Chapter 3
57 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
In this story, [ ] are used for words spoken out loud/dialogues

After recording all the information and conjectures in a book, he stored it in a bookshelf that had popped into existence.
On the shelves were already many books recording experiments and his thoughts on a number of subjects. It appeared to be the only place where he lowered his vigilance, a place he put his entire being into.

He never revealed anything about this space to anyone, nor had he ever shared his accomplishments on talisman crafting to his lifeblood.

In his world, magic has long ceased to exist. Along with vampires, magicians were hunted and killed on sight. Both were associated with the Devil, even though the vampires were not the only one wielding magic, some humans and the magical beasts could use it too.

Alchemy, which incorporated talisman crafting had died out due to the scarce amount of resources produced in the world. Only metals were still in abundance, which saved professions such as engravers and jewellers who used glyphs to enhance the aspects of items.

It was after reading a book on engraving that Ocelio became interested in learning the glyph language. Only after searching for a few months through the region did his father manage to procure some books on the art of talisman crafting on his request.
To humans, books on alchemy had no value. The market had no supply since there was no demand for it. Only someone like Ocelio who could bypass the issue of insufficient resources could learn this art.

His ability to create an endless supply of resources was linked to his vampiric nature.
Every vampire was born with a specific nature that shaped his power. The bloodline they inherited from their parents determined the vampire’s nature.
Ocelio’s nature was Shacaw, a bloodline specialised in creating illusions and shapeshifting
Due to his special circumstance, Ocelio couldn’t use his vampire’s power since his birth, all he had access to was his soul’s power.

At an early age, using only his spiritual power, he studied and reproduced the effect of the Shacaw illusion technique to trap people mind in an illusion.
He had tested it on his sister and discovered that it was harder to influence a person’s mind depending on his state. The more vigilant they were, the more likely it was for the technique to fail. Each failure would create a backlash and damage his soul, requiring weeks to heal.

When he returned to reality, he entered a meditative state to recover his spiritual energy and then left his bedroom.
There was still an hour before dinner but he seemed in the mood for a stroll in the shelter.

He was about to pass by his parents' bedroom when he froze. His skin was tingling, his hair stood on end as he felt a sliver of killing intent leak from their door.

Every bedroom in the shelter was isolated with anti-sound, anti-vibration and anti-aura materials. It was meant to give vampires privacy and prevent the bunker from being located. However, Ocelio senses were much keener than others, especially his spiritual perception.

He came closer to the wall, tendrils of his spiritual aura came into contact with the wall, strong resistance from the anti-aura material pushed him back but when he increased his spiritual perception’s power, he managed to penetrate the wall a few centimetres in.

[…this is our chance to cure our son, why do you always bring everything back to your stupid pride. Only with the coordinated help of others powerful lifeblood would we be able to cure Ocelio, don’t you care about him? It won’t even hurt him, he’s our son, he can deal with a simple blood test!]

His mother voice came through his aura, the irritation contained within was magnified by the spiritual perception, making him pull his head back in reflex.

[…blood is our dignity, we only spill it on the battlefield, never should it treated as a bargaining tool…how can you place your trust in someone who has no regard for your dignity…they’re not here to ensure Ocelio’s safety, their interest lies in his bloodline…how they looked at him at lunch, their attention was focused on his eyes yet they didn’t seem surprised as… information on him. We can’t…to their demands.]

His father voice was much harder to understand, it was transmitted as a whisper to his brain. However, he could hear the pride and determination contained within. Ocelio’s heart started beating at a rapid pace as he seemed to have realised what they were talking about.

All of a sudden, someone’s steps could be heard approaching the corridor.
Ocelio gritted his teeth, his aura inside the wall returned to his body as his eyes focused on his left.
He seemed to already know who it was based on the sound of her steps.

When her body appeared within his field of vision, his eyes became surrounded in a translucent aura. As if attracted by something, their eyes met.
The woman he had seen during lunch stared at him in a daze.
It took three seconds for her to break eye contact, turn around and leave.

