54 – Games and Fun, Again at Last?
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eden, The Edge

Seijuro ducks under the creature’s giant pincers as it scurries after her, momentarily finding herself face to face with the insect and its many yellow eyes as it shrieks terribly… Her first punch is already on its way, however, before it manages to strike again, blowing to a pulp one of its eyes with deadly precision.

Seemingly more enraged than hurt, the creature trashes violently as Seijuro rolls away, narrowly dodging its sharp appendages.

Unfortunately, the giant mushroom cave she finds herself in offers little in terms of natural weapons, despite Seijuro’s best efforts at finding something useful as she circles the large insectoid creature, easily maintaining herself ahead of its movements.

Albeit predictable, it is still faster than her. Approaching carelessly would be dangerous…

Spotting a large mushroom tree, Seijuro beelines in its direction as she continues to avoid the enraged creature’s attacks, steps against it, and jumps over the insect’s carapace, using its brief moment of confusion as it headbutts against the three to build some distance in between them.

Clicking her mandibles in annoyance, Seijuro stares at the giant pincer bug-like creature from afar as it recovers its bearings.

Should she run?

Attempting to damage the insect’s large carapace has proven fruitless so far, and her avatar simply isn’t fast enough to repeatedly strike at its weak points… Its six legs seem breakable enough; however, she failed to cause any perceivable damage after repeatedly attempting to do so.

Is it simply a matter of level? Differences in sturdiness and strength?

Seijuro releases an internal sigh as the creature once more charges, or rather, scurries after her.

She bets its stamina is also much greater than hers. And, if the game resembles in any real life, it should have the senses to easily pursue her even if she somehow manages to build a good head start.

Meeting the insect head-on, Seijuro slides underneath its pincer attack, then rolls away. Thankfully, the creature seems to have trouble changing directions abruptly due to its body’s structure.

Now, if only she manages to find a way to damage it…

Her spit attack failed to leave any lasting damage over its carapace, but it should be about to recharge soon, and the insect’s eyes are an obvio-

Seijuro widens her eyes as the insect abruptly turns its head and snaps its pincers toward her, rending her sidestep a bit too slow to avoid them completely.

What?! Some sort of skill?!

Sparing no more than a glance toward her missing arm, and the green streaks of blood gushing into the air, Seijuro kicks the insect’s joint as it attempts to follow up on its attack, robbing it of its balance for a brief moment… Moment which is long enough, however, for the now familiar build up in her throat to complete its ascent.

The insect’s yellow eyes, utterly devoid of emotion, meet Seijuro’s as it attempts to rise; The princess’s cold gaze and open jaws will be the last thing it’ll ever see.

A horrible shriek, followed by a rancid smell and a small cloud of green smoke surrounding the creature’s face accompany Seijuro’s retreat.

As much as she’d like to stay and finish the job…

Character screen!

 

User: Seijuro Aston | Species: Dryghr | Level: 05 | XP: 28%

Strength: 70 (70) | Agility: 91 (91) | Sturdiness: 24 (56) | Stamina: 26/140

Skills: Dark Vision 7/10, Acid Resistance 4/10, Poison Resistance 4/10, Clarity of Mind 5/10, Creature of Darkness 1/10, Acid Spit 2/10

Active Quests: Kill, kill, kILL!

 

Seijuro snaps her pincers in annoyance. Being nearly out of stamina, she’ll struggle to dodge the creature’s blind attacks, and without a way to stanch the blood flow, her sturdiness won’t stop dropping…

About a point every two seconds? Hopeless.

After one last glance in the frantic insect’s direction, shaking her head, Seijuro sends the System a command to disconnect…

…Awakening in her room, Seijuro removes Eden’s headgear from a slightly sweaty scalp as she inspects her dimly lit surroundings. Without the effects of Clarity of Mind, frustration and anger rush through her body, clouding her vision as she clenches her teeth and stops just short of releasing a scream.

She had promised herself she’d shower and change after dying once. But how could she? How could she!?

Anger and frustration are followed by self-hatred as Seijuro once more wears the source of said frustration and lays against her pillow, closing her eyes...

…Eden’s gray space is no different now than it was when she first played the game, with the exception of possessing a giant insectoid’s statue, of course; Statue which she immediately heads toward.

“Having any fun?”

Seijuro ignores Tutorial’s smug grin as she walks by it in order to place her hand against the insect god’s statue. Although the headache she feels upon doing so is now much less noticeable than before, it is still present, as are the thousands of whispering voices to assault her mind all at once.

Send me back,’ Seijuro demands.

