Chapter 2 – The Race (Part 1)
12 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in your family, Adam." The moment before the formation lap, where the pilots and their managers were talking, a strong voice addressed my father.

It was Unari Seka, one of the strong men behind Metaleri Holdings. A black man of tall stature and strong presence. Responsible for sponsoring my father during his days in Formula World support categories.

"This kid worked a lot to get here. It's not because he's my son or anything like that, it's the result of his efforts." My dad was never the type to overpraise me, but he was also about showing that I was more than someone carrying a last name.

Relationships in the business world are based on what both can receive, friendships are rare, and this is also true for motorsport. However, Unari raised my father as if he were his son through his teenhood. I've never understood what he saw in Adam Leicaster, but it's no exaggeration to say that without his patronage, my father wouldn't have been able to reach the top step.

Between the back and forth of various topics, the tone suddenly changed to something more serious, as the man gazed towards me. "So, do you think your little one is championship material?" His voice and words were direct, he seemed to be evaluating me as a business opportunity.

My dad was silent for a few seconds, putting his hand on my head and smiling broadly. "He made me look like an amateur when I was his age. Winning is about more than skills in our sport, but he has what it takes to be a champion." Those words so confidently delivered will resonate in my heart for years to come, especially knowing that my father is a sincere and direct person. Unaki was also aware of this.

The businessman nodded and turned in the opposite direction, ready to walk to another place. "Well, in case you still think that when he's ready to move on from the karts, look for me at the usual place." He waved and walked over to another group, while my dad looked down and decided to tease me. "Looks like you have a future sponsor already in the pipeline."

Last names were no guarantee of a vacancy, just a shortcut to open doors. Your talent would ensure that they remained open. That's an ugly truth of motorsport and something only I'd be able to enjoy, as the person who built Leicaster's reputation did so from nothing. Showing what he was capable of and getting sponsors through his efforts.

"But for now, forget about it. Your job is to have fun. Drive as fast as you can today. Winning races is just a byproduct of that." He always tried to curb my anxiety by making me think about the now and teaching me not to overstep.

Before I could respond, the warning bell rang, directing the pilots to sit in their gear and prepare for the start. "It's time to shine, little star." My father gently placed me in the seat and buckled the seat harness around my chest. He did it firmly to make sure I didn't go flying in case of an accident.

His long and wide fingers made me feel the warmth and care he gave me throughout my childhood as he gently smoothed my hair. "I love you, my son." He told me, helping me put on my helmet too. Thinking back, it almost felt like a farewell.

That was the last time I heard his voice and felt his touch.

Race marshals then proceeded to check each competitor to ensure the cars were safe and the drivers prepared. However, something different happened when it was my turn. I wasn't able to see it as the seat obscured my view, but I felt a slight tool click coming from the back of my kart.

Nothing looked different than usual, so I didn't care. Maybe if I had acted differently, things wouldn't have turned out the way they did. The marshal responsible for checking my equipment passed by me shortly after and appeared nervous about something. Accelerated steps going towards the kart ahead.

Soon, the green flag was waved at the back of the grid. I was in fourth position after a chaotic qualifying session. It was time for the formation lap to start, where we would get some temperature in the tires.

Engines started, the competitor in pole position began to guide the grid at a moderate pace, accelerating and braking as a tactic to warm up the equipment, while others did a zigzag.

I could feel my heart racing from both excitement and nervousness, the last race of the season, where we would define our next stage. Everyone is relentlessly in search of the dream vacancy for the national competition.

Soon, we are back in the starting position, ready for the lights to go out and to take the engine speed to the limit at the start. "I can do it, I can do it!" Repeating those words in my mind over and over, I sought the confidence to do my best.

Five red lights on, one by one going out.

And away we go.

 

Thanks for reading this far. Again, a slightly shorter chapter, but one that I was able to convey what I wanted with it. I hope you all appreciate it the same way I am while writing.

1