Ocelio seemed surprised at how easy it had been. She had offered no resistance; her spiritual aura was almost non-existent.
Shaking his head, he focused his attention back on the wall. Even without imbuing his spiritual perception in it, he could feel the vibration and the killing intent boiling within.

[So you will let him die? For your little pride? I will not let you put my son’s life at risk. Whatever it will take, I will cure him and watch him grow into a powerful vampire, into a Lifeblood Lord!]

As soon as his spiritual perception penetrated the wall, he shielded his ears from his mother’s screaming voice. However, it seemed useless, he wasn’t hearing the voices but feeling them through a 6th sense, through his soul.

[And how do you intend to do that? Place your son in their hands then beg them to follow you into massacring human cities?]

Ocelio shuddered when he heard his father’s voice.
His words were filled with cutting sarcasm, his tone had become ice cold.

[They only want to draw a drop of his blood to verify his bloodline’s purity, once they ascertain his high potential their interest will be the same as ours! To cure him of his illness so he can marry their Lifeblood Lord’s daughter! She may have tried to change her appearance but I know well how her mother looks like, she can’t fool my eyes.]

His mother voice was now almost inaudible, he had to press his ear on the wall to hear it. His eyes widened in shock as the words registered in his brain.

[So, this is why you want to accept? You say it’s to protect Ocelio but we both know it’s not isn’t it. Ever since I first met you, I’ve seen the ambition burning in your veins, just like your mother. You want Ocelio to marry that woman so he can bring some benefits to you. You’re ready to sell his blood and soul…]

His spiritual perception broke apart, he gripped his chest in pain, the illness seemed to have reawakened inside his body.
He fought against the pain using sheer willpower, dragging his wheelchair forward, he went back to his room.

Shock and pain alternated on his face when he closed his bedroom’s door.
Using a breathing technique, he tried to diminish the pain felt through his body before entering a meditative state to recover the spiritual energy he had expended.

He had barely recovered 20% of his spiritual energy when his mother knocked on his door. She entered with a tired smile, telling him it was time for dinner.
He appeared to see the exhaustion weighing on her as he stared at her in silence.

[Did you have a good sleep?]

He hesitated for a second before nodding his head.

[Good. There's a banquet organised for our guests tonight, I promise, it's the last one.]

He released a heavy sigh, letting his mother push his wheelchair outside.

When they reached the official hall that was normally used for ceremonies or to host guests, Thelma had moved to stand by his side.

Ocelio’s dark eyes stared ahead with an emotionless expression, the traditional Amister clothes hugged his body in a tight fit, his dark hair fell on both sides of his face, making him look elegant and mysterious.

The guests were already gathered near his father and sister. Among them, the woman he had used his hypnosis on stood with a bored expression on her pale face, her auburn hair was tied into a bun and her human clothes made her look unremarkable. When she noticed his gaze, her cheeks blushed as she smiled at him.

His mother patted his shoulder before she went to join them.
Ocelio ignored everything, heading straight to the banquet table.

The variety and amount of food provided in tonight’s banquet seemed able to rival to what the city lord of the city above could afford.
Food had become a luxury and his parents as hosts appeared willing to show a great amount of courtesy to their guests by providing such a feast.

He could hear his parents exchange pleasantries with the guests before they moved to the banquet table.
Unlike during lunch, this time they didn’t seem focused on the food. Instead, they drank the wine provided and continued to have small talk with his parents.

All of sudden, the middle-aged man with white hair which appeared to be their leader made a remark about them.

[I must say, the first time I’ve heard about your children, I thought it was a mere exaggeration, however, now that I see them, I must admit that I’ve become envious. As expected of the prestigious Enigma lineage: An incredible beauty and a pure bloodline. It would be the dream of many to marry these two promising young vampires.]