KIn.

wIshEs…

concedE.

…Awakening inside an insect egg is now a familiar experience, and the soothing mantle provided by a lack of overwhelming emotions a welcomed one.

Ironically, becoming an insect in a game is what allows her to think clearly these days. Surely, the technology will reach the real world soon?

Seijuro breaks from her egg’s enclosure with ease, the following fall posing no problems for her leveled avatar.

Speaking of which…

 

User: Seijuro Aston | Species: Dryghr | Level: 04 | XP: 78%

Strength: 63 (70) | Agility: 84 (91) | Sturdiness: 52 (56) | Stamina: 129/130

Skills: Dark Vision 7/10, Acid Resistance 4/10, Poison Resistance 4/10, Clarity of Mind 5/10, Creature of Darkness 1/10, Acid Spit 2/10

Active Quests: Kill, kill, kILL!

 

She expected as much, though it is still a disappointment to confirm that the insect did not provide any experience whatsoever after how much effort she put into fighting it. She can only assume its survival is responsible for that…

Would it still give something if it dies hours, or even days after she hurt it?

She doubts it. Even if the game rewards partial experience for an indirect kill, there must be some sort of time limit to it… Meaning, from now on, she should avoid fights she’s unlikely to win…

After waving her character screen away, Seijuro performs a quick scan of her spawn cave, a scan which reveals nothing out of the ordinary… That is, other than a second broken egg, aside from her own.

Seijuro double-takes it, confirming that it is, indeed, what she thought it was. And fresh, judging by the undried mucus still sticking to it.

Well, considering the rate at which things are born and then immediately killed in this place, she supposes she was bound to run into a fellow member of her species sooner or later.

If this is a player, however…

Seijuro shrugs. They have little to do with her.

Heading out of the cave through the usual small opening, Seijuro soon comes across the vast abyss she has now grown somewhat used to, although the vision of it still sets off more alarms in her brain than she cares to count.

And, having learned her lesson the hard way, she doesn’t dwell for more than a second or two – enough to identify the closest opening – before freefalling along the wall toward it.

By the time Seijuro scurries inside, the noise of beating wings is already faintly perceivable in the distance, though the fact hardly stops Seijuro from moving along.

One day, she’ll be able to face them, but for now, she suspects she’d find herself losing more levels than gaining…

Seijuro drags herself through the narrow tunnel opening without looking back. Then, while sweeping her eyes through the dark in search of strange bulges or shapes, she moves forward with determined steps.

Last time, she couldn’t find any of the strange bugs, or fleas, and it seems she is once more out of luck, considering they provided good experience even if they managed to overpower her in the end…

After a minute or so of walking through the dark, a glimpse of brightness ahead catches Seijuro’s gaze; the soft luminosity of a glowing mushroom growing near the passage’s ceiling, she soon realizes.

And upon approaching the strange fungus, Seijuro notices it marks a fork in the passage, where one path leads to a slight decline of impenetrable darkness, and the other to a bigger passage containing more mushrooms along a slight incline.

Seijuro assumes the second passage will most likely lead to a bigger section of this place, which she has now experienced twice, and lovingly baptized: The Mushroom Forest.

As for the first one… Darker and scarier places, that much she is certain of.

Seijuro doesn’t hesitate in taking the brighter passage; Better to stick to what she knows, for now, rather than risk losing another half level.

It isn’t long before the passage grows even larger, resembling a cavern, then opening up to a massive open space of gargantuan proportions, where Seijuro finds herself atop some sort of elevated cliff overseeing the giant forest of mushrooms below…

Given her elevated perspective, Seijuro realizes in shock she’s able to see what must be several kilometers of strange flora, and what’s more, hundreds, if not thousands, of insects moving throughout it, some of which she’s able to catch mere glimpses of movement from, while some seem to reshape their environment merely by moving, such is their size…

After a moment, Seijuro steps back from the cliff’s edge, clicking her pincers uncertainly.

This is… The proportions of this place… Just how many types of insects and plants…

Seijuro stares at her hands while opening and closing eight chubby, strange insect fingers.

Her father… What has he helped create, exactly? Eden… Could it truly help her mother…?

However, Seijuro’s ruminations, and shock, are abruptly interrupted as she catches a flick of movement from the corner of her eyes, having only time to step back once before something rushes past her vision, and then once more before it turns, aimed at her chest.

At this point, Seijuro’s decade of martial arts training has kicked in, and the dagger shooting toward her chest is harmlessly tossed aside as she reflexively strikes the hand attached to it, then turns and kicks her attacker squarely in the chest, sending them tumbling back.

