Chapter 17
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
In this story, [ ] are used for words spoken out loud/dialogues

 

Ocelio took out a piece of paper from his pocket, which read: Selatonice Eumenidos – 22nd residence, 13th street, prosperous district.

His face looked tired, he continued to walk in slow steps toward the exit of the dead-end while releasing a long yawn.
Last night, he had only managed to sleep for two hours. He spent the rest of the night in meditation, sending the blood he had ingested into his bloodsea.
Due to the amount he had sucked out of Korrito, he had only absorbed 1 quarter of her blood, leaving the rest in his stomach.

He creased his eyes, staring at the crystals radiating countless rays of light down on the city.
The citizens were coming out of their houses one by one, either going to work or entering the restaurants to have their breakfast.

For the first time since he arrived, Ocelio decided to take a carriage to his destination. Even when the anxious driver indicated to him that he could not enter the prosperous district without authorisation, Ocelio still urged him to go.

He took out the badge from the Warrior Association, he stroked its smooth white surface, examining the sword and wand engraved within.

He appeared deep in thought for a moment before going into a meditative state, continuing the absorption process of the blood in his stomach.

When the driver interrupting him, signalling that they had reached the border of the prosperous district, Ocelio did not open one eye.
He threw down the badge through the window at the feet of one of the guards.

A few moments later, the coach was driving his carriage on the paved streets of the prosperous district. His eyes wandered left and right, glancing at every house on both sides of the streets.

On more occasions than one, the horse seemed to be one driving the carriage with no else directing him but his curious eyes and big brown nose.

[Sir, we’ve arrived…]

The coach gulped his saliva at the opulence of the street. Tall columns of white stone with red crystals glowing at the top were arranged on both sides of the road. Large manors with yellow gardens could be seen beyond the walls. From his elevated spot, he could even see the clean windows and the servants going in and out of the residences.

[How much?]

Ocelio appeared just as dazzled by the scene. This was a completely different sight from the rest of the city.

[No need sir, this is the first time I’m allowed inside the district. It’s me who is thankful.]

The coach handed him his Warrior badge with both hands as if it was a precious treasure.
The carriage had only had time to depart from its spot that the gate of the manor in front of him opened. A man with short brown hair came running.

[Good morning sir, I’m Euanthes, a butler of the Eumenidos family. Sir must be the guest of lady Selatonice?]

[That’s right, I came a bit early.]

[No, no, lady Selatonice is always ready to entertain her guest.]

Ocelio followed the man who introduced himself as a butler into the grey-coloured manor. Like the others nearby, it seemed to be made with the same material but a layer of paint made it look unique in a row of white houses.

[Please, this way. I’ll announce your presence to the lady. Can I serve you a drink or something to eat?]

[No need.]

The butler bowed, speaking in a polite tone.

[Then, please, excuse me.]

While waiting in the reception room, Ocelio continued to absorb the blood inside of him. Every drop allowed him to increase his abilities potency and get closer to awakening his bloodline.

For a vampire, blood was the best way to increase his strength. Everything was based on the bloodline, their whole existence was reliant on it.

A few minutes later, a young lady with long golden hair rushed into the room. Her eyes glowed with impatience as she pushed the doors aside. She exhaled rapid, short breaths, only slowing down when her sight landed on Ocelio.

[Sir Ocelio. I’m sorry for making you wait. I’m so glad to see you again.]

Her sharp eyes turned gentler as a wide smile surfaced on her face.

Behind her, another figure came trotting into the room.

[Briseis…Yes, I’m also glad to see you both.]

Selatonice wore a long dark blue dress that hugged her body, accentuating her gorgeous appearance.
An elegant pin in the form of a butterfly was placed in her hair. A small amount of make-up coloured her lips and eyelids with vivid tones, giving her a coquettish charm.

Yet, his eyes had only stopped on her for a second. His attention seemed attracted toward the green-haired girl standing behind her cousin.

She wore a simple white skirt that revealed her ankles and a dark green blouse. Her cheeks blushed into a faint pink when she noticed his stare. She stood right behind Selatonice, hiding half of her body behind her.

[Sir Ocelio, we are just in time, shall we depart now?]

He frowned, appearing to be bothered by the way he was called.

[You can call me Ocelio and I’ll call you by your first name, is that alright?]

[Yes, yes, thank you.]

The impatience on Selatonice’s face disappeared in a blink, turning into excitement. She stood close to him as she began to talk about the art exposition, the silent Briseis trailing behind.

[Ocelio, you are lucky. I’ve inquired and found out that there would be excellent items during this month’s auction. All the nanti families will be participating. Since you became famous, I expect that they’ll be aware of your presence and will be preparing gifts…]

[Why would they know about me?]

They had just got out of the manor, heading toward the side where a carriage was waiting for them when both Selatonice and Briseis made a surprised face.

[You don’t know? Everyone in the nanti circle know about you. A noble in the city; you don’t know how many people were excited at the prospect of meeting you. When my mother learnt that I had would be going to the art exposition with you, she…]

She ended her sentence without going further, her cheeks blossomed into red peaches as she bit her lips with a shy expression.

[And a city official made a report about you yesterday. From the official district, it was leaked to the prosperous district, at that point, there wasn’t a single family who didn’t know about your unique appearance.]

[I see…]

[Please don’t blame us. Nobles never come to our city, most of us have never seen one in our lives. Mh, where is your carriage?]