Ocelio’s face did not change, he appeared to not have caught the meaning of the vampire’s words. He slowly wiped the side of his mouth with his napkin before drinking the aromatic wine in his cup.

His father, Thereus Enigma, stroked his short white beard in apparent pride.

[Thank you for your praise Philotas. The Enigma Lifeblood would never let down anyone, even when it’s about the excellence of our children.]

They laughed and exchanged pleasantries, but the subject had shifted to their marriage and the guests didn't seem to want to shift the subject. They mentioned several times their own family members, praising their etiquette and abilities.
But they never compared them with Ocelio and Eribea, only hinting at the compatibility between them.

Eribea seemed to have been informed beforehand, yet she still appeared shy seeing how the young man in front her kept stealing glances at her.

[Excuse me for my bluntness but I can’t help but wonder, just how high is your son’s bloodline’s purity. I’m sure I’m not the only one.]

As if it was planned, the other vampires started joking about his bloodline purity, saying that based on his family name it must be high or perfect.

It was at this moment that Thelma rose from her seat. Thereus gave her a displeased glance but remained silent.

[Well, I already know the answer to that, I can share it with you but I’m sure you would be more interested in seeing it with your own eyes.]

Ocelio could hear his mother high heel hit the ground with every step. Getting closer with every second.
He could sense his sister’s worried eyes fall on him and hear the wrinkling of her dress as her fingers held it in a tight grip.
He could see the glow in the woman’s red eyes, hear her heartbeat accelerate in her chest.
He could sense the interest from the men and the anger in his father’s eyes as he looked at his wife.

A thin smile surfaced on his lips, he closed his eyes and offered his arm to his mother.
She appeared surprised by his response but she still took the syringe to his arm.

When the drop of blood appeared within the container of the syringe, the tension was at its highest. The vampires' eyes all focused on the drop of blood as if it was the most valuable thing in the world.

[Here Liana, open your mouth.]

Thelma went straight to the only woman amongst the guests.

[Wait, let me be the appraiser.]

Thelma gave a small laugh, her red eyes stared at the white-haired man with mirth.

[Why Philotas, you don’t trust her judgement? Your Lifeblood Lord’s daughter’s judgement?]

His eyes narrowed; his smile disappeared as his face turned serious.

[How did you know? You never met her before.]

[Please Philotas, I’m not a naïve woman. I’ve known her mother, ever since she stepped into this shelter, I’ve always known her identity. Do you really think you could fool me by using a Shacaw trick?]

Meanwhile, Liana had received the blood on her tongue and closed her mouth to taste it. Her pupils dilated as her face became covered in a mask of ecstasy. She licked her lips and released a heated moan as if it was the most pleasurable experience in the world.

[There, let it dilute in your veins, take it easy sweety, you’re not alone here.]

When she felt Thelma’s hand on her shoulder she seemed to have returned to reality, her whole face flushed with shame.

Her group, however, didn’t seem to be embarrassed by her outburst. Joy covered their faces as they seemed to have already gotten the result.
Philotas still questioned her despite this.

[Perfect. It was incredible…the purest I’ve ever tasted in my life.]

She glanced at Ocelio with admiration overflowing from her eyes.
Noticing how affectionate the girl had become, Thelma smiled in satisfaction.

[Well, I heard you praise both of my children, yet it seems only one of them receive love and affection from your side. Were you only spouting empty words to coax us?]

At this point, their group was all smile. Ocelio kept receiving warm glances from them as if he was a long lost member of their family that they had only now recognised.
Philotas continued to discuss with his mother in regard to some of their young vampires who had potential and could be a match for Eribea.

Meanwhile, Thereus and Ocelio both had the same cold, emotionless look on their face.
They did not even glance at the guests, Thereus exuded a cold pressure around him while Ocelio was as silent as a tomb.

This story is registered in Scribble Hub first anniversary competition. If you like the story, please add it to your reading list.

0