Rather than rushing in after them, however, Seijuro stops and takes a moment to study her opponent, feeling strangely calm despite what was clearly an attempt against her life.

And upon doing so, Seijuro instantly recognizes the creature’s black, insectoid silhouette as it raises bright green eyes to stare at her.

…A player?

Seijuro would’ve frowned had her avatar permitted her to do so. Instead, her gaze wanders toward the insectoid’s hand, and the makeshift dagger in its grip, then toward a second one, now lying on the ground.

The daggers seem an amalgamation of a creature’s claw and bone put together by some sort of vine… Barely more than a toy, but still better than their avatar’s worthless hands, she supposes. And their owner must have put them together at record speed if theirs is the hatched egg she found earlier.

As Seijuro’s opponent slowly raises, assuming a fighting stance she recognizes as a military one, dagger at the ready and green eyes glowing dangerously, the princess cocks her head.

Attacked by a member of her own military… Or maybe a retired one? Alas, judging by the speed through which they moved, her adversary can’t be much higher leveled than her, and the training they received, even if exceptional, cannot compare to the sort of education she received at the Institute, and from Kuro…

The black insectoid creature suddenly opens its jaw, shooting a green ball of liquid through the air then immediately following it up as it dashes toward Seijuro, who, having ducked under his Acid Spit, steps back from his dagger slashes, carefully maintaining herself outside of her adversary’s reach.

Circling each other, they dance for several seconds until Seijuro finally steps forward, grabbing the creature’s arm mid-thrust as she front kicks its stomach, sending it stumbling toward the cliff’s edge.

Unfortunately, their current condition as Dryghrs does not allow for much communication other than gestures, and as such, Seijuro simply flips her opponent a finger – not exactly her middle one, though she’s sure the meaning was conveyed well enough – before sending them over the edge with a ball of acid as a parting gift.

In the following silence, Seijuro allows herself a moment to regain her bearings, before walking toward the edge in order to confirm her kill.

Sure enough, the black insectoid’s broken silhouette is easily spotted a couple of dozen meters below, and Seijuro nods to herself after staring at it for a moment... Not that she expected it to rise, of course, its player would have no reason to continue playing on a wrecked avatar even if they somehow managed to survive.

What now?

From her elevated position, Seijuro sweeps her gaze over the gigantic space, observing the insects and plants below...

It is clear she’ll have to learn about them if she intends to journey through this strange world; Or, at least, level her avatar enough so as to not have to worry about every single little thing to block her path.

Speaking of which…

 

User: Seijuro Aston | Species: Dryghr | Level: 04 | XP: 78%

Strength: 63 (70) | Agility: 84 (91) | Sturdiness: 52 (56) | Stamina: 112/130

Skills: Dark Vision 7/10, Acid Resistance 4/10, Poison Resistance 4/10, Clarity of Mind 5/10, Creature of Darkness 1/10, Acid Spit 2/10

Active Quests: Kill, kill, kILL!

 

Shame, but no experience for killing other players, it seems. The soldier must have been after thinning the competition then, or simply eager to test themselves.

Glancing toward their body, now swarmed by some sort of insect or another, Seijuro shrugs.

It’s showtime.

 

***

Eden, Highpond

Sara feels Leaf’s paws against her skin even before she has a chance to open her eyes, and they’re scurrying away soon after, their voice floating softly against her thoughts as they do so, ‘I shall keep myself out of sight, as discussed.

Be careful.

As Sara opens her eyes, taking in the large statue before her, and the kneeling beastkins around, she slowly rises to a standing position, giving their patron God’s statue a light pat in the form of thanks.

The beastkin temple is just as she remembers it: dark, filled with whispers of prayer, and strangely heavy. The ground is wet, slightly covered by a layer of shallow water, but the keeling bearskin don’t seem to mind it, even if many of them throw socked stares toward her, evidently spooked by her appearance.

An old avian man, however, soon approaches, weaving through the few beastikin present as he whispers calming words to them while walking past. The man wears the same white robes most of the kneeling beastkin do, and Sara remembers him from her previous visit as the one who allowed them inside.

“Welcome, Daughter of The Sun, to our rumble house,” the man greets once he’s close enough to make himself heard through a whisper, smiling as he bows his head slightly, “How may I serve you?”

Sara hurries to imitate his greeting. “Thank you…?”

“Iartus, of the Wind.”

“Thank you, Mister Iartus,” Sara greets, slightly awkwardly, “For yesterday, and for now. I’m Sara.”