[My carriage?]

He looked dumbstruck by the question. They were standing in front of a carriage, he seemed to assume they would all leave for the art exposition inside.

Seeing his surprise, Selatonice appeared to have understood the situation.

[Well…it’s alright this way too…We can use my carriage…together.]

Her face flushed red, however, Briseis’ reaction was even more intense. Her fearful eyes seemed to be struggling as if she was panicking.

[Why, what’s the issue?]

The two girls looked at each other, Briseis seemed to be pleading her cousin.

[It’s okay, let get inside, I’ll tell you why people don’t usually share carriages. Though, do people not have the same custom in the capital?]

When all three of them made their way inside and left the estate, a pair of eyes disappeared from a window on the second floor.

[Good girl, Mother is counting on you.]

The figure turned around, facing an old man sitting on a chair.

[She’s still too young, there’s a low chance it’ll succeed.]

[She’s my daughter, what she wants, she can acquire. Didn’t I prove it to you already?]

Her coy voice resounded within the office. A few instants later, a tired sigh responded to her.

[Fair enough, I’ll give her a chance. But you know my decision if she fails.]

[An opportunity is all I ask for.]

Back in the carriage, Briseis looked as if she was trying to make herself as small as possible, her ears were bright red as she listened to her cousin’s voice.

[Sharing a carriage between males and females in our city is kind of unusual. In normal circumstances, women who are seen sharing the same carriage as a man, with neither of them wearing the oath bracelet is…seen as a man travelling with his mistresses…The only exception to this is if the man is of the same family…]

She stared at Ocelio with a shy countenance, a faint trace of expectation in her eyes.

The corner of his lips rose into a smile, the bangs on the side of his face shook along with the movements of the carriage.

[Then why did you agree? Are you not scared of what others would think of you?]

Ever since their first encounter, a competitive spirit seemed to have sparked between them. Ocelio showed a playfulness he usually only had when he was with his sister, Eribea.

She returned a bright smile in response; her hand stroked a few strands of her long golden hair.

[Who would dare say that the lady of the Eumenidos family is promiscuous. Humph, they are too busy trying to flatter me in hope that I would talk to them.]

Ocelio laughed at the honest words that leaked from her lips.

[Then, does that mean that it’s not the first time that you’ve shared a carriage with a male?]

Ocelio stared at her with a teasing smile. His red eyes shone with a strange light as if he was judging her.

[Of course not! I am not a cheap woman! Who dares to invite me to his carriage in this city? They don’t even dare look me in the eyes. If anyone tries to even flirt with me, by the end of the day, he won’t even have a pillow to cry on.]

The mood in the carriage had become light and even Briseis smiled at their exchange.

Ocelio appeared to have understood something from her words. He frowned as he looked at her delicate and pretty appearance. He gave a glance at Briseis before speaking.

[Is…it your family?]

She gave a sad smile, surprise showing in her eyes.

[You understand me well. I may have spoken a bit too much. Please don’t pay attention to the rambling of a rich lady. We’ve almost arrived.]

[If…what are you going to do?]

He hesitated, shaping his words to sound as if he was detached from the situation, but curious about her intention.

[What can daughters of powerful families do but submit to their parents’ will…I can’t very well flee into the wilderness, all I have is my wits and beauty. So, I’ll enjoy my life while I retain some control over it.]

The carriage had come to a stop as she was talking.
The sound of other carriages travelling on the paved road reached them, they sat in complete silence as if waiting for one of them to be the first one to leave.

[You’re so strong…if it was me, I don’t know what I would do…]

Briseis soft voice broke the silence, attracting Ocelio and Selatonice’s attention.

She was kneading her fingers, her brown eyes stared on the floor, a lost expression on her face.
She seemed to know what Selatonice was trying to hide from Ocelio.

[Well, dear cousin, I believe you would cry all the tears in your body but nod when asked if you want to marry a fat, ugly, spoiled man just to please your parents.]

She said it in a joking tone as she rose and opened the door, however, Briseis seemed to have taken it with seriousness. She gripped her fists until her skin became pale, a scared expression on her face.

[Would I, really…?]

Seeing that the other two had left, she hurried to get out of the carriage, almost falling to the ground but managed to grab the door in the last second.

[Ouch.]

Ocelio was walking beside Selatonice, however, right before he heard Briseis’ voice from behind, his body froze.

His red eyes glowed in the colour of blood, his tongue extended out to lick his lips as a faint smell entered his nostrils, spreading all over his body, making his spine tingle.

Selatonice had noticed the changes in his countenance but only showed confusion at it.
When she turned around and saw blood leaking from her cousin’s hand, she berated her in an angry voice.

[Silly girl, can’t you choose a better situation to be clumsy…Caleope, treat this cousin of mine, would you.]

[It’s alright, I’ll handle this.]

Ocelio came beside Briseis and took her hand, wiping the wound with his handkerchief before pressing it on her finger to absorb the blood.

Briseis hissed in pain, her brown eyes turned wet with tears. She glanced at the male by her side with a pitiful appearance.

[It’ll be okay, the wound will close soon.]

Ocelio gave her a wide smile, his two red eyes shifted into a crescent shape as if he was happy about something.

This story is registered in Scribble Hub first anniversary competition. If you like the story, please add it to your reading list.

0