

He was looking pleased as the business was just getting better and better. In the last week, more and more people have come to watch <The Conjuring>. Even <Annabelle> was getting good responses from people who were looking to win the bet. 

Though, they were obviously failing, making Kai's pockets deeper. 

"It seems like you finally finished the movie."

Kai said as he looked at the time. Actually, inwardly, he hasn't expected them to take so long to finish it. Even if it was a horror movie, <The Conjuring> wasn't that scary. 

It seemed like the movie has additional effects to make it seem more scary to the person watching it. It made sense since they were receiving a permanent buff. 

"Yes, finally." Tang Yan said and smirked. "So, how about you keep your side of the bet and give us money now that we finished it."

"That bet is over a while back." 

"Don't be like that, Owner. We played with our lives to watch that movie." 

"And you did it for your own benefits."

Tang Yan wasn't able to say anything to that and just dropped his head. Fang Qiyan patted his shoulders and walked out of the shop first, feeling refreshed now that he had completed the movie. 

Almost like he has overcome a great challenge. 

As Tang Yan was following him out, Kai suddenly stopped him. 

"Hey, are you not planning to come here tomorrow?" In the last week, he was coming everyday and Kai was already used to him. Moreover, he was a regular customer. 

"I don't have any money left now." Tang Yan smiled, feeling broke. "I might come from time to time. I did want to check out that new movie you got. Though, it looks as scary as <The Conjuring>."

Although he wanted to get better and better mental fortitude, he was a bit bored of horror movies and his wallet also didn't support it. 

"It is scary." Kai nodded his head, then started talking about the real reason he had stopped Tang Yan. "I was hoping you could do a favour on me."

"A favour?"

"Yes."

Kai smiled as he looked at Tang Yan. For a second, his smile gave off the impression that he was luring the talented cultivator into a trap. 

But Tang Yan was interested to hear. 

"What kind of favour, Owner Kai? And what will I get in return?"

"Well, it's very simple. As for what you would get, let's just say it won't be something disappointing."

Kai said as he started to explain his plan. The more Tang Yan listened, the wider Kai's smile became. 

In the last week, more people had come, but he was nowhere close to getting his quest completed. 

That's why, he needed to do something to attract a ton of customers to his shop and he knew who exactly wanted better mental fortitude. 

***

"Is it true that both Fang Qiyan and Tang Yan broke the 46 minute record for second years?" 

"Yes, that was the record made by the Dragon Lord when he was still a student."

"They are really heaven chosen genuines."

"But it's so weird. They went from 20 something minutes to nearly touching 50 in the span of a week. It's strange no matter what you think."

"That's true."

"Is it true that both of them are taking special pills for it?"

"A pill that could increase one's mental fortitude would go for a ton of money, way more than students would have. I doubt both of them could afford it."

"Yes, but they are from the major clans. How else can one explain this?"

"Maybe they are ch—"

Whispers stopped as Tang Yan entered the classroom. He smiled seeing everyone looking at him like he was a ghost. He quite liked the attention and these days, it has just increased. 

People had even started calling his name among the top ten geniuses in the academy which was obviously doing quite well for his position in his clan. 

Though, he did know a lot of gazes upon him were filled with envy and jealousy. Almost to a degree where he worried that some people would attack him on the way home. 

Normally, he would have just sat on his seat and didn't say anything against the whispers. But today, he has another job. 

"You all really think I have cheated? Even Fang Qiyan?"

He asked, looking at everyone in the room. Some people turned their gazes away while others were too shocked to see him asking that. 

He continued seeing that no one talked. 

"Just so you know, if we had used any sort of item to stay inside the chamber, it would have thrown us out. There's an enchantment on it that makes it impossible for anyone to cheat." He explained and hearing that, some students nodded. 

One of them was unable to hide his curiosity that leaked out of his mouth inevitably. 

"So, how did you do it?" A fat student asked. "No matter what you say, it's very strange that you went from 20 minutes to nearly 50 minutes. Even our master was shocked by it."

"You are right." Tang Yan nodded. "It's indeed very strange. After all, it doesn't make sense." He took a long look around the classroom, trying to make sure that everyone was looking at him. "So, do you want to know how I did it?"

"Obviously we do!" The same guy who had asked the question frantically nodded. 

Others also chipped in as whispers grew in the room. 

"If there's a way for us to do it too, please don't hide it."

"Yes, if I can get my mental fortitude up, I'm pretty sure I would make a breakthrough in my cultivation."

"If you would tell me, I would give my Thunder Fang Blade."

"Hey, that's not fair!"

"Tang Yan, if you tell me, I would give you High grade pills in exchange."

"If you tell me, I would give you a feast of the meat of the Kraken, hunted by my family."

"If you tell me, I would make sure my girlfriend walks the path of dao with you."

"Don't bring your fetishes here!"

Hearing people trying to lure him to give away his secret, Tang Yan stood there and smiled, not speaking any word until everyone has calmed down. 

"Everyone, you don't have to give me anything for my secret as my secret is nothing but a shop in our town. That shop has allowed me to improve so much on my skills and challenge the chamber."

He said, flashing a smile that Kai would have termed as one displayed by the best scammers. 

18