The man nods his head, smiling gently. “To help those in need is my calling. I’m happy to be of use.”

“Mr. Iartus, may I ask a few questions?” Sara says, glancing around in order to make sure they’re not disturbing the others.

Any signs of Avril or Aurora?’ Sara asks through her mental connection with Leaf.

Not in here… Shall I look outside, Miss Palmer?

Sure, tell me if you see them.

“Of course, Child. Ask away.”

Iartus gestures toward a more secluded corner of the temple, and Sara follows after the man’s slow steps while wondering how to better phrase what she’s about to ask.

“Earlier, you called me daughter of the sun, and I believe Aurora as well? …I was wondering what it meant.”

Better to start on the safer side, for now.

The avian man nods. “You’re both daughters of the sun, as I’m a son of the wind. Wind, Earth, Sun, Moon, Stone, and Blood… Each of us carries in us an aspect of Earus, as each of the clans were created to represent one of Their aspects.”

So, a head for each clan. Easy enough to understand, at least.

“I take it the Catkins represent the Sun? And Avians the Wind?”

“Indeed. As for the others, Wolvenkin represent Blood, Bearkin the Stone, Ratkin the aspect of Earth, and Foxkin the Moon… Or, at least, they used to.”

“What happened?”

As they stop, and Iartus turns toward Sara, he smiles sadly. “War.”

“Against… The Greenskins? What are they, exactly?”

Iartus releases a sigh, averting his gaze as he inspects some of the drawings that cover the temple’s walls… In one of them, Sara realizes, a group of something resembling goblins screams at the sky, seeming to curse at it.

“In truth, no one is certain of their origin. Some claim they are closer to monsters than people, and some claim they were created by Xiaris to sow chaos in the world… Until recently, they used to occupy the plains below, keeping mostly to themselves in some sort of endless infighting. But thirteen years past, something changed... One of them was crowned king, uniting their tribes and vowing to conquer better, more fertile lands.”

“…Yours?”

Iartus smiles. “Not exactly. The mountain range we call our home isn’t exactly their objective as much as an obstacle in their way. Our Elven and Human brethren live below, and we Beastkin suffer the unfortunate fate of separating both sides.”

“In that case, don’t you all have a common enemy? If you join forces…”

Iartus shakes his head. “I wish it were so simple. Though we partake in trade, and our species are supposedly united against the threat Xiaris represents to our world, there is little love in between us. Besides, both Humans and Elves have their own conflicts to worry about. Perhaps, were we on the verge of defeat, they’d move to help us, but until then…”

“They’d rather pretend the problem doesn’t exist in the hopes it never becomes their problem.”

Iartus smiles. “I can’t exactly blame them for wishing to avoid a war it might never become theirs.”

Sara sighs. “Well, humans are usually assholes, and elves are always worthless. It’s typical, trust me.”

Iartus shakes his head. “I’m sure there are many who wish they could join us, and many who have helped us in the past. We must not judge an entire people by the actions of their leaders.”

Sara throws Iartus a look of hopelessness.

You’re far too kind for your own good, old man…

Miss Palmer, I’ve spotted Miss Aurora leaning against a wall outside. She’s watching the temple’s doors, and she does not look happy.

Good job Leaf. Could you keep an eye on her for me?

On it.

“Was there something else you wished to discuss, Child?”

Realizing Iartus waits for her answer, Sara blinks, hushing to smile at him. “Sure! I mean, I hope you don’t find this too strange, but… Do you remember how things were before we arrived? You know, us… Chosen ones?”

Iartus cocks his head, wings stirring slightly as he seems to ponder over her question.

“They were… Mostly the same? I suppose things are certainly more lively now, but other than that…”

Oh man, how does she even go about asking somebody if they think their memories are fake?

“I see. Could you describe to me what your daily life was like?”

Iartus hums. “I spend most of my time here, making myself useful to any who might need… Merely lending an ear, more often than not. Occasionally, I offer my own prayers, or tend the garden on the back… The temple survives on donations, and so do I, so there’s rarely a need to leave, except to visit the market, but Hana has been handling the food as of late…”

Sara nods, smiling. “Thank you. Since the place I come from is very different from Eden, I’m curious about how you live. Do you mind if I ask a couple more questions?”

Fuck! She’s curious?! What couldn’t she have thought of a better excuse?!

“Not at all, not at all…”

“Do you remember the day before we arrived? Or rather, the day before that?”

Iartus nods, seeming not to mind how specific the question is. “Of course. It was a busy day, with everybody worrying about the Great Prophecy coming to fruition at last…”

“Oh. Did that foretell our arrival?” Sara guesses.

Iartus nods. “Indeed. I remember those days well, even if not much happened other than a lot of worrying for nothing.”

“And what about a month before?”

“…A month before?” Iartus frowns. “I’m afraid I won’t be able to remember anything specific from so long ago…”

“Really? Nobody’s birthday? Some sort of holiday, or accident?”

Iartus continues frowning for a moment more, then shakes his head. “My memory must’ve become weak with age. Hana’s birthday should’ve been around that time… but for the life of me…”

“No, no, it’s okay! Don’t worry about it, I was just curious…”

From his reaction, it seems Leaf might have been right about them having fake memories, though it is still too soon to be sure. She should leave the poor man alone for now…

“Just one more question…?”

Sara’s voice attracts Iartus attention once more, who seems to have become lost in his own thoughts after her last question.

The old avian man smiles patiently. “Of course, ask away, ask away…”

“Your first memory, if you don’t mind sharing it…” Sara hesitates as Iartus cocks his head, slightly murky eyes gleaming curiously, before continuing, “Mister Iartus, would you mind telling me your oldest memory, in as many details as possible?”

What sort of person asks a stranger something like this?!

Still, despite Sara’s fear, Iartus nods understandingly as he falls silent for several moments, seeming to take the question seriously.

“My first memory… You should know, something of the sort would’ve happened sixty or so odd years ago… But I suppose there’s something I do remember clearly from that time. I suspect every member of our clan does. As Avians, we were all given a ceremony on our first flight, and I remember mine as if it was yesterday…”

Iartus smiles, eyes gleaming with emotion, as he continues, “You must have spotted our towers. Our sixth birthday is also the day we are allowed to climb them for the first time; I remember the sun shining against my eyes as I stepped outside, members of my clan, my parents, their gazes filled with pride… I remember reaching the tower’s edge, staring at the city below, and further, at the valley extending beyond the wall… My wings fluttered in anticipation, but I felt no fear… No fear at all…”

A single tear slides through the old beastkin’s cheek as he lowers his gaze, causing Sara to nearly curse outload.

“I-I see. T-thank you for sharing…”

“No, I’m the one who should thank you for helping me recall such an important moment, Sara of the Sun,” Iartus says, smiling as he meets Sara’s gaze again without any of the shame or awkwardness she would’ve expected after what happened. “Alas, I believe your friend has arrived... Should we continue our conversation at a later time?”

Sara glances over her shoulder, immediately spotting Avril’s avatar as it is formed from the mud before Earus statue.

Oh.

Leaf, has Aurora moved at all?

No, Miss Palmer. Other than the occasional grumpy murmur, she remains inactive.’

‘I see, thank you.’

Sara bows her head toward Iartus. “Thank you for answering my questions, Mister Iartus.”

“It was no problem at all. A curious mind is a gift all Children of the Sun share, you need not be ashamed of it, Sara.”

After one last exchange of pleasantries, Sara finally makes her way toward Avril’s beastkin avatar, offering her fist for a fist bump as she approaches the grumpy-looking short girl.

“What’s up?”

Avril merely stares at Sara`s hand, before walking past as weaves through kneeling beastkin without as much as a look in their direction, heading for the temple’s door. “This place gives me the creeps. Did Aurora show up?”

Shrugging as she lowers her arm nonchalantly, Sara smiles as she hurries to follow after Avril. “Sure did! Leaf is keeping watch on her; They say she’s grumpy.”

“Awesome.”

Avril’s voice drips sarcasm, but Sara is not surprised. After all, the lesson of the day was that sleepy Avril equals grumpy Avril, and grumpy Avril does not enjoy being made fun of. When the others found out about her unfortunate ratkin predicament… Suffice to mention the team is hence forbidden from talking about Eden during For Glory practice.

It seems she still hasn’t recovered.

“Well, where is she?” Avril asks once they reach the temple’s open doors, stepping into Highpond’s warm morning sun and ever busy streets.

“She’s watching the entrance,” Sara says, pointing a finger as she easily spots the gray haired, tall catkin girl leaning against an alley nearby, green eyes narrowed in their direction. “See? I told you she’d show up.”

Avril just nods as she spots Aurora. “Let’s go.”

Glancing up, Sara smiles and squeezes her eyes against the sun as she spots Leaf’s squirrel form atop the temple’s rooftop.

Ready, partner?

‘…As ready as I’ll ever be, Miss Palmer